Was it a flagrant foul? POLL

Flagrant
176 (88.4%)
No
23 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 198

sickboy

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 17, 2017, 03:03:24 pm
Wonder why Vandy guy didn't get called for a Flagrant 1 yesterday?

Point in case. Technically -- that's a flagrant 1.

hogsanity

Quote from: sickboy on March 17, 2017, 03:01:29 pm
Now, what this shines a light on -- i just how much referees let flagrant fouls happen all the time at the end of games in these situations. It's so common for players to reach out with two hands and grab or shove a player to get them to the line -- that It's kind of crazy how much I never noticed it.

Basketball is the only sport where a team can benefit from committing violations. It is why I have long wanted to see the team that is fouled given the choice of shooting the ft's or just inbounding the ball at half court.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 17, 2017, 02:59:51 pm
Barford doesn't fall, they don't call Flagrant 1. In my opinion.

This
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

311Hog

after they put up the text of the rule is when i thought it was a flagrant 1.  I mean it says a push with no play on the ball.  And SH guy definitely pushed hard in the back with 2 hands.

How about that block from Moses though OMG!

HogFansReunited

By rule it is a flagrant, I just don't like the rule.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

PonderinHog

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Accidentally voted a no bc I'm an idiot. Was that a flagrant? Yes. Even SH's message board understands the rulebook.

forrest city joe

For once we had the ref make the right call for Arkansas.not even a close call.the rule is clear.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2017, 03:05:38 pm
Basketball is the only sport where a team can benefit from committing violations.

College football has a little bit of that too.  If you are a DB and getting burnt then just tackle the receiver.  15 yard penalty and redo.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MissippHog

Some of you "fans" act like you're disappointed that the correct call was made.  And SH fans can whine all they want about that call but it doesn't change the fact that the Hogs whipped their ass the final 5 minutes of the game.

The_Iceman

PonderinHog

Quote from: factchecker on March 17, 2017, 03:07:37 pm
College football has a little bit of that too.  If you are a DB and getting burnt then just tackle the receiver.  15 yard penalty and redo.
Thanks to SMU vs. Arkansas.

WorfHog

Quote from: Bigmac2 on March 17, 2017, 02:50:06 pm
Correct call regardless. Just thankful this was not a SEC officiating crew.

Doug Shows would have called it a foul against Barford for charging his shoe. 

TexasRazorback

It was not a flagrant foul. Bad call. Good hard fought win though. Time to get ready for UNC

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

razorhog52

I don't like that it was called bc that all they'll talk about our game. The walk by seton hall is what decided the game.

HogFoo

Quote from: MissippHog on March 17, 2017, 03:12:25 pm
Some of you "fans" act like you're disappointed that the correct call was made.  And SH fans can whine all they want about that call but it doesn't change the fact that the Hogs whipped their ass the final 5 minutes of the game.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RanSolo on March 17, 2017, 02:47:32 pm
I thought so, he two hand shoved him from behind with no play on the ball.
By the college rule book, yes. My Youngsta's rule book, no. Glad we play by the college rule book ;D.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

johnfanman

I agree with Ole Barkley on this one. By the way the rule is written it was a flagrant. However, it was unintentional contact on the trip. Gave us the game, instead of winning it out right. That being said, we played decent and had the lead before the foul. So good job Hogs all around.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Bigmac2 on March 17, 2017, 02:50:06 pm
Correct call regardless. Just thankful this was not a SEC officiating crew.

it was partly an SEC crew, Sirmons and Nance, although in the NCAA every official is viewed as an NCAA official, not a conference official, and these two call all over.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

WorfHog

F EM ARKANSAS MOVES ON!!!!

Jim Harris

Quote from: TexasRazorback on March 17, 2017, 03:14:33 pm
It was not a flagrant foul. Bad call. Good hard fought win though. Time to get ready for UNC

Sure it was. In fact, it followed the description of this year's Flagrant 1 rule to a T.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: TexasRazorback on March 17, 2017, 03:14:33 pm
It was not a flagrant foul. Bad call.

Incorrect.  National director of officiating confirmed the call as absolutely correct on national television after game.  Very articulately, too.  Shame you missed it.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Biggus Piggus

Here was this journalist's reply to my comment on his mistaken interpretation of the Barford call.

https://twitter.com/robertbrender/status/842830980322811904
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

jgphillips3

Under the rules, it is absolutely flagrant.  Good call.  Maybe refs do try to refrain from calling that in that situation but Barford had a clear lane to score, there was no play on the ball, arms extended two hand shove in the back plus the trip.  They had to call it.

lc480

There was no reason for the SH player to shove him down the refs had already called the foul, but he shoved him to the floor!

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: MissippHog on March 17, 2017, 03:12:25 pm

It's pretty transparent, really.  They are frustrated that Mike got handed such a big achievement like that.  We were still in the driver's seat in that game, but the idea that the opportunity to screw it up, their last hope for Mike to be dealt a painful blow like that, was snatched from them so violently.

