Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chicken thighs...split off from the BBQ Pitmasters thread

Started by Boarcephus, June 26, 2012, 07:15:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Help me out here....I saw them take some chicken out of a muffin tin.  What were they doing and how did they do it???  Looked pretty decent but I got in on the last part where they were just pulling off the grill and missed everything leading up to it.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Shag66 on June 26, 2012, 12:01:00 pm
boom!

Try it Boarcephus!

It is the stuff....

I think I'm gonna be all over this one, too. 
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Safe to say this has some possibilities.   When you finish cooking in the oven, you just place them on the egg skin side up and don't turn them at all?   Those are about as good a looking chicken thighs as I've seen.  I may have to try this the next time I get itch of chicken on the grill.

I marinated some boneless, skinless thighs in Hoisin Sauce, Teriyaki Sauce and some Sweat Chili Sauce this weekend that was good.  Marinated them for a couple hours, threw them on the egg then hit them with a healthy dose of Cain's BBQ Spice.  Had some left over and made some Zatarains Yellow Rice, chopped up the chicken and threw them in with that.   Added about a half of a Cow Horn Pepper, little soy sauce and that was pretty darn good.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

SpareRib

Thanks, Boar.  Best lookin' thighs I've drooled over in a while!
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

DadVader1

Thanks Boar!  I don't have time for a long smoke this weekend but was looking for something to try Sunday afternoon.  I think I'll give this a try! 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DadVader1

Thanks again for sharing! I tried this recipe tonight, & it was the best chicken I've done. The first part in the broth kept it moist, & the higher temps afterward got the skin crisp. This will be my new go-to method for chicken.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: SpareRib on June 27, 2012, 09:25:59 am
Thanks, Boar.  Best lookin' thighs I've drooled over in a while!

Boar and a few others should organize a Tailgate Central BBQ Pittmasters retreat. We could all sit around the smokers swilling beer while they give us some tips

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boar on June 27, 2012, 08:52:50 am
Correct, BC.  No turning when it gets to the smoker...just try to keep it to about 350 for 40 minutes or until the color looks right.

How important is the glaze and what do you put in it?  Plan on doing those this weekend.  That's what chicken thighs are supposed to look like.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Boar on July 03, 2012, 10:07:25 am
I don't use a glaze or sauce...only a rub.  My favorite is Plowboys Yardbird Rub.(thanks Shag)

At Myron's cooking school, he mixed all kinds of sweet stuff for his glaze...said the goal was to give the judges what they like to eat.  He also went for appearance and made the glaze as shiney as possible.  Some of ingredients:  maple syrup, honey, dark brown sugar, 16 oz jar of seedless jam, vinegar bbq sauce, hickory bbq sauce, and catsup.

That glaze ruined his thighs for me...way too sweet. 

You might try half with your favorite rub and half with your favorite bbq sauce...adding the sauce the last 15 minutes.

According to several of the guys on pit masters the hardest part about traveling the country is figuring out what the different regions like.  Some guys just stick to their own style and that is why they are only successful in 1 region.

hoosier

This looks really good. I wonder how much you would need to adjust the cooking time or temp for breasts?

hoosier

Will try it next time I do chicken.
And you only use broth in the marinade? No spices?

PEtrader

Quote from: Boar on June 26, 2012, 08:56:27 pm

You need to upgrade to the pacific something broth they have at wmt.  it's is about 2.18 a box, and more for the organic, but is awesome.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

PEtrader

Quote from: Boar on July 05, 2012, 11:03:41 pm
I'll check it out...mainly going for the sodium for the marinade.  If all checks and it's healthier...more power to it.

I don't know about the sodium count, but it tastes alot better.  It tastes like real chicken broth if you made it yourself.  The organic tastes even better, but it is hard for me to pay $4 for some stock.http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foods/broths

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Boarcephus

OK Boar, bought the bone in thighs a little while ago and they marinate tonight.  Tomorrow we try these out.  If they come out looking halfway like yours and taste as good as they look, tomorrow will be great.

