Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 12:45:41 pm

Resume writers

Started by hawgrunner, July 31, 2017, 08:15:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgrunner

Leaving the military world and trying to get a job in the civilian one... any one having an issues making your skill set on resume translate from one to the other?

Have you ever thought about using the resume writer folks out there?

http://www.best10resumewriters.com/

HawgWild

Just curious, what kind of job duties did you have in the military and what type job are you looking for?

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgWild on August 02, 2017, 11:07:11 am
Just curious, what kind of job duties did you have in the military and what type job are you looking for?

Started out as electronic technician and working telecommunications/network equipment (in the Navy we call this Combat Systems) Then over the years worked way up the chain to just management and oversight of those types of work items and/or projects.

So would be looking for a job as Project Manager in that related type field. Took night class and got BS degree in business management and studying now to get ready to take the PMP exam.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hawgrunner on August 03, 2017, 08:10:26 am
Started out as electronic technician and working telecommunications/network equipment (in the Navy we call this Combat Systems) Then over the years worked way up the chain to just management and oversight of those types of work items and/or projects.

So would be looking for a job as Project Manager in that related type field. Took night class and got BS degree in business management and studying now to get ready to take the PMP exam.

Sounds like you have set yourself up well.  Far too many of the people I worked with over the years, expected to get out and have a job handed to them.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HawgWild

Sorry to keep coming at you with the questions but are you wanting to stay local or are you willing to move anywhere?

You've got a desirable skill set. Companies are going to scan your resume to see if your experiences mirror the qualifications they're wanting. You'll want to include the same wording in your resume that they use in their job opening announcement.

Government, colleges and university HR Departments are super sensitive about hiring issues. They scan applications for those that match the MQ's "minimum qualifications" and only forward those that do.

I think if you're capable of putting together a general outline of your qualifications and then tailoring it to the specific job.

As a hiring supervisor I closely read the letters of reference.

Good luck!

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgWild on August 04, 2017, 01:05:02 pm
Sorry to keep coming at you with the questions but are you wanting to stay local or are you willing to move anywhere?

You've got a desirable skill set. Companies are going to scan your resume to see if your experiences mirror the qualifications they're wanting. You'll want to include the same wording in your resume that they use in their job opening announcement.

Government, colleges and university HR Departments are super sensitive about hiring issues. They scan applications for those that match the MQ's "minimum qualifications" and only forward those that do.

I think if you're capable of putting together a general outline of your qualifications and then tailoring it to the specific job.

As a hiring supervisor I closely read the letters of reference.

Good luck!

I want to come back home to NWA.

HawgWild

I think you'll do just fine writing your own resume. Find a style you like and use it for all the boilerplate stuff - education, job experiences, etc. Then customize it for the job that your applying by highlighting/inserting your matching job skills to their criteria.

Know the job for which you're applying. And, if possible, know the people. Don't just send a resume out to every one for every job.

Universities and hospitals aren't bad places to work for folks in IT. Nice sized companies in the NW area as well, Wal-Mart, JB Hunt, etc.

Good luck.

hogginbama

I used an organization "Hire Heroes USA" for my intitial writting. Then tweeked it accordingly.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hawgrunner

Quote from: hogginbama on August 11, 2017, 03:54:47 pm
I used an organization "Hire Heroes USA" for my intitial writting. Then tweeked it accordingly.

I'll check it out.

Biggus Piggus

Most important detail of your resume: Avoiding mistakes. You cannot afford to have any. Not one.

Beyond that, it needs to focus on the skills you have that are specifically mentioned in the job posting. Your best shot is to go for jobs where you can hit all the required skills.

Recruiting has mutated into a bizarre creature. Many HR departments have adopted automation that screens out many applicants without any human intervention. The merits of these screening methods are highly questionable. Often, recruiters are trying to filter for people whose experience looks exactly like the job they're trying to fill. Why? Because it's an easy bias. Does it improve quality of hire? Probably not. It usually wastes a lot of good talent, just for the sake of simplicity.

You have to find a way past the initial screen, to be considered by a real person. It's really hard to do this without having some kind of personal connections. I'd always favor situations where you know some people who work there + they like and trust you. The other possibility is to land an entry-level job you can crush and earn promotion. It has to be a place where they are looking to develop the best new workers, not burn 'em out and reload.

Resume writers are not very useful, because your resume needs to be customized for each and every job application. You have to make it fit the job listing, if possible. If you can't, might as well not even apply. But take the point - paying somebody to write a resume for you is of very little use. Maybe you're hopeless at writing and are looking to get lucky on that one big opportunity. Great, a professionally written resume might help. Usually they are a waste of money.

If you are going to rely a lot on job listings to find work, rather than getting to know certain employers + positioning yourself for when they have a need that fits you, then you have to work those job listings every day. It's very important that you apply early in the life span of a job posting (and you can't always tell from the age that is listed - employers repost jobs to keep them deceptively fresh-looking). Your best shot, when applying online, is if you hit a good-fit job opening right after it comes open.

If you depend on online job applications, don't be afraid to pass 100 solid, good-fit applications before you get a job. It is hard to find the right situation and break through the HR filter. You have to overcome the problems with sheer effort and persistence. Good luck.
[CENSORED]!

HotlantaHog

A nicely done resume is fine, but in the end most decent jobs (and a lot of not-great jobs too) come from networking and friends -- former coworkers, people you know from school, etc. ...

Anything that you can do to meet employers in person and leverage your connections (including friends from LinkedIn, Facebook or whatever) trumps an application filed online with no connections.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HotlantaHog on August 24, 2017, 01:59:32 pm
A nicely done resume is fine, but in the end most decent jobs (and a lot of not-great jobs too) come from networking and friends -- former coworkers, people you know from school, etc. ...

Anything that you can do to meet employers in person and leverage your connections (including friends from LinkedIn, Facebook or whatever) trumps an application filed online with no connections.

This is the truth.

The reason when people switch jobs they stay in similar fields.
This is my non-signature signature.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 23, 2017, 10:56:48 pm
Most important detail of your resume: Avoiding mistakes. You cannot afford to have any. Not one.

Beyond that, it needs to focus on the skills you have that are specifically mentioned in the job posting. Your best shot is to go for jobs where you can hit all the required skills.

Recruiting has mutated into a bizarre creature. Many HR departments have adopted automation that screens out many applicants without any human intervention. The merits of these screening methods are highly questionable. Often, recruiters are trying to filter for people whose experience looks exactly like the job they're trying to fill. Why? Because it's an easy bias. Does it improve quality of hire? Probably not. It usually wastes a lot of good talent, just for the sake of simplicity.

You have to find a way past the initial screen, to be considered by a real person. It's really hard to do this without having some kind of personal connections. I'd always favor situations where you know some people who work there + they like and trust you. The other possibility is to land an entry-level job you can crush and earn promotion. It has to be a place where they are looking to develop the best new workers, not burn 'em out and reload.

Resume writers are not very useful, because your resume needs to be customized for each and every job application. You have to make it fit the job listing, if possible. If you can't, might as well not even apply. But take the point - paying somebody to write a resume for you is of very little use. Maybe you're hopeless at writing and are looking to get lucky on that one big opportunity. Great, a professionally written resume might help. Usually they are a waste of money.

If you are going to rely a lot on job listings to find work, rather than getting to know certain employers + positioning yourself for when they have a need that fits you, then you have to work those job listings every day. It's very important that you apply early in the life span of a job posting (and you can't always tell from the age that is listed - employers repost jobs to keep them deceptively fresh-looking). Your best shot, when applying online, is if you hit a good-fit job opening right after it comes open.

If you depend on online job applications, don't be afraid to pass 100 solid, good-fit applications before you get a job. It is hard to find the right situation and break through the HR filter. You have to overcome the problems with sheer effort and persistence. Good luck.

Well, put.

hogginbama

Hawgrunner, what field are you looking to break into? After I retired in June I took a gig as a technical/engineering recruiter. We typically fill 12-24 month contract positions for companies such as General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, etc. while contract positions are our bread/butter, we do direct, permanent hires as well.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hawgrunner

Quote from: hogginbama on September 04, 2017, 09:16:31 pm
Hawgrunner, what field are you looking to break into? After I retired in June I took a gig as a technical/engineering recruiter. We typically fill 12-24 month contract positions for companies such as General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, etc. while contract positions are our bread/butter, we do direct, permanent hires as well.
Quote from: hawgrunner on August 03, 2017, 08:10:26 am

Like this...

majestic

What kind of money are you looking for?  I have a couple of clients who would probably be interested.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hawgrunner

Quote from: majestic on September 05, 2017, 06:21:09 pm
What kind of money are you looking for?  I have a couple of clients who would probably be interested.

I'll send ya a PM.