Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Bielema on the Outlook at Linebacker

Started by Drew Amman, July 24, 2016, 11:12:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Amman

July 24, 2016, 11:12:11 pm Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:29:23 am by Scott Marshall
Hogs' Outlook at Linebacker:

Bret Bielema recently made his thoughts very clear (on SEC Media Days in Hoover) regarding the group of linebackers in the program.

"I like where our linebacker core is going," Bielema said.
Collectively you'd stop short saying that last year.  In terms of depth, the Hogs were thin at that position in 2015.

That's not the case this season, according to the Head Hog.  Brooks Ellis (Arkansas' Leading Returning Tackler) and Dre Greenlaw lead the unit, but what about the group beyond that Senior/Sophomore Duo?

Read full story here: http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/2016-hogs-counting-on-improved-depth-at-linebacker

Hawgzinbowlz

I like our potential depth at LB.

We have reason for optimism that the newcomers, combined with our returners, will give us SEC quality LB play for 60 minutes.

" GO HOGS "

bigdaddyhawg

I don't like being the one to bring down the good feelings (not joking), and I am also encouraged by everything I'm hearing, but we need to keep this in mind: Bret has a tendency to over-value at certain times certain aspects of the team.

I think it's because he's a positive guy by nature, and he truly cares about his players, so he sees good things in them.

Just a word to the wise.  But, honestly, I hope that's not the case here, this would be a huge difference in our defense.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

onebadrubi

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 25, 2016, 07:31:55 am
I don't like being the one to bring down the good feelings (not joking), and I am also encouraged by everything I'm hearing, but we need to keep this in mind: Bret has a tendency to over-value at certain times certain aspects of the team.

I think it's because he's a positive guy by nature, and he truly cares about his players, so he sees good things in them.

Just a word to the wise.  But, honestly, I hope that's not the case here, this would be a huge difference in our defense.

On the Flip side, in 5-7 years when have we had this good looking of a linebacker group?  From leadership to incoming recruits.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 25, 2016, 08:28:01 am
On the Flip side, in 5-7 years when have we had this good looking of a linebacker group?  From leadership to incoming recruits.

Yep. 

I do believe, for the first time ever probably, we are actually building quality depth, and not just at LB, but across the entire team.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

KlubhouseKonnected

Ramsey is going to make a difference. I can just feel it.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 25, 2016, 10:03:13 am

I really liked what CBB said that RR had a knack for rushing the passer.  That's a good thing.

onebadrubi

Man that guy is setting up the perfect story isn't he?  I think we have all thought he could be something since he signed and saw some early promise from him.  He seems to be one of the kids that didn't get it early on but The Bielema Way worked on him and should pay great dividends.  I am hoping for big things from him just as much Williams coming off that neck injury.

BornaHog

If Ramsey had not been dismissed last year, the linebacker crew would have been much better, so getting him back is really going to help!!!   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

AugustaHog

I'm glad to see the depth catching up at LB.  We have been razor thin there for the last couple years.  It's good to see some quality young guys in the pipeline.  I think we will need to be praying for some good health at all 3 spots, but there is an obvious difference in expectation levels from this group this year.

KlubhouseKonnected

The fact that Ramsey world his way back instead of going elsewhere makes me think he is someone special.  He has overcome a hurdle already and this game is a reward that i doubt he takes for granted.

ricepig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 25, 2016, 10:55:58 am
The fact that Ramsey world his way back instead of going elsewhere makes me think he is someone special.  He has overcome a hurdle already and this game is a reward that i doubt he takes for granted.

Now he needs to work himself on to the depth chart.....

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on July 25, 2016, 11:04:42 am
Now he needs to work himself on to the depth chart.....

Pretty sure he is on the depth chart at Sam. He and Hackett will be battling in camp.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 25, 2016, 12:02:05 pm
Pretty sure he is on the depth chart at Sam. He and Hackett will be battling in camp.

I'm hopeful at some point, either through simple repetition or through experience, the "light's going to come on" for Khalia.  He seems like a really good kid and IMO he's very athletic.

Could be very good position of strength for us.

BTW, anyone have any idea where they have Harris slotted for?

Paul

I have confidence Hargreaves will do well with this group of LB's.  It's amazing we didn't lose more games with only Ellis & Greenlaw seeing most of the snaps

ricepig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 25, 2016, 12:02:05 pm

He wasn't on this depth chart, I didn't find an official one post spring game.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/arkansas/89992

I expect him to compete, but I don't remember him being listed. Hopefully he continues to earn some time.

