Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SB's Nicole Schroeder

Started by flippinhogmana, February 13, 2017, 11:05:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

February 13, 2017, 11:05:47 am Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:33:38 pm by flippinhogmana
The season is very young but here is a partial line on Nicole's batting stats: if her numbers continue, thats POY territory.

Nicole Schroeder . 6 3 6 4-4 11 5 7 2 1 3 9 20 1.818
thats a .636 BA, four games played, four started, eleven official ABs, five runs scored, seven hits (of those two were doubles, one a triple, and three were Hrs, with 9 rbis, 20 tbs, which is why the last, shows her slugging percentage as 1.818!

even given the level of competition Autumn Russel (.556 BA) Shelby Hiers (.500 BA), Katie Warwick (.400, 2hrs, and five rbis) and Madison Yannetti (.364 with 3hrs and 6rbis) arent doing too badly either. 

congrats also to Grace Moll and Autumn Storms, both 2-0 and having given up no earned runs.

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

It's pretty impressive!

The level of competition will go up considerably this weekend, as we play in the first Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic out in California. We have games against Loyola Marymount (an average team, but one that is full of California talent), CSU-Northridge (another average team, but one with a pretty good pitcher), Illinois (a middle of the pack B1G team who had a very good opening weekend, and where former Razorback Dani Brochu is now on the roster), San Diego (average team, California talent), and Kent State (who is the one team I think we would be clearly favored to beat (but better than UM-Lowell).

Should be a fun weekend to see how we stack up!

psycHOGlogist

Hogwild8765

I hope this means we are off to a better season looking ahead but ... Arkansas should have crushed the teams we played this past weekend.  If we didn't playing 90% of the starters from last year, then they we should all be very worried.  She made very few changes beyond a few pinch runners and a few select pinch hitters and only 1 freshman (beyond Storms for pitching) even got in the game for more than to either run or play in the outfield for an inning.   So she certainly appears to going for W's  and running up the scores vs. developing the broader team or giving any other kids a chance esp when you are crushing your opponents in 5 innings every game.

Net Net.. this just underscores the fact that Deifel is under pressure to win more games this year which is why I think she is also taking an easier approach to the start of this season.  She pulled out of the Texas Classic from last year where there are clearly stronger teams than what we played in this weekend.  They will also face "average" teams next week in Mary Nutter again to set up the scenario for more W's right out of the gate.  She is probably concerned and is going with what she hopes will work ( the known vs. the unknown) vs. giving some of the other 21 kids on the roster a chance.  For example....  Hedgecock still hasn't pitched  (even in the fall she didn't see the mound) so that makes you wonder why.  She also didn't give many of the new kids much of a look in the fall for playing time either.  Seems like an odd strategy to me and I don't see how this improves our chance for more W's in SEC play either once we hit REAL competition.

To compare, here is how the season started last year but again competition was different: First 10 games - won 5 lost 7....
2015-2016

Thu, Feb. 11   No. 21 Texas   Austin, Texas   6 p.m.   L,1-4
North Dakota State   Austin, Texas   12 p.m.   W ,8-4

Fri, Feb, 12            
North Dakota State   Austin, Texas   10 a.m.   L,2-7

Sat, Feb. 13            
No. 21 Texas   Austin, Texas   3:30 p.m.   L,5-6

Sat, Feb. 13            
North Carolina   Austin, Texas   9 a.m.   L,0-5
Sun, Feb. 14            

New Mexico   Palm Springs, Calif.   12:30 p.m.   W ,2-1

Fri, Feb, 19            
George Washington   Palm Springs, Calif.   3 p.m.   W ,8-0 (5 inn.)

Fri, Feb. 19            
Binghamton   Palm Springs, Calif.   11:30 a.m.   W ,12-5

Sat, Feb. 20            
Army West Point   Palm Springs, Calif.   2:30 p.m.   L ,4-5

Sat, Feb. 20            
Central Michigan   Palm Springs, Calif.   11 a.m.   W ,12-4 (5 inn.)

Sun, Feb. 21            
UMKC   Bogle Park   12:30 p.m.   L ,4-9

I hope they stay on a positive trajectory and build some confidence before they hit SEC play but on the flip side I hope this approach doesn't come with consequences just assuming that status quo with almost the exact same team/lineup will yield  the desired different results.  There is a saying.. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again.... lets hope that doesn't hurt us here.

psycHOGlogist

Are you really ragging on the coach after an opening weekend where, coming off one of the worst seasons in program history, we gave up zero earned runs and won 3/4 by run rule?  I'm not sure I get it.

Let me try to address your concerns:
"Arkansas should have crushed the teams we played this past weekend."

We did. I don't see this as evidence that something is wrong with the staff or their strategy.

