Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weight gaining tips?

Started by FullTiltBoogie416, January 17, 2019, 03:25:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FullTiltBoogie416

Howdy everyone.  I just recently got back into the routine of hitting the gym, and I'm looking to get back into good shape and put on some muscle weight (especially with rec league softball season approaching, gotta get the power up!). 

Any advice on things such as how many days rest are needed between workouts, number of reps/sets I should be doing, etc.?  I know diet is important too so I'm trying to eat healthier, drink more water, all that good stuff.  Obviously any other advice/input is welcome.

Thanks in advance and as always, woo pig!

JoeyGym65

Look into the 5X5 strong lifts.

Boardon Hamsay

If you're looking to bulk up, get some form of whey, soy, or hybrid protein shake mix. Your body can only manage up to 40 grams of protein at a time properly but get on a regimen of how many 40ish gram per serving shakes per day will equal your weight in lbs. so, if you're 200lbs, drink 5 40g shakes a day plus a healthy diet and lifting for size. That will put on the muscle weight.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Dr. Starcs

Some or too many of those shakes put on more fat than muscle though right?

Is there a certain brand you recommend for muscle gain without the fat?

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 19, 2019, 09:12:04 pm

Good call. There are tons of shakes that have a ton of fat and sugar to go with the protein. It's can be hard to bulk up without putting on a little fat because you are taking in more. You have to be disciplined on diet and workouts.

I like muscle milk myself as it has no sugar and 4g of fat or foundation fitness as it's no sugar and 5g fat.  Now, I'm 6' and around 162 lbs (was 210lbs a couple years ago before I trimmed up). So, I have a shake in the am and post workout only.

If I were trying to bulk up, I'd at least need to double up on the shakes and revisit other protein sources. Also, to bulk up with less fat, try to steer away from beef and go to chicken, turkey, or salmon. Lastly, to keep bulking up stage fat in check, work in cardio day during the week.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

bennyl08

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 19, 2019, 09:12:04 pm

Piggy backing of of BH, what you need is about 1g protein for pound of lean body mass. So, for starters, let's say you weigh 200 but have 25% body fat. Then, your lean body mass is only 150 pounds, so you'd want to get 150g of protein over the course of the day. However, unless you literally eat zero protein in your regular meals, it doesn't have to all come from shakes. Two eggs for breakfast, one chicken breast at dinner, and a protein shake after working out and you basically already around 100g and would then only need 50 more from lunch, snacks, side dishes during breakfast/dinner, etc...

The other component is when you consume. You really want to get at least 25, up to 40g within 20 minutes of finishing your workout. Apart from that, two really simple things you can do to maximize fat burning is to try and balance the following. First, try to keep your eating limited to an 8 hour window. Study after study after study has shown that doing that greatly increases metabolism. Similarly, it's also good to eat little and often. Which kind of goes against the first thing, but you can combine them.

If you are wanting to bulk up, the easiest thing to do is to just go for a calorie surplus and you will end up adding some fat as well as muscle. However, you are likely then going to want to do some cutting after. It is much faster, though requires a lot more discipline to both burn fat and build muscle. It is very much possible, but also more difficult.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pulled(PP)pork

beer, the higher the ABV, the quicker

HF#1

It isn't the greatest way of putting on weight but drink skim milk. You won't gain muscle but you'll gain never the less.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

twistitup

Get your T level checked....low T makes it tough to build muscle.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: twistitup on April 24, 2019, 05:47:26 am
Get your T level checked
truth!

mine stays about 140, no chance in hades Im ever gaining muscle

HF#1

Quote from: twistitup on April 24, 2019, 05:47:26 am
Get your T level checked....low T makes it tough to build muscle.

Or eat more meat and cut out carbs. Metabolic syndrome also hinders muscle growth.

killahcam

May 21, 2019, 12:48:06 pm #12 Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:16:46 pm by killahcam
it depends on what exactly you are trying to do. since your thread title says gaining weight rather than gaining muscle, or gaining weight while staying lean, i am going to take it as you are trying to just put on some weight including muscle, but weight nonetheless. obviously the way to gain weight is to take in more calories than you are burning and more than your maintenance amount. protein shakes will help add protein to your diet but are relatively slim with calories whereas mass gainers like quickmass can provide you with an additional 500-1200 calories in a shake which will definitely be beneficial if you are trying to gain weight https://www.samedaysupplements.com/quickmass-loaded-by-allmax-nutrition.html

diehardrbackfan

Quote from: HF#1 on April 24, 2019, 05:13:35 amIt isn't the greatest way of putting on weight but drink skim milk. You won't gain muscle but you'll gain never the less.

Why would you drink skim instead of whole? If you're underweight maybe drink milk, but if you drink too much milk it gives you the sloppy stomach look.

diehardrbackfan

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 19, 2019, 05:22:51 pmIf you're looking to bulk up, get some form of whey, soy, or hybrid protein shake mix. Your body can only manage up to 40 grams of protein at a time properly but get on a regimen of how many 40ish gram per serving shakes per day will equal your weight in lbs. so, if you're 200lbs, drink 5 40g shakes a day plus a healthy diet and lifting for size. That will put on the muscle weight.

Just eat a large quantity of home-cooked type food. I don't recommend this.

YellCountyHog21

All about Energy consumed vs Energy expended. Get into a caloric surplus. Aim for 1/2lb weight gain per week (about the maximum the body can put on without it all being fat). Get lots of protein (at least 1g per pound of body weight).

https://tdeecalculator.net/