Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 JUCO F Melvin Swift

Started by Hawg Red, May 23, 2015, 09:43:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

May 23, 2015, 09:43:09 am Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:08:55 pm by Hawg Red
QuoteBrad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 5 minutes ago

Trinity Valley CC forward Melvin Swift (6'8/2016) hearing from Arkansas, Wichita St, Maryland, SMU & others: http://www.jucorecruiting.com/page/show/1896691-melvin-swift-trinity-valley-cc-basketball?tab=permissions ...

Looks like early indications are the staff is targeting one guard and one forward out of the JUCO ranks to balance the 2016 class (which figures to have 5-6 open spots).

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 23, 2015, 09:43:09 am
Looks like early indications are the staff is targeting Daryl Macon and also a forward out of the JUCO ranks to balance the 2016 class (which figures to have 5-6 open spots). Macon is the only guard I can think of seeing the staff showing interest in (probably feel good about their chances), but they've been linked to several forwards now.

They have offers out to 2 JUCO guards right now. One is a pg out of Motlow St.

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 23, 2015, 12:48:45 pm
They have offers out to 2 JUCO guards right now. One is a pg out of Motlow St.

Good call.

Danny J

Good....I would much rather save two spots for guys like this than sign 2 guys just to have bodies. Coach knows he will be given some slack for this upcoming season after losing Qualls and Portis plus two other starters. He also likely knows that the jump from freshman to sophomore for Whitt(to build up his body) and for kapita(to get into shape playing really hard for 20-30MPG) will likely be tremendous. At least that is what I hope he is thinking.

mhuff

IMHO, MA will not get elite players on a regular basis until he starts playing freshman. We are going to suffer this year and lost one player because he does not know how to manage talent. If they are not any good , don't sign them. Gotta get an assistant that can recruit. There are those who would say look at the early signing period. Hey, I give him a B+/A- for those results.
So far for the late signing period I give him an F.

lefty08

Quote from: mhuff on May 24, 2015, 06:39:00 pm
IMHO, MA will not get elite players on a regular basis until he starts playing freshman. We are going to suffer this year and lost one player because he does not know how to manage talent. If they are not any good , don't sign them. Gotta get an assistant that can recruit. There are those who would say look at the early signing period. Hey, I give him a B+/A- for those results.

Can you give examples of freshmen not playing?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

-Blu

IMHO, MA will not get elite players on a regular basis until he starts playing freshman.

What are you talking about?  He started Bobby Portis as a freshman, now he's about to possibly be a lottery pick, he just started Anton Beard this previous season as a freshman and he made all SEC freshman team.  And I'm not even going to go back to his first year because almost everyone he played was freshman, so there's no point in even going to name all of them.  And in recent interviews both CMA and Coach Z have already said that they expect Jimmy Whitt to be an elite guard and major contributor.  Whitt will more likely than not start from day 1 and play close to the most minutes on the team. 

CMA doesn't care about your stars or what you did in high school, you have to earn your minutes with him.  Beard is a good example, he started off as like the 9th or 10th man in the rotation, when he got an opportunity he made the most of it and turned himself into a starter.  One thing is clear if you come to Arkansas your going to compete and nothing will be given to you. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

IMHO, MA will not get elite players on a regular basis until he starts playing freshman.

What? BJ Young, Bobby Portis, Anton Beard were all conference as freshman.  That's 3 out the 4 seasons he has been here.

Qualls played 15 per game that second year the only year we haven't had a major freshman contributor

Danny J

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 24, 2015, 07:29:50 pm
What? BJ Young, Bobby Portis, Anton Beard were all conference as freshman.  That's 3 out the 4 seasons he has been here.

Qualls played 15 per game that second year the only year we haven't had a major freshman contributor
BJ didn't start until right about 1/3 of the season was over. Beard didn't start, on a regular basis, till the season was almost half over. Portis only started because there were absolutely zero options.