"She played the same players as last year, and not enough freshmen got a chance to play"

We have a veteran team at this point. We only lost one senior from last year. Freshmen don't play all that often in college softball, unless they are blue-chippers (like Storms and possibly Hedgcock, see below). There is nothing unusual about that, and we don't really have a lot of young players who are ready to play (none of our other recruits apart from Jade Miller, who left, was highly rated). It's actually really cool that Parr ran as much as she did and got a cup of coffee in the outfield. The only sophomore who didn't see any action is Haizlip. (And Archuleta, I suppose, who's a RS-Soph, per the roster.) The entire roster does not travel to away games (at least as evidenced by the photo of the team on the bus.) The more experienced players are going to travel, and the younger ones will have to wait their turn. I strongly suspect they know that. But more fundamentally, I would argue that in a lot of ways this team looked quite different from last year's. Here's what I mean: Hiers was mostly an outfielder last year, and she's now back behind the plate (good!). We started Bugarin in the OF 3/4 games. Bugarin started 8 games last year, played in 29, but was a PR in most of them, and only had 29 ab's all year. Belans, a transfer, started every game at SS. Warrick, a transfer, started every game at DP. Yanetti moved to 2b, a new position for her (her 3rd in 3 years, actually). I was actually impressed by how much more they used PR's this past weekend - that's not something they did nearly enough last year. Parr, Beringhele (who barely played last year), and Pocklington came in fairly regularly to run. That's progress, as far as I'm concerned.

"She appears to be going for W's as opposed to developing the broader team experience"

Well, they better be going for W's! Again, the whole roster doesn't travel, so there are limits to how much playing time they can spread around. Also, this team has suffered through two brutal seasons back to back, and they are in desperate need of experience playing together in the new line-up, and confidence. Play them, let them win, and let them get some confidence, I say.

You are also apparently criticizing the scheduling. There is no question that this year's opening weekend is easier than last year's. I am not aware that we "pulled out" of a different tournament that was already scheduled (which is how I'm interpreting your comment). If we did, I actually think it's a good idea, for the reasons outlined above, This year's overall non-conference schedule is extremely challenging - we scheduled games against Tulsa (x2), preseason #1 Oklahoma, Oklahoma State (x2), RV Nebraska, #23 FAU, and #22 Notre Dame (x3). That's on top of an SEC schedule that includes series with UGA, TAMU, Mizzou, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama, all of whom are currently ranked (and most of whom are very likely to stay ranked all year). And you're complaining about building up (possibly) some confidence by playing an admittedly easy opening weekend and a weekend against good but not great competition at Mary Nutter I? In a coach's second year, when she inherited one healthy pitcher and a patchy line up? Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling.

"She is under pressure to win more games than last year."

I seriously doubt that she is under any "pressure" at all in terms of her job hanging in the balance in Year 2, but every coach wants to win more games than last year, especially when last year was so epically bad.

The goal this year should be to win a lot of non-con games (possible), do better in conference (maying win the odd game here and there within series that we are very unlikely to be able to win outright), and finish above .500 overall.

"Hedgcock hasn't pitched ... and didn't pitch in the fall."

True. Although in the video season preview released today she says that we will see all 5 (Moll, Storms, Hedgcock, Warrick, & Stewart) pitchers this season. I had heard from another poster (who I consider to be very well informed about the program) that there are some issues with Hedgcock's mechanics (maybe she's illegal? I'm just guessing.) that they were trying to sort out last fall, and that's why she didn't throw in any games. I suppose we will see. Maybe she redshirts this year, so that she and Storms aren't in the same class? That can't be bad. We have a two very good Fr pitchers this year (Storms & Hedgcock), at least by recruit rankings, another excellent one signed (Haff) for 2017, a ranked commit in 2019 (Bloom), and a top-200 2020 arm, as well (Howell). We don't have (afaik) a 2018 pitcher committed at this point, but we can probably go without one given what we do have on campus and in the pipeline. (Of course, you can probably never have too many great arms in the circle.)

You reproduce the schedule from last year. I'm not really sure why - are you suggesting that the competition last year was better overall? There is no question that the first weekend last year was very tough -- probably too tough, imo, for a team that was pretty young and lacking senior leadership (not to mention pitching). We had a great win over a strong NDSU team, but then lost out the rest of the first weekend. Do you think that was helpful? I don't. We then went to the very same Mary Nutter I tournament and played mediocre competition. I think this year's Nutter schedule is actually an upgrade over last year's (though still not crazy tough). I guess I'm really not sure what your point is on that - we were a different team last year, with almost no healthy pitching apart from Moll, and we were trapped in a schedule that set us up for failure. This year, we have more experience, new blood in the transfers, more arms (and healthier arms), and we started with a very easy opening weekend that we dominated, and are heading out to one of the big national tournaments in which we've scheduled several games that should be competitive, but that we have a chance to win. There is no doubt the schedule gets tougher, but I actually like the way it builds toward SEC play, and includes very tough OOC game along the way, too.