I mean, even if you disagreed with it, you would say things like "whew we finally got a 'break' in the calls when it mattered," or "or bad call but I'll take it!"  Things like that.  Just coming out and arguing so hard for it to be the wrong call makes it just obvious what's really going on.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on March 17, 2017, 03:07:37 pm

but the offense does not have to then try a 35 yd FG so the D can get the ball back.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2017, 03:05:38 pm
Basketball is the only sport where a team can benefit from committing violations. It is why I have long wanted to see the team that is fouled given the choice of shooting the ft's or just inbounding the ball at half court.

Intentional walk anyone?

Science Fiction Greg

What violation is committed during an intentional walk?

GoHogsGo

Quote from: HogFoo on March 17, 2017, 03:05:05 pm
Ill put it this way.  It was a F1 .  plain and simple after they looked at it on the monitor.  Now, would they have called it had Barford not been tripped?  Who knows.  It definitely brought their attention to it because they had to go to the monitor to look for excessive  force.  Which the trip was purely an accident.  No intent behind it.  But, by him doing that, it made them stop the clock, look at the video, when they did, they saw both hands on the back, no attempt at the ball, they saw that they then had to call it an F1.   That's how it goes.   Hogs win.  Hogs win.  Hogs win.  F1 or not.  Hogs win.

This is the best summary of what happened.  If the trip doesn't happen there's a good chance the foul isn't checked on the monitor and it stays as a common foul.  But the trip did happen and it was aggravated by the shove.  The two combined forced the officials to check and it was correctly ruled a flagrant. 

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 17, 2017, 03:24:26 pm
Intentional walk anyone?

Not a violation. Also, after the IBB, the offense does not get one pitch to hit a homer or lose their time at bat either. Basketball is the only sport where a team can commit a violation with the sole purpose of stopping the clock and forcing the offense to do something with the clock stopped, that will involve the defense having the opportunity to gain possession of the ball.

hogsanity

There is no question that "by the book" it was a f1. There is also no question that in any close game in this tournament still to come that there will be many f1's committed by teams trying to stop the clock, and it is very doubtful we see another called in that situation. Maybe this call will finally shed light on that.

Biggus Piggus

I noticed that a lot of people who are howling about that call thought Barford flopped + were unaware he was tripped.
[CENSORED]!

HamIAm

Glad we won. Bottom line.  I knew it was a flagrant, but that happens all the time and is not called. I think what we are all wanting is consistency in the way games are called.

hogsanity

Quote from: HamIAm on March 17, 2017, 03:35:42 pm
Glad we won. Bottom line.  I knew it was a flagrant, but that happens all the time and is not called. I think what we are all wanting is consistency in the way games are called.

well, the consistent call there is a foul and Barford to the line. Everyone knows in the last minute the team behind is fouling intentionally, not playing the ball, but it is CONSISTENTLY not called a f1.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 17, 2017, 03:03:24 pm
Wonder why Vandy guy didn't get called for a Flagrant 1 yesterday?

If you are referring to the foul by a Fisher-Davi: Does it matter if he wasn't trying to prevent a score?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HoopS

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 17, 2017, 03:34:29 pm
I noticed that a lot of people who are howling about that call thought Barford flopped + were unaware he was tripped.
blinded by hate. Of our team. Our fans.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: HamIAm on March 17, 2017, 03:35:42 pm

It really doesn't.  I'd love to see video of some of these uncalled two hand shoves in the back when the ballhandler has a clear path to the basket.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2017, 03:37:47 pm
well, the consistent call there is a foul and Barford to the line. Everyone knows in the last minute the team behind is fouling intentionally, not playing the ball, but it is CONSISTENTLY not called a f1.

Shove from behind would have been acceptable, but tripping Barford too was too much. Even you have to admit that.
[CENSORED]!

Hogeye_Pierce

Flagrant. End of discussion.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 17, 2017, 03:40:12 pm
Shove from behind would have been acceptable, but tripping Barford too was too much. Even you have to admit that.

The trip looked incidental, but yes, that was what lead to it being called a f1. Without the foot contact I doubt it gets called that way.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2017, 03:41:39 pm
The trip looked incidental, but yes, that was what lead to it being called a f1. Without the foot contact I doubt it gets called that way.

Agree completely.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on March 17, 2017, 03:39:41 pm
It really doesn't.  I'd love to see video of some of these uncalled two hand shoves in the back when the ballhandler has a clear path to the basket.

It is not always a shove from behind, but how many times when a team is trying to stop the clock do they just reach out and grab a guy, or slap a guys are, or basically bear hug him, and no f1 is called? Those are ALL intention fouls with no play on the ball.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HoopS on March 17, 2017, 03:38:07 pm
blinded by hate. Of our team. Our fans.
Hey, I thought Barford "sold" the call too, until I saw the replay.   Refs got this one right!