I remember banging my head against the wall watching Scott and Wade, but especially Scott, starting in place of BJ his freshman year when it was clear the BJ was the best player on the team.

Danny J

I think you meant "starting" freshman from the jump or at least earlier in the season. I agree. CMA needs to start trusting these guys from the get go.

And for all of you people who don't believe that is the case just watch from day one.....Whitt will come off the bench and it will be evident from day one he is our best player. I bet it will be minimum 7 games into the season before he starts Whitt. The starting lineup IS going to be:

Beard
Bell
Watkins
Williams
Kinglsey

Unless there is an injury that will be the lineup for at least the first 7 games. There is no way that either Bell or Watkins should start ahead of Whitt and that is what will happen and that is the point Mhuff is making and I totally agree. I also agree in regards to assistants who can recruit and the job we have done late in signing periods. Terrible. If right now isn't any indication of that then you people are blind. We have more to sell recruits than we have had in almost 2 decades....and that is not an exaggeration.

We are coming off a round of 32
State of the art practice facility and hang out spot
SEC POTY
Immediate playing time
Etc......

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Danny J on May 24, 2015, 08:59:11 pm
BJ didn't start until right about 1/3 of the season was over. Beard didn't start, on a regular basis, till the season was almost half over. Portis only started because there were absolutely zero options.

I remember banging my head against the wall watching Scott and Wade, but especially Scott, starting in place of BJ his freshman year when it was clear the BJ was the best player on the team.

His statement was until Anderson starts playing freshman. Neither you or I are arguing that BJ didn't play a lot his freshman year. I could care less about starting. The kid played 25 mins a game and was second team all SEC

He wasn't riding the pine like Ky was.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 24, 2015, 09:37:44 pm
His statement was until Anderson starts playing freshman.

I believe he was implying major minutes (30+/game) for freshman impact players so as to help recruiting.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 24, 2015, 09:48:28 pm
I believe he was implying major minutes (30+/game) for freshman impact players so as to help recruiting.

And how often does that happen anywhere? Of the 8 All SEC freshman only one (Ryan Lachance of Vandy) averaged over 30 mins per game.

mhuff

Quote from: lefty08 on May 24, 2015, 07:17:32 pm
Can you give examples of freshmen not playing?

On phone.   Will not spend a lot of time on here. It takes too long.  Freshman playing is the exception not the rule . Everyone knows that. Portid was the exception .  Just go back and look at the minutes played by freshman. Don 't have to be a rocket scientist to look at the minutes played . My statement is true the vast majority of the time.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on May 24, 2015, 10:16:10 pm
On phone.   Will not spend a lot of time on here. It takes too long.  Freshman playing is the exception not the rule . Everyone knows that. Portid was the exception .  Just go back and look at the minutes played by freshman. Don 't have to be a rocket scientist to look at the minutes played . My statement is true the vast majority of the time.

What does being on the phone have to do with anything?  You had enough time to type a pretty nice size reply, but not answer the question...LOL

And CMA has had 3 All-SEC freshman the last 3 of 4 seasons, so apparently there's a few exceptions to the rule.  If your good you play it's a simple as that.  He doesn't have in his mind if your a freshman your only going to play a certain amount of minutes.

onebadrubi

Quote from: mhuff on May 24, 2015, 10:16:10 pm

You are wrong, you should leave it at that.  Up until Potis however Anderson did not start freshmen.  They might average 28-30 mpg but would not start.  Portis came and blew that out, then beard, and I have a feeling Whitt will be in the same boat

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 24, 2015, 10:11:04 pm
And how often does that happen anywhere? Of the 8 All SEC freshman only one (Ryan Lachance of Vandy) averaged over 30 mins per game.

It happens. UK had plenty of examples prior to this past season's 'platoon' situation.

