Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Grier to transfer

Started by ricepig, December 19, 2015, 11:51:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 13m13 minutes ago

Report: Former Florida QB Will Grier transferring to West Virginia http://sec.news/22cSfnM

QuoteMultiple sources told ESPN's Travis Haney that Grier will transfer to West Virginia and will sit out the 2016 season, per NCAA transfer rules.

There's also another caveat that complicates Grier's eligibility. The quarterback still has time to serve on his calendar year suspension handed down by the NCAA for usage of performance-enhancing drugs, which will expire on Oct. 15. According to Haney, Grier will work toward being eligible at the start of the 2017 season as a redshirt junior, but that will require an appeal to the NCAA to shorten his suspension..
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 19m19 minutes ago

David Morrison Retweeted Travis Haney

He'll find a way to be eligible by the opener against Missouri.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

WVU Football ‏@WVUfootball Apr 6

Football Adds Quarterback Will Grier

http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?story=30006&cat=exclusives ...

Have you purchased 2016 season tickets yet? #HailWV

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 45m45 minutes ago

Will Grier's father says guaranteed starting role was never requested http://sec.news/23iZyQF

QuoteWill Grier's father fired back at rumors that the quarterback decided to transfer to West Virginia after the Florida coaching staff refused to guarantee that Grier would have a starting job following his suspension.

Chad Grier, a high school coach at Davidson Day (N.C.), said his son's decision to transfer from Florida instead came because the quarterback felt unwanted by the program.

"I tell kids all the time there's no guarantees in life," Chad Grier told Justin Parker of Saturday Down South. "I tell them to win the tiebreakers, put yourself in position to earn it. The last thing in the world I expected was for him to be given anything..."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/CregStephenson/status/732240427542315008

QuoteFormer Florida quarterback Will Grier has officially enrolled at West Virginia after announcing last month he was transferring to the school, according to the Charleston Gazette-Mail.

Grier left Florida in December after two years with the Gators. He had Florida off to a 6-0 start as a redshirt freshman in 2015, but was suspended for a year in October after violating the NCAA's performance-enhancing drugs policy.

Grier will sit out the 2016 season as a transfer, then have two years of eligibility remaining with the Mountaineers beginning in 2017. His suspension would still stand through the first six games of that season, though West Virginia might appeal the decision.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 2h2 hours ago

Florida OL David Sharpe on former QB Will Grier: 'It was very disappointing' http://sec.news/29wsrOX

QuoteGrier, who was suspended by the NCAA last year after testing positive for performance enhancing drugs, helped lead the Gators to a 6-0 start to the season. But the Gators struggled after Grier's suspension, and lost their last three games of the season.

One of Grier's former teammates, offensive tackle David Sharpe, spoke about how the team reacted to Grier's suspension.

"Will, he was our dude, man. We were very disappointed," Sharpe told reporters in Hoover, Ala. "We didn't expect that at all, so it was very disappointing. Everybody was down about it for a little while. So I feel like that second part of the season, it had an effect."

Grier would've had to sit out the first seven games of the 2016 season but instead chose to transfer to West Virginia.  Sharpe and his teammates weren't as surprised to see that.

"We expected it. Coach Mac didn't want to deal with that type of thing," Sharpe said. "He had to make a decision with him, and Will had to make his decision, too. Everybody loved him, but everything doesn't go as planned."

Sharpe was also asked if he felt Grier let the team down by getting suspended.

"In a way. He let us down little bit, but it is what it is, man," Sharpe said.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/853982274685202433

QuoteFormer Florida Gators quarterback Will Grier's performance in the West Virginia spring game reminded me of a book I know called Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me).

Grier earned a 1-year suspension halfway through for failing a performance-enhancing drug test.

Grier and his father met with McElwain to discuss the future:

"I said, the exact quote, 'I just want to know what your plans are for the future. Are you going to bring in more guys? Am I a guy you don't see playing here in the future,'" Grier said, according to the story.

"He (McElwain) said, 'You're welcome here in the future, you're a Gator, but I'm not telling you my plans. I'm not giving you any guarantees.'"

After some drama, Grier transferred to West Virginia.

Lost in the juicy details of that meeting with the Griers: McElwain was [two hours] late because he was recruiting QB Feleipe Franks. At the time, Franks was committed to LSU. It's hard to believe Franks would've come to Florida had Grier returned midway through the 2016 season as a redshirt sophomore.

McElwain wasn't being forced to choose between Del Rio and Grier. He chose between Grier and Franks, knowing that if Grier failed (or failed another test) he'd be left with Del Rio and Kyle Trask.

McElwain also faced the prospect of a divided locker room if Grier returned...

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

West Virginia QB Will Grier to return for senior season, face Tennessee in first game

QuoteGrier landed at West Virginia after being suspended for one year for performance-enhancing drug use at Florida. Grier's first game of his senior season with the Mountaineers will be in Charlotte, N.C. against none other than former SEC East rival Tennessee.

Volunteers fans have bad memories of Grier after he did this against them in 2015 while playing for the Gators.