Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would Mike Anderson leave on his own?

Started by rzrbkman, February 05, 2018, 12:25:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbkman

As the season continues to go downhill, would CMA  get to the point that he did not want to remain as coach and either resign or take a different job?

cardsNhogs

FineAsSwine

Quote from: rzrbkman on February 05, 2018, 12:25:40 pm
As the season continues to go downhill, would CMA  get to the point that he did not want to remain as coach and either resign or take a different job?

Athletic directors position has already been filled and if he is as stubborn as some on Hogville say, I doubt he would quit his job as coach.
Hogs up! Covid down!

phadedhawg

no way, Mike will make the AD fire him. 

Paul

redneckfriend

I'm not seeing much here but whatever hostility toward Anderson seems to be floating in the air these days i.e. no real argument about why he wouldn't leave. As I have said before there should be backdoor discussions, perhaps not this year but next, about a good pension and an emeritus status of respect in return for his retirement and agreement not to take another coaching position. If he doesn't go along then he will have to take the consequences for the difference between what he has accomplished and what is expected.

99toLife

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Red

RagingHawgOn

Justifiable Hogicide

No. He will drain every million dollars he can out of Arkansas before he leaves.
But at least HE won't file a frivolous and slanderous lawsuit against us.

Cargill A. BullHog

Oh my I hope not.  We would be forced to hire another Stanley Heath and proabably face a lawsuit for firing a successful coach without cause.  Lets just rally around Coach A and give him 2 or 3 more years to get the ship turned around
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

ballinhog

That would be the best case outcome for all parties

HognotinMemphis

February 06, 2018, 05:16:24 am #13 Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:23:55 am by HoginMemphis
Do politicians ever freely resign from office? Andersen would not voluntarily abandon this gravy train he is riding. Best job he has ever had and ever will have. Just like Bielema at Arkansas. How do we keep giving these people the best job they will ever have? How does Arkansas continually hire coaches who find the U of A to be the place and job where the Peter Principle plays out for them? Heath, Pelphrey, Nutt, and Bielema so far.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

mizzouman

First, the season is hardly going downhill.  Still plenty of games to be played.

Lastly, Mike is not going anywhere voluntarily.  I do believe this is his last job whether he gets fired or retires.

razorpimp

Quote from: mizzouman on February 06, 2018, 07:43:43 am
First, the season is hardly going downhill.  Still plenty of games to be played.

Lastly, Mike is not going anywhere voluntarily.  I do believe this is his last job whether he gets fired or retires.

Want him back? 

hobhog

Are you talking about Arkansas? Hate to see what you consider downhill.....

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hobhog on February 06, 2018, 08:02:28 am
Well, we're 4-6 in conference play, not 0-10, as many of you seem to believe...
But no, even if we lose all the rest of our games, I can't see him leaving voluntarily. It wouldn't make sense.
Firstly, as many have pointed out, his style is very unique, requires a very specific type of player, and any job he'd get would probably be a good-sized downgrade, like low-level major conference program, or mid-major.
Secondly, quitting when you have a multi-million dollar buyout would be beyond stupid. He has a contract. If the U of A wants to fire him, the U of A will pay his buyout. Anyone saying he should quit "for the good of the program" is not thinking fully. He has a life like all the rest of us, and he would be foolish to walk away from millions that he is due.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 06, 2018, 08:11:17 am

Firstly, as many have pointed out, his style is very unique, requires a very specific type of player, and any job he'd get would probably be a good-sized downgrade, like low-level major conference program, or mid-major.

You did a great job of selling why we should keep him.   ::)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 06, 2018, 08:21:45 am
You did a great job of selling why we should keep him.   ::)
I'm not trying to sell you on why we should keep him. He's obviously not been as good as expected. I simply answered the OP's question as to if he would walk away. The answer is that it would be stupid to leave on his own.

rljjr

You're kidding, right? This season is going downhill faster than the Swiss bobsled team.
But no, even if we lose all the rest of our games, I can't see him leaving voluntarily. It wouldn't make sense.
Secondly, quitting when you have a multi-million dollar buyout would be beyond stupid. He has a contract. If the U of A wants to fire him, the U of A will pay his buyout. Anyone saying he should quit "for the good of the program" is not thinking fully. He has a life like all the rest of us, and he would be foolish to walk away from millions that he is due.

