Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Just Happened?!

Started by Youngsta71701, March 17, 2017, 02:44:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Did Arkansas finally get a break from an official :-\. I'll take it. :razorback:
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

daprospecta

First round is over and we are still in it!!!!!

EastexHawg

That call was terrible.  There is no such thing as an "intentional" foul call, which by the way I think there should be, and that did not meet any standard anyone has ever seen for a flagrant call.  The worst part is they reviewed it and changed the call to flagrant.

Science Fiction Greg

I was surprised, too, but I wouldn't call it a break.  It fit the description they put on the screen for a flagrant 1 to the letter.  Weber's excuse was you can't call that because they are instructed to foul.  Nice one, Chris.  I guess as long as the coach instructs them to, it's legal to sit cross legged inside the actual basket with an umbrella.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

synthartist69

Guy shoved us..... its pretty clear.... fragrant

TebowHater

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 17, 2017, 02:46:21 pm
That call was terrible.  There is no such thing as an "intentional" foul call, which by the way I think there should be, and that did not meet any standard anyone has ever seen for a flagrant call.  The worst part is they reviewed it and changed the call to flagrant.

Actually, it 100% met the definition. The issue was just so many other calls meet the definition and are NEVER called at end of games. Really sucks for SH they decided to enforce there, but technically correct.

HoopS

no.  He clearly pushed him making no play on the ball. Correct call.

hogfooey

Quote from: synthartist69 on March 17, 2017, 02:47:51 pm
Maybe, Maybe not, but that wouldn't have been called a flagrant 1 most of the time.  I'll take it, but would have been pissed if it happened to the Hogs.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

ShadowHawg

Yes there is. Vanderbilt got one on a break away in our game just last week in the SEC tournament. It just didn't come at a critical juncture of the game so it wasn't a big deal.

rhames

Didn't make a play on the ball
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Razorback_Mack

He made both free throws anyway. They were rattled and we caused it. We were just more mentally tough.  We would've won that game regardless of that call.

HoopS

The guys who know know it was right. Learn the rules.

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

SoonerSooie

They made no attempt, even a feeble one, to make a play on the ball. It was a two handed push, with no play on the ball, meeting the very wording of the definition of "flagant 1."

HouSwine

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on March 17, 2017, 02:47:15 pm
I was surprised, too, but I wouldn't call it a break.  It fit the description they put on the screen for a flagrant 1 to the letter.  Weber's excuse was you can't call that because they are instructed to foul.  Nice one, Chris.  I guess as long as the coach instructs them to, it's legal to sit cross legged inside the actual basket with an umbrella.
+1

HoopS

I'm sure hogville knows the rules better than Bruce Pearl and the CBS panel.

Chris Weber loved on Seton Hall all game. And he's the only one who saw it as not flagrant.

The call was 100% correct.

I know it sucks we won. I'm sorry.

HawgnCorona

It was a flagrant foul...Bonehead move by Rodriguez. The refs did not gives us a break. They did there job and made the right call..
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

hogfooey

Quote from: HoopS on March 17, 2017, 02:55:10 pm
I'm sure hogville knows the rules better than Bruce Pearl and the CBS panel.

Chris Weber loved on Seton Hall all game. And he's the only one who saw it as not flagrant.

The call was 100% correct.

I know it sucks we won. I'm sorry.
Actually Chris loved on the Hogs as well.  Didn't mind him at all.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

HoopS

Quote from: hogfooey on March 17, 2017, 02:56:26 pm
well he is wrong on this.

It was fragrant alright. it stunk. But I'm glad they did it.

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm sure it wasn't fragrant to SH.  More like a foul odor to them.,
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HawgnCorona

Wrong...Rodriguez made no play on the ball. The same rule applies if it where a break away...Look up the rule and educate yourself...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

hawgmasta

Who cares? We won. Can't reverse it now !

EastexHawg

I really hate that teams are allowed to use fouling to make it impossible for opponents to run their offense as they see fit at the end of games (see Kansas vs. Memphis in the championship game for Exhibit A), but we see the exact same play and same foul in every game every day.  That the officials chose to call that a flagrant foul, be it that situation or any other, is hard to understand.

I personally think that on all fouls in the last two minutes the team that is fouled should have the option of one free throw and taking the ball out of bounds.  That would speed up the ends of games and force teams to play defense rather than relying on fouling.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on March 17, 2017, 02:47:15 pm
I was surprised, too, but I wouldn't call it a break.  It fit the description they put on the screen for a flagrant 1 to the letter. 

Case closed.

NoogaHog

Yeah, I thought he was gonna propose marriage to Hannahs.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

HoopS

The rules chairman said it was right. But carry on you bullheads.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: hawgmasta on March 17, 2017, 02:58:42 pm
Who cares? We won. Can't reverse it now !

In the bigger picture sir, you are correct. HOGS WIN!!! HOGS WIN!!!

EastexHawg

Quote from: SoonerSooie on March 17, 2017, 02:52:23 pm
They made no attempt, even a feeble one, to make a play on the ball. It was a two handed push, with no play on the ball, meeting the very wording of the definition of "flagant 1."

That a foul is intentional doesn't make it flagrant.  If that was the case there would be 11 flagrant fouls calls at the end of every game when a team is down multiple possessions in the last 90 seconds.

a0ashle

It was push in the back with open lane to the basket. He should have hugged him.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 17, 2017, 03:01:57 pm
That a foul is intentional doesn't make it flagrant.  If that was the case there would be 11 flagrant fouls calls at the end of every game when a team is down multiple possessions in the last 90 seconds.

Make a play on the ball and they aren't.

Seaghawg

I'm surprised Weber didn't call a time out there, oh wait, he he didn't have any time outs..................

EastexHawg

I wish I had the ability to see and believe whatever fits what I want to happen.  It must be a real gift.

sickboy

Smells like a win to me!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 17, 2017, 03:01:57 pm

You need to talk to the rules committee. You get no support in HV....He made no play on the and push him to create the foul. By definition it is a flagrant I.

Stop trolling< you know better....

HoopS

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 17, 2017, 03:05:04 pm
I wish I had the ability to see and believe whatever fits what I want to happen.  It must be a real gift.
thats hilarious. Because I could have sworn you were one of the big anti Mike guys. No? Because you saw it wrong. At least according to the rules commissioner. Dude didn't even swipe at the ball. How could you not see that? And if you did, then you know it's an F1. Unless you don't follow basketball close enough to know that rule and that's fine. But Seth Davis and the panel disagrees with you. As well as the rules commissioner.

Who's seeing this wrong?

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 17, 2017, 03:05:04 pm

I guess the national director of officiating, who confirmed, very articulately, that the call was exactly correct, was seeing whatever I wanted him to see, too.  I'm a wizard!

Wild Bill Hog

Yep, it smelled great.

HawgnCorona

He would have been better off to just trip him...The push is what did it.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Seaghawg on March 17, 2017, 03:03:42 pm
I'm surprised Weber didn't call a time out there, oh wait, he he didn't have any time outs..................

When did that ever stop him.

hawgdavis

He didn't make a play on the ball he just pushed the player in the back therefore it was an intentional or flagrant foul. You have to atleast attempt to go for the ball

hawgdavis

They just said it was the correct call on the at the half show

EastexHawg

Quote from: HoopS on March 17, 2017, 03:09:38 pm
thats hilarious. Because I could have sworn you were one of the big anti Mike guys. No? Because you saw it wrong. At least according to the rules commissioner. Dude didn't even swipe at the ball. How could you not see that? And if you did, then you know it's an F1. Unless you don't follow basketball close enough to know that rule and that's fine. But Seth Davis and the panel disagrees with you. As well as the rules commissioner.

Who's seeing this wrong?

Wait, get a rules official to agree with a call is all it takes for Hogville?  I could have sworn that I read over and over what BS it was when Dusty and Moses were called for flagrant fouls, Dusty for raising his forearms and elbows and thrusting them into a Kentucky player, and Moses for hitting a guy in the face because he didn't want him to throw a pass for an alley oop dunk.

That same foul is committed in every game every day.  Putting one or both arms on or around a player, making no REAL attempt to go for the ball or do anything other than commit a quick foul to stop the clock.  It's never called a flagrant foul.  You like the call now because it went the Hogs' way.  We'll see how much you like it if the shoe is ever on the other foot.

SDZ_Hog

Question is if we did that to UK at the end of the game how many talking heads would be calling it a dirty play? Change the circumstance  but not the play

hawganatic

SHHHHHH!!!!  Don't ruin his "everybody wants Arkansas to lose" conspiracy theory.  Don't take that away from him....

Chris Webber is actually the best play by play I've heard in a while.  Balanced on both sides, good insight, well spoken, and called the game instead of drawing attention to himself (like Vitale and so many other announcers try to do anymore).

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 17, 2017, 03:16:46 pm
Wait, get a rules official to agree with a call is all it takes for Hogville?  I could have sworn that I read over and over what BS it was when Dusty and Moses were called for flagrant fouls, Dusty for raising his forearms and elbows and thrusting them into a Kentucky player, and Moses for hitting a guy in the face because he didn't want him to throw a pass for an alley oop dunk.

That same foul is committed in every game every day.  Putting one or both arms on or around a player, making no REAL attempt to go for the ball or do anything other than commit a quick foul to stop the clock.  It's never called a flagrant foul.  You like the call now because it went the Hogs' way.  We'll see how much you like it if the shoe is ever on the other foot.

No, what it took was for the action to follow, word for word, the definition of a flagrant one foul.  The rules official spelling it out for you, slowly, using little words, was just for you.  The rest of us had it figured out pretty quickly.  By the way, he also dispatched the "that same fould is committed in every game every day" argument.  So did Bruce Pearl.  BRUCE PEARL.  I don't like or dislike the call.  It was simply the correct call.  Your problem is you think whether someone likes or doesn't like a call matters AT ALL.  It doesn't.

hawg66

Quote from: HawgnCorona on March 17, 2017, 03:11:57 pm
He would have been better off to just trip him...The push is what did it.
Actually I think he would have gotten a common foul without the trip . When they reviewed the trip it was obvious he made no play on the ball.

HoopS

What can I say.  There's a lot of idiots on hogville. I'm not one of them. I tell the truth even when it brings the wrath of posters. I don't care. It was an F1. Plain and simple.

You ask what I would have done if the shoe was on the other foot? I would have gone against the grain here asking why our player didn't at least make a BS swipe at the ball because had their guy done that, it wouldn't have been an F1.

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 17, 2017, 03:16:46 pm

It's shocking that you're in this thread after a win arguing against the hogs.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 17, 2017, 03:35:47 pm
It's shocking that you're in this thread after a win arguing against the hogs.
ikr