Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA is sitting a dangerous president with decision

Started by jbcarol, December 03, 2010, 01:10:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Root Down

Quote from: Hogchick on July 23, 2012, 08:26:20 am
Please tell me that is a joke.

Heck they should melt the thing down and sell material, donate to charity....geez

greghog

Quote from: cam21 on July 23, 2012, 08:17:36 am
Wow, Ladies and Gents we are witnessing the end of Penn State University as we know it..they were right about the death penalty being better smh

Wrong on both counts, IMO.  The money is a non factor.  Bowl ban will hurt, scholarship limit will hurt, but neither is nearly as bad a death penalty.

PSU will be much more like USC in how it gets over sanctions, not much like SMU.  6 or 7 years from now, won't be able to tell anything ever happened, if not a lot sooner.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: itbm1 on July 23, 2012, 08:32:35 am
Local news and reaction from Penn State. The comments to the articles by fans are very telling.

http://www.pennlive.com/jerry-sandusky/

Heck, just look at the results of their poll on the punishment.  Nearly 65% said it was too harsh.

The best thing about the devastation of their football program is that we don't ever have to hear from these lunatics again. 

Firefighter

Unlike the firing of Nutt, this will set back their program for ten years.....at least!!

jbcarol

http://pennstatetrustee.com/2012/07/22/the-penn-state-i-knew-died-today/

QuoteThe Penn State I Knew Died Today

The decision to take down Joe Paterno's statue is a case of the media destroying all due process.  We are now a people lead by knee jerk reactions and mob rule...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Pulled(PP)pork

Mr. Sandusky prolly doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hades, once he's let out in gen pop, some pissed of Ped St. fan in the pokey are going to be out for blood.

Pulled out...

HogScoutMaster

LOVE IT...

While watching tv Sunday one of those crazy PSU fans (female) said they removed the statue because of pressure from the masses.  That they should wait till ALL THE FACTS came out.  What a delusional fan base, and they say we're bad.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Root Down on July 23, 2012, 08:34:38 am
Heck they should melt the thing down and sell material, donate to charity....geez

No they should toss it in a river

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: Hawg Balling on July 23, 2012, 08:35:34 am
Heck, just look at the results of their poll on the punishment.  Nearly 65% said it was too harsh.

The best thing about the devastation of their football program is that we don't ever have to hear from these lunatics again. 

Down to 56% now.  It is early.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

TrueBlue

I said it before and will say it again, vacated wins = useless punishment.

If they made them forfeit the victories, that would be another story.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: greghog on July 23, 2012, 08:35:19 am
PSU will be much more like USC in how it gets over sanctions, not much like SMU.  6 or 7 years from now, won't be able to tell anything ever happened, if not a lot sooner.

Disagree.  Unlike USC, who has an extensive history of success dating back to the 1920s, Penn State's glory days are essentially tied to one coach - Paterno.  Before Paterno, Penn State was hardly a national powerhouse.  Plus, USC enjoys regional recruiting advantages Penn State can only dream of, and that has helped them whether the NCAA storm.

cam21

Quote from: greghog on July 23, 2012, 08:35:19 am
Wrong on both counts, IMO.  The money is a non factor.  Bowl ban will hurt, scholarship limit will hurt, but neither is nearly as bad a death penalty.

You don't think there will be a mass exodus of the players who don't like the idea of no bowl games in there career?

jry04

Quote from: Wildhog on July 23, 2012, 08:26:04 am
daaaaaaamn. 

No bowls.  -10 schollies/year.  5 year probation.

Oh, and give us $60M.
It is not just 10 scholarships, it is 20. They lose 10 to offer to recruits, so instead of signing 25, they can sign 15. Their max roster is 65 on scholarships, though. So they really lose 80 scholarships for the next 4 years because they can only have 65 on roster, but they lose a total to offer for signings.

HogScoutMaster

we don't ever have to hear from these lunatics again. 

Seriously doubt that, there are some NUT jobs out there.

Tim Harris

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on July 23, 2012, 08:44:49 am
It is not just 10 scholarships, it is 20. They lose 10 to offer to recruits, so instead of signing 25, they can sign 15. Their max roster is 65 on scholarships, though. So they really lose 80 scholarships for the next 4 years because they can only have 65 on roster, but they lose a total to offer for signings.

I must have missed this part about only having 65.

Tim Harris

I bet we still hear plenty this year.  After that it might die down some.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Tim Harris on July 23, 2012, 08:45:56 am
I must have missed this part about only having 65.

