Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MLB.TV

Started by FaytownHog, April 05, 2016, 08:34:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FaytownHog

MLB.TV - Anybody got a subscription? I'm a Cardinals fan in Fayetteville and dont have cable so i was looking into the possibility of buying the online subscription but they have so many blackout rules i'm afraid to spend the money and still not get to see the games as I guess 6 hours away is too close to be out of market or something.

clutch

I'm in NEA and I think the Cards are blacked out in my area. I have DTV and can't get the games. Frustrating.

Hogtropolis™

I'm wondering same thing in Fort Smith area. Would love if anyone in the area could shed some light on this.

OnTheHillHogFan

Get the extra innings package from direct tv
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

lefty08

I have mlbtv  and the cards are blacked out, thank God.

I will say they have a one team package now where you pick your favorite team. I believe it maneuvers around the blackouts but I could be mistaken
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lefty08

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on April 05, 2016, 10:56:07 pm
Get the extra innings package from direct tv

When I had directv they would black out cardinals games too, and it was much more expensive
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: lefty08 on April 05, 2016, 11:19:14 pm
When I had directv they would black out cardinals games too, and it was much more expensive
You can watch the other teams broadcast though I would think. I'm a braves fan though so I live 10 hours away so I have won't have to ever worry about blackouts.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

GolfNut57

Being a Red Sox fan I have subscribed to the MLB.com package for the last several years to be able to watch the games online and I think it is worth the money personally despite the blackouts. I live in Central AR and the teams that are blacked out to me for their live games are the Cardinals, Astros, Rangers and I think Royals. Not sure about the last one though in the past they have been. Usually the blackouts ONLINE are ok though because all 3, or 4, of those teams games are still broadcast on one of the channels I receive from having DirecTV. I just have to find them is all.

The only issue I have with the blackouts, for example, is a Royals vs Red Sox game being blacked out when the game is being played in Boston. Definitely not just around the corner. >:(  So when the Astros, Royals, Rangers or St Louis are playing Boston, regardless of where it is played, home or away, I can count on the live game being blacked out online.

But here are the advantages of subscribing to MLB.com;

1. You can still watch the blacked out games once they are over by clicking the "archived game" link once the game has been played. Just find something else to do while the game is being played. (take the wife and kids out to dinner. Do yard work. ;))

2.You can also watch the games streamed to your mobile phone, IPad, Tablet, Laptops or other electronic devices as long as you have a Wifi connection. Or a HUGE amount of data available on your mobile plan. Just go to the App store and download MLB's At-Bat app to the respective device

3. You can watch any teams games live that are not within your blackout area.

4. An Audio subscription is included at no extra charge with your MLB.com TV subscription so that if you are doing other things while the games are being played such as at work or out to eat you can still listen to the games live. Blackouts do NOT affect listening to the games through your electronic devices.

5. And if you pay for the premium package you can choose which broadcast crew you want to listen to. The home team or the visiting team guys. And in the case of some of these broadcast crews that are outrageous homers for their team (think Hawk Harrelson of the ChiSox) you will want to be able to listen to someone else.

There are a couple other benefits but I have listed enough already. To someone whose favorite team is considered local though? I wouldn't think a MLB.com subscription would be ideal for you since you can and should be able to find your teams games on regular TV as long as you use one of the satellite or cable companies with the sports package. UNLESS you are just a general baseball fan who wants to be able to watch all of the other teams play too.

Anyway, here's the link. Please read the blackout restrictions listed at the bottom of the page. http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp?c_id=mlb&affiliateId=mlbMENU#date=4/5/2016
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

gutshot

Quote from: lefty08 on April 05, 2016, 11:19:14 pm

If you pay for the DirecTV package, you get the MLBTV subscription for free as well.  That way you have easy TV access, computer access, and/or phone and IPad access through the At Bat App with choice of broadcast crew and the radio feeds also.  It is not ideal for Ranger, Astro, or Cardinal fans around here though because of the blackouts, but it is well worth it if you are out of your favorite team's market like I am. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: gutshot on April 11, 2016, 09:22:31 am
If you pay for the DirecTV package, you get the MLBTV subscription for free as well.  That way you have easy TV access, computer access, and/or phone and IPad access through the At Bat App with choice of broadcast crew and the radio feeds also.  It is not ideal for Ranger, Astro, or Cardinal fans around here though because of the blackouts, but it is well worth it if you are out of your favorite team's market like I am.

The subscription cost for online watching dropped $20 bucks this season from what was $129 down to $109 because of some class action lawsuit or something of the kind.

So what was the subscription cost for the DirecTV package this year? I didn't realize that you got the online part included in it if you went that route. Maybe I should have gone that way because there are times that watching the games on the computer are a pain resolution wise.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

TX HOG

interesing converstion.  We do do not have cable.  we have Apple TV and rook.  I was wondering if i could watch Ranger games via the mlb app on the apple tv with a  subscription...

cubsfan5150

Just bought MLB.tv as they had a 35% discount for military which brought the price down to $71 and some change... Not bad
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

TX HOG

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on April 11, 2016, 05:51:05 pm
Just bought MLB.tv as they had a 35% discount for military which brought the price down to $71 and some change... Not bad

So you can watch all MLB games that are not blacked out?

cubsfan5150

Not sure yet... Just bought it today but according to the site, I thought I saw that we are supposed to be able to watch all games

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

cubsfan5150

Never mind, I don't think you'll be able to watch

gutshot

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 11, 2016, 04:00:54 pm
The subscription cost for online watching dropped $20 bucks this season from what was $129 down to $109 because of some class action lawsuit or something of the kind.

So what was the subscription cost for the DirecTV package this year? I didn't realize that you got the online part included in it if you went that route. Maybe I should have gone that way because there are times that watching the games on the computer are a pain resolution wise.

I don't remember the price but it's a good bit higher...and it's added to your DTV bill scattered over the summer months.  But like you said, trying to watch on a laptop or an Iphone can be a PITA at times.