Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Javon Franklin

Started by Razorod, February 22, 2016, 07:34:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 09, 2016, 04:50:03 pm
Qualls started off as a small 4 here, then developed his outside shot. Javon could do the same. Worth a scholarship.

But do we really have enough scholarships assuming everyone makes it to campus and nobody transfers?
We need another big that can play the 5 or a PG. We have a lot of guys that can play the 3/4 spot that Javon would be competing against.

Bailey, Hazen, Hall, Perry, Henderson
That's not a necessary need right now IMO.

wavybone

Yeah I think someone would have to transfer from the team this year that is a 4 in order to make room for Javon.

mhuff

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on December 12, 2016, 11:11:32 am
But do we really have enough scholarships assuming everyone makes it to campus and nobody transfers?
We need another big that can play the 5 or a PG. We have a lot of guys that can play the 3/4 spot that Javon would be competing against.

Bailey, Hazen, Hall, Perry, Henderson
That's not a necessary need right now IMO.

Letsroll1200

I think that Javon will end up going Juco before he ends up at a 4 year school.

navyhog24

If we don't get a true big to finish the '17 class, I'd love to add Franklin if he could qualify. The kid just oozes potential.

MGB1229

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 15, 2017, 08:35:39 am
If we don't get a true big to finish the '17 class, I'd love to add Franklin if he could qualify. The kid just oozes potential.

Yep and especially if he keeps developing that jumper and handles.

NWAHog479

What is the difference between him and Hall for anybody that have watched both play

FineAsSwine

Quote from: NWAHog479 on February 15, 2017, 09:21:46 am
What is the difference between him and Hall for anybody that have watched both play

I don't see a problem having two guys like Franklin, if Hall's game is similar. If both develop solid handles and an outside shot, this would be scary for opposing offenses and on defense, they would rule the passing lanes.

navyhog24

Is he not rated higher bc of academics? or what's the story on him qualifying? Does anyone know?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: NWAHog479 on February 15, 2017, 09:21:46 am

Hall is the superior player. Stronger, can handle and bring the ball up the floor, underrated play-maker as a passer, can score from the wing or inside. Javon needs to work on handles and face-up mid-range game, almost everything he gets is inside / around the hoop. At 6-6, even with his elite hops, that won't be enough at high-major level.

As far as dunking goes ... Javon is the most-explosive player in the state, and he and Hall are the best 2 dunkers in the state.

Here are some video clips I took last night of Darious Hall -- he is sooooo underrated nationally, gifted player with the length, stength, athleticism, and high BBall IQ ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/831679212889194497

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/831684434093019137

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/831679680084340736

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/831685861917990912

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/831686474617716739

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/831690426461589506

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/831691039580758016

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/831694218905153538

The_Iceman

Franklin is so similar to Qualls in high school. Qualls started out as an undersized 4, then slowly developed into a solid college 3. Hall is unique in that he has a true 3-man skill set at 6'6". Can post up smaller guys, has the handles to get around bigger guys, and has a good shot.

navyhog24

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 15, 2017, 10:44:40 am
Is he not rated higher bc of academics? or what's the story on him qualifying? Does anyone know?

As far as Franklin....does anyone know?

HardingHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 15, 2017, 03:52:22 pm
As far as Franklin....does anyone know?

I don't have any actual knowledge of it, but that could be part of it. It could also be simply because of questions on how he'll translate to the next level. He's not a Day 1 starter at Arkansas because, as stated, he's a 6'6 post player whose only "translateable" skill is his athleticism. So, possibly it's academic related, but I look at him as a slightly more athletic/thinner Adrio Bailey

The_Iceman

Quote from: HardingHog on February 15, 2017, 08:13:07 pm
I don't have any actual knowledge of it, but that could be part of it. It could also be simply because of questions on how he'll translate to the next level. He's not a Day 1 starter at Arkansas because, as stated, he's a 6'6 post player whose only "translateable" skill is his athleticism. So, possibly it's academic related, but I look at him as a slightly more athletic/thinner Adrio Bailey

He is very comparable to Michael Qualls at the same point in their careers.