Not just the SEC either. J. Okafor, Andrew Wiggins, D'Angelo Russell, Stanley Johnson, Justise Winslow....all just a few recent, recognizable names that saw 28+ minutes/game as freshmen. We tend to land better recruits when ample playing time appears readily available.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 25, 2015, 12:09:32 am
It happens. UK had plenty of examples prior to this past season's 'platoon' situation.

Not just the SEC either. J. Okafor, Andrew Wiggins, D'Angelo Russell, Stanley Johnson, Justise Winslow....all just a few recent, recognizable names that saw 28+ minutes/game as freshmen. We tend to land better recruits when ample playing time appears readily available.

Lol, it happens all the time if your school lands a 5 star that will be a top 10 pick. Which we have only landed 2 lower end 5 stars and they played 25 and 27 mpg there freshman season. That to me isn't showing a lack of williness to play freshman its a lack of freshman worth playing 28+ mins a game.

HawgAdvocate

May 25, 2015, 08:02:45 am #18 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:26:43 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 25, 2015, 01:10:07 am
Lol, it happens all the time if your school lands a 5 star that will be a top 10 pick. Which we have only landed 2 lower end 5 stars and they played 25 and 27 mpg there freshman season. That to me isn't showing a lack of williness to play freshman its a lack of freshman worth playing 28+ mins a game.

Because you failed to understand the concept behind providing the easily "recognizable" examples I provided, I'll go a step further to show you more freshmen, who aren't projected top 10 NBA picks from elite programs, that saw 28+ minutes/game this past year:

Adonys Henrquez - UCF
Jourdan Grant - MarylandBC
Wesley Person - Troy
Xavier Rathan-Mayes - Florida St.
Cornell Johnston - Eastern Illinois
Schradrac Casimir - Iona
Kory Holden - Delaware
Riley Lachance - Vanderbilt
Wade Baldwin IV - Vanderbilt
Melo Trimble - Maryland
Bryant McinToch - Northwestern
James Blackmon - Indiana
Shep Garner - Penn St.
Tyus Jones - Duke
Justin Bibbs - Virginia Tech
Ahmed Hill - Virginia Tech
Donte Grantham - Clemson
Mitchell Wilbekin - Wake Forest
Chris McCullough - Syracuse
Kevon Looney - UCLA
Dillon Brooks - Oregon

Shall I go on? Because I certainly can. Point being:
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 25, 2015, 12:09:32 am
It happens.

lefty08

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 25, 2015, 08:02:45 am
Because you failed to understand the concept behind providing the easily "recognizable" examples I provided, I'll go a step further to show you more freshmen, who aren't projected top 10 NBA picks from elite programs, that saw 28+ minutes/game this past year:

Adonys Henrquez - UCF
Wesley Person - Troy
Schradrac Casimir - Iona
Kory Holden - Delaware
Melo Trimble - Maryland
James Blackmon - Indiana
Shep Garner - Penn St.
Tyus Jones - Duke
Donte Grantham - Clemson
Kevon Looney - UCLA
Dillon Brooks - Oregon

Your reaching on this one. There are a lot of valid complaints about MA but not playing freshmen isn't one. You have succeeded in telling us all about the others though. Your passive aggressive nature and general pessimism has been noted. Its truly amazing really
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: lefty08 on May 25, 2015, 08:38:59 am
Your reaching on this one. There are a lot of valid complaints about MA but not playing freshmen isn't one. You have succeeded in telling us all about the others though. Your passive aggressive nature and general pessimism has been noted. Its truly amazing really

You need to recognize the context of what is being discussed instead of just making up petty arguments. Where in this thread have I complained about anything? I'm just sharing facts where a subject was disputed. I recognize that you fear my posts, otherwise you wouldn't be so quick to get defensive.

lefty08

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 25, 2015, 08:49:39 am
You need to recognize the context of what is being discussed instead of just making up petty arguments. Where in this thread have I complained about anything? I'm just sharing facts where a subject was disputed. I recognize that you fear my posts, otherwise you wouldn't be so quick to get defensive.

If you took that post as defensive you should stop being so defensive. Whether you like it or not, context bleeds from thread to thread. You are definitely wrong about this argument and strictly imo you are wrong about many others as well. I didn't go into any of the others so I could stay on topic. I only ask you do the same

I also hope that you understand playing time differs from team to team because of several factors. One athlete averaging 28.8 minutes for one team isn't necessarily the same as another averaging 30.2 for a different team. I know you are smart enough to realize this, but recognizing it here would mean being non biased, and that's apparently a hurdle you just can't seem to make it over. Keep up the fight though, one of these years you will get your wish and MA will fall flat or retire. I keep wishing to hit the PowerBall as well and I'm hoping for similar results as you. Oh, and as you like to say........good day

netteltonhog

And I thought this thread was about a juco player. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: lefty08 on May 25, 2015, 09:00:10 am
You are definitely wrong about this argument

You clearly don't understand what 'context' is. There are plenty of freshman each year that play major minutes for their individual teams.

The rest of your post is just your usual petty nonsense.

chiti66

Honestly, there is a perception that CMA will not start a Frosh right off the bat.  I too got frustrated last year when it was obvious that Beard should have been the PG all along and KY to SG.  But I do trust CMA and he has his own way of bringing the Frosh along slowly. 

Many of us, including me, would rather play the Frosh (if he is the better player) and allow him to learn by fire.  The better way of doing things in my opinion would be to start the Frosh, but limits his minutes.  I would rather bring him along slowly in that manner.  With that said, and if Whitt is what we believe him to be, and we don't bring in Leon, then it would be cool to see this line-up starting next year:

Beard
Whitt
Bell
Williams
Moses

If we do land Leon, and he is what we think he is, or can be, then I would think the best line-up would be:

Beard
Whitt
Leon
Williams
Moses

We are not as bad off as some think.  We will be fine, IMHO.

Woo Pig!

mhuff

Quote from: lefty08 on May 25, 2015, 09:00:10 am
If you took that post as defensive you should stop being so defensive. Whether you like it or not, context bleeds from thread to thread. You are definitely wrong about this argument and strictly imo you are wrong about many others as well. I didn't go into any of the others so I could stay on topic. I only ask you do the same

I also hope that you understand playing time differs from team to team because of several factors. One athlete averaging 28.8 minutes for one team isn't necessarily the same as another averaging 30.2 for a different team. I know you are smart enough to realize this, but recognizing it here would mean being non biased, and that's apparently a hurdle you just can't seem to make it over. Keep up the fight though, one of these years you will get your wish and MA will fall flat or retire. I keep wishing to hit the PowerBall as well and I'm hoping for similar results as you. Oh, and as you like to say........good day

Lefty , you make a lot of good comments on here: however, there are too many posters on here that attack the poster when they can't refute the argument.

No one likes to ride the pine.... no matter what classification you are. Still, one only has to look at minutes played to see that freshmen under MA don't get the minutes as a general rule. That is definitely true for most teams across the country. Still, once again, if we want elite players, they will not come to ride a bench. Whether it's FB,BB, or marble shooting, everyone wants PT. It does not enhance our cause by sitting them.

-Blu.... I respect your opinions ,and I am not trying to start anything. However, you seem to have the propensity of starting stuff with posters for no apparent reason at all. I have a phone that I hate to respond to a post or whatever.... takes too long.... But with all due respect it is none of your business whether I want to do something or not. I mean why should I care whether you think whatever about what I like to do or not or how easy it is to do. If it is easy for you, I salute you for being so talented..... I am not.... As a famous American, Clint Eastwood, once said, " A man has to know his limitations." As for the discussion of playing time for freshmen, you did make the statement that there were a " Few exceptions." By your own admission ..... it is a few or a minority rather than a majority. As I have stated before, "If we want elite players, we can't expect them to come to a team where they know they will ride the pine. Furthermore, how much did it help Kingsley or Thompson , one a freshman, to not get PT? You think we will need them this coming year? They could have played more in nonconference games. You think Babb would have left if he hadn't been screwed..... His talent was squandered........    absolutely brilliant.... MA was going to keep him here with some after season platitudes after screwing him the whole year....... Genius at the highest level. It is a wonder that we kept Thompson and Kingsley.

mhuff

Quote from: netteltonhog on May 25, 2015, 09:42:01 am
And I thought this thread was about a juco player. 