BR

Made them last night, they rocked... Along with Bacon Wrapped Sweet Corn.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Tim Harris

I'm going to give these a shot one night this week.  Will have to adjust the time a little to do quarters but if they turn out half as good as these look I'll be happy.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Tim Harris on July 10, 2012, 03:05:50 pm
I'm going to give these a shot one night this week.  Will have to adjust the time a little to do quarters but if they turn out half as good as these look I'll be happy.

I followed it to the T and they turned out great.

My only complaint is that it is time consuming.  Boar, wonder if I can get close to the same results if I bypass the marinating and baking stage and place them on the egg over a pan of water and smoke for however long?

jdelo77

Do you guys glaze the thighs ???? I made these a few days ago and just brushed them with bbq sauce and rub but, it over powered the meat..any suggestions ???

Boarcephus

Quote from: jdelow77 on July 11, 2012, 05:07:22 pm
Do you guys glaze the thighs ???? I made these a few days ago and just brushed them with bbq sauce and rub but, it over powered the meat..any suggestions ???

Boar said he didn't glaze them so I didn't either.  What I did do was hit them with a pretty good dose of rub and cooked them a little longer and they got halfway crispy on me. 

Tim Harris

Thighs just went in the smoker. Interested to see if they turn out as good as yours look.

Tim Harris

These turned out great.  Thanks for the tips........

Tim Harris

I preferred the glazed. My wife doesn't like "wet" BBQ so those 2 were hers.

Boarcephus

Gotta admit, Boar nailed this one.  Question....what did you glaze them with?

Better yet, chicken thighs are cheap!  $1.90 a pound at Sam's.  Really kinda hard to find a better piece of meat cheaper than this.

Tim Harris

These were glazed with a combination of blues hogs regular BBQ sauce, the Tennessee red, and a little honey. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Tim Harris on July 16, 2012, 07:34:38 am
These were glazed with a combination of blues hogs regular BBQ sauce, the Tennessee red, and a little honey. 

Let me get you off that "666" in your karma box. Bad juju.  ;)

Where did you buy your bbq sauce?  Never heard of them.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 16, 2012, 07:45:47 am
Let me get you off that "666" in your karma box. Bad juju.  ;)

Where did you buy your bbq sauce?  Never heard of them.

The regular Blues Hogs I got at a grocery store here in Harrison.  The Blues Hog Tennesse Red I got off of Amazon.

DadVader1

I stumbled across a recipe that was an attempt at a cloned version of Blues Hog.  I've never had Blues Hog so don't know if the recipe gets close, but I've used the recipe a couple of times and like it: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6680069052/m/2801034336/p/3 (the recipe is about half way down the page, also copy & pasted below)

2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1.5 cups ketchup
1/2 cup+2T+2t or 5/8 Cups cider vinegar
5T+1t white sugar
2t Morton kosher salt
1T+1t chili powder
heaping 2t ground black pepper, not too fine, not too coarse
2T+2t Worcestershire
16 drops drops vanilla
1/2t granulated garlic
1/2t allspice
1t cayenne

hoosier

Fixed these yesterday. Everybody loved them! For the glaze I used a locally made sauce and a jar of apricot preserves. Gave it a nice sweetness but still got a little spice from the bbq sauce.

jhippy

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Thanks Boar but I not been in NWA in 15 years.   If I can make it I PM you.

jhippy

I have used several things from you guys. Thanks for the tips!

JOHNP

Does anyone have the pictures to the recipe? Im not able to pull them up.
Thanks in advance!

DeltaBoy

jhippy

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

DeltaBoy

jhippy

About to pull these out of the oven and then on the smoker!

DeltaBoy

The only other time I get excited about Thighs is when I see Scarlet Johansson in a short skirt.

jhippy

DeltaBoy