Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FUTURE PLAYOFF SEMIFINALS WILL BE ON SATURDAYS AND HOLIDAYS

Started by Lanny, July 28, 2016, 11:09:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

IRVING, Texas – Bill Hancock, Executive Director of the College Football Playoff (CFP), today announced a shift in scheduling to the semifinal games in years 5, 6, 11 and 12 of the rotation.

With this adjustment, all semifinals games will be played on Saturdays or holidays.

"We had healthy discussions with a lot of people who love college football and we concluded that making these changes would be the right thing to do for our fans." said Hancock.

"We tried to do something special with New Year's Eve, even when it fell on a weekday. But after studying this to see if it worked, we think we can do better.  These adjustments will allow more people to experience the games they enjoy so much.  For these four years, our previous call is reversed."

Hancock pointed out that the semifinals do remain on one weekday New Year's Eve—Friday, December 31, 2021—which will be the federally observed New Year's holiday.

Here are the dates of the future semifinals (asterisks indicate years when the schedule has been changed):

2016-17 Saturday, December 31 Fiesta and Peach
2017-18 Monday, January 1 Rose and Sugar
*2018-19 Saturday, December 29 Cotton and Orange
*2019-20 Saturday, December 28 Fiesta and Peach
2020-21 Friday, January 1 Rose and Sugar
2021-22 Friday, December 31 Orange and Bowl TBD
2022-23 Saturday, December 31 Bowls TBD
2023-24 Monday, January 1 Rose and Sugar
*2024-25 Saturday, December 28 Orange and Bowl TBD
*2025-26 Saturday, December 27 Bowls TBD

As noted above, the semifinals will be played in the Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls at least through 2025-26.  The CFP expects to determine the other semifinals sites for the 2021-22 season and thereafter some time in 2018. 

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

BILLYBOB

Glad to hear this. Playing on New Years Eve was dumb...
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

FraggleHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 28, 2016, 01:19:55 pm
I wish the championship game wasn't on Monday.

The championship for College Football and Basketball are both played on Mondays... In my opinion this is strategic... They know typically everyone is home on Monday evenings so they play it then to get higher TV ratings.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Dr. Starcs

How does bill Hancock still have this job? He is such a tool. Heard him about 10 years ago ridiculing anyone who even suggested a playoff for college football.

woodhog14

I just wish they would play the playoff games AFTER the bowls finish. If you notice, there are 4 years where the playoff games are played on Dec. 27th, 28th, and 29th. Once I watch the 2 playoff games, I don't care about the other bowl games. It was weird watching the bowl games this year since so many came AFTER the 2 playoff games. Just my $.02.
:)

FraggleHog

Quote from: woodhog14 on July 28, 2016, 02:35:55 pm
I just wish they would play the playoff games AFTER the bowls finish. If you notice, there are 4 years where the playoff games are played on Dec. 27th, 28th, and 29th. Once I watch the 2 playoff games, I don't care about the other bowl games. It was weird watching the bowl games this year since so many came AFTER the 2 playoff games. Just my $.02.
:)

Unless, of course the Hogs are playing (Which they did on Jan 2) ;)
Calling the Hogs from DFW

woodhog14

hogblitz

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 28, 2016, 02:17:46 pm
How does bill Hancock still have this job? He is such a tool. Heard him about 10 years ago ridiculing anyone who even suggested a playoff for college football.

I say the same thing about Chuck Barrett. I will NEVER get over the comments he made concerning the fans who wanted Nutt gone.  Comparing them to terrorists along with many other offensive remarks and saying our program will be setback 10 years.  ANY other employee of an organization would have been fired on the spot.   He has done nothing but benefit from it.  Even landed the basketball games.  I will NEVER like him unless he publically apologizes.  Which he will never do and would have already if he had any intention of doing so.   I am in a real catch 22 if the TV broadcasters annoy me if I am watching on TV!!!LOL

Professor Psychosis

It's better, but I wish they'd just do the semifinals on Jan. 1st every year.  That used to be a special day back in the 80s and 90s with all the relevant bowl games being played, now it's just an afterthought most years.

Ah, but good ol' Rose and Sugar gotta have it their way.  Sugar, no excuse, they had many games not on Jan. 1st during the BCS era.  Rose, I get it, Tournament of Roses parade Jan 1st, but they could find a way to make it work somehow.

SRV

We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

East Clintwood

It's football.

I will adjust my schedule to watch.  Doesn't really matter what day it is.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

cosmodrum

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 28, 2016, 02:13:04 pm
The championship for College Football and Basketball are both played on Mondays... In my opinion this is strategic... They know typically everyone is home on Monday evenings so they play it then to get higher TV ratings.

yeah, but it's no fun for us. Nobody wants to get together and watch on a Monday. No parties, etc. Just sitting by myself, watching two teams I most likely can't stand.
Go away, batin'