For comparison, an FCS program can offer 63 football scholarships currently.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

twistitup

Quote from: intoxhog on July 23, 2012, 08:19:30 am
Bobby Bowden now all time wins leader!

I thought it was the old Grambling coach? Can't remember his name.....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Tim Harris

Quote from: twistitup on July 23, 2012, 08:47:19 am
I thought it was the old Grambling coach? Can't remember his name.....

Eddie Robinson.  He is the winniest coach if you look at everyone but he wasn't D1.

Tim Harris

Quote from: chiefsfan on July 23, 2012, 08:47:05 am
For comparison, an FCS program can offer 63 football scholarships currently.

Yes but I didn't hear the Prez say they only could have 65.

jry04

July 23, 2012, 08:51:04 am #120 Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:52:59 am by rsvl_hogfan4
Quote from: Tim Harris on July 23, 2012, 08:48:24 am

Yes but I didn't hear the Prez say they only could have 65.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-nittany-lions-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998

3rd sentence

"Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said."

10 initial/20 annual

so the next 4 years they will have 15 for recruits, and 65 total. That in itself is devastating. They will not have any depth. Then, throw in the bowl ban and no recruits will go.

greghog

Quote from: cam21 on July 23, 2012, 08:44:36 am
You don't think there will be a mass exodus of the players who don't like the idea of no bowl games in there career?

I doubt there will be a mass exodus.  Could be wrong.  But, lets fast forward 2 years.  A kid is being recruited by PSU.  "Well, Billy, if you sign with us and red shirt, there will only be one year of penalties left when you start playing."  The next year, the sepal is if you red shirt, there won't be any years of penalty left. 

The biggest effect, I suspect, is on this year's and next year's recruiting classes.

I guess I am just jaded by how the sanctions against USC didn't seem to be even a bump in the road for them.  I hope those that say PSU is no USC are right and I am wrong!

TrueBlue

That new Bill O'Brien salary just got a little tougher to pay...

jry04

Quote from: greghog on July 23, 2012, 08:55:33 am
I doubt there will be a mass exodus.  Could be wrong.  But, lets fast forward 2 years.  A kid is being recruited by PSU.  "Well, Billy, if you sign with us and red shirt, there will only be one year of penalties left when you start playing."  The next year, the sepal is if you red shirt, there won't be any years of penalty left. 

The biggest effect, I suspect, is on this year's and next year's recruiting classes.

I guess I am just jaded by how the sanctions against USC didn't seem to be even a bump in the road for them.  I hope those that say PSU is no USC are right and I am wrong!
4 years from now PSU won't have a team good enough to make a bowl game. You are crazy if you think PSU is in a bowl in the next 8 years. They will not have the athletes or the depth to compete at a high level.

USC was not banned 4 years, USC did not have this 20 scholarships taken away for 4 years, USC did not have an entire year's worth of revenue fined...

Not playing for one year would be far easier to come back from then this. I feel pretty confident there will be 10+ kids that leave after this from the current team.

TrueBlue

I am with you on this especially when you put the $60 million fine and the vacated wins in perspective. Neither of those really mean much. $60 million is a drop in the bucket for Penn St and the vacated wins are a joke. Regardless, neither penalty will keep a recruit from playing at Penn St.

The question is the loss of schollies and the loss of bowl games and how that will affect the program - it sure hasn't hurt USC. I think we would love to have some of USC's recruits right now.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: TrueBlue on July 23, 2012, 09:06:56 am
Regardless, neither penalty will keep a recruit from playing at Penn St.

Now let see what the B10 does.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Tim Harris

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 23, 2012, 09:15:47 am
Looking at this another way, O'Brien will have no expectations for four years. Regardless of his on field results, he is pretty much guaranteed a job for the next six years at a minimum.

I agree but still you have to feel for the guy.  He took the job that no one else wanted.  At the time it was just following a legend and dealing with the fallout from Sandusky.  At the time none of this was out and it looked like he was just going to worry about football which is something he knows a lot about.  Now with all of this going on they have made it impossible for him to do that.

Like you said though at least he should have no expecations placed on him.

Hawg Balling

Again, the situations are entirely different because of the geographic recruiting advantages USC enjoys.  Plus, USC is in year 1 of the scholarship limitations because they appealed.  Don't kid yourself by thinking USC is fully over their scholarship sanctions.

pigture perfect

The only other thing I would recommend is to make Penn St. Have a scarlet P on those ugly boring helmets.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

nwarazfan

Quote from: Hawg Balling on July 23, 2012, 09:26:37 am
Again, the situations are entirely different because of the geographic recruiting advantages USC enjoys.  Plus, USC is in year 1 of the scholarship limitations because they appealed.  Don't kid yourself by thinking USC is fully over their scholarship sanctions.

And the one weakness USC has this season is depth. 

El Puerco Grande

I would hate to be a lifelong Penn State fan today. Can you imagine how we would feel if this was Arkansas?
How 'bout them hogs?

jbcarol

MrKnowItAll

Penn State president Rodney Erickson signed consent agreement to NCAA sanctions

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/penn_state_president_rodney_er_15.html

"The tragedy of child sexual abuse that occurred at our University altered the lives of innocent children. Today, as every day, our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the victims of Mr. Sandusky and all other victims of child abuse.

"Against this backdrop, Penn State accepts the penalties and corrective actions announced today by the NCAA. With today's announcement and the action it requires of us, the University takes a significant step forward.

"The NCAA ruling holds the University accountable for the failure of those in power to protect children and insists that all areas of the University community are held to the same high standards of honesty and integrity.

jry04

Quote from: TrueBlue on July 23, 2012, 09:06:56 am
I am with you on this especially when you put the $60 million fine and the vacated wins in perspective. Neither of those really mean much. $60 million is a drop in the bucket for Penn St and the vacated wins are a joke. Regardless, neither penalty will keep a recruit from playing at Penn St.

The question is the loss of schollies and the loss of bowl games and how that will affect the program - it sure hasn't hurt USC. I think we would love to have some of USC's recruits right now.
Not even the same situation. USC had a 2 year ban and 30 scholarship reduction. Not 4 year and 80. USC could weather the storm because they already had a good team, they have a great location, and players only had to wait 2 years to get back to normal. Everyone on the current roster and incoming recruits know they will never play in a bowl game if they stay at/go to Penn State.

As others have pointed out, USC is lacking depth this season. I heard Jesse Palmer say on ESPN that USC only has 70 something kids on the roster and they are just an injury or two away from ruining their season because of the lack of depth.

The NCAA is allowing coaches to contact PSU players, too.

jbcarol

"Unbelievable," said a Penn State trustee informed of the NCAA statement, speaking to ESPN.com senior writer Don Van Natta Jr. "Unbelievable, unbelievable."

QuoteThe Penn State trustees' hope that the statue's removal might send a positive message was trumped by the NCAA, which had already decided.

"Emmert has been given full reign by the pansy presidents (at other universities) to make his own decision," said the trustee, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "He has been given the authority to impose these unprecedented sanctions. It's horrible."

A trustee said Penn State has hired Gene Marsh, a lawyer for Lightfoot, Franklin & White in Birmingham, Ala.

urkillnmesmalls

Crippling.  That's the best description.   

Any CFB athlete that goes to Penn State for the next 8 years is just going there to lose and get a degree.  That's the truth of the matter.  They would do better to just drop from the B10, and schedule the lowest D1 schools they can in an effort to at least stay somewhat competitive.  They could even schedule some DII's if necessary. 

It also makes the B10 weaker on the whole, and an easy W for their opponents. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

jbcarol

jbcarol

BloodRedHog

Bad precedent for NCAA to be involved....this is not good
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

booogaga

It will be interesting to watch the PSU roster in the next couple of weeks that is for sure.
GO HOGS!

95_alum

So the NCAA is now allowing schools to over sign by accepting PSU transfers? If a PSU player has a scholarship, transfers, that school will honor that scholarship?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: DewUar88 on July 23, 2012, 09:08:54 am
Now let see what the B10 does.
Bans Ped St. from the Championship Game for the 4yrs.....like they really have a chance, lol

Pulled out...

duck slayer

Doesn't this scholarship math effectively prevent them from taking a 2013 recruiting class?

If they are currently at 85 and lose 20 to graduation, etc. at the end of the year, that attrition alone would still have them at 65 and maxed out.  If this is correct, they would have to lose 35 players in order to bring in their 15 recruits.

Interested to see what the Big 10 does.  I can't imagine any team in the conference wants to play PSU any time soon.  The PSU/NE game was a bizarre thing to watch last year when the scandal was fresh.  I can't imagine how bizarre PSU games will be this year.

jry04

Quote from: 95_alum on July 23, 2012, 10:00:19 am
So the NCAA is now allowing schools to over sign by accepting PSU transfers? If a PSU player has a scholarship, transfers, that school will honor that scholarship?
Not yet, but NCAA is thinking about it.