Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike's loyalty: long-term genius or major flaw?.

Started by Rbill, January 09, 2018, 10:15:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

First of all, my criticisms should be taken with a grain of salt because I'm a huge Mike fan who just can't help but think of possible flaws in all sorts things I see in life.
During the morning sports programs on the radio I heard Mike's press conference and started reflecting on how much he talked about Trey Thompson and how well he played in the last game and how badly we need him. Of course a well-playing Trey is great. No argument there.
But it got me thinking about his loyalty and stubbornness for better or worse. It got me thinking about a lot of head-scratchers over the years.
Sometimes I wonder if he's so close to players he doesn't see the + - like a fan watching can.

Is it just me, or does it often seem to take just a few beats too long to lose playing time for poor performance, or to see that good things always happen when that guy comes in and turn that into a change in playing time and our rotation or our starters. Am I simply crazy? Is he too close? Am I blind to the master plan?

No joke I honestly think we need someone on staff to bring the cold hard facts to Mike moneyball style and say this isn't working sometimes. Play this guy more instead.

BannerMountainMan

Gafford gets in foul trouble in the first 10 minutes so yes having a 2nd 5 position is HUGE
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

jdlew

He has to  play Trey Thompson because he the only option at the 5 spot..

Rbill

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 09, 2018, 10:19:52 pm
Gafford gets in foul trouble in the first 10 minutes so yes having a 2nd 5 position is HUGE

It's a very interesting thought to imagine the coaches letting a player bat out of a slump and take our lumps short term for a long term plan, because if he bats out of it it will help a lot.

It does make you wonder if that conversation has taken place.

It seems obvious Mike loves things like traditional concepts of seniority, and he also seems stubborn with his ideas. That could be "this is my defensive system" or "this is my starter" or "this is the guy I play while Gafford is in foul trouble". He has shown the ability to adapt several times, other times not, and sometimes simply slowly. Let's put it this way, he's not throwing in a true freshman QB at halftime because it's not working in the first half. My question is does his loyalty/stubbornness in personnel and planning come off as genius long-term, big-picture planning or a mere flaw that could be addressed.

Rbill

Quote from: jdlew on January 09, 2018, 10:20:49 pm
He has to  play Trey Thompson because he the only option at the 5 spot..

I'm talking more in generalities than about Trey. But it's not impossible to imagine a world where both Trey and Daniel are on the bench together, or even on the floor together. I'm not sure why that was the first 2 responses. It's not like Trey plays anything like Gafford's role anyway. He plays completely differently so it's ridiculous to assume it's a 1 for 1 substitution that must be made. In fact, I think that this stubborn thinking actually hurts Trey and the team. Just like the days when Moses and Portis should have played more together, now I think Trey and the team would be helped most by playing alongside Gafford. He would look to pass down low to Gafford more than anyone else. And we've had plenty of great stretches with lineups like Macon, barford, cook, Bailey, beard/hall.

JtBrash

I appreciate this post, and can say I've wondered about a lot of what you brought up. Coach Anderson is a fan of saying it's a marathon not a sprint, and I'm sure many of these decisions that to me, are head scratchers are based on that line of thinking. I'm no coach and not saying it's genius or not, just that I believe he develops his teams for the latter half of the season.

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: JtBrash on January 09, 2018, 11:32:11 pm
I appreciate this post, and can say I've wondered about a lot of what you brought up. Coach Anderson is a fan of saying it's a marathon not a sprint, and I'm sure many of these decisions that to me, are head scratchers are based on that line of thinking. I'm no coach and not saying it's genius or not, just that I believe he develops his teams for the latter half of the season.

I agree and I think it is a message to the player also, 
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

okrazorback

I think we re expecting too much. I really wanted Mike because I thought he learned from Nolan, but he is never going to be another Nolan. A Nolan team was the most exciting team I ever watched play basketball.

HogBreath

I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

nwahogfan1

How tall is Trey? How tall does he play?  How athletic is he? What value does he bring other than the fact we do not have another option?  Why do we do not have another option? Trey has never had value other than he was a back up.  Mike needs to step up his recruiting of more guys who can play inside Well. At least recruit players who give us some tough rebounding and defense.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 07:14:13 am
How tall is Trey? How tall does he play?  How athletic is he? What value does he bring other than the fact we do not have another option?  Why do we do not have another option? Trey has never had value other than he was a back up.  Mike needs to step up his recruiting of more guys who can play inside Well. At least recruit players who give us some tough rebounding and defense.

Trey has a great basketball IQ and can be a very effective passer at the top of the key. He has been disappointing in how many turnovers he has had this year, though.

LA Football fan

I think Mike's loyalty is too strong for his staff.  I think he needs to shake up his staff from time to time by hiring coaches that are strong in areas he is weak in.  You see the same issues with Anderson coached teams year after year.  Bringing in a coach that had teams that were strong rebounders or were strong in half court offense, etc would seem to me to help make Mike  a better coach.  I just  think he has plateaued as a coach due to not having  a rotating coaching position that he can use to tap new ideas and strategies.

elksnort

I will be shocked if Hogsanity doesn't chime in on this thread.

I think Mike as a coach is like actors who always play the same or similar role.

BallHog1

Quote from: Rbill on January 09, 2018, 10:15:26 pm

Sometimes I wonder if he's so close to players he doesn't see the + - like a fan watching can.

My personal opinion is that Mike has forgotten and relearned and forgotten again more about basketball than anyone on Hogville and more than 99.99% of the fans - Not 100 because Nolan is a fan.

code red

Yes.  This needs to stop.  I'd like to see less press and more "get your butt back" and defend half court zone.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

alohawg

Gafford has to stop with the cheapies, the reach in's at the top of the key. Clearly they've emphasized not trying to block everything around the basket, too much so imo, but it appears the no reach in's hasn't been absorbed. We desperately need Gafford in as much as he can go.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

RzRbAcK18

I am glad I am not the only one who has noticed Trey's turnovers. It appears he has 21 turnovers, just shy of the leaders with 23. A big man shouldn't have as many turnovers as a guard. Hope it is just a prolonged case of the "yips".

scorekeeper

Quote from: Rbill on January 09, 2018, 10:50:24 pm
I'm talking more in generalities than about Trey. But it's not impossible to imagine a world where both Trey and Daniel are on the bench together, or even on the floor together. I'm not sure why that was the first 2 responses. It's not like Trey plays anything like Gafford's role anyway. He plays completely differently so it's ridiculous to assume it's a 1 for 1 substitution that must be made. In fact, I think that this stubborn thinking actually hurts Trey and the team. Just like the days when Moses and Portis should have played more together, now I think Trey and the team would be helped most by playing alongside Gafford. He would look to pass down low to Gafford more than anyone else. And we've had plenty of great stretches with lineups like Macon, barford, cook, Bailey, beard/hall.
I have thought along those lines with either Barford or Macon on the floor most of the game.
1st 5: Gafford, Thompson, Hall, Barford, Macon
2nd 5: Thomas, Bailey, Jones, Barford or Macon, Beard

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: scorekeeper on January 10, 2018, 03:36:41 pm
I have thought along those lines with either Barford or Macon on the floor most of the game.
1st 5: Gafford, Thompson, Hall, Barford, Macon
2nd 5: Thomas, Bailey, Jones, Barford or Macon, Beard
first of all you can't start two 5's, and second of all you can't bring in two 4's in the second group, not a very good post
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Paul

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 10, 2018, 04:48:47 pm
first of all you can't start two 5's, and second of all you can't bring in two 4's in the second group, not a very good post
Why not?  He needs to try something different to shake this team up

Rbill

There is absolutely no reason for them not to play together. Like I said, Thompson would look for entry passes to Gafford more than anyone else, and Thompson simply does not replace Gafford as a presence down low. Cook is even more of a presence.

Rbill

Quote from: BallHog1 on January 10, 2018, 01:10:13 pm
My personal opinion is that Mike has forgotten and relearned and forgotten again more about basketball than anyone on Hogville and more than 99.99% of the fans - Not 100 because Nolan is a fan.

I know you are absolutely right.  But that doesn't necessarily mean he can view his staff and players and his own ideas about his rotations with perfect objectivity. Then again it could be a long term plan. Maybe he knows what this team will need in March.

scorekeeper

So there is a rule banning that? Didn't think so. Not a very good post.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Letsroll1200

This start is not good... I'm all for Mike but you don't come out like that. Those guys don't play with fear. They doing what tge hell they wsnt too do.

hawganatic

Quote from: BallHog1 on January 10, 2018, 01:10:13 pm

This...

It's laughable to think that a fan sitting in the stands or watching on TV knows more about the team than the actual head coach.  Think some perspective is needed by the OP.

navyhog24

Mike Anderson's loyalty and lack of actual coaching = cancer to the basketball program