Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Basketball GSD"

Started by Johnny Bobo, December 16, 2017, 11:43:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Bobo

Verizon is great

Should also play one in Hot Springs every other year or so.

Should also seriously consider a game or two each year in a central or east or south high school venue. The "Jim Harbaugh" strategy. Can you all imagine the love for a Bucknell or Samford game at El Dorado High or West Memphis High or even smallish Greenbrier High? Eddie Sutton used to do his Red-White Games that way

Johnny Bobo

the logistics are a huge % smaller for basketball than for football

no brainer

labb

Use to play one in Pine Bluff...Had a big win there once.

Mr. Porkleone

December 16, 2017, 01:05:21 pm #3 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:51:27 pm by Mr. Porkleone
Quote from: Johnny Bobo on December 16, 2017, 11:43:17 am
Verizon is great

Should also seriously consider a game or two each year in a central or east or south high school venue. The "Jim Harbaugh" strategy. Can you all imagine the love for a Bucknell or Samford game at El Dorado High or West Memphis High or even smallish Greenbrier High? Eddie Sutton used to do his Red-White Games that

hoglady

The players seem excited to play in Little Rock - I don't think it hurts anything to play a few games across the state. I would love to see them play a game in Pine Bluff Convention Center. As long as I can read the score, time outs remaining and fouls for each player and team on the scoreboard - that's all I need.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

popcornhog

Quote from: Johnny Bobo on December 16, 2017, 11:43:17 am
Verizon is great

Should also seriously consider a game or two each year in a central or east or south high school venue. The "Jim Harbaugh" strategy. Can you all imagine the love for a Bucknell or Samford game at El Dorado High or West Memphis High or even smallish Greenbrier High? Eddie Sutton used to do his Red-White Games that way

Apples and oranges.

Neutral site games in hoops are awesome for exposure. In football it's not worth it with a significantly shorter season, not to mention the logistics of football travel.
WPS

Hogsfan1981

I'm pretty sure ESPN/SEC network and other teams would hate it/not allow it.

I would hate if one of our away games was not on television because the opponent wanted to play at a high school.

Think we are past that era. Bad enough one game is not televised in 2017.

farfromgroovins

Quote from: labb on December 16, 2017, 12:59:44 pm

Balentine from the baseline!!!
Can't believe Hogs played NC in PB. Different day and ages I guess.

labb

December 16, 2017, 04:17:41 pm #8 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:34:08 pm by labb
Speaking of playing(football) games at High Schools, I have been told that the smaller schools (Henderson, Ouachita, Hardin etc.) are going to start doing that. Anyone else heard this?

chiti66

Quote from: labb on December 16, 2017, 12:59:44 pm
^^^^^^^^^^THIS!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hoglady on December 16, 2017, 02:26:38 pm

The players seem excited to play in Little Rock - I don't think it hurts anything to play a few games across the state. I would love to see them play a game in Pine Bluff Convention Center. As long as I can read the score, time outs remaining and fouls for each player and team on the scoreboard - that's all I need.
tell Bielema and the football team that then when they say it feels like a road game.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hoglady

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 16, 2017, 09:04:29 pm
tell Bielema and the football team that then when they say it feels like a road game.

This isn't Bielema and the football team - this is about the basketball team.
And they did seem excited to play in Little Rock,
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

1highhog

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 16, 2017, 03:14:33 pm
I'm pretty sure ESPN/SEC network and other teams would hate it/not allow it.

I would hate if one of our away games was not on television because the opponent wanted to play at a high school.

Think we are past that era. Bad enough one game is not televised in 2017.

I would love to see us go back to playing a game a year in Pine Pluff Convention center.  We used to play there all the time at its actually one of the best arenas built especially for basketball.   The size, the close right on top seating arrangement makes it wonderful for games.  Some of the loudest games, besides Barnhill, I've ever been to were in Pine Bluff Convention center.     

As far as the subject of the TV thing that some are struggling with, well, I'm just the opposite  on that.  I wish there wasn't as many games on TV because that's why people don't go to the games anymore.  I live 38 miles from Little Rock but if the game were on tv I still would have went to the game, to much excitement that you just don't get watching it from your recliner at home.

CDBHawg

5 games each year in LR. It'd be a good thing to do.

1highhog

Quote from: CDBHawg on December 16, 2017, 10:09:57 pm
5 games each year in LR. It'd be a good thing to do.

I don't know for sure if I'd go that far, but a couple for now and maybe one in Pine Bluff would really be great to basically reintroduce the Razorbacks as THE TEAM to want to play for in all these young kids coming up.  Some of these players that left the State weren't even born when Hog Ball was dominant nationally.

tkhog

Quote from: labb on December 16, 2017, 04:17:41 pm
Speaking of playing(football) games at High Schools, I have been told that the smaller schools (Henderson, Ouachita, Hardin etc.) are going to start doing that. Anyone else heard this?
I believe most of the GAC schools played a game in El Dorado this year.

WorfHog

They should play other college teams in a high school venue? Are you nuts? Please put down the bottle. The University of Arkansas Razorbacks have no business playing another collegiate opponent in a high school gym. One game a year at Verizon is great (and plenty now that every game, except that one, is televised), but we need to be playing higher profile opponents at Bud Walton Arena and neutral sites. Not Samford at West Memphis high.   :puke:

CDBHawg

Quote from: 1highhog on December 16, 2017, 10:14:42 pm
I don't know for sure if I'd go that far, but a couple for now and maybe one in Pine Bluff would really be great to basically reintroduce the Razorbacks as THE TEAM to want to play for in all these young kids coming up.  Some of these players that left the State weren't even born when Hog Ball was dominant nationally.

I'd settle for 3... ;)

ShadowHawg

The reason North Carolina was at PB is that we had signed a deal with ACC at the time to play a few of their teams over the course of a few seasons. I think we played Wake the year before in North Carolina.

Dean Smith would absolutely not play a non conference game on the road at a team's on campus gym. It wasn't an act of good will that game was played in Pine Bluff. It was because Dean Smith was a coward and refused to play in Fayetteville.

hawginbigd1

What no bring back Barton Colliseum? Forget the darned off-campus games unless we can figure out how to get them on ESPN3 or something.