Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offensive line thoughts

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 29, 2016, 08:21:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

I can recall many seasons when Arkansas did not have two anchors for the offensive line as good as Frank Ragnow and Dan Skipper. When we were hoping that a mix of third-year players and former walk-ons would be good enough to fill in the gaps around a couple of established starters.

The quality of opposition has only gotten tougher since those days. But for this team, uncertainty is a bigger issue than possibility is.

Jake Raulerson, the Texas transfer, is a possibility at center, guard or tackle. Which position will be settled in August camp, but having him adds to the Razorbacks' flexibility. Unlike most of the other newcomers, Raulerson does not have to play catch-up on getting his body ready.

Juco transfer Deion Malone is one player who could make a move in August. His head was spinning in the spring, but Malone is strong enough now to play.

Hjalte Froholdt also is physically ready to go but even less experienced than Malone is. Froholdt was the spring starter at left guard.

If Ragnow is not the starting center, Raulerson likely would be. Ragnow would move back to right guard. That would leave a basketful of options for the other guard slot -- Brian Wallace, Zach Rogers, Malone, freshman Jake Heinrich.

A lack of versatility has hampered the Oline situation. When he was recruited, Brian Wallace was regarded as a possible left tackle. Wallace was moved to right guard after one day of spring practice. There's a commonly held view in the BAC that Wallace is a much better right tackle than anything else. Skipper has played guard before and might adapt there better than Wallace can.

Jalen Merrick was thought of as a guard by many recruiters, but Arkansas had hoped he could play tackle. He moved to guard pretty quickly last season. Merrick also wished to move to the right side. Merrick's story is far from written. He is a redshirt freshman. Whether his time is now or later, Merrick has talent.

The players closest to the physical type for left tackle are redshirt freshman Colton Jackson and juco transfer Paul Ramirez. Jackson is in his second year of college and has yet to play a game. Ramirez looked like he had never seen a weight room when he arrived. It would be best if Ramirez could redshirt and Jackson could learn behind a veteran.

At this point, the top offensive linemen probably include

Ragnow
Skipper
Raulerson
Wallace
Froholdt
Rogers
Jackson

and after those, Johnny Gibson, Heinrich, Malone, Merrick and Ramirez will vie to join the rotation.

A lot has not been decided + in my view the riskiest path would be if the coaches tried to wing it with the spring starters (a la 2002) and ended up being forced to make a radical change of direction after TCU.

Instead, we probably should expect to see a lot of changes. My thought is that at least nine players could be in the running for playing time to begin the season, with maybe two more joining the mix by midseason.

The most important change taking place is the execution of the running game. Kurt Anderson is putting in a system that is different than the one Arkansas used with Sam Pittman. It seems like a very good scheme, but the question is how well the Hogs will run it in September. Austin Allen at quarterback also has to show he can execute the run plays, checks and fakes as well as his brother did.

If I were on the TCU staff, I'd be watching a lot of Eastern Michigan video. If that's even possible.
[CENSORED]!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 08:21:24 am

If I were on the TCU staff, I'd be watching a lot of Eastern Michigan video. If that's even possible.

It's a good thing you are not on the TCU staff.

ArkansasI

I understand the nature of college football is such that teams are annually searching for replacements at key positions.  Yet, I admit to suffering frustration and concern that the Hogs enter this season with two of our top linemen being a first year offensive lineman and a summer transfer.

On the flip side, the first year offensive lineman appears to be an enthusiastic teammate with good ability and high upside; and the summer transfer appears to be a worthy starter that left a "bad fit".  These are odd fellows... in a good way.

The culture developing on the Hill has me popping corn and waiting patiently to see how this thing pans out.

Thanks for the update!

colbs

Raulerson at worst brings quality depth.  I bet he has a bigger role and starts though at center.  This is huge because it seemed like the staff was having trouble finding someone to fill the other guard position.   If this happens Ragnow can go back to Guard and there will be plenty of options for the other guard position. 

ArkansasI

I think the concern is at left tackle.

Biggus Piggus

They really like Heinrich, and the only question is whether he is second-team or first -- eventually.

He could get there in August, or maybe by October.

All this is complicated by the coaches' desire to get the team off to a fast start after losing big games early in 2014-15. Do they choose to go with the most talented five, or the most experienced?

The most talented five would not be very good in September. But the most experienced might not be either. A la 2002.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 08:52:20 am
They really like Heinrich, and the only question is whether he is second-team or first -- eventually.

All this is complicated by the coaches' desire to get the team off to a fast start after losing big games early in 2014-15. Do they choose to go with the most talented five, or the most experienced?

The most talented five would not be very good in September. But the most experienced might not be either. A la 2002.

Let's see how Heinrich goes against some of our big boys when they go live, to me that's a more telling tale on if someone is ready. Hopefully he fits the bill and can contribute if needed.

LZH

I can't say who the five on the field were at the time, but from what I saw this past spring standing on the hill on the northeast corner of the stadium, our OL couldn't do anything with our DL....at all. Our RB's had absolutely nowhere to go. Maybe our DL is just that much better.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 29, 2016, 08:50:10 am

By fans? Yep.

By CBB/staff?  I don't know.  CBB has had nothing but good things to say about Colton.  Additionally, he made no moves in the spring that would indicate his serious concern about LT (i.e. moving Skipper over, or moving anybody else over, either). 

Perhaps he really is as concerned about LT as almost every fan is and is hoping/wishing Rodriguez will come in and be the man at LT.

Panic and react just doesn't seem to be CBB's MO, at least not with the OL.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

The NewEra

Quote from: LZH on July 29, 2016, 09:08:01 am
I can't say who the five on the field were at the time, but from what I saw this past spring standing on the hill on the northeast corner of the stadium, our OL couldn't do anything with our DL....at all. Our RB's had absolutely nowhere to go. Maybe our DL is just that much better.

Glass half enpty - You're exactly right --- Glass half full - They will be in fall camp competing against a very talented group of D-Linemen. 

The big question is how quickly our O-Line can improve.  Here's hoping it's at lightning speed.

ArkansasI

I'm elated that they are optimistic about Heinrich, but it is a mighty rare 18 year old that has lived long enough and had adequate weight room training to step successfully into the offensive line in the SEC.

I appreciate the concerns.

bphi11ips

July 29, 2016, 10:13:37 am #11 Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:51:36 am by bphi11ips
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 29, 2016, 09:16:05 am
By fans? Yep.

Exactly my reaction at Biggus's use of the word "uncertainty".  By Arkansas standards, Anderson has an embarrassment of riches on the OL, even if many are underclassmen.  If Jake Heinrich is in the mix we're in trouble, not because he isn't a fine player, but because he is a true freshman behind a bunch of 4 star recruits who have been on campus a year or more. 

Ragnow and Skipper are true anchors.  Had Raulerson been a Razorback for 3 years he would be, too. 

Bielema doesn't appear to be overly concerned about the run game.  I'll agree with LZH that the defensive line dominated the Spring game, but if you believe some here, that is all scripted.  Here's what I think: Spring games are a bit scripted, but they're basically scrimmages with no surprises.  That puts the offense at a disadvantage.  But - it's been a long time since Arkansas has had this much experience, size, and depth on the defensive front.  We may have the most underrated defensive line in college football.  If Taylor is eligible and brings the speed advertised, and if Agim is what he appears to be, Arkansas' s defense is going to be very good.   

Arkansas's o-line will overwhelm La Tech's defensive front at home, and then it will beat up TCU's experienced and quick, but undersized, defensive front in Fort Worth.  TCU's defense is built to combat the finesse, dink-and-dunk offenses of the Big 12.  That's why I predicted last year they'd have their hands full at Minnesota, where they escaped 23-17.  Arkansas is built like Minnesota but on SEC West standards.  We'll run straight at the Horned Frogs, and by the fourth quarter they'll be ready for a shower.

We'll find out what our line is made of against A&M, but until then, I not scare.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PonderinHog

It seems to me that the Leggo pieces are there.  Just gotta put them together somehow.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 29, 2016, 10:13:37 am
Exactly my reaction at Biggus's use of the word "uncertainty".  By Arkansas standards, Anderson has an embarrassment of riches on the OL, even if many are underclassmen.  If Jake Heinrich is in the mix we're in trouble, not because he isn't a fine player, but because he is a true freshman behind a bunch of 4 star recruits who have been on campus a year or more. 

Ragnow and Skipper are true anchors.  Had Raulerson been a Razorback fo 3 years he would be, too. 

Bielema doesn't appear to be overly concerned about the run game.  I'll agree with LZH that the defensive line dominated the Spring game, but if you believe some here, that is all scripted.  Here's what I think: Spring games are a bit scripted, but they're basically scrimmages with no surprises.  That puts the offense at a disadvantage.  But - it's been a long time since Arkansas has had this much experience, size, and depth on the defensive front.  We may have the most underrated defensive line in college football.  If Taylor is eligible and brings the speed advertised, and if Agim is what he appears to be, Arkansas' s defense is going to be very good.   

Arkansas's o-line will overwhelm La Tech's defensive front at home, and then it will beat up TCU's experienced and quick, but undersized, defensive front in Fort Worth.  TCU's defense is built to combat the finesse, dink-and-dunk offenses of the Big 12.  That's why I predicted last year they'd have their hands full at Minnesota, where they escaped 23-17.  Arkansas is built like Minnesota but on SEC West standards.  We'll run straight at the Horned Frogs, and by the fourth quarter they'll be ready for a shower.

We'll find out what our line is made of against A&M, but until then, I not scare.

I'm with you, and it seems as if we are in the minority.  That's okay, that usually works out well.  ;)
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jackflash

Offensive line not some thing we are have to worry about with this staff. Maybe some other position

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2016, 10:42:52 am
It seems to me that the Leggo pieces are there.  Just gotta put them together somehow.

So, are you equating this to 3AM on Christmas morning and you're putting together a 500 piece 6ft long battleship without instructions, or a 8 piece puzzle for 3 year old?

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2016, 10:56:58 am
So, are you equating this to 3AM on Christmas morning and you're putting together a 500 piece 6ft long battleship without instructions, or a 8 piece puzzle for 3 year old?

Some of the blocks just arrived and haven't been opened yet. 

Oklahawg

The XMas present/Lego metaphor is a useful one.

How many are skilled enough to rip open the box and dump the pieces on the floor fully capable of figuring it out "just fine" without directions?

The issue isn't getting the final pieces in place. The issue is how many false starts we have, false options trotted out for meaningful reps in games.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

One variable to tilt things towards a more optimistic conclusion: coaches can interact with players a lot more these days vs days of old. The players are learning schemes and watching video. It is more than the QB leading the team through 7-on-7 skeleton drills and conditioning.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

If you are friends with Frank Ragnow you might gently suggest that he'd be an awesome LT and see what he says.

I suspect he was promised as a recruit that he'd turn into an NFL C/OG and that is fine. He could be an AA LT at UA this year, though, and we could use him there.

Alternatively, Jackson may grow into the gig this fall, or Raulerson revert to recruiting hype and move there. With Ragnow, Raulerson, and Rogers we have an embarrassment of riches at OC.

colbs

To me it seems more like one of the G spots.  It seemed like everyday they were rotating someone else in(Rogers, Wallace, Merrick, and Gibson).   Of course if Raulerson can come in and play center that would allow Ragnow to move back to G.  Like someone posted above they didn't really rotate the LT position.  It seems like they feel good with Jackson.

Biggus Piggus

It's uncertainty, because the coaches don't know what is going to happen in August. They want to see how ready the newer players are to compete for playing time. They want to know whether anyone can compete for the left tackle job. And what certain players do will dictate who gets moved where. They don't know.

This is far better than having few options.
[CENSORED]!

Hogberry Snortcake

July 29, 2016, 12:53:46 pm #22 Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:06:25 pm by Hogberry Snortcake
Quote from: colbs on July 29, 2016, 12:11:37 pm
To me it seems more like one of the G spots.  It seemed like everyday they were rotating someone else in(Rogers, Wallace, Merrick, and Gibson).   Of course if Raulerson can come in and play center that would allow Ragnow to move back to G.  Like someone posted above they didn't really rotate the LT position.  It seems like they feel good with Jackson.

I'm not a big fan of rotation at the G spots.  Generally, you should just put the biggest you have in there and keep putting it in there until it works.  No reason to get fancy or overly complicated.   

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on July 29, 2016, 12:53:46 pm
I'm not a big fan rotation at the G spots.  Generally, you should just put the biggest you have in there and keep putting it in there until it works.  No reason to get fancy or overly complicated.   
Which G spot are you talkin' 'bout here, man ???

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2016, 01:02:33 pm
Which G spot are you talkin' 'bout here, man ???

How do you do that rotation thing on the G spot, my wife asks.
[CENSORED]!

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 01:05:39 pm

Sometimes you need a smaller, more mobile team member. 

*I'll stop now.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on July 29, 2016, 01:07:26 pm
Sometimes you need a smaller, more mobile team member. 

*I'll stop now.

Thought maybe it had something to do with "pulling."
[CENSORED]!

longpig

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on July 29, 2016, 12:53:46 pm
I'm not a big fan of rotation at the G spots.  Generally, you should just put the biggest you have in there and keep putting it in there until it works.  No reason to get fancy or overly complicated.   

Same here, the G spots are important in high school play but there's no time for that in college.
Don't be scared, be smart.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 01:05:39 pm
I'm still trying to "find" more information on the subject.

ArkansasI

We had an intramural flag football team nicknamed the "G Spots" in college.  It was juvenile.  Funny.

I miss college.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 01:08:54 pm
I thought it had more to do with penetration angles. 

longpig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2016, 01:13:12 pm

G spots most important job is delaying penetration.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 01:08:54 pm

Sometimes the guy working the g spot can pull and hit another hole.  That's a power move and a different discussion. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on July 29, 2016, 01:18:18 pm
Sometimes the guy working the g spot can pull and hit another hole.  That's a power move and a different discussion.
At this point, I think a diagram would be most helpful.

longpig

Holes a hole, great pass rushers can't be picky.

The Boar War

Definitely want to get permission before you try to come through the A gap.

hawgwash

Playing the g spot can help get you to the next level.

longpig

Quote from: The Boar War on July 29, 2016, 01:31:07 pm
Definitely want to get permission before you try to come through the A gap.

I don't know, sometimes you get away with it.

AugustaHog

Quote from: colbs on July 29, 2016, 12:11:37 pm
I agree that RG is definitely something they seem more concerned about than any other position.  They seem happy with Jackson at LT and Froholdt at LG.  They clearly don't like Wallace as much at RG as they do RT as there has been mention that if a solution didn't work itself out, they could slide Skip inside and use Wallace at RT.  If Raulerson is that answer at either OC or OG, then that really brings the whole thing together without a ton of switching.  The OG spots seem to be the issue as Froholdt, while promising, is still very green there.  I'm sure it is wide-open, but they seem to be really liking what he is doing so far.  Here's to hoping Raulerson picks up the playbook quickly and meshes well.  If so, I think we will have a salty 2-deep that will allow some of the pups to learn without being exposed.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2016, 01:13:12 pm
Quote from: longpig on July 29, 2016, 01:26:53 pm
Holes a hole, great pass rushers can't be picky.
I you fill the hole with a big enough fellow, any penetration angle will do.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Cinco de Hogo

Froholdt will be there eventually.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 29, 2016, 01:58:19 pm
Froholdt will be there eventually.

Doubtful.  Left tackles need lots of things to be good, and one of them is long arms.

Froholdt will stay inside.

tampahog

Ragnow and Skipper are true anchors.  Had Raulerson been a Razorback for 3 years he would be, too. 

Hopefully we run through TCU better than we did against Texas Tech at home last year

BornaHog

I was at the spring game and I personally am not really concerned for our offense or defense! At times the defense completely dominated the O and at times the O did the same thing to the D. What that tells me is the pieces are in place and with more tweaking, both sides of the ball are going to be really, really good. Just how fast that it all comes together is my main concern. I truly believe the D will carry this team through the first 3 games and by the 4th game the O will start coming together like the O did in the Aubby game last year.

The TCU game is the main game that is bothersome to me, but I also believe the D will have to really show out in that one and will, simply because it is going to be on the big stage in their stadium, think LSU at their house last year!  I am really looking forward to the season simply because the team is starting to be dominated by the type of players that CBB wants, Hard nosed football players, be it on the O or D, and not afraid of getting down and dirty when needed!

Like I said, I am really looking forward to the upcoming season and when the kicking Ass and taking names part really kicks in!!!   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

bphi11ips

Quote from: tampahog on July 29, 2016, 02:33:39 pm
Hopefully we run through TCU better than we did against Texas Tech at home last year

If we feel as sorry for ourselves at TCU as we did last year against TT, we're likely to start 0-2.   

bphi11ips

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 12:53:19 pm
It's uncertainty, because the coaches don't know what is going to happen in August. They want to see how ready the newer players are to compete for playing time. They want to know whether anyone can compete for the left tackle job. And what certain players do will dictate who gets moved where. They don't know.

This is far better than having few options.

My point is that uncertainty in this case does not necessarily equal negative.  It seems you agree. 

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 29, 2016, 03:39:13 pm
If we feel as sorry for ourselves at TCU as we did last year against TT, we're likely to start 0-2.   

There is no way this Hog team starts 0-2, not with the first opponent being a Louisiana Tech team that lost almost everyone on both sides of the ball. That just isn't happening.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2016, 03:43:51 pm
There is no way this Hog team starts 0-2, not with the first opponent being a Louisiana Tech team that lost almost everyone on both sides of the ball. That just isn't happening.

That wasn't the point.

bphi11ips