Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sam Pittman

Started by pigbacon, October 22, 2017, 10:34:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigbacon

farmhawg

I think we all understand that the best coaches are not going to work for Brett. They see his petty self for what he is and want no part of it.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: farmhawg on October 22, 2017, 10:36:31 am
I think we all understand that the best coaches are not going to work for Brett. They see his petty self for what he is and want no part of it.
For what he is? Petty? Can you elaborate? I can't wait until we fire him but why the uninformed character assassination?

hawgdavis

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 22, 2017, 10:38:11 am
For what he is? Petty? Can you elaborate? I can't wait until we fire him but why the uninformed character assassination?

He won't let his coordinators do what he hired them to do. He overrules their play calling. This has been said by coaches for the reason the moved on from him. It's his way or no way and his way isn't getting it done. He does the same with players. Ask TJ, Martin , Reed, Gragg and many many others

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 22, 2017, 10:48:54 am
He won't let his coordinators do what he hired them to do. He overrules their play calling. This has been said by coaches for the reason the moved on from him. It's his way or no way and his way isn't getting it done. He does the same with players. Ask TJ, Martin , Reed, Gragg and many many others

This post is a great example of taking very small sliver of truth and weaving a post full of bull darn around it.

hawgdavis

Stubborn to a fault or in this case a complete failure.

Reminds me somewhat of June Jones he wouldn't change even when it was obvious his system obviously was failing and not going to work ever yet he kept doing the same thing even when he knew it was going to get him fired.

hawgdavis

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 22, 2017, 10:50:44 am
This post is a great example of taking very small sliver of truth and weaving a post full of bull darn around it.

Sorry you feel that way it's truly what I see. It's my opinion of what I see and you have yours.

I was a BB supporter from day 1 but that all changed st the end of last season
Then I bought back in during the off-season after hearing all the positive stuff coming from BBs practice report and how the attitude had changed bla,bla, bla
I overlooked what coordinators had said after they left cryptic as it was one can read between the lines because I wanted to believe it was jus sour grapes. It has become obvious to me that I was wrong. I don't need to fall instep with others to form my own opinions right or wrong I am my own man. I only want my Hogs to win I could give a crap less who the head man is so long as we put a winner on the field that atleast looks like they have a clue who and what they are.

Yes I put this squarely on BB's shoulders because the buck stops with him. He has the final say on who he hires what he lets them do philosophy wise, and the players that are offered scholarships and further more creates the culture of the program.

How do you think he has done to this poin and how we got where we are since you are calling me out?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 22, 2017, 11:07:17 am
Sorry you feel that way it's truly what I see. It's my opinion of what I see and you have yours.

Then I bought back in during the off-season after hearing all the positive stuff coming from BBs practice report and how the attitude had changed bla,bla, bla
I overlooked what coordinators had said after they left cryptic as it was one can read between the lines because I wanted to believe it was jus sour grapes. It has become obvious to me that I was wrong. I don't need to fall instep with others to form my own opinions right or wrong I am my own man. I only want my Hogs to win I could give a crap less who the head man is so long as we put a winner on the field that atleast looks like they have a clue who and what they are.

Yes I put this squarely on BB's shoulders because the buck stops with him. He has the final say on who he hires what he lets them do philosophy wise, and the players that are offered scholarships and further more creates the culture of the program.

How do you think he has done to this poin and how we got where we are since you are calling me out?

You said it yourself, it's your opinion.

It may be true, but I have seen exactly ZERO evidence from past asst coaches complaining about CBB and him being the reason they left.

I'd love to read some if you have links.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Redhogs

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 22, 2017, 11:11:49 am

It may be true, but I have seen exactly ZERO evidence from past asst coaches complaining about CBB and him being the reason they left.

What difference does it make?  Whatever he is doing is a failure.. 
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawgdavis

It may be true, but I have seen exactly ZERO evidence from past asst coaches complaining about CBB and him being the reason

Why do you think BB has never been able to keep top quality coordinators. When he came here part of the reasons he gave is because he can't keep his coaching for one reason or another. How many have left from here that we're paid really well and as good as where they went to. Cheaney made some comments about being able to run his system. No he didn't point fingers but then again he didn't have to, if Pittman was truly happy he would not have quit a year before he actually left and would not have left how he did. Just be honest with your self about the revolving door that BB is with assistants as to why that really is. I could understand if they were leaving for a better position but most have left to do what they were doing here.  It's not hard to see if you just look and listen.

I'm am on your side I was born a Hog and will be till I get put to rest, I want what you want and BB ain't going to get it Done.

You still didn't answe my question from the previous post

Con el Cerdos

Pork, one doesn't have to be very clever to read between the lines of the I, I, I, I, rhetoric that Bret delivered the first three years he was at Arkansas.  IMO, everything he did and said about any success the Hawgs accomplished was all about him.  But, I wouldn't label it petty; seems to be very major fails.  Just saying. . .

