Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would Nolan Have Retired....

Started by orvillesghost, March 17, 2017, 09:45:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

orvillesghost

I was thinking about the UA-UNC rivalry and remember well the national semifinal in 1995 when we downed UNC.

I got to wondering, do you think Nolan would have retired if we would have went on to beat UCLA and repeat? I seem to remember a bit of talk about that at the time but perhaps am mistaken.

I always felt like he lost a little of his fire and drive after that year since he had accomplished the ultimate.

This is not intended as any form of criticism, just wondering about it

Thoughts?

Arazorbackguy1

No way.  Kareem was going to be the pg in 96, along with highly touted Hood and Wilson. Robinson and Wilson were going to be dubbed the twin towers.  Robinson left for NBA and the fallout of Adabayo ensued.  :(
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Slater

Scott Edgar would have been next coach? Remember when Murray State almost beat us in 92?
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

The_Iceman

I think if the 1996 class wouldn't have fallen apart, we could have been back in the final 4. Also, losing Chris Jefferies to transfer set up back as well. Jefferies, Hood, Bradley, and Reid could have taken us far.

sadhogfan

Quote from: orvillesghost on March 17, 2017, 09:45:26 pm
I was thinking about the UA-UNC rivalry and remember well the national semifinal in 1995 when we downed UNC.

I got to wondering, do you think Nolan would have retired if we would have went on to beat UCLA and repeat? I seem to remember a bit of talk about that at the time but perhaps am mistaken.

I always felt like he lost a little of his fire and drive after that year since he had accomplished the ultimate.

This is not intended as any form of criticism, just wondering about it

Thoughts?

Nolan is on record as saying that if we would have won the '95 Championship, he believes that Corliss and Scotty would have returned because the chance of a 3-peat would have been so enticing.

Just let your mind play "What-If" for a moment:

Perhaps we wouldn't have brought in Pate and Adebayo, who were JUCO transfers presumably plugging the holes of departed Juniors. Reid would replace Beck at PG (a downgrade, perhaps, but still, an excellent PG). Hood provides added depth down low to Corliss and the twin towers, and the most exciting thing of all to think of: Thurman and Bradley ON THE SAME TEAM RAINING DOWN THREES ALL OVER THE PLACE.

What might have been.