KlubhouseKonnected

Going by what Coach was quoted as saying in the linked article it seems like he expects Ramsey and Hackett to be the top two guys at Sam.

AugustaHog

I think our starters at LB should be pretty salty.  Dre was a playmaker last year and really was trying to figure things out with the playbook.  I expect that he will be even more effective now that he will be reacting more than thinking out there.  Brooks is a good, solid LB.  Last season he needed to be more than that because he had limited help around him.  I think things will be better for him now that the pieces are coming back together beside him.  If Ramsey is capable of getting after the QB and being sound in coverage, this could very well wind up being a strength this year.  We need Hackett, Eugene, Harris etc. to take that next step.  By all accounts Khalia has progressed greatly already.  It'd be nice to have 6 or 7 we can count on this season.

onebadrubi

Quote from: AugustaHog on July 25, 2016, 03:01:35 pm
I think our starters at LB should be pretty salty.  Dre was a playmaker last year and really was trying to figure things out with the playbook.  I expect that he will be even more effective now that he will be reacting more than thinking out there.  Brooks is a good, solid LB.  Last season he needed to be more than that because he had limited help around him.  I think things will be better for him now that the pieces are coming back together beside him.  If Ramsey is capable of getting after the QB and being sound in coverage, this could very well wind up being a strength this year.  We need Hackett, Eugene, Harris etc. to take that next step.  By all accounts Khalia has progressed greatly already.  It'd be nice to have 6 or 7 we can count on this season.

Like a real 2 deep with 3 true LB'ers?  We won't know what to do around here.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 25, 2016, 03:07:36 pm
Hope so, let's try something different. Have not had sec quality ILB play since......Franklin? Sam?

The Kig

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 25, 2016, 01:38:04 am
potential depth

Just something about that phrasing that struck me as funny.  WAY more potential than depth.  Especially since we really only have 2 guys (Ellis and Greenlaw) that would count. Ramsey could be a stud... And several others are definitely in the potential group. 

Poker Porker

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 25, 2016, 03:41:40 pm
Hope so, let's try something different. Have not had sec quality ILB play since......Franklin? Sam?

Franklin was a great LB'er for us, but under Bielema he would be another Spaight's I believe.  I think he was a little under sized for a true ILB. 

carolinahogger

"I like where our linebacker core is going."

Corps.  The word is corps.  A journalist should hold himself to a higher standard.

bennyl08

Quote from: carolinahogger on July 25, 2016, 09:58:37 pm
"I like where our linebacker core is going."

Corps.  The word is corps.  A journalist should hold himself to a higher standard.

Maybe he was only referring to the core of the corps?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

BatesvilleHOG

Scoota is gonna be special, y'all. Give him two years and he'll be one of our best players on D.

Also really proud of Randy Ramsey! Hyped him hard coming out of High School.. I think he has a break out year.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 25, 2016, 12:43:31 pm
I'm hopeful at some point, either through simple repetition or through experience, the "light's going to come on" for Khalia.  He seems like a really good kid and IMO he's very athletic.

Could be very good position of strength for us.

BTW, anyone have any idea where they have Harris slotted for?

I'm sorry that I can't be enthusiastic about a linebacker in a safety's body.
215 lbs?   Wow that's light in the pants.
225 would be light and still be 10 lbs heavier.

I read a story on here once about Danny Ford wanting to change the culture of the program.
One thing he told his assistants was that they were forbidden to bother recruiting players below a certain range of height and weight.  It was also stated that Meadors was snuck by him because of how much the assistant liked him.

His philosophy was to compete in the SEC, we needed to have SEC bodies to work with.
I think his theory proved true.

I'm sure Hackett is a good person and fantastic athlete.
I'm just not sure he's the answer at LB.
No.  I'm nowhere near the skill and experience level as our coaches, but this doesn't pass the eyeball factor to me.

Is he fast enough for safety?
With a LB's mentality, he could be dynamite there.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 25, 2016, 03:07:36 pm

No kidding.
For whatever reasons, our LBs have been undersized or pedestrian in ability almost every year since joining the SEC.
Yes, we've had a few standouts here and there, but consistently, we've been small or mediocre.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 26, 2016, 02:12:14 am

I read a story on here once about Danny Ford wanting to change the culture of the program.
One thing he told his assistants was that they were forbidden to bother recruiting players below a certain range of height and weight.  It was also stated that Meadors was snuck by him because of how much the assistant liked him.

His philosophy was to compete in the SEC, we needed to have SEC bodies to work with.

