Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Coaching Transition according to the players....

Started by twistitup, March 07, 2018, 11:23:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kong

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 08, 2018, 01:36:28 pm
Houston Nutt.

Nope, the players still said they were excited about the new coaches and scheme

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 04:05:42 pm
No Ben's Apartment

Just Football & W's....the fun is winning.

God I hope so. The last 5 years have just been painful. Even the winning seasons.
This is my non-signature signature.

goodguytex

Quote from: twistitup on March 08, 2018, 12:28:10 pm
Then you have that portion of the fanbase that TRULY believes CCM is loaded w good talent....because CBB was an unbelievable recruiter that just couldn't seem to develop the talent on the roster.

I agree with you, CCM is shooting us straight and trying to be realistic - but many are very impatient, negative, and pessimistic for some reason. I'm assuming they didn't get their way in the coaching hire (or didn't think CBB should have been let go)- they won't be giving Morris any breaks - it will negativity from this point forward with those 'fans'.

I have a feeling this will be an outstanding hire- time will tell

#5yearplan
I'm still trying to figure Coach Morris out. He might wind up being the guy who gets us a NC and builds a dynasty of winning at Arkansas, or he could be a big bust.

I think after so many fans got their expectations high under Coach Bielema... He bring in this coaching staff right off that had these impressive resumes, pretty much an all-star cast. Then 1 after the other left, or got sent packing. Replaced by someone generally not as good.

And I think many just don't want to get their hopes up again. Morris win/loss record as a College HC has tempered expectations too. It's just not that good. And that's not necessarily his fault. He was in the middle of a rebuild at SMU, in his first College HC job. He may be like petrino in style of offense, product we put on the field and innovation. I just don't know yet. I'm pretty much in the same boat many fans are.

I'm very thankful we didn't hire malzahn. But I'm not setting my expectations that high yet. Not in year 1 especially. I'm just going to support the program, be the best fan I can be, and see what happens.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: King Kong on March 08, 2018, 05:29:19 pm
Nope, the players still said they were excited about the new coaches and scheme

Some were still huge Nutt supporters...still are.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

King Kong

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 08, 2018, 06:00:25 pm
Some were still huge Nutt supporters...still are.

Never said that they weren't.

Only saying that every player any roster right after a coaching change talks about how the love the new coaches and scheme.

That is not a mutually exclusive conversation as liking the previous staff

Al Boarland

Quote from: King Kong on March 08, 2018, 06:36:52 pm
Never said that they weren't.

Only saying that every player any roster right after a coaching change talks about how the love the new coaches and scheme.

That is not a mutually exclusive conversation as liking the previous staff

Nailed it. There are certain universal truths with every coaching cycle.

oldgoat

Just as I condemned Coach Bielema for his actions 4 years ago, I fully endorse Coach Chad Morris now.  His associates and players speak for his integrity and ability, whereas CB had no one but his family and hometown folks in Iowa doing so.
CCM has the enthusiasm that Coach Nutt brought to the program, with the brains of CBP.  This is EXACTLY what Arkansas needs, and anyone who says different hasn't been paying attention the last 25 years.
  We won't beat Alabama the next 2 years, but after that any team on our schedule had better get ready when they face us.
Hoglady: "Some things in life are only a big deal when you make them a big deal."

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: goodguytex on March 08, 2018, 05:35:52 pm
I'm still trying to figure Coach Morris out. He might wind up being the guy who gets us a NC and builds a dynasty of winning at Arkansas, or he could be a big bust.

I think after so many fans got their expectations high under Coach Bielema... He bring in this coaching staff right off that had these impressive resumes, pretty much an all-star cast. Then 1 after the other left, or got sent packing. Replaced by someone generally not as good.

And I think many just don't want to get their hopes up again. Morris win/loss record as a College HC has tempered expectations too. It's just not that good. And that's not necessarily his fault. He was in the middle of a rebuild at SMU, in his first College HC job. He may be like petrino in style of offense, product we put on the field and innovation. I just don't know yet. I'm pretty much in the same boat many fans are.

I'm very thankful we didn't hire malzahn. But I'm not setting my expectations that high yet. Not in year 1 especially. I'm just going to support the program, be the best fan I can be, and see what happens.

Best post Ive read on MMQB in some time. Its refreshing to see a logical, well-constructed post. Considering we have no idea how this will go, the blind homerism some have shown around this CCM hire has made this place almost insufferable

HogFoo

Im sure most players are happy about the change, and the ones  still unsure are probably giving him a chance until  summer  depth charts come out. Im sure OLine is especially happy since Anderson is gone. Reasons why, ive said before.  Im sure most are happier with the energetic upbeat attitude as well instead of the laid back flip flop bob Marley crap. That to me was too unprofessional. Im sure most are also happy that they wont have to hear about any twitter wars their coach got into or anything he said that may be bulletin board material.  To me it would be night and day better as one appears to know what they are doing, and the other looking disheveled wearing flip flops and smelling of jack.    For those that say its like a less dbag version of petrino.  You are correct.  Same offensive type mind, same drive to win, better ability to recruit, nicer way of getring the point across and less blonde volleyball players.  I think most fans will be on board once the winning comes.  I believe that starts this season.  I would hope most of the players get on board with this current staff as i believe they know what they are doing and will get the job done.  But, if some still find themselves unable to go along then i hope they transfer out to another school more suitable to their taste.  It will leave more scholarships open for Morris and staff to be able to get players who do want to buy in.  And , i do believe the players Morris gets will be more talented than most any bielema ever brought in or any in previous staffs.

We'll find out quick tho which players are buying in and which arent.  Like i said, hopefully they all do.  If so, goodtimes are coming!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

hawgon

I read the following little bit on another board and given our fourth quarters over the last few years, I see no reason to doubt that it is true:

QuoteI have zero inside information (normally), but was told this story recently by a friend-of-a-friend I randomly hung out with (and would absolutely know):

On the first day of winter conditioning, several players stepped out for a break during conditioning drills. After being asked "WTH are you doing," the players explained they were catching their breath and would jump back in when they were ready. Apparently this was standard practice under Bert. They got tired, they took a break. No questions asked.

The next day, Morris uses one of his eval days and the first time a couple players stepped out for a breather, he indicated in no uncertain terms that these drills were optional in name only and scholarships were on the line.

Everyone stepped back in and completed the conditioning.

hogcards

Quote from: King Kong on March 07, 2018, 04:22:55 pm
Said every player after a coaching change ever

+1000

I'm happy the sloth is out of here, but talk to me at the end of 2018.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Hog Fan from Camden

hawgon

I just get the feeling that he is every bit as hard nosed as Petrino was and lots less of a player's coach than we are lead to believe. 

twistitup

March 12, 2018, 04:21:55 pm #63 Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:33:59 pm by twistitup
Quote from: hawgon on March 12, 2018, 04:03:17 pm
I just get the feeling that he is every bit as hard nosed as Petrino was and lots less of a player's coach than we are lead to believe. 

I think he will be like a good parent....loving and caring - yes... but tough as hell all at the same time

CBB was like a crazy, drunk brother in law
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgon

Quote from: twistitup on March 12, 2018, 04:21:55 pm
I think he will be like a good parent....loving and caring - yes... but tough as hell all at the same time

CBB was like a crazy drunk brother in law

More like Cousin Eddy.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on March 12, 2018, 01:31:27 am
Best post Ive read on MMQB in some time. Its refreshing to see a logical, well-constructed post. Considering we have no idea how this will go, the blind homerism some have shown around this CCM hire has made this place almost insufferable
As have the "gloom and doomers". They've been equally nauseating. In your own words "We have no idea how this will go". My position all along is "we'll just have to wait and see".

oldhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 12, 2018, 04:43:04 pm
. My position all along is "we'll just have to wait and see".

And as that is definitely the case, might as well wait optimistically.  :)