BTW, haven't heard much of it the last two years.  Now it's throwing players, assistant coaches (insert - former DC, former OL coach) and anything he can think of to deflect blame for on field team failures.  Losses in other words.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 22, 2017, 11:30:07 am
Why do you think BB has never been able to keep top quality coordinators. When he came here part of the reasons he gave is because he can't keep his coaching for one reason or another. How many have left from here that we're paid really well and as good as where they went to. Cheaney made some comments about being able to run his system. No he didn't point fingers but then again he didn't have to, if Pittman was truly happy he would not have quit a year before he actually left and would not have left how he did. Just be honest with your self about the revolving door that BB is with assistants as to why that really is. I could understand if they were leaving for a better position but most have left to do what they were doing here.  It's not hard to see if you just look and listen.

I'm am on your side I was born a Hog and will be till I get put to rest, I want what you want and BB ain't going to get it Done.

What I think or you think (which are probably the same, btw) has little bearing on facts; they are nothing but opinions.

For all we know they all left for similar positions because they were gonna get paid more money.  Again, I've not heard definitively why they left.

We can assume by watching how coaches' styles change to look like the coaches they replaced, but it's all speculation at this point, which is all I'm saying.

I'd love to read from some ex-assistants that say actually why they left, but we won't.  Coaches that speak ill of their previous bosses don't have long careers.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Redhogs on October 22, 2017, 11:17:37 am
What difference does it make?  Whatever he is doing is a failure.. 

CBB could very well have bookend 0-8 seasons on his tenure at UA.  Failure isn't a strong enough word!!

Sundog

Just because (I guess) you'd go around bad-mouthing the head coach; doesn't mean everyone does. 

presidenthog

This post is by a bielemer who will post anything to help cover his buddies fatass.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Sundog on October 22, 2017, 11:43:00 am
Just because (I guess) you'd go around bad-mouthing the head coach; doesn't mean everyone does. 

Huh?

TrueBlue

Don't know about the observation of the Farmhawg, but there has to be something.

It definitely isn't a money thing like CBB said about Wisconsin not being able to retain assistants.

You have to ask yourself when evaluating Wisconsin and Arkansas, what is the common denominator? That would be CBB. 

Sundog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 22, 2017, 11:45:20 am
Huh?

You're saying because you haven't heard ex asst. coaches complain about CBB then therefore CBB isn't the reason they left the program. 

I'm saying just because an ex asst. coach refrains from bitching does NOT mean he was a-ok working for Bert.  Maybe you are the bitching, butthurt, complain about your ex-boss kind of guy; but not everyone is. 

wachhog

Well, there must be a reason that his last two hires were barely more than interns. Word's gotten around.

pigbacon

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 22, 2017, 11:40:02 am
What I think or you think (which are probably the same, btw) has little bearing on facts; they are nothing but opinions.

For all we know they all left for similar positions because they were gonna get paid more money.  Again, I've not heard definitively why they left.

We can assume by watching how coaches' styles change to look like the coaches they replaced, but it's all speculation at this point, which is all I'm saying.

I'd love to read from some ex-assistants that say actually why they left, but we won't.  Coaches that speak ill of their previous bosses don't have long careers.

Maybe not speaking ill of a previous boss...but what about totally contradicting what his former boss was portraying to the media?

http://gridironnow.com/sam-pittmans-departure-from-arkansas-ruffles-some-feathers/

hog.goblin

Pittman left because he saw that Bielema couldn't recruit quality OL to Arkansas and CBB failed to recognize/acknowledge it.  It was a positive career move for Pittman to get out while he looked good.

He also didn't like what was said about Chaney after he left.

He has very little respect for CBB as a coach or as a person.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: wachhog on October 22, 2017, 11:52:43 am
Well, there must be a reason that his last two hires were barely more than interns. Word's gotten around.

I posted this the other day but still feels relevant:
-Partridge left for a HC gig
-Ash left for a nat champ contender and eventual winner
-Pittman left cause he knew GA was a better gig
-Enos would have done the same thing had CBB not had that SEC clause
-Chaney was probably run off, he didnt go to GA from AR but from Pitt so prob not a fair comparison
-Robb Smith was probably a good hire and had a good defense initally but the mob required a fall guy when they fell off
-Ive never heard someone speak a negative word about PR, player or coach

I think other than HV, the opinion on Ark being a top gig is a false narrative.  So if we have any success, expect those higher in the food chain to come after our coaches (just like we will do if CBB is not retained).

