Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long contract

Started by grayhawg, October 22, 2017, 08:33:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

grayhawg

Does he actually have a new contract or just pulling our leg?

factchecker

Quote from: grayhawg on October 22, 2017, 08:33:35 pm
Does he actually have a new contract or just pulling our leg?

Who is pulling our leg?

I don't think the contract negotiation is until November.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NuttinItUp

I tend to give Long a pass more than most around here. Not sure he could have seen 5 years into the future. I am more concerned about a football coach than an overall athletic director at this point.

grayhawg

Quote from: factchecker on October 22, 2017, 08:35:00 pm
Who is pulling our leg?

I don't think the contract negotiation is until November.
Some on here were saying he was getting a new contract, I just wondering if it's true.

factchecker

Quote from: grayhawg on October 22, 2017, 08:37:27 pm
Some on here were saying he was getting a new contract, I just wondering if it's true.

We will most likely find out sometime in November.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

grayhawg

HardCore

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 22, 2017, 08:35:54 pm
I tend to give Long a pass more than most around here. Not sure he could have seen 5 years into the future. I am more concerned about a football coach than an overall athletic director at this point.

Problem is that the AD selects the coach and that seems to be Long's worst attribute.  So, I am worried about both.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

solitons

I agree it's hard to see 5 years into the future, however, Long even cannot see what is in front of him, sad, a blind person.

Bonehog

Look at the bright side, we are doing great in GPA versus others in the SEC and we graduated more Sports Management majors than most.
If you look at your reflection at the bottom of the well
What you see is only on the surface
When you try to see the meaning, hidden underneath
The measure of the depth can be deceiving
The bottom has a rocky reputation!
                      Joe Walsh

elviscat

Oh! but you left out we are near the bottom in students grade performance. Which has been one of JL bragging rights. That's some achievement. Please tell us more.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Bonehog on October 22, 2017, 08:43:43 pm
Look at the bright side, we are doing great in GPA versus others in the SEC and we graduated more Sports Management majors than most.

https://www.google.com/amp/collegefootballnews.com/2017/05/2017-ncaa-academic-progress-rate-football-apr-rankings/amp

Scroll through and count the SEC teams until you find us. Then look two spots under us....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

EastexHawg

No one can stack up the SEC money like Jeff...all $40 million or so per year of it.  Considering he is the man who put us in the conference, he deserves all the credit for that.  Oh, wait.

Just for perspective, the SEC's reported 2016 intake of around $650 million accounted for close to 2/3 of all revenues reported by the NCAA in 2015. 

Long is to Arkansas making a profit what John L. Smith was to the 2011 Hogs finishing #5 in the polls.

Pork Twain

I hope we get him locked up sooner, rather than later
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Tusks

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 22, 2017, 10:20:37 pm

Man I just don't get the man love for JL.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: tusked on October 22, 2017, 11:16:58 pm
Man I just don't get the man love for JL.

I just don't get the hate...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pork Twain

October 22, 2017, 11:42:14 pm #15 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:57:30 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 22, 2017, 11:38:50 pm
There is no logic behind it.  All they have is one bad contract that looked good at the beginning and the fact that he is not from Arkansas.  After listening to people on here for so many years, I am thankful he is from outside the state.  Way too many on here came from relations between cousins.

I am not sure of this magical AD is out there with Arkansas roots and never makes a bad hire exists, but if you have a problem with what Long has done, you would likely be unhappy with most ADs out there.  If that was the case, JFB was a failure based on Kines, Crowe, Ford, HDN, Heath, and Pel.  Everyone is allowed to make a hiring mistake here and there.  Look no further than aTm (Franchione, Sherman & Sumlin), LSU (Orgeron), Florida (Muschamp & Durkin) and Tennessee (Kiffin, Dooley & Jones).  We are far from alone here.  As for the CBP disaster, it was awful and I am sure Long wishes it would have never have happened and he would have never been forced to make the choices he did, but choices I seriously doubt he made without input from many.  I figure the toughest decision for those most critical of him is whether to have grits or oatmeal for breakfast.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

3kgthog

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 22, 2017, 11:42:14 pm
There is no logic behind it.  All they have is one bad contract that looked good at the beginning and the fact that he is not from Arkansas.  After listening to people on here for so many years, I am thankful he is from outside the state.  Way too many on here came from relations between cousins.