The_Bionic_Pig

February 16, 2017, 07:56:26 pm #115 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:41:04 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
\I think the plan is to re-recruit Perry & Franklin in JUCO and to reunite them with their teammates in 2019.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 16, 2017, 07:56:26 pm
:-\I think the plan is to re-recruit Perry & Franklin in JUCO and to reunite them with their teammates in 2019.

Czar Perry, Javon Franklin, and Justice Hill would be a good start to the 2019 class!

RaisinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 16, 2017, 09:30:46 pm
Czar Perry, Javon Franklin, and Justice Hill would be a good start to the 2019 class!

Except we have zero scholarships for that class at this time

The_Iceman

Quote from: RaisinHog on February 16, 2017, 10:04:38 pm
Except we have zero scholarships for that class at this time

You know how that goes.

RaisinHog

No doubt but for 3 to open ....

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RaisinHog on February 16, 2017, 11:38:48 pm
No doubt but for 3 to open ....
he can't get caught with his pants down again with a 2 to the NBA deal.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 16, 2017, 09:30:46 pm

Screw Czar Perry.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 17, 2017, 07:45:44 am
Screw Czar Perry.

Sitting behind some people during the Parkview vs El Dorado game at the Rumble on the Ridge last year and someone said CMA better get on this kid and another person in the crowd replied that it was too late, Czar is going to KY.

I laughed because, at the time, I thought it was just a parent or friend of the family who was frustrated or felt slighted that Czar didn't get an offer from the Hogs.

Had no idea that this came from Czar's public statements that "his dream" was to play for KY. Pretty brash comment from a kid without any major college offers (that I know of) so it would be awesome if he were able to pull it off.

Maybe he gets pissed at not getting that chance and comes here looking to make them pay. We get it all the time from kids who left here and always try to have a career day whenever they cross paths with the Hogs.

The_Iceman

I think y'all are looking way too much into Czar's comments.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 17, 2017, 06:16:31 pm

He is an Arkansas kid who said his dream is to play for Kentucky. Only one way to read into that.

No thanks.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 17, 2017, 06:28:17 pm
He is an Arkansas kid who said his dream is to play for Kentucky. Only one way to read into that.

No thanks.

So it's bad for a kid to have the dream to play for one of the top basketball programs in the history of college basketball, and is putting numerous players in the NBA per year?

It's not like he pulled a Michael Dyer and dissed our program and state. As long as he is also respectful to us, he is welcome here.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 17, 2017, 06:36:41 pm
So it's bad for a kid to have the dream to play for one of the top basketball programs in the history of college basketball, and is putting numerous players in the NBA per year?

It's not like he pulled a Michael Dyer and dissed our program and state. As long as he is also respectful to us, he is welcome here.

Is it bad for me to not want him to play for Arkansas because he wants to go to Kentucky given the recent history? I don't think so. If you don't mind, cool. I do. I have a personal zero tolerance with that school. Doesn't really matter that either of us think, though. I'm tired of Arkansas kids yearning to be Wildcats. If he wants it, I want it for him.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 17, 2017, 06:16:31 pm

100% agree. Darius Philon wanted to got to Bama. I would still take him 1000 times over

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 17, 2017, 07:27:46 pm
100% agree. Darius Philon wanted to got to Bama. I would still take him 1000 times over

So you're telling me an Alabama kid wanted to go to Arkansas but ended up having to go to Arkansas. Sounds like the exact opposite of this situation.

The_Iceman

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 17, 2017, 07:56:39 pm
So you're telling me an Alabama kid wanted to go to Arkansas but ended up having to go to Arkansas. Sounds like the exact opposite of this situation.

Arkansas wasn't either kids first choice. But Philon did make a big impact here and Perry can as well

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 17, 2017, 11:03:06 pm
Arkansas wasn't either kids first choice. But Philon did make a big impact here and Perry can as well

I get that.

But Philon was from Alabama and wanted to play there. Didn't work out so we ended up at Arkansas. Perry is from Arkansas and wants to play for Kentucky. I do not care for kids like that any longer. I just don't.

If he ends up a Hog, I'll have to get over it, but neither school is recruiting him now and if he goes JUCO, I doubt Arkansas ever does recruit him given the projected scholarship numbers in 2019 (not even a spot open for Hill and there are numerous in-state talents that would surely be a priority over Perry should more spots open up). Hope he gets that Kentucky offer, though. I really do. He'll be alright. Just don't want him in Hog red.

The_Bionic_Pig

February 18, 2017, 10:49:56 pm #132 Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:00:56 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Quote from: Hawg Red on February 17, 2017, 06:52:30 pm
Is it bad for me to not want him to play for Arkansas because he wants to go to Kentucky given the recent history? I don't think so. If you don't mind, cool. I do. I have a personal zero tolerance with that school. Doesn't really matter that either of us think, though. I'm tired of Arkansas kids yearning to be Wildcats. If he wants it, I want it for him.

He probably still ends up here if we we're to offer...His current teamates would be a Junior
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 18, 2017, 10:49:56 pm
He probably still ends up here if we we're to offer...His current teamates would be a Junior

Doubt he gets an offer. I'm projecting that the coaches will not need a JUCO in a class where there are currently no spots even available for the one commit we have. There are in-state prep players attractive enough to pursue over him if multiple spots come open.

songofthesword

Lol i went to mills.  I looked at the hall clip and literally the only thing i can think about is running suicides on that damn court

The_Iceman

ShadowHawg

If Franklin has a good head on his shoulders, good motor, and qualifies, I would be thrilled to get a kid like this.

Despite what a lot of people believe, there really aren't a lot of guys that size with ELITE athleticism. Athleticism is a skill set. It's just one that isn't coachable so it isn't valued as much as it should be.

If the kid has a motor, then at his size, with long arms, and a good motor, this kid could be a monster on defense.

How valuable would a kid be if at 6'5", he couldn't shoot a lick, but could go out and frustrate De'Aaron Fox?

I don't know anything about this kid other than what I see in these little clips so I don't know if he fits the total bill, but his athleticism alone makes him intriguing.

Hollywood870

Quote from: hogwood on December 09, 2016, 11:08:20 am
Corliss and Alonzo were both 6'7".

They should not be compared though because Franklin is not a big.
Wickipedia has Corliss at 6'7 so I was wrong. Lane is listed at 6'7 as well but he had to had been 6'5 tops. He could really get up on some of his post moves though.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 23, 2017, 12:44:40 pm
If Franklin has a good head on his shoulders, good motor, and qualifies, I would be thrilled to get a kid like this.

Despite what a lot of people believe, there really aren't a lot of guys that size with ELITE athleticism. Athleticism is a skill set. It's just one that isn't coachable so it isn't valued as much as it should be.

If the kid has a motor, then at his size, with long arms, and a good motor, this kid could be a monster on defense.

How valuable would a kid be if at 6'5", he couldn't shoot a lick, but could go out and frustrate De'Aaron Fox?

I don't know anything about this kid other than what I see in these little clips so I don't know if he fits the total bill, but his athleticism alone makes him intriguing.

If you go watch Michael Qualls high school highlights, there are so many similarities with Franklin. Similar build, skill set, and athleticism. If Mike could develop Qualls into a all-sec Small Forward,  then he could with Franklin as well.

hawginbigd1

If he is eligible he needs to get an offer and a certain Freshman needs to find a home at UAB or Northern Iowa etc. IMO

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 23, 2017, 02:59:03 pm
If he is eligible he needs to get an offer and a certain Freshman needs to find a home at UAB or Northern Iowa etc. IMO

Northern Iowa or Fort Wayne would be a really good landing spot for him. Could be in the tournament a lot at those places.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hollywood870 on February 23, 2017, 01:53:45 pm
Wickipedia has Corliss at 6'7 so I was wrong. Lane is listed at 6'7 as well but he had to had been 6'5 tops. He could really get up on some of his post moves though.
Those publicized measurements are wrong so often.

Charles Barkley was always listed as 6'6 but he was 6'4 and a 1/2 inch.

OnTheHillHogFan

Watched the Parkview and Mills game tonight. If Franklin can qualify I think we should offer. He's close to 6'7 and is just as explosive as Adrio or Qualls.