Hogwild8765

Seems like a struck a nerve but that is okay for this forum is supposed to be a place where people can express their opinions and that is exactly what I did.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am simply expressing mine.  I also don't see my post as ragging on the coach, I simply shared my opinion and I question her strategy especially given how the program has struggled (even before she arrived) and was curious to see what others think. 

You clearly feel differently which is your right and that is great. However where we disagree and all my points actually stem from is one very simple fact..... The veterans as you referenced above struggled last year and many of them the past 2+ years and without significant changes to the lineup, what is to say they won't struggle again.  You can move a few players around the field here and there but the core starters have been the core starters for the most part for several years now regardless of the coach and the program isn't winning many games esp in SEC play.

Probably Stating the obvious but not everyone is that connected so here are the record for the past few years:
2016   Courtney Deifel   17-38, 1-22 SEC   

2015   Mike Larabee   16-37, 1-23 SEC
2014   Mike Larabee   27-28, 5-19 SEC
2013   Mike Larabee   36-20, 12-10 SEC

In regards to new talent and back to this season, they bring in ~11 new (recruits+transfers)  which is a large class and interesting.   if they think this team has/had everything it needed, then why carry a roster of almost 30 kids and not utilize more of them?   One would hope there would be some new talent (even beyond pitching which we all agree was needed) that could have an immediate impact on the team and compete for more than just 1 or 2 spots.    Otherwise why keep them and carry such a big roster?  It is the largest it has ever been and even over the allegedly goal  set by U of A which is a whole other topic not worth getting into.         AND... Big rosters can also be a distraction to the greater good of a team if not properly managed.  Ie.. trying to run practices, drills, keep everyone on the same page and motivated all day every day (esp when 20 won't play much and 7 can't travel) is challenging and can certainly generate potential drama which is never good.   

I have been quietly watching this team the past few seasons since moving into the area and I personally believe it is going to take more change to truly find the right set of players that can collectively rally this team in a new way and take them to new heights.  They have new coaches which was step one but changing the direction of a program is hard to do if you keep things relatively as is and never mix things up to potentiality find even better combinations on the field, grow new leaders, or even take chances on younger players in real game situations.

I would love to be proven wrong and that somehow playing 80% to 90% of your roster from last year under Deifel (and probably 60% for the prior year under Larabee if I had to guess) is going to magically yield different results simply because these players have another year of experience under their belt.  Unfortunately I am not sure programs that have found themselves in such a downward trend can take that approach and be successful without drastically doing something different.  With 7 of the players in the Sr and Jr years now, they have been the ones  living this journey which has to be both challenging and draining.  No one ever wakes up and says " I want to lose today"  but yet this collective group which has been intact for a while now has not been able to turn it around despite their best efforts even now under 2 different coaching staffs.

Let's see how the next few tournaments go and the real test will be Tennessee in the March SEC opener.  We can then revisit the progress of the team and see how each of our theories on the strategy actually play out.   
In the meantime Cheers and WPS!

Kevin

smart scheduling. new coach needs wins to show recruits.  at the end of the year they ask you how many, not who you beat
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

psycHOGlogist

February 15, 2017, 12:00:55 pm #7 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:30:25 pm by psycHOGlogist
I don't feel like you hit a nerve - I just really didn't (and still sort of don't) understand your gripe. This is what you are distilling your concern down to:

"The veterans as you referenced above struggled last year and many of them the past 2+ years and without significant changes to the lineup, what is to say they won't struggle again."

1. They are going to struggle again. They're not as good as the other teams in conference.
2. The only things that are going to change that are a) new talent in the program, b) player development/coaching, and c) improved coaching tactics.
3. We are making progress on all three fronts - Storms, Parr, Belans, Warrick and Benz all played. We'll see what the deal is with Hedgcock. Beyond that, where are we supposed to be getting this infusion of different players? The freshman -- all except Hedgcock -- were recruited by and committed to Larabee. They are what they are. Softball commits happen so early -- we already have at least one 2020 commit -- that new staffs can't just bring in blockbuster recruits right away. They can, and did, get some impact transfers, but that's not going to turn over the entire lineup. And as I said, freshmen don't typically make a big impact (unless they are exceptional). They need time to develop.
4. It's very early still, but I think there has been improvement in the level of play. Last year, we did not dominate bad competition like we played last weekend. There is more pop in the bat of some of our veteran players. Maybe I'm giving too much credit based on an early performance; but there seems to be some forward movement.
5. We have brought in Matt Meuchel to complement the coaching staff. I think his addition will provide a notable change in tactics - more playing of percentages (rather than hunches), more aggressive base-running, etc.