No.  I'm nowhere near the skill and experience level as our coaches, but this doesn't pass the eyeball factor to me.

These aren't the days of teams with smashing running games and throwing 15 times a game.  In this day and age you need safety/LB hybrids who can run if you're going to play D against these spread teams.

goshog

Last year Hackett was listed at 232, I'm betting somebody made a mistake on his weight the same way they did with Sprinkle

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 26, 2016, 07:46:10 am
These aren't the days of teams with smashing running games and throwing 15 times a game.  In this day and age you need safety/LB hybrids who can run if you're going to play D against these spread teams.

At last report Hackett was down from 230 to 215. You have to believe that there is a designed reason for that weight loss.

I'll be glad to hear the latest weights. I think that Harris and LaFrance both reported at 235, which is that heavier LB that has been discussed here. Do they have the speed at the SEC level to carry that weight? We will see.
Go Hogs Go!

onebadrubi

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 26, 2016, 07:54:48 am
At last report Hackett was down from 230 to 215. You have to believe that there is a designed reason for that weight loss.

I'll be glad to hear the latest weights. I think that Harris and LaFrance both reported at 235, which is that heavier LB that has been discussed here. Do they have the speed at the SEC level to carry that weight? We will see.

I believe our MLB future depends on it. Well we have Jackson too who I think might make a great mlb for us

ricepig

Harris and LaFrance both show to be over 250# on the roster, fwiw.

Biggus Piggus

Dwayne Eugene is going to figure into the LB rotation this season.
[CENSORED]!

KlubhouseKonnected

Could be that they are "cross training by personelle" so to speak. By that I mean, you may have a guy like Bihjon who plays a ton against your Alabama's and LSU's but hardly sees a snap against a pure spread while there is a lighter quicker guy who is his opposite.

I was just thinking about this the other day. In the sec west you are really challenged with your personelle because one week you have to line up and play smash mouth against the best and then turn around and cover the whole field against spreads like A&M or Ole Miss.  It's a real challenge because, at some positions, guys that have the tools to excel at both are pretty hard to come by.

bennyl08

So we have to get rid of Olajabutu, too short. Bye bye Mallett, he was too tall. Jarius and Adams? Gone, too small. Dennis Johnson? Too small. Michael Smith? So long. Tyler Wilson? Too short. BA and Wilson, hands too small. Trey Flowers? Too short. DJ Williams? Too small. Tevin Mitchel, too short.

The list goes on and on. If we only had people with the "proper" size, our teams would be a lot, lot worse.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hogs run wild

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 26, 2016, 11:11:59 am
So we have to get rid of Olajabutu, too short. Bye bye Mallett, he was too tall. Jarius and Adams? Gone, too small. Dennis Johnson? Too small. Michael Smith? So long. Tyler Wilson? Too short. BA and Wilson, hands too small. Trey Flowers? Too short. DJ Williams? Too small. Tevin Mitchel, too short.

The list goes on and on. If we only had people with the "proper" size, our teams would be a lot, lot worse.
don't forget Bua, and Jerico (sp) Nelson. I believe it was Nutt who had a system that gave a score based on height and weight and determined if someone would be recruited or not. I don't think it measured heart or fight. in other words, no system is perfect. no body type is perfect over another. it's a mixture of body type, brains, heart, technique, talent, etc. A crap shoot.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hogs run wild on July 26, 2016, 12:45:51 pm
don't forget Bua, and Jerico (sp) Nelson. I believe it was Nutt who had a system that gave a score based on height and weight and determined if someone would be recruited or not. I don't think it measured heart or fight. in other words, no system is perfect. no body type is perfect over another. it's a mixture of body type, brains, heart, technique, talent, etc. A crap shoot.

I did forget about Bua. Nelson was one of the first I thought of, could have sworn I listed him, but guess not.

Anthony Leon also comes to mind as a safety to LB convert who was pretty light for his size but very productive.

Chris Smith and Tank Wright were also tweeners so we shouldn't have used them. Philon was too small to play DT, what were thinking taking him?

FineAsSwine

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 26, 2016, 11:11:59 am

By all means let's go to extremes.
Also, many on your list wouldn't qualify to be dropped even using your extreme take.
His response to me:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on July 26, 2016, 08:58:19 am
Harris and LaFrance both show to be over 250# on the roster, fwiw.

Wow, both up 15 lbs? The 235 was when they reported, I haven't seen the latest official weights that should be posted after lifting season.
Go Hogs Go!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 27, 2016, 01:24:44 am
By all means let's go to extremes.
Also, many on your list wouldn't qualify to be dropped even using your extreme take.