I am not sure of this magical AD is out there with Arkansas roots and never makes a bad hire exists, but if you have a problem with what Long has done, you would likely be unhappy with most ADs out there.  If that was the case, JFB was a failure based on Kines, Crowe, Ford, HDN, Heath, and Pel.  Everyone is allowed to make a hiring mistake here and there.  Look no further than aTm (Franchione, Sherman & Sumlin), LSU (Orgeron), Florida (Muschamp & Durkin) and Tennessee (Kiffin, Dooley & Jones).  We are far from alone here.  As for the CBP disaster, it was awful and I am sure Long wishes it would have never have happened and he would have never been forced to make the choices he did, but choices I seriously doubt he made without input from many.  I figure the toughest decision for those most critical of him is whether to have grits or oatmeal for breakfast.

I wondered when you'd be done editing your original post. Are you good or should I wait some more? Nevermind.

It's not just about the BB contract. It's about building a stupid NEZ expansion we won't fill. It's about hiring Jimmy Dykes. It's about killing slobberin' Hog at BWA and giving us this forward facing abortion Hog that looks like Worf from Star Trek. It's about firing a coach that won 21 football games in two years while running a clean program. It's about hiring a track coach that somehow only has one national title despite having the easiest program in America to recruit to. It's about the basketball ticket price increase following the season we lost Hill, Townes, Thomas, Weems, and Ervin. It's about the 60+% ticket price increase for some folks at RRS while others have seen no increase in a decade.

The man is out of touch with this university and its fans. He treats us as if we are the inbred folks you referred to in your ignorant "cousins" statement. I've found the opposite to be true with many of my fellow Hog fans being educated, informed, and blessed with the ability to recognize a turd when they see it. As Jules Winnfield once said, "Look, you wanna play blind man, go walk with the shepherd. But me, my eyes are wide effin open."

Pig in the Pokey

Ill tell ya'll one more time. He gets an extension next month, that wasnt going to be approved without some changes; things in the pipeline that will make us all happy. rip, Fatty. Hello , Mike.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hoggie17

As long as Long is the AD our football team will be one the worst teams in the SEC.  I guess that's what some want.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 23, 2017, 12:30:28 am
Ill tell ya'll one more time. He gets an extension next month, that wasnt going to be approved without some changes; things in the pipeline that will make us all happy. rip, Fatty. Hello , Mike.

If you are lying...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pork Twain

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 23, 2017, 12:25:56 am
I wondered when you'd be done editing your original post. Are you good or should I wait some more? Nevermind.

It's not just about the BB contract. It's about building a stupid NEZ expansion we won't fill. It's about hiring Jimmy Dykes. It's about killing slobberin' Hog at BWA and giving us this forward facing abortion Hog that looks like Worf from Star Trek. It's about firing a coach that won 21 football games in two years while running a clean program. It's about hiring a track coach that somehow only has one national title despite having the easiest program in America to recruit to. It's about the basketball ticket price increase following the season we lost Hill, Townes, Thomas, Weems, and Ervin. It's about the 60+% ticket price increase for some folks at RRS while others have seen no increase in a decade.

The man is out of touch with this university and its fans. He treats us as if we are the inbred folks you referred to in your ignorant "cousins" statement. I've found the opposite to be true with many of my fellow Hog fans being educated, informed, and blessed with the ability to recognize a turd when they see it. As Jules Winnfield once said, "Look, you wanna play blind man, go walk with the shepherd. But me, my eyes are wide effin open."
In my mind it is many on Hogville that are out of touch.

gchamblee

1. Turns out it was a pretty good contract
2. I thought you guys said football is all that matters? Now you're upset over a coaching hire for Womens Basketball and Track?
3. There is an active thread right now mocking Jeff Long for how cheap tickets were for the Auburn game. Sounds to me like prices re going down, not up?

East Clintwood

Quote from: Bonehog on October 22, 2017, 08:43:43 pm

No we're not.  We're 10th out of 14 teams.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

factchecker

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 23, 2017, 01:21:03 am

We are 10th in APR not GPA.

Our 966 APR is actually the highest APR in program history.

QuoteFootball made a 14-point gain in its multiyear APR for the second straight year to earn a 966 in the most current listing. It is the highest multiyear rate recorded by the football program since APR was implemented and eclipsed the previous record (952) set in 2014-15.

Also, we led all football teams in the SEC with highest number of honor roll members:

QuoteEarlier this year, football led all SEC schools with 39 members on the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll. Arkansas also led the league in overall fall academic honor roll selections (91) in SEC sponsored sports.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorbacks-earn-record-apr/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Also, the graduate success rate has improved almost every year:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

With all that being said, Bielema has to go.  Improving academics is great but he's making millions to win ball games.  I expect Long's future to be tied to Bielema one way or another.

1. Fires Bielema and signs an extension
2. Doesn't fire Bielema and resigns
3. Doesn't fire Bielema and is fired
4. Fires Bielema and resigns
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pork Twain

Quote from: gchamblee on October 23, 2017, 01:05:32 am
1. Turns out it was a pretty good contract
2. I thought you guys said football is all that matters? Now you're upset over a coaching hire for Womens Basketball and Track?
3. There is an active thread right now mocking Jeff Long for how cheap tickets were for the Auburn game. Sounds to me like prices re going down, not up?

You know their approach is pretty baseless when they start bringing up a Women's basketball.

grayhawg

In Washington County Jail?

Hoggish1

So you are OK about Long picking the next football coach?  I'm not.

ricepig

Quote from: elviscat on October 22, 2017, 08:54:58 pm
Oh! but you left out we are near the bottom in students grade performance. Which has been one of JL bragging rights. That's some achievement. Please tell us more.
Quote from: East Clintwood on October 23, 2017, 01:21:03 am

Which is an improvement from the previous coach, the APR is a multi-year function.

Hoggish1

He wanted the NE job.  He'll now be leaving without a job...

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 23, 2017, 07:37:36 am
And this info comes from where?

HoggyCat

October 23, 2017, 07:41:33 am #33 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:15:24 am by HoggyCat
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 23, 2017, 12:30:28 am

My source says 180° the opposite. Long will be gone before the other change is made...... and both are definites.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 23, 2017, 07:37:36 am
Yes because as we have learned with coaching searches, the media is really clued into what is going on, on the Hill.

HoggyCat

Quote from: factchecker on October 23, 2017, 01:58:24 am
Also, the graduate success rate has improved almost every year:

Did you care before April 2012?

Hoggish1

Excellent post but you forgot pepsi, but that might have been the proverbial straw so maybe it was best you didn't pile on.

Long is a smarmy individual that needs to take his act elsewhere.  He has failed at leaving Arkansas before and he just failed again when he didn't get the NE job he applied for.  He sees the handwriting on the wall and that's pretty hard for a blind man.

HoggyCat

Hoggish1

Quote from: factchecker on October 23, 2017, 02:34:45 am
With all that being said, Bielema has to go.  Improving academics is great but he's making millions to win ball games.  I expect Long's future to be tied to Bielema one way or another.

1. Fires Bielema and signs an extension
2. Doesn't fire Bielema and resigns
3. Doesn't fire Bielema and is fired
4. Fires Bielema and resigns
5. Is fired and someone else fires BB

PonderinHog

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 07:45:03 am
Did you care before 2012?
I do, dammit!  We need smart football players!  (So they can devote less time to academics and more time to football!)   ;D

Hoggish1

Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2017, 07:41:28 am
And this info comes from where?

See HoggyCat because my source says the same as his source and we don't have the same sources.

ICEman

Quote from: factchecker on October 23, 2017, 02:05:04 am

Something strange about the juxtaposition of two of those words in this poster.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

hogcard1964

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 22, 2017, 11:38:50 pm

It's not hate, it's just an honest evaluation.

If his contract is up, it's time to move on.

Pork Twain

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 07:41:33 am
My source says 180° the opposite. Long will be gone before the other change is made...... and both are definites.
Nope
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 23, 2017, 07:50:57 am
See HoggyCat because my source says the same as his source and we don't have the same sources.
and nope
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

rhames

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 07:41:33 am

So why is Jeff Long still the AD at the University of Arkansas.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

snoblind

Quote from: factchecker on October 23, 2017, 02:05:04 am

Seems if one wants to float a poster out there touting our academic progress they would spell progress correctly.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: rhames on October 23, 2017, 10:04:02 am

So why is Jeff Long still the AD at the University of Arkansas.
Because people don't understand how Athletic Departments work. For long to hire a coach, he has to get approval from the BOT. If BB was such a horrible hire at the time, then why did the BOT approve? BB wasn't a bad hire, he was a good hire that didn't work out. Long will correct the situation in the normal course of time. You don't want your AD to be over reactionary, like hogville posters. The next coach will be told that he will have time to improve the program and Long can show that BB was given 5-6 years to do it, not 3-4 years. Any coach worth his salt doesn't want to roll into a job knowing he could be fired because of his record, especially at Arkansas in 1-3 years.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: snoblind on October 23, 2017, 10:07:48 am
Seems if one wants to float a poster out there touting our academic progress they would spell progress correctly.
lol