You are absolutely right. I apologize for getting off topic.

chiti66

mhuff....I agree 100% with your post.  IMO, with the players that we had last year, and I watched nearly every game, it was really no reason that every player shouldn't have played in every game.  I also agree that Babb should have gotten at least half of Manny's minutes.  Same goes for Miles and Trey.  ZERO reason for them to not have logged at least 5 minutes a game. 

CMA is stubborn, but it is borne out of the success he has obtained throughout his coaching career.  He has to tweak his philosophy a bit to continue to be successful, IMHO!

Woo Pig!

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on May 25, 2015, 11:06:25 am
-Blu.... I respect your opinions ,and I am not trying to start anything. However, you seem to have the propensity of starting stuff with posters for no apparent reason at all. I have a phone that I hate to respond to a post or whatever.... takes too long.... But with all due respect it is none of your business whether I want to do something or not.

What posters do I start stuff with?  If I'm out of line somewhere I'm sure a mod will let me know, and that's yet to happen.  And honestly if it gets to the point where I have to "start stuff" with someone I put them on ignore and recommend they do the same thing for me, it's not that serious it's just a message board.  I just responded to your comment about CMA not starting and/or playing freshman which is inaccurate and other posters have provided information on why that's inaccurate as well.  If your defintion of "starting stuff" is not agreeing with inaccurate statements, I'm guilty as charged.

And your right it is none of my business what your doing, so don't come on a public message board and tell us LOL.  I just thought it was odd you had time to type out a nice size reply while you were busy with something else, but not answer a question that could have been answered in a shorter reply.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on May 25, 2015, 11:25:37 am
What posters do I start stuff with?  If I'm out of line somewhere I'm sure a mod will let me know, and that's yet to happen.  And honestly if it gets to the point where I have to "start stuff" with someone I put them on ignore and recommend they do the same thing for me, it's not that serious it's just a message board.  I just responded to your comment about CMA not starting and/or playing freshman which is inaccurate and other posters have provided information on why that's inaccurate as well.  If your defintion of "starting stuff" is not agreeing with inaccurate statements, I'm guilty as charged.

And your right it is none of my business what your doing, so don't come on a public message board and tell us LOL.  I just thought it was odd you had time to type out a nice size reply while you were busy with something else, but not answer a question that could have been answered in a shorter reply.

I don't think you thought anything..... you just ran your mouth..... It is none of your business how I do anything.....

You do all right for a while and then you start attacking the poster instead of their argument. I won't waste time addressing this issue any longer. There are certain posters who like to jerk people around like a dog chasing its tail.... much to do about nothing.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on May 25, 2015, 11:33:47 am

I don't think you thought anything..... you just ran your mouth..... It is none of your business how I do anything.....

You do all right for a while and then you start attacking the poster instead of their argument. I won't waste time addressing this issue any longer. There are certain posters who like to jerk people around like a dog chasing its tail.... much to do about nothing.

Huff, you always try to do that, make it seem like someone is attacking you if they don't agree with you.  Like I said, I don't care what you do or how you do it, your the one posted your business and now trying to make a big deal out of nothing.  Like I said if that is going to get you upset and make you feel like I'm attacking you, I would recommend using the ignore feature on me, I got a couple guys on there myself.

I don't want anyone to feel like I'm attacking them.  It's a message board it's discussions and debates, if your looking for someone to agree with everything you say and be the most polite person in the world, then I'm not your guy.

