Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We've played the top 2 teams in the league on the road + led Miss State...

Started by dsims2k3, January 21, 2018, 02:16:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dsims2k3

Most of that game (should've won that one)... Throw out the LSU game. BE RATIONAL and let the dust settle.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

hawginbigd1

Seeing the absolutely horrible defense we are playing every game is NOT being rational?

Danny J

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 21, 2018, 02:58:08 pm
Seeing the absolutely horrible defense we are playing every game is NOT being rational?
Yep...worst in the league almost always translates to road losses. We were last before giving up 93 yesterday...just bad.

3of5-2

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 21, 2018, 02:16:56 pm
Most of that game (should've won that one)... Throw out the LSU game. BE RATIONAL and let the dust settle.
Why not just throw out all of the losses?

ParkerSchnabel

Its never as good or as bad as many think. People over react to every game. Nature of fandom. For whatever reason some just don't like Mike. Sure they say they do. But they don't. Streetball. No adjustments. No fundamentals. Translates to stupid guy can't coach.

He got the job here out of luck. There was no merit whatsoever to his hiring. His success at Mizzou and UAB were just pure luck. Basically Mike is dumb. No way he could possibly be smart. Nope. Maybe some are still angry at Nolan over being sued.. I don't know. But its petty. He gave us one of our best seasons in 20 years and could still easily give us another one this year.

But by all means lets trash the guy like he was a lazy as Bielema.

3of5-2

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 21, 2018, 03:38:11 pm
Its never as good or as bad as many think. People over react to every game. Nature of fandom. For whatever reason some just don't like Mike. Sure they say they do. But they don't. Streetball. No adjustments. No fundamentals. Translates to stupid guy can't coach.

He got the job here out of luck. There was no merit whatsoever to his hiring. His success at Mizzou and UAB were just pure luck. Basically Mike is dumb. No way he could possibly be smart. Nope. Maybe some are still angry at Nolan over being sued.. I don't know. But its petty. He gave us one of our best seasons in 20 years and could still easily give us another one this year.

Feel better? Have a Snickers.

popcornhog

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 21, 2018, 03:25:12 pm
Why not just throw out all of the losses?

I think that he meant throw out the anomaly when looking at the big picture.

The last 2-3 weeks have been bad, but when considered as a whole, things MIGHT not be as bad as they currently seem. We'll find out for sure one way or another over the next two months.

I was at the Bud on Saturday and it was a nice crowd, so people are still engaged, that's good.

The biggest positive for me was that CJ Jones got back on track shooting. If he is shooting well I really believe we can get back on track and make a run. His scoring ability off of the bench changes things.
WPS

3of5-2

Quote from: popcornhog on January 21, 2018, 03:57:09 pm
I think that he meant throw out the anomaly when looking at the big picture.

The last 2-3 weeks have been bad, but when considered as a whole, things MIGHT not be as bad as they currently seem. We'll find out for sure one way or another over the next two months.

I was at the Bud on Saturday and it was a nice crowd, so people are still engaged, that's good.

The biggest positive for me was that CJ Jones got back on track shooting. If he is shooting well I really believe we can get back on track and make a run. His scoring ability off of the bench changes things.
I know what he meant, but we are about 8 points away from being 0-7 in the conference. That's not an anomaly.

hawginbigd1

All of this is 180 degrees from what you are complaining about, how come there can't be some middle ground. Over 6 plus seasons 2 tournament victories and no conference championship, I think most rational people would say that is mediocre at best, he is not being paid to be mediocre at best. He is the coach, this is all his responsibility.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

HoggyCat

I started a thread taking about our losses. Feel free to merge them. We're not in bad as shape as it really appears. Houston loss looks less bad as season carries on.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

cram224

If I'm not mistaken the only recruiting Anderson does or goes is where the Arkansas Wings Play.

hawgfan4life

Ironic how quick we disregard positive stats but hang on to negative stats.  Yes defense is statistically bad, but offense is statistically good.  Sorry coaches is defensive problem and luck for offense I guess.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 21, 2018, 04:02:22 pm
I know what he meant, but we are about 8 points away from being 0-7 in the conference. That's not an anomaly.
Lol Arkansas fans are the only ones that I've ever heard that complain about how much we win by. A win is a win.

3of5-2

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 21, 2018, 04:42:37 pm
Lol Arkansas fans are the only ones that I've ever heard that complain about how much we win by. A win is a win.
And a loss is a loss. We look bad at both, just worst when we lose.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 21, 2018, 04:02:22 pm
lets just throw out all the wins
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

razorpimp

Neither game was even close....moral victory!!!  Life champions!!!! Participation ribbon!!!!!

razorpimp

Also for everyone crowing about how good the SEC is, ESPN BPI rates the SEC as the fifth best conference right above the American conference....so how bad is that conference record

3of5-2

Quote from: razorpimp on January 21, 2018, 04:57:46 pm
Also for everyone crowing about how good the SEC is, ESPN BPI rates the SEC as the fifth best conference right above the American conference....so how bad is that conference record
It's just to help justify some of these losses. The SEC is not better, it's just average.

elksnort

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 21, 2018, 02:16:56 pm
Damn, another moron.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 21, 2018, 05:08:32 pm
It's just to help justify some of these losses. The SEC is not better, it's just average.
we will see this weekend
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

3kgthog

LSU wasn't an anomaly. It was a normal Mike Anderson coaching mismatch gone bad. Houston thumped us. So did UNC, Auburn, and Florida. All teams with better coaches.

Our win against OU was an anomaly. They'd stomp a mud hole in these Hogs at any venue if they were to play again.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 21, 2018, 06:04:25 pm
LSU wasn't an anomaly. It was a normal Mike Anderson coaching mismatch gone bad. Houston thumped us. So did UNC, Auburn, and Florida. All teams with better coaches.

Our win against OU was an anomaly. They'd stomp a mud hole in these Hogs at any venue if they were to play again.
so when we beat Minnesota Oklahoma and Tenneseee it was all an anomaly

hogfan10

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 21, 2018, 06:18:41 pm

He clearly said OU was an anomaly. I think if you scanned this year's results, two would stand out as not belonging; OU & LSU.

razorpimp

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 21, 2018, 06:18:41 pm

Those were all good wins you are correct Banner....this is just not the same team, not even close....and Mike has done nothing to correct the problem, this is not the same defense that controlled Trae Young

20gauge

Good wins for sure. The difference is those teams have progressed making us look good while we have regressed. Progressing should be the normal trajectory of a team. I don't think anyone expected is to go undefeated in league play. But I'm pretty sure we should t be having to scrape out and hold on for wins at home against slight above .500 teams.

All I read on here was how none of the teams we were fixing to play have played as tough a schedule as we had. Their record was inflated by beating bad teams.

This team getting ranked was the worst thing that could have happened. It absolutely got in their head and they haven't fully recovered and may not. Hope they do

HoggyCat

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 21, 2018, 04:42:37 pm

Coastal Carolina Chuckles.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

GuvHog

Name one university where Mike Anderson has been a head coach and built a successful winning program.

Lets review:

Mike was at UAB for 3 years and was successful but some of the previous coach's recruits were still on the team when he left.

Mike was at Missouri for 5 years. He was very successful in his first 3 years there while some of the previous HC's players were still on the team. In years 4 and 5, the program began to decline as the previous HC's players left the team. In year 5, all of the players on that team were Mike's recruits and they tanked in conference play winning only 1 conference road game against what was then a horrible Iowa State team.

When Mike was being offered the Arkansas job, there were red flags all over the place that I and many others tried to point out but we were shouted down, called names, and made fun of. 7 years later, what we said has proven to be true.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

razorback1829

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 07:00:19 am
Name one university where Mike Anderson has been a head coach and built a successful winning program.

Lets review:

Mike was at UAB for 3 years and was successful but some of the previous coach's recruits were still on the team when he left.

Mike was at Missouri for 5 years. He was very successful in his first 3 years there while some of the previous HC's players were still on the team. In years 4 and 5, the program began to decline as the previous HC's players left the team. In year 5, all of the players on that team were Mike's recruits and they tanked in conference play winning only 1 conference road game against what was then a horrible Iowa State team.

When Mike was being offered the Arkansas job, there were red flags all over the place that I and many others tried to point out but we were shouted down, called names, and made fun of. 7 years later, what we said has proven to be true.

Well you have a lot of facts wrong my friend. Always have been that way though haha. The first year he went to UAB he pretty much cleaned house and brought in 5 of his own guys. There were seniors that graduated after the his first year at UAB (where they made it to the conference championship by beating up DWade, Crean, and Marquette).
Next year he got Squeaky Johnson and the Taylor Twins. None of his starters his second year at UAB were from the previous coach.

Missouri was more or less the same. Had some holdovers from Snyder. His first 2 years at Mizzou were in no way successful whatsoever. Everything changed when he brought 5 Freshmen, and a highly rated JUCO guy in Keith Ramsey. The only holdover in that team were Leo lyons and Matt Lawrence who both didn't play their freshman year under Snyder. Anderson reshape their games. I would've put money that last team had that was left to Haith (MA was about to land Otto Porter out the bootheel as well), if CMA was coaching was a final four team. 

Really all his track record has shown is that very soon we should be into the 3rd weekend of the NCAA.

Let's not worry bout our facts though. You have always had an agenda. Do your research next time smarty.

GuvHog

Quote from: razorback1829 on January 22, 2018, 07:55:15 am
Well you have a lot of facts wrong my friend. Always have been that way though haha. The first year he went to UAB he pretty much cleaned house and brought in 5 of his own guys. There were seniors that graduated after the his first year at UAB (where they made it to the conference championship by beating up DWade, Crean, and Marquette).
Next year he got Squeaky Johnson and the Taylor Twins. None of his starters his second year at UAB were from the previous coach.

Missouri was more or less the same. Had some holdovers from Snyder. His first 2 years at Mizzou were in no way successful whatsoever. Everything changed when he brought 5 Freshmen, and a highly rated JUCO guy in Keith Ramsey. The only holdover in that team were Leo lyons and Matt Lawrence who both didn't play their freshman year under Snyder. Anderson reshape their games. I would've put money that last team had that was left to Haith (MA was about to land Otto Porter out the bootheel as well), if CMA was coaching was a final four team. 

Really all his track record has shown is that very soon we should be into the 3rd weekend of the NCAA.

Let's not worry bout our facts though. You have always had an agenda. Do your research next time smarty.

No, I have it right. Mike has never built a consistently successful winning program as a college HC.

razorback1829

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 08:03:54 am
No, I have it right. Mike has never built a consistently successful winning program as a college HC.

3 straight NCAA's at 2 different programs that were both respective dumpster fires.. yea no consistency. Haha I want some of that you're smoking. It's some good stuff. Foreal though, you're very incorrect.

Hawg Red

I'm one game at a time. We won Saturday. I think we can nip Georgia on the road, too. We'll see. Hanging in there. Winnable games on the immediate schedule.

GuvHog

Quote from: razorback1829 on January 22, 2018, 08:07:07 am
3 straight NCAA's at 2 different programs that were both respective dumpster fires.. yea no consistency. Haha I want some of that you're smoking. It's some good stuff. Foreal though, you're very incorrect.

He didn't build a consistently successful winning program at either university. Just admit you are wrong and move on. His conference road record in his 5th year at Missouri is proof of that.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 22, 2018, 08:07:14 am
I'm one game at a time. We won Saturday. I think we can nip Georgia on the road, too. We'll see. Hanging in there. Winnable games on the immediate schedule.

I would be very well pleased if Mike and his Hogs can turn things around and have a big finish this season.

riccoar

Should have beat MSU and LSU.  Didn't because of defense.  We beat Missouri after they missed a last second 3 point attempt.  I bet every team in the league shoots better 3 point % against us than any other team. 

razorback1829

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 08:15:49 am
He didn't build a consistently successful winning program at either university. Just admit you are wrong and move on. His conference road record in his 5th year at Missouri is proof of that.

A winning program is 3 straight trips in 4 years, a conference championship in 2004, and a Sweet Sixteen at UAB.

3 straight tournament appearances in 5 years, a conference tournament championship, and an Elite 8 appearance at Missouri.

Admit your wrong sir. I'm right on point. All facts.

GuvHog

Quote from: razorback1829 on January 22, 2018, 09:07:40 am
A winning program is 3 straight trips in 4 years, a conference championship in 2004, and a Sweet Sixteen at UAB.

3 straight tournament appearances in 5 years, a conference tournament championship, and an Elite 8 appearance at Missouri.

Admit your wrong sir. I'm right on point. All facts.

No, you're wrong as I have proven. He didn't build a program at UAB, it takes more than 3 years to build a program. His 5th year at Missouri, the only team he had there that was made up entirely of his own recruits, tanked on the road in conference play winning only 1 road game against what was then a horrible Iowa State team.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 09:13:26 am
No, you're wrong as I have proven. He didn't build a program at UAB, it takes more than 3 years to build a program. His 5th year at Missouri, the only team he had there that was made up entirely of his own recruits, tanked on the road in conference play winning only 1 road game against what was then a horrible Iowa State team.

From Wikipedia: 

"In 2002, Anderson took over the program at UAB, which was coming off a 13–17 season and had only one NCAA appearance since 1995. Anderson quickly turned the program around, leading the team to 22 wins and a National Invitation Tournament Quarterfinals appearance. Anderson then led the Blazers to three straight appearances in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. In 2004, the Blazers advanced to the Sweet Sixteen by virtue of a 76–75 upset victory over the University of Kentucky, the tournament's overall #1 seed. UAB ended the season ranked 23rd in the USA Today coaches' poll. Anderson was named Conference USA Coach of the Year, and is the only coach in UAB history to take the Blazers to the post season every year of his tenure."

He brought in 6 freshmen and some JUCOS his first year at UAB.  Do us all a favor and stop posting about this topic.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 22, 2018, 09:28:57 am
From Wikipedia: 

"In 2002, Anderson took over the program at UAB, which was coming off a 13–17 season and had only one NCAA appearance since 1995. Anderson quickly turned the program around, leading the team to 22 wins and a National Invitation Tournament Quarterfinals appearance. Anderson then led the Blazers to three straight appearances in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. In 2004, the Blazers advanced to the Sweet Sixteen by virtue of a 76–75 upset victory over the University of Kentucky, the tournament's overall #1 seed. UAB ended the season ranked 23rd in the USA Today coaches' poll. Anderson was named Conference USA Coach of the Year, and is the only coach in UAB history to take the Blazers to the post season every year of his tenure."

He brought in 6 freshmen and some JUCOS his first year at UAB.  Do us all a favor and stop posting about this topic.

Like I said, it takes more than 3 years to build a program but you keep ignoring the part that the former coaches recruits played in Mike's success at UAB if it makes you feel better. Remember, there are 15 players on a college basketball roster so if Mike brought in 6 then he inherited 9 players.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 09:32:50 am
Like I said, it takes more than 3 years to build a program but you keep ignoring the part that the former coaches recruits played in Mike's success at UAB if it makes you feel better.

Uh...  I'm not ignoring anything. He was there 4 years- leading his team to the post season the final 3. 