Khalil looks like he is every bit of 6'5 now as well. Hall just barely taller than him
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Razorod

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on February 24, 2017, 10:17:34 pm
Watched the Parkview and Mills game tonight. If Franklin can qualify I think we should offer. He's close to 6'7 and is just as explosive as Adrio or Qualls.

Khalil looks like he is every bit of 6'5 now as well. Hall just barely taller than him
Do you have some observations on the three players? Their games, fit in system? What they might bring?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorod on February 25, 2017, 07:18:16 am
Do you have some observations on the three players? Their games, fit in system? What they might bring?

I would be interested to hear this as well.

cableguy

February 25, 2017, 08:12:36 am #145 Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:23:55 am by cableguy
Quote from: HardingHog on February 15, 2017, 08:13:07 pm
You are spot on with the Adrio Bailey comparison. I watch him play last night against Mills. He was the most athletic man out there. To think of it in football terms, he would be a running back with 4.3 speed but has trouble holding on the the ball. He can't shoot free throws a lick. I've watched UALR play this year and he could start there today. He could definitely help the Hogs but not in his first year. I think it must be academics holding him back. People at the game sitting by me speculated the same thing.

Hollywood870

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 23, 2017, 11:30:53 pm
Those publicized measurements are wrong so often.

Charles Barkley was always listed as 6'6 but he was 6'4 and a 1/2 inch.
Yep. And I could have sworn Sacramento listed Corliss at under 6'6 his rookie year.

OnTheHillHogFan

February 25, 2017, 07:54:40 pm #147 Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:23:54 pm by OnTheHillHogFan
Quote from: Razorod on February 25, 2017, 07:18:16 am
Franklin: Similar game to Adrio but a little taller. Very explosive and long. Was very aggressive in trying to finish and attacked the glass very hard last night. Had a few good pst moves as well.

Henderson: Didn't play very much last night because of fouls trouble. He's between 6'7 and 6'8 and long. Great fit for a pressing team at the 4.

Garland: 6'5 wing that can handle the ball pretty well. More of a slasher right now but his outside shot looked good. He was in foul trouble as well so his minutes were limited as well. Wasn't his best game last night but I've seen him dominate games before. He should be in the second unit next season.

CJ White: 2018 G probably about 6'4. Not quite the athlete as Garland but he was Parkview's best player last night. Shot the ball well and made some great passes at key moments as well.

Moses Moody: 2020 6'1 G. Had 10 points in the second half. Made a huge 3 late in the 4th and made the 2 free throws in OT to win it. Looks like a top 75 player at least right now.

Darius Hall: Looks like the true SF that we need. About 6'6 and long. A good defender and rebounder. Has better handles than Qualls or Adrio did at this point and the shot looks good.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Razorod

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on February 25, 2017, 07:54:40 pm
Franklin: Similar game to Adrio but a little taller. Very explosive and long. Was very aggressive in trying to finish and attacked the glass very hard last night. Had a few good pst moves as well.

Henderson: Didn't play very much last night because of fouls trouble. He's between 6'7 and 6'8 and long. Great fit for a pressing team at the 4.

Garland: 6'5 wing that can handle the ball pretty well. More of a slasher right now but his outside shot looked good. He was in foul trouble as well so his minutes were limited as well. Wasn't his best game last night but I've seen him dominate games before. He should be in the second unit next season.

CJ White: 2018 G probably about 6'4. Not quite the athlete as Garland but he was Parkview's best player right night. Shot the ball well and made some great passes at key moments as well.

Moses Moody: 2020 6'1 G. Had 10 points in the second half. Made a huge 3 late in the 4th and made the 2 free throws in OT to win it. Looks like a top 75 player at least right now.

Darius Hall: Looks like the true SF that we need. About 6'6 and long. A good defender and rebounder. Has better handles than Qualls or Adrio did at this point and the shot looks good.
Thanks very much!
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 26, 2016, 02:05:55 pm
Not trying to hijack the thread but whatever happened to Jason Henry he left after freshman season and declared for the draft...didn't get drafted and then disappeared off the face of the earth.
https://www.google.com/amp/5newsonline.com/2015/03/30/former-razorback-known-by-pimp-name-allstar-jailed-in-fayetteville-police-say/amp/