WarPig88

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 25, 2015, 08:02:45 am

Adonys Henrquez - UCF
Wesley Person - Troy
Schradrac Casimir - Iona
Kory Holden - Delaware
Melo Trimble - Maryland
James Blackmon - Indiana
Shep Garner - Penn St.
Tyus Jones - Duke
Donte Grantham - Clemson
Kevon Looney - UCLA
Dillon Brooks - Oregon

If the point was that teams that play frosh a lot tend to be sorry teams, then you made your point.

mhuff

May 25, 2015, 12:58:15 pm #32 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:25:30 pm by mhuff
Quote from: -Blu on May 25, 2015, 11:46:20 am
Huff, you always try to do that, make it seem like someone is attacking you if they don't agree with you.  Like I said, I don't care what you do or how you do it, your the one posted your business and now trying to make a big deal out of nothing.  Like I said if that is going to get you upset and make you feel like I'm attacking you, I would recommend using the ignore feature on me, I got a couple guys on there myself.

I don't want anyone to feel like I'm attacking them.  It's a message board it's discussions and debates, if your looking for someone to agree with everything you say and be the most polite person in the world, then I'm not your guy.

-Blu, you are the one who could never win a legitimate argument so you would attack the person..... that is your mode of operation..... Change subject by attacking the poster..... brilliant strategy..... Man that is fine with me. Is it Dr. Jeckel or Mr. Hyde today?

I have put you on ignore. You are just too immature to put up with your crap. I have never cared whether you agreed with me or not. I just didn't want you to ruin this board with your 9th grade behavior.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on May 25, 2015, 12:58:15 pm
-Blu, you are the one who could never win a legitimate argument so you would attack the person..... that is your mode of operation..... Change subject by attacking the poster..... brilliant strategy..... Man that is fine with me. Is it Dr. Jeckel or Mr. Hyde today?

Huff, you don't know what an attack is apparently.  An attack is what your doing by calling someone "Dr. Jeckel and Mr.Hyde" someone telling you your statement is inaccurate and posting the evidence is just proving you wrong.  It's a freakin message board people are going to disagree, argue, and debate subjects, nobody on here has a personal vendetta against you and want to attack you, as you are always claiming. 

And you always do that every time someone doesn't agree with you go run and cry "They are attacking me." The mods on here do a good job of monitoring things, if everybody was attacking you like you claim there would have been some bans, warnings, or something.  I've received none of those.  If you have that big of a problem with the way I post as I said please put me on ignore, because you've been added to my ignore list, I have no interest in having conversations with people that can't hold a simple conversation without getting defensive and their feelings hurt because nobody agrees with them.

HOGINTENNESSEE

May 25, 2015, 01:51:04 pm #34 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:17:28 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 25, 2015, 09:49:35 am
You clearly don't understand what 'context' is. There are plenty of freshman each year that play major minutes for their individual teams.

The rest of your post is just your usual petty nonsense.

Maybe this is my fault. When I said "And how often does that happen anywhere?" I meant a percentage. Not if you could list some players that did play 30+ per game as were over 1,100 true freshman last year in college basketball.

But the fact is I can't find where this is common practice. I'm going to break down the Power 5 conferences. As those are the schools we normally compete with for recruits.

There were 278 freshman last year in the Power 5 conference. 12 played more than 30+ mins 20 played more than 28+ mins. That's about 4.3% and 7.1% of all freshman in the P5 conference.

So that's about 18% of teams in the Power 5 play freshman that much. (Duke had 3 of those 12 with Okafor almost missing the cut at 30.1, but one could argue that was aided by the fact Duke only had 8 scholarship players.)

You may consider this a lot. I do not.

Shall I go on? Because I certainly can

King Kong

Redbug

Quote from: chiti66 on May 25, 2015, 11:15:28 am
mhuff....I agree 100% with your post.  IMO, with the players that we had last year, and I watched nearly every game, it was really no reason that every player shouldn't have played in every game.  I also agree that Babb should have gotten at least half of Manny's minutes.  Same goes for Miles and Trey.  ZERO reason for them to not have logged at least 5 minutes a game. 

CMA is stubborn, but it is borne out of the success he has obtained throughout his coaching career.  He has to tweak his philosophy a bit to continue to be successful, IMHO!

Woo Pig!

I tend to agree with both you and huff....in the same way we waste too much time pressing the texas souther's and nichol's states of the world the whole game up 20+ instead of sometimes working to refiner our halfcourt offense and getting used to looking for and reeiving the pass...motion off ball etc... for when we come up against the Tennessee's etc...even if they are playing man instead of a matchup zone like Tenner and others...

we should give our other guys minutes in the ooc games when possible...Babb and Beard early should have gotten minutes not from Watkins but Durham...he was the WEAK LINK. The Beard Watkins combo was our BEST backcourt early on...they got the other guys the ball at the correct spot on time and the offense flowed much better...Thompson and Moses should have gotten more of Jacorey's PT...it was just wasted opportunities by the staff....

And before anybody says yeah but what about defense....NONE of our guards other than Watkins could guard worth a damn...They were all turnstiles or revolving doors on the way to the rim...Beard got better and showed his HIGH BB IQ with his off ball help defense where he stripped tons of balls into steals...and Madden with his quickness limitations WORKED HIS ASS OFF and made a solid contribution...

So far Miles = D. Wagner....a wasted spot on the bench for 2 years where someone could have been maturing and gaining valuable experience to help soften the loss of Portis, Qualls, Madden, and Harris...

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 25, 2015, 01:51:04 pm
Maybe this is my fault. When I said "And how often does that happen anywhere?" I meant a percentage...

That's a heck of a curveball you're trying to throw.

King Kong

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 25, 2015, 04:23:40 pm
That's a heck of a curveball you're trying to throw.

A guy states he thinks it's rare that teams play fresh and 30+ mins per game (a number you made up).

You insult a guy in addition to lowing the Range to 28+ mins a game to make your point sound better.

Then he proves with facts showing that P5 teams didn't really play that many freshman 30+ or 28 + mins per game a numbers you came up with and that poster is still wrong.

Teach me your ways

Atlhogfan1

May 25, 2015, 05:00:33 pm #39 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:45:25 am by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on May 26, 2015, 09:52:58 am
Sure learned a lot about Melvin Swift in this thread.
;D
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 23, 2015, 09:43:09 am
Looks like early indications are the staff is targeting one guard and one forward out of the JUCO ranks to balance the 2016 class (which figures to have 5-6 open spots).
Thanks for bringing the info.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: King Kong on May 25, 2015, 04:56:36 pm
A guy states he thinks it's rare that teams play fresh and 30+ mins per game (a number you made up).

You insult a guy in addition to lowing the Range to 28+ mins a game to make your point sound better.

Then he proves with facts showing that P5 teams didn't really play that many freshman 30+ or 28 + mins per game a numbers you came up with and that poster is still wrong.

Teach me your ways

Insult, really? Some of you just throw context out the window and make it up as you go.

All I did was prove that freshman can play major minutes without being top 10 projected draft picks.

King Kong

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 26, 2015, 12:44:58 am
Insult, really? Some of you just throw context out the window and make it up as you go.

All I did was prove that freshman can play major minutes without being top 10 projected draft picks.

You said and I quote "you failed to understand the concept behind providing the easily "recognizable". That not insulting or taking down to I don't know what is. Then you threw in this nugget at the end "Shall I go on? Because I certainly can"

Yeah you insulted him for something that happens in about 1/4 or 1/5 teams in all P5 conferences.

Which I don't consider a lot. But apparently you do.

It's hard to say you are completely wrong as what is a lot in the situation I guess is subjective.

CallMeAl

Hog since birth.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Nice player. Hope we get him

ifghog

Yes this thread was total waste of time. Nice pissing match guys....