He took over Snyder's scandal-ridden program at Mizzou and left with a higher win % than Norm Stewart.  He also left a "little" talent  for Frank Haith. 

Just.  Stop. 

3of5-2

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 22, 2018, 09:28:57 am
From Wikipedia: 

So not much success since 2004. More money less results. What a country.

razorback1829

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 09:32:50 am
Like I said, it takes more than 3 years to build a program but you keep ignoring the part that the former coaches recruits played in Mike's success at UAB if it makes you feel better. Remember, there are 15 players on a college basketball roster so if Mike brought in 6 then he inherited 9 players.

LOL you're making yourself look foolish at this point. You have no real facts. Only your personal perspective. Admit it.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 22, 2018, 09:35:35 am
Uh...  I'm not ignoring anything. He was there 5 years- leading his team to the post season the final 3. 

He took over Snyder's scandal-ridden program at Mizzou and left with a higher win % than Norm Stewart.  He also left a "little" talent  for Frank Haith. 

Just.  Stop. 

He was only at UAB 3 years. Your original post was referring to his tenure at UAB.

Once again, Mike's 5 year at Missouri is the first year there that all of the players on the roster were Mike's recruits. That team tanked on the road in conference play winning only 1 conference road game against what was then a horrible Iowa state team. They did not deserve and should not have gotten an NCAA Tournament bid.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 09:41:25 am
He was only at UAB 3 years. Your original post was referring to his tenure at UAB.

Once again, Mike's 5 year at Missouri is the first year there that all of the players on the roster were Mike's recruits. That team tanked on the road in conference play winning only 1 conference road game against what was then a horrible Iowa state team. They did not deserve and should not have gotten an NCAA Tournament bid.

Mike coached at UAB for 4 years, Guv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)#Head_coaching_record

GuvHog

Quote from: razorback1829 on January 22, 2018, 09:37:26 am
LOL you're making yourself look foolish at this point. You have no real facts. Only your personal perspective. Admit it.

I'm not the one who is looking foolish.

razorback1829

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 09:43:18 am
I'm not the one who is looking foolish.

You can't even get the Years he was at UAB right 😂😂 Come on man. Just stop already.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 09:41:25 am

You are literally spouting opinion without reference to any facts whatsoever.  But I guess it's 2018, so why not?  You're entitled to both an opinion and whatever you invent in your mind as fact. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 22, 2018, 09:42:59 am
Mike coached at UAB for 4 years, Guv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)#Head_coaching_record

Yep, I missed that 4th year. Notice after his second year trip to the Sweet 16, his teams performance in the NCAA Tournament declined the next 2 years. in his fourth year, UAB lost in the first round. The same thing happened at Missouri his last 3 years. An Elite 8 finish, then a round of 32 finish, followed by  a loss in the first round his last year. The trend is obvious.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 22, 2018, 09:46:26 am

You are literally spouting opinion without reference to any facts whatsoever.  But I guess it's 2018, so why not?  You're entitled to both an opinion and whatever you invent in your mind as fact. 

I stated facts. It is a FACT that Mike's last team at Missouri tanked on the road during conference play winning only 1 conference road game against what was then a horrible Iowa State team. They were eliminated in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

razorback1829

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 09:52:04 am
Yep, I missed that 4th year. Notice after his second year trip to the Sweet 16, his teams performance in the NCAA Tournament declined the next 2 years. in his fourth year, UAB lost in the first round. The same thing happened at Missouri his last 3 years. An Elite 8 finish, then a round of 32 finish, followed by  a loss in the first round his last year. The trend is obvious.

No facts. Show me a program that's not a consistent winner. You keep talking about drop off but notice how well each program was kept in tact. I'm talking cold numbers, and 3 straight trips to the NCAA at 2 different schools with 2 second rounds, sweet sixteen, and Elite 8, as well as a regular season conference crown in a tough Confrence USA.. talk facts man. Not agenda.