I am not by any means claiming that the team has turned the corner, or that we're about to challenge Florida for league supremacy. I just think that there is clear progress on the team and staff. But you're right - the proof will be in the pudding.

ETA - you also asked about why carry a large roster. Each athlete on the roster counts toward Title IX equivalency across male/female teams. There are no women's teams that have rosters the size of the football team, so many schools have additional, female-only sports (e.g., gymnastics, swimming at Arkansas) and/or allow other sports to carry very large rosters (including partial and non-scholarship kids who have very little chance at ever playing) in order to help to offset that ratio. Softball is not the only sport for which this is true. A few years back, Coach Pulliza had 20 kids on the volleyball roster (there are 12 scholarships). Some of those spots went to local (Arkansas) kids who had very little chance of ever seeing the court, but their presence on the roster makes for good PR ("local kid plays for the Razorbacks!"), helps with attendance, and adds to Title IX numbers. The same is true of softball. There are only 12 softball scholarships available. Every kid on the 30-person roster does not have an equal likelihood of playing; the staff does not bring them in with equal expectations; and the kids themselves are usually pretty well aware of where they stand. They want to do it anyway -- either walk on or take a partial scholarship -- because they want the opportunity to try, to keep playing the sport they love (and heck, maybe even earn more of a scholly), and to be Razorbacks.

flippinhogmana

February 18, 2017, 01:56:11 pm #8 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:48:17 am by flippinhogmana
Okay, still early yet, but with two more games under their belt, including a come from behind (twice) victories (three runs down) in the last at bat against a decent ((I think) team!

Nicole continues to bomb and battle as do others.

player                  BA         gp-gs   ab    r     h    d   t   hr   rbi   tb    slg %
Nicole Schroeder  . 588         6-6    17    8    10   3   1   5   14   30    1.765
Shelby Hiers        . 500         6-6    14   13     7   1   0   1     3   11     .786
Rachel Box          . 500         2-0     2     0     1   0   0   0     1     1     .500
Sydney Benz       . 5 0 0       3-0     2     1     1   0   0   0     0     1     .5 0 0
Katie Warrick       . 4 6 7       6-6   15     5     7   0   0   2     6    13    .8 6 7
Haydi Bugarin      . 4 1 7       5-5   12     4     5   1   0    1     3     9    .7 5 0
Autumn Russell    . 4 0 0       6-6    15    6     6   0   1    1      4   11   .73 3

yani has fallen off at bit but still batting .333, with 3 hrs, and 8 rbis
belans despite a BA lowerer than the mendoza line has a couple of hrs, and 8 rbis,
Canfield still batting even lower than belans, but had a huge hit yesterday
Auturmn Storms is 4-0, just over one on her ERA, what more can I say, except she should be in line for at least freshman of the week, if not player of the week!
One other tidbit, 9 players have hit hrs, 13 have official ABs and 16 have played.

And how about that Psyche!  He is 6-0 as the pbp man!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

lol - i take no credit (cause I don't want the blame later!)  :-)

Thanks for the stats. If Belans and Canfield can hit close to their numbers last year, we will really be in business at the plate.

Today's games are both cancelled, btw. Weather in Palms Springs?!?!

flippinhogmana

Nicole did get the honor by the way, even if this is a belated posting!

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – On the heels of her power display at the season-opening North Texas Invitational, senior outfielder Nicole Schroeder has been named the SEC Player of the Week. She helped the Razorbacks to a 4-0 start with her .636 batting average, three home runs, nine RBIs and five runs scored. Schroeder is Arkansas' first weekly award winner since the 2014 season.
The Yorba Linda, California, native opened the 2017 campaign with two home runs against UMass Lowell, the second multi-homerun performance of her career and first by a Razorback—also Schroeder—since 2015. She also tallied a career-high five RBIs against the River Hawks. Six of her seven hits during the weekend went for extra bases including two doubles and a triple.
Schroeder reached base safely in 10 of 14 plate appearances and had at least one hit and scored at least one run in each of the four games in North Texas. Historically, Schroeder currently sits in a tie for fourth place on the program's top-10 list with 24 career home runs. She also moved into Arkansas' all-time top 15 with 78 career runs batted in.
Collectively, the Razorbacks pounded 10 home runs in four games at the North Texas Invitational. She and junior Madison Yannetti each hit three, sophomore transfer Katie Warrick put two over the fence while Haydi Bugarin and Autumn Russell each had one home run. Arkansas' offense out-scored its opponents by a 39-1 margin while pitchers Grace Moll and Autumn Storms each posted two wins.