He was using those extremes to make a point, which was a good one, but apparently you missed.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 27, 2016, 07:36:39 am
He was using those extremes to make a point, which was a good one, but apparently you missed.

No.
I understood his point.
No, it wasn't a good one.

He merely reinforced our typical lack of SEC sized athletes by parading out the "Who's Who" of overachieving or "exceptions to the rule" small guys.

Maybe Hackett will be the next player to break out.
I don't know.

I don't think anyone objects to the truly exceptional.....

Nevermind.
I simply can't believe I'm having to defend the positives of recruiting athletes on par with SEC sized players.

Emotional attachments to our players perhaps?
His response to me:

onebadrubi

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 27, 2016, 07:52:07 am
No.
I understood his point.

He merely reinforced our typical lack of SEC sized athletes by parading out the "Who's Who" of overachieving or "exceptions to the rule" small guys.

I don't know.

Nevermind.
I simply can't believe I'm having to defend the positives of recruiting athletes on par with SEC sized players.

Some people just love to try and prove themselves more right than others and create controversy

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 27, 2016, 08:28:47 am
Some people just love to try and prove themselves more right than others and create controversy

And has anyone actually seen Hackett and know his true weight? The same roster had Sprinkle at 240#, and both he and Bielema said he was over 250#.

The NewEra

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 25, 2016, 10:34:55 am
Man that guy is setting up the perfect story isn't he?  I think we have all thought he could be something since he signed and saw some early promise from him.  He seems to be one of the kids that didn't get it early on but The Bielema Way worked on him and should pay great dividends.  I am hoping for big things from him just as much Williams coming off that neck injury.

You have to be proud for Ramsey.  His 4.0 last semester had to feel great.  Talk about a young man taking great strides forward!!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 27, 2016, 07:52:07 am
No.
I understood his point.

I don't know.

Nevermind.

You continue to miss his point.  But, whatever.

In CFB you don't have to have prototypical size in every player to put a great team on the field. 

Having said that, there's no question CBB/staff are have made progress in improving the size and speed of our team.  The overall talent gap between our team and the PTB is decreasing.  If you don't see that, you're not paying close enough attention.

But, in reality, it's doubtful we ever put teams on the field that will 100% match or exceed the athletic size and talent that Bama, or LSU, or even Auburn puts on the field.  Surely you don't expect that to happen, do you?

Sooooooo, that means we have to find the Jerico Nelson's of the world who are great LITTLE players. 

Is that such a bad thing anyway?  IMO part of being a Hog fan is rooting for the underdog we've always been and probably always will be.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on July 27, 2016, 09:14:33 am
And has anyone actually seen Hackett and know his true weight? The same roster had Sprinkle at 240#, and both he and Bielema said he was over 250#.

No we haven't. I'm referring to Benny spewing names like Wilson and BA, adams. And wright and so on.  He made a list of offensive skilled players to try and prove his point and it really didn't work. No one ever criticisized Wilson or Allen for size or hands until the nfl. No one ever said Joe or Jarius were too small, till the nfl. Mallett was one that we wondered if his height might hurt his durability but it never really did.

He mentioned bua, who is a once in generation type player. He played with wreck less abomdament we wish we had year in and year out at lb.  Nelson often proved he was too small to be in the front 7, but the guy never lacked effort. Hackett is much bigger than Nelson or even bua so not sure why those two are even being compared to Hackett.

Hackett was a big safety out of high school and Randy Shannon thought with a weight program he could grow into a great coverage lb but still big enough to play the position correctly.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 27, 2016, 09:40:32 am
No we haven't. I'm referring to Benny spewing names like Wilson and BA, adams. And wright and so on.  He made a list of offensive skilled players to try and prove his point and it really didn't work. No one ever criticisized Wilson or Allen for size or hands until the nfl. No one ever said Joe or Jarius were too small, till the nfl. Mallett was one that we wondered if his height might hurt his durability but it never really did.

He mentioned bua, who is a once in generation type player. He played with wreck less abomdament we wish we had year in and year out at lb.  Nelson often proved he was too small to be in the front 7, but the guy never lacked effort. Hackett is much bigger than Nelson or even bua so not sure why those two are even being compared to Hackett.

Hackett was a big safety out of high school and Randy Shannon thought with a weight program he could grow into a great coverage lb but still big enough to play the position correctly.

BennyjustBennying.....

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 27, 2016, 09:30:15 am
You continue to miss his point.  But, whatever.

In CFB you don't have to have prