Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 25, 2024, 05:35:58 pm

Who stays after a coaching change?

Started by razorhog52, February 07, 2017, 10:55:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 12, 2017, 05:03:28 pm
It's delusional to think that even half would stay. Understand where our program is at right now. To think that even the majority of them would stay because of the university? Come on now. Step outside of the state, your region and understand they have too many options to stay with an unstable situation. Don't throw big name coaches out there because the last 15 years have shown they WILL not take this job. Hopefully our fanbase has grown out of the delusion

How did we retain the entire class in 2011?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 01:05:17 pm
We didn't. Abron left and Mickelson left after a couple of years I think. Not to mention Ross never made it to campus and ended up with Texas Tech. That's three of five that left. Two didn't make it to campus. Mickelson left thinking the grass was greener on the other side of the fence but he found out it wasn't.

All that was left was Madden and Young.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

20gauge

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 03:51:30 pm
We didn't. Abron left and Mickelson left after a couple of years I think. Not to mention Ross never made it to campus and ended up with Texas Tech. That's three of five that left. Two didn't make it to campus. Mickelson left thinking the grass was greener on the other side of the fence but he found out it wasn't.

Abron played in every game his freshman year for the Hogs, transferred. Ended up at TCU. So 4 of the 5 hit campus. Young went pro early if I remember correctly, Mickleson of course transferred, Ross didn't qualify and Madden was the only one that made the full 4.

So MA was able to get them here but unable after one year to get them stay for the full ride.

dsims2k3

They left because there was no relationship built. Those relationships with basketball players take years to establish.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 13, 2017, 03:51:30 pm

I have no words....

Mike Anderson retained every single player that was eligible to play. He kept the recruits. Period. Then lost half of them. He's lost plenty of his own recruits at Arkansas as well. When someone asks if the new coach can "keep" or "retain" the current signees/commits, they asking if he can get them to still come play for Arkansas. What happens after that is an entirely different story.

20gauge

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 13, 2017, 04:23:49 pm
They left because there was no relationship built. Those relationships with basketball players take years to establish.
They had an actual full season with MA to develop a relationship. A relationship of actually being mentored and coached by MA. They obviously like him or us good enough to keep their commitment for a year.

20gauge

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 04:25:27 pm
I have no words....

Mike Anderson retained every single player that was eligible to play. He kept the recruits. Period. Then lost half of them. He's lost plenty of his own recruits at Arkansas as well. When someone asks if the new coach can "keep" or "retain" the current signees/commits, they asking if he can get them to still come play for Arkansas. What happens after that is an entirely different story.
Exactly and whos to say that if we do make a change we couldn't higher rated players.

Razorpigg

Quote from: 20gauge on February 13, 2017, 04:33:10 pm
Exactly and whos to say that if we do make a change we couldn't higher rated players.

Ummm ok look man.... Look at our history.  Now look at the players we have committed, and you think theres a chance we can replace them with higher rated players than they are? SURE wish I had your confidence...

JMO but if CMA were to be let go, we would retain noone from 2018 on... None of the Hawks including 2019 Justice Hill.  The PTB know this, and that will be the reason there will be no change this season.

1hawgballer2

Quote from: razorhog52 on February 07, 2017, 10:55:14 pm
Honest question, trash if you want. Do we need a Hawk insider on the new staff to hold on to everyone?
Comments: A hawk or a buzzard, in any case/ bird that won't save the program if Mike is terminated, all of those young men parents are solid behind Anderson

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 01:05:17 pm

BJ Young had a lot of interest but only 5 actual offers because of questions about academics. Abron's only other offer was A&M. Mickelson committed to the school, not the coach. Read some of the old articles about his commitment. Madden had a ton of offers though.

Not to mention, there is a difference between recruits who have already signed NLI and the kids from the Hawks who are only committed. Think Allen stays with Florida if he hadn't already signed. Probably doesn't even meet with White if not for having to make contact if he wanted ask out of the commitment. All the guys mentioned above had signed. Much easier to leave the fold as only a commit wouldn't you agree.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 13, 2017, 06:01:16 pm
BJ Young had a lot of interest but only 5 actual offers because of questions about academics. Abron's only other offer was A&M. Mickelson committed to the school, not the coach. Read some of the old articles about his commitment. Madden had a ton of offers though.

Not to mention, there is a difference between recruits who have already signed NLI and the kids from the Hawks who are only committed. Think Allen stays with Florida if he hadn't already signed. Probably doesn't even meet with White if not for having to make contact if he wanted ask out of the commitment. All the guys mentioned above had signed. Much easier to leave the fold as only a commit wouldn't you agree.

It's definitely easier. But those recruits are no reason to not fire Anderson. Only 1-2 of them (Perry and Henderson) are strongly rated. The others, though I like them as prospects, are not uniquely rated and likely very replaceable if they were to somehow not want to all play together in their home state like they've said they want to. And, there's really no guarantee that they will stick around anyway (Babb, Whitt). But a new hire this offseason gives that coach over half a year (possibly a full year) to recruit them to stick with their committment.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 13, 2017, 06:01:16 pm

BJ Young's mother is from Little Rock, and they were Razorback fans. Besides, academic questions wouldn't have stopped him from going to any number of schools where he could qualify. Abron also had reported offers from Bama, OK State, & Houston. Mickelson and Madden had committed to playing with one another, before signing.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Jonteviosk

You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Jonteviosk

MY GOD Lemmings one hater post and runs off the cliff and the whole herd follows wow.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Jonteviosk

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 20gauge on February 13, 2017, 04:09:16 pm
Abron played in every game his freshman year for the Hogs, transferred. Ended up at TCU. So 4 of the 5 hit campus. Young went pro early if I remember correctly, Mickleson of course transferred, Ross didn't qualify and Madden was the only one that made the full 4.

So MA was able to get them here but unable after one year to get them stay for the full ride.
My bad. I forgot that Abron played as a freshmen. He left after one year, Mickelson left after two years I believe, and Ross never made it to campus. Abron wasn't a good fit and I'm guessing he wanted to go back home. However I believe Mickelson was a perfect fit because he was a big man that could get up and down the floor and could protect the basket. That ones still a head scratcher to me. Not sure what happened to Ross. He was a solid player.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 04:25:27 pm
I have no words....

Serious question...Are you really naïve enough to think these players are 100% committed to Arkansas? Some might be but all are not. But I know that all of these players are 100% committed to Coach A and Arkansas.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 20gauge on February 13, 2017, 04:29:20 pm
They had an actual full season with MA to develop a relationship. A relationship of actually being mentored and coached by MA. They obviously like him or us good enough to keep their commitment for a year.
Don't know if you know anything about recruiting and player coach relationship. But it takes way more than a year to build a solid relationship.

Youngsta71701

February 14, 2017, 07:18:18 am #69 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:24:01 pm by Youngsta71701
So Arkansas is Kentucky now? We can't just go get any higher rated player we want just because? Top name coaches bring top rated players. Up and coming coaches get the leftovers.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2017, 06:07:54 pm
It's definitely easier. But those recruits are no reason to not fire Anderson. Only 1-2 of them (Perry and Henderson) are strongly rated. The others, though I like them as prospects, are not uniquely rated and likely very replaceable if they were to somehow not want to all play together in their home state like they've said they want to. And, there's really no guarantee that they will stick around anyway (Babb, Whitt). But a new hire this offseason gives that coach over half a year (possibly a full year) to recruit them to stick with their committment.
1. You obviously haven't seen Sills and Joe play. They could be underrated and they are 4 stars on some recruiting services.
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits
http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2018
https://arkansas.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2018

2. Babb and Whitt weren't Arkansas kids.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 07:31:45 am
1. You obviously haven't seen Sills and Joe play. They could be underrated and they are 4 stars on some recruiting services.
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits
http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2018
https://arkansas.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2018

Is it obvious? You think there aren't dozens and dozens of recruits out that could provide the same level of production as those two? That's not a knock of them, but you aren't a true top 75-type player, the truth is you can be replaced by a competent recruiting staff because there isn't a top of separation after that. Sills and Joe are good players. I know that. I've posted that more times than you have, but the truth is, they aren't very highly rated. They are decently rated. Not game-changers, not recruits that will hold anyone hostage.

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 07:31:45 am2. Babb and Whitt weren't Arkansas kids.

What's your point? That these kids are going to play for Arkansas regardless? I agree 100%.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 07:15:22 am
Serious question...Are you really naïve enough to think these players are 100% committed to Arkansas? Some might be but all are not. But I know that all of these players are 100% committed to Coach A and Arkansas.

Well, they are actually committed to Arkansas, so there is that. They have also all PUBLICLY stated that they would like to play together. Where else are all 8 of them going to get to do that? These are Arkansas kids that want to play for the University of Arkansas. Obviously, they committed to Mike Anderson, but I don't think they're going to give up their opportunity to play for the U of A just because Anderson might be let go. The only Arkansas kids we've had trouble getting were the highly-ranked ones (Goodwin/Allen/Monk) and the ones we did not aggressively pursue (Willis/Smith/Ready/Reaves). Getting Reggie Perry was truly a big deal. The others were likely coming regardless.

Sometimes you just have to do the math in your head. I absolutely believe a new coach could keep every single one of these kids. Their only chance to play together is at Arkansas. Their only home is Arkansas. No one is saying they will be unfazed by a Mike Anderson firing.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2017, 09:05:47 am
You are clueless.

Did he ever play a game for Arkansas? No oh ok thank you.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 14, 2017, 09:23:40 am
Did he ever play a game for Arkansas? No oh ok thank you.

He wasn't able to. It's not a matter of a coach not being able to keep a player on board. It was out of the coach's hands. Aaron Ross committed to Arkansas when he was 15 years old. He was going to be a Hog no matter what, no matter the coach. Period. But it was the worst kept secret in the world that his ACT scores were awful. That's why he went to the prep school in Wisconsin and ended up in the Big 12. There was never a point were he could have been a Razorback and chose not to.

20gauge

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 07:18:18 am
So Arkansas is Kentucky now. We can just go get any higher rated player we want just because? Top name coaches bring top rated players. Up and coming coaches get the leftovers.
Didn't say we would but its possible.

20gauge

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 07:18:18 am
So Arkansas is Kentucky now. We can just go get any higher rated player we want just because? Top name coaches bring top rated players. Up and coming coaches get the leftovers.
Im also not saying we are Kentucky. But whos to say that the next guy if it happens isn't a better recruiter.

20gauge

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 07:16:42 am
Don't know if you know anything about recruiting and player coach relationship. But it takes way more than a year to build a solid relationship.
so what you are telling me is that texting a kid, talking to him in person and on the phone for lets say two years. Would out weigh a solid year of hands on training and every day contact, if the coach put in the work. Gotcha. This is mainly toward the class that MA held in place when he first got here. That's plenty enough time to develop a good relationship and keep a kid from transferring or jumping to the NBA whne hes not ready.

Now if you are talking about the incoming recruits and there is a coaching change yeah there would be a short time to develop a relationship. But that again comes down to if the guy coming in would even want those players. New coach could have some recruits that he is already on of equal or better ranking, who knows its a gamble. Again I look at some of the ones that have transferred out that aren't exactly getting it done that were recruited here by MA. They could still be here and not be getting it done as well and folks just write it off as well at least that move didn't hurt us.

Im sure a few of these recruits are still going to come to Arkansas no matter who the coach is. If they don't want to be here im fine with that as well.

simon the squealot

In my opinion, the Hogs can lose out and Mike is still coach next year. He's a long way from being forced out. He more likely will be asked to make a staff upgrade. He has two things in his favor - 1) the leverage of 2 good incoming classes over the next 2 seasons; 2) Jeff Long clearly doesn't value a top-flight basketball program as much as we want him to. Jeff is a football guy. Another thing in Mike's favor is the 3 highly-coveted JUCOs will most likely play their best ball next year, if history is any indicator. The question is, will it be team ball they will be playing?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2017, 08:56:10 am
Is it obvious? You think there aren't dozens and dozens of recruits out that could provide the same level of production as those two? That's not a knock of them, but you aren't a true top 75-type player, the truth is you can be replaced by a competent recruiting staff because there isn't a top of separation after that. Sills and Joe are good players. I know that. I've posted that more times than you have, but the truth is, they aren't very highly rated. They are decently rated. Not game-changers, not recruits that will hold anyone hostage.

What's your point? That these kids are going to play for Arkansas regardless? I agree 100%.
Arkansas kids are more likely to stick it out than out of state kids. But it's not a guarantee. See Hunter Mickelson...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2017, 09:03:30 am
Well, they are actually committed to Arkansas, so there is that. They have also all PUBLICLY stated that they would like to play together. Where else are all 8 of them going to get to do that? These are Arkansas kids that want to play for the University of Arkansas. Obviously, they committed to Mike Anderson, but I don't think they're going to give up their opportunity to play for the U of A just because Anderson might be let go. The only Arkansas kids we've had trouble getting were the highly-ranked ones (Goodwin/Allen/Monk) and the ones we did not aggressively pursue (Willis/Smith/Ready/Reaves). Getting Reggie Perry was truly a big deal. The others were likely coming regardless.

Sometimes you just have to do the math in your head. I absolutely believe a new coach could keep every single one of these kids. Their only chance to play together is at Arkansas. Their only home is Arkansas. No one is saying they will be unfazed by a Mike Anderson firing.
I know quite a few kids that would have loved to play college basketball together but didn't because they felt something else was better for them. Happens every year in recruiting. Think it doesn't?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 03:21:37 pm
I know quite a few kids that would have loved to play college basketball together but didn't because they though something else was better for them. Happens every year in recruiting. Think it doesn't?

Sure, we'll take your word for it. Because it can possibly happen, and you 'know quite a few kids.'

I'm sold.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 03:21:37 pm
I know quite a few kids that would have loved to play college basketball together but didn't because they felt something else was better for them. Happens every year in recruiting. Think it doesn't?

Ever know 5-8 of them that were either signed or committed to the same school and then all went their seperate ways because they "felt something else was better for them?"

FineAsSwine

Most likely that everybody stays because it is most likely that CMA will be here coaching them.

navyhog24

Well no need to worry about any of them defecting now. MA will be there to sign them in November. We just gotta fill those last 2 spots of the '18 class and the last spot of the '17 class.

1hawgballer2

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 09, 2017, 08:12:18 am
This isn't the University of Mike Anderson. It's the University of Arkansas.

If they don't stick after a coaching change, they were never "committed" to making the Razorbacks prominent again. We need players that want to be "Razorbacks", not to come here because of some HC that runs an undisciplined, chaotic, lack of preparation basketball program that will never achieve the type of success that we deserve. Hopefully they are not like the Archie Goodwin's and the Malik Monk's of the world, which are in it for themselves, not for team success.
Response: if we rely on your reasoning why was the program dead after Nolan was terminated. These young men chose Mike and their parents are all behind Him as well...

Pig in the Pokey

This thread is complete ass. Why the hell is this in our RECRUITING FORUM?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 17, 2017, 08:22:02 pm
This thread is complete ass. Why the hell is this in our RECRUITING FORUM?

Interestingly, threads like these are immediately deleted in the football recruiting forum. Hmmm....

Razorpigg

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 18, 2017, 12:06:58 am
Interestingly, threads like these are immediately deleted in the football recruiting forum. Hmmm....

Yup agenda city.  Starts at the top I think... just judging by past comments.

poloprince

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 18, 2017, 12:06:58 am
$PoLoPrInCe$

raz1965

yeah this thread really has no merit, since no coach has changed.