I agree he won't walk away. That's foolish. But worse is that Arkansas allowed itself to be handcuffed to a mediocre coach. That's the only reason he is "due" anything. It certainly isn't for the product he's putting on the court.

As for his style requiring a certain type of player ... that's a load of horse puckey. He's recruited almost all clones, so he has his type of players. What he doesn't have are point guards and some big bodies down low.

Now, think about what you said. Any job he could get would be a down grade. YES! This is a driving factor for him wanting to stay. He knows it's over so why not milk the cow as much as you can.

All sickness isn't death, but if you keep the body on life support you can make a killing!

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: rljjr on February 06, 2018, 08:47:02 am
You're kidding, right? This season is going downhill faster than the Swiss bobsled team.
I agree he won't walk away. That's foolish. But worse is that Arkansas allowed itself to be handcuffed to a mediocre coach. That's the only reason he is "due" anything. It certainly isn't for the product he's putting on the court.

As for his style requiring a certain type of player ... that's a load of horse puckey. He's recruited almost all clones, so he has his type of players. What he doesn't have are point guards and some big bodies down low.

Now, think about what you said. Any job he could get would be a down grade. YES! This is a driving factor for him wanting to stay. He knows it's over so why not milk the cow as much as you can.

All sickness isn't death, but if you keep the body on life support you can make a killing!
I should have said that he recruits a certain type of player, not that his style necessarily requires a certain type of player. Most players can play in the system. Because he recruits certain types of players, going to another program would probably mean a rebuild, due to his needing to get "his guys" in there.
Obviously his teams here have been plagued by not having a good big man or a good PG. The only year we had a great big man and a solid PG, we were a 5 seed. That's probably not coincidence. In order to be a really good team, you either need to be amazing at one or two things--like 3s, post play, or defense--or you need to be solid all-around. The 2014-2015 team was solid all-around. What we see now is a team of a few good offensive guards without much defense or post play.

rljjr

I can get on board with your clarification. Thanks.

FineAsSwine

This was his dream job. He left a good situation to come here. No way he walks away. He's going to fight it out all the way.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 06, 2018, 09:14:10 am
I should have said that he recruits a certain type of player, not that his style necessarily requires a certain type of player. Most players can play in the system. Because he recruits certain types of players, going to another program would probably mean a rebuild, due to his needing to get "his guys" in there.
Obviously his teams here have been plagued by not having a good big man or a good PG. The only year we had a great big man and a solid PG, we were a 5 seed. That's probably not coincidence. In order to be a really good team, you either need to be amazing at one or two things--like 3s, post play, or defense--or you need to be solid all-around. The 2014-2015 team was solid all-around. What we see now is a team of a few good offensive guards without much defense or post play.

The 14-15 team had a softer schedule in and out of conference and often the best player on the court in Portis. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

I don't think he would leave on his own.  Plus this season still has too many winnable games for it to completely end in disaster of missing the NCAAT. 

The only hypothetical I could come up with would be he still wants to coach but believes it won't work here.  Instead of going the Nolan route and forcing a firing and ending his career and possibly hurting TJ's as well, he pulls a Haith and lands at a mid major where he can have success and maybe set it up where TJ would be his logical successor.  Financially it is worked out where we thank him for his service to the UA.  But I think he is too stubborn for this and will have just enough success to where he can stay at Arkansas and finish his career.  He'll view the upcoming classes as Nolan did Igoudala as his chance to make a run. 

texas tush hog

Short answer. No. Mike signed Gafford, Day Day, Garland and the class coming in. There is no way he abandons them. He has too much class for that. I hope after we have a great season next year, that you negative Nancys jump ship, but I imagine you all will say that you knew all along that Mike could do it, that's the way it works

HognotinMemphis

0-18 or 8-10. Doesn't matter. Either way it is no NCAAT. So both have same effect. 
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Leadbelly

No
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

OkieBack

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 05, 2018, 01:28:33 pm
I'm not seeing much here but whatever hostility toward Anderson seems to be floating in the air these days i.e. no real argument about why he wouldn't leave. As I have said before there should be backdoor discussions, perhaps not this year but next, about a good pension and an emeritus status of respect in return for his retirement and agreement not to take another coaching position. If he doesn't go along then he will have to take the consequences for the difference between what he has accomplished and what is expected.

Well said.  In then end what Mike shows he can put on the court will either be to his benefit or his demise.  This program has higher expectations than other programs and I don't believe they are unrealistic.  If Mike doesn't reach that expected pinnacle of success after a decade then the writing will be on the wall.

urkillnmesmalls

Remember when Portis and Qualls left, and it left a void the following year, and MA brought that up multiple times...wasn't expected, hurt us, etc., etc. 

One of the worst things that could have happened this season, was for Barford and Macon to come back.  We don't have the players surrounding them to beat the balanced teams, and if they had both moved on, the fan expectations would be lower, and the development of the existing players would have been accelerated versus the team dynamic this season. 

As it is....I think fans thought having two proven scoring guards would propel us to similar results as last year, but we lost more than people realized.  Barford and Macon are the same, but we lost Hannahs and Kingsley...proven commodities.  We aren't seeing players at that level for supporting cast. 

In a way, fan expectations are a little unrealistic with this team.  As Hogsanity pointed out early on, we cannot count on Barford and Macon having career nights every night, and that's what it seems to take.  It hasn't panned out. 

I continue to say that I want to see how we look year after next.  That's on the heels of attendance coming back, a boost in reputation from the near miss vs. NC last year, and a few big wins this season.  That leaves NO excuses for us not getting the level and TYPE of talent in that Mike needs to win. 

And...I'll add this.  If we don't have a true PG, in today's NCAA landscape, you aren't going to win at a high level.  It's hurting KY, but helping teams like WVA and OK play WAY above their overall team talent by one person being able to elevate everyone else around them. 

EVERY year the final four has teams that have poised point guards.  We haven't had one in years.  Having a great big man to defend the paint is great, but it starts with a great PG. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: OkieBack on February 06, 2018, 11:17:31 am
Well said.  In then end what Mike shows he can put on the court will either be to his benefit or his demise.  This program has higher expectations than other programs and I don't believe they are unrealistic.  If Mike doesn't reach that expected pinnacle of success after a decade then the writing will be on the wall.

Agree 100% with this.  As fans, we want to see 1994 and 95 again, and we have the facilities, arena, and fan base to accomplish that.  Being great in basketball takes a lot less total talent than fielding a great football team, and the truth is...our chances in BBall are much better than football for that specific reason. 

But...those early 90's teams were amazing as well, but fell short of the ultimate goal.  So...there's still some luck to it, getting the right player mix and chemistry, and it doesn't hurt when some of the elite teams aren't at their pinnacle...such as Ky, Duke, NC, and Kansas this year, for instance.  Great teams...but not the dominant ones they have been at times.  If we were at our peak, our chances would be better than many years. 

I think we all want Mike's system to work.  Just like Nolan's, you have to have great players to compete at the highest level consistently.  Just sneaking up on teams at times isn't enough.  It's about talent.  I don't believe we have nearly enough of it acoss the board at the moment, and that is 100% on MA.  He has some time to prove he can do it, so I'm interested to see how it pans out.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

mizzouman

Quote from: hobhog on February 06, 2018, 08:02:28 am
Mizzou, the last 3 years....that's downhill.

nwahogfan1

Would you?  And give up on all of that buy out money?   No way.