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 22, 2017, 12:09:38 pm
Pittman left because he saw that Bielema couldn't recruit quality OL to Arkansas and CBB failed to recognize/acknowledge it.  It was a positive career move for Pittman to get out while he looked good.

Can you validate that?  I read somewhere that he and CBB were practically best friends.  For that reason CBB didnt have the sec clause cause Pittman assured him he was there for the long haul.  So that angle works both ways.  Cant fault a guy for moving to a better job but ad we know there is probably a right and wrong way to go about it (ask CBP)

hog.goblin

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 22, 2017, 12:19:05 pm
Can you validate that?  I read somewhere that he and CBB were practically best friends.  For that reason CBB didnt have the sec clause cause Pittman assured him he was there for the long haul.  So that angle works both ways.  Cant fault a guy for moving to a better job but ad we know there is probably a right and wrong way to go about it (ask CBP)

Regarding the OL, that had nothing to do with friendship. 

Regarding friendship, they were agreeable co-workers more than friends, but that changed during that last year when he kept throwing Chaney (an actual friend) under the bus.  First privately then publicly.  He was bitter when he left.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Sundog on October 22, 2017, 11:50:52 am
You're saying because you haven't heard ex asst. coaches complain about CBB then therefore CBB isn't the reason they left the program. 

I'm saying just because an ex asst. coach refrains from bitching does NOT mean he was a-ok working for Bert.  Maybe you are the bitching, butthurt, complain about your ex-boss kind of guy; but not everyone is. 

Are you reading my posts?  I said that they weren't talking and they won't talk.  Talking ill of your ex-bosses is not conducive to a long career.

What I did say was that anything we think about their leaving is just that:  what we think.  It's an opinion.

We can have educated opinions--and they may be right--but they are just opinions.

rude1

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 22, 2017, 11:30:07 am

Bret is obviously a guy who has trouble looking in the mirror, while at Wi. he blamed Alvarez for his inability to keep his assistants and staff in tact because Alvarez wouldn't pay enough. He get's here and he has just as much if not more turnover on his staff yearly with an AD who has worked with him and willing to give him what he needs to keep a staff. Now at what point does people start to realize maybe it was never the pay the reason coaches didn't want to work for him....................................

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 22, 2017, 12:09:38 pm

This is all hearsay...it may be true, but we can only guess that it's true.  He may have left for money.

Hogs-n-Roses

We didn't lose him . He's huge. Now when told we were changing from what he'd been recruiting too he and his superiors clashed and he took another job. Well it actually started when his buddy cheney had not received a raise and chose to look elsewhere. Least that's what I heard.

Athog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 22, 2017, 10:38:11 am

I agree. His performance is one thing but this is classless. It makes the person who wrote look small and uneducated. Judge him on his performance but hold the character slander.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 22, 2017, 12:32:20 pm
This is all hearsay...it may be true, but we can only guess that it's true.  He may have left for money.

I believe him, but he also got a $125,000 raise to go to Georgia which can't be ignored.

hawgdavis

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 22, 2017, 11:40:02 am

Cheaney did but not overtly. He's not that dumb.
Alverez his former boss pointed these things out also but didn't out right say it.
Got to read between the lines . These guy won't come right out and say things like BB is the problem they are better than that but will say I was unable to do it the way I wanted to , things don't always work out the way we would like.......

Of course I thought Alverez was pretty close to outright saying BB is hard headed that you have to be willing to adjust to the region and style of play , I thought he was pretty straightforward with his commitment at the touchdown club. I was actually kinda shocked but he was correct.

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 22, 2017, 12:41:13 pm
I believe him, but he also got a $125,000 raise to go to Georgia which can't be ignored.

So Bielema was responsible for getting the OL recruits, I thought it was the position coach that got the guys for the most part?

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on October 22, 2017, 12:44:16 pm
So Bielema was responsible for getting the OL recruits, I thought it was the position coach that got the guys for the most part?

Pittman knew we weren't getting good enough recruits.  Whether he blamed himself (didn't get that impression), CBB, or the Arkansas program, his main gripe was that CBB didn't recognize it or believe anything needed to be done differently.

hawgdavis

PR and  Ex-trumpet

Y'all still haven't answered my question

Who does the buck stop with for the hires and player evaluation?

hawgdavis

Quote from: ricepig on October 22, 2017, 12:44:16 pm

He has the final say period he's the boss.

thebignasty

Losing him was a pretty clear turning point for the offense.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 22, 2017, 12:22:12 pm
Regarding the OL, that had nothing to do with friendship. 

Regarding friendship, they were agreeable co-workers more than friends, but that changed during that last year when he kept throwing Chaney (an actual friend) under the bus.  First privately then publicly.  He was bitter when he left.
I can agree that he moved on for a better gig and CBB was upset, but the rest just sounds like your opinion.  Not trying to be a jerk but im only interested in the facts.  I would like to understand because the media always talks about how well respected he is so I want to understand where you learned this.  Heres one of the articles I read where CBB is quoted talking about their friendship.  http://gridironnow.com/arkansas-bret-bielema-wishes-kept-ol-coach-sam-pittman/

hawgdavis

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 22, 2017, 12:41:13 pm

If I remember we did offer him more money to stay and he still said no thanks.
I  could be wrong about that.
If he was happy here he would have gotten a bump and stayed on. 125 gs is not that big of a gap

hawgon

Danimal

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 22, 2017, 12:19:05 pm
Any assistant who "doesn't need a contract" is looking to get out ASAP -- to think otherwise is the equivalent of being born yesterday.

hog.goblin

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 22, 2017, 12:51:08 pm
I can agree that he moved on for a better gig and CBB was upset, but the rest just sounds like your opinion.  Not trying to be a jerk but im only interested in the facts.  I would like to understand because the media always talks about how well respected he is so I want to understand where you learned this.  Heres one of the articles I read where CBB is quoted talking about their friendship.  http://gridironnow.com/arkansas-bret-bielema-wishes-kept-ol-coach-sam-pittman/

Nothing jerky about it, but I believed him.  He was visibly bitter.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 22, 2017, 12:49:34 pm
He has the final say period he's the boss.
He decided the numbers, but Pittman decided on who to target and go after.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 22, 2017, 11:07:17 am

My major point of contention was your mention of guys like TJ and Martin, who have both been fighting injuries. Then a guy like Reed Who was simply dropping way too many passes and really inconsistent. Your kernel of truth was mentioning coordinators leaving. Canada did evidently have issues with CBB. But as far as I know no coach has publicly stated they left for that reason, which was your claim.

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 22, 2017, 12:48:02 pm
Pittman knew we weren't getting good enough recruits.  Whether he blamed himself (didn't get that impression), CBB, or the Arkansas program, his main gripe was that CBB didn't recognize it or believe anything needed to be done differently.

Well of course he didn't blame himself, Pittman recruited the guys that can't get off the bench, so I don't think he's blameless.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on October 22, 2017, 01:04:06 pm
Well of course he didn't blame himself, Pittman recruited the guys that can't get off the bench, so I don't think he's blameless.

As far as the guys on the bench it's pretty clear that we decided to do something different than what we recruited them to do. Wallace and Merrick signed on to be road graders. We don't road grade any more unfortunately.

hog.goblin

Agree, my point is he saw it was going to be bad, there was nothing he could about it, so he got out of dodge.  The pay raise and opportunity at Georgia were the way out.

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 22, 2017, 01:22:10 pm
Agree, my point is he saw it was going to be bad, there was nothing he could about it, so he got out of dodge.  The pay raise and opportunity at Georgia were the way out.

Well, I think he has as much responsibility on that as the HC. Now, he may have gotten his panties too far in a wad over Chaney and Enos changing up the smash mouth, but he isn't running that at Georgia.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 22, 2017, 01:06:37 pm
As far as the guys on the bench it's pretty clear that we decided to do something different than what we recruited them to do. Wallace and Merrick signed on to be road graders. We don't road grade any more unfortunately.

Interesting perspective from Sprinkle:

But Sprinkle was happy that Georgia didn't lure away offensive coordinator Dan Enos, who replaced Chaney in 2015. Enos kept most of the run-game concepts, but he added more to the passing game, according to Sprinkle.

Arkansas tight end Jeremy Sprinkle at SEC media days. (SETH EMERSON/AJC)
"That really helped us, and really improved our passing game," Sprinkle said.

Arkansas improved to the nation's 32nd-ranked passing offense last year, after ranking 102nd under Chaney
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/an-arkansas-players-view-of-chaney-and-pittman

PorkRinds

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 22, 2017, 01:28:30 pm
Interesting perspective from Sprinkle:

But Sprinkle was happy that Georgia didn't lure away offensive coordinator Dan Enos, who replaced Chaney in 2015. Enos kept most of the run-game concepts, but he added more to the passing game, according to Sprinkle.

"That really helped us, and really improved our passing game," Sprinkle said.

Arkansas improved to the nation's 32nd-ranked passing offense last year, after ranking 102nd under Chaney
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/an-arkansas-players-view-of-chaney-and-pittman

Yep. Seems to me that Enos was brought in with the purpose of converting us to a more pass happy team. The OL we had didn't fit the bill. Not at all in fact. It's been an abject failure.

hoglady

Who knows how those guys would have developed if Pittman was coaching them. Doubt they would have been jumped over by Clary. Heck - Gibson (one of our most dependable linemen) had to go into Bielema's office and beg and plead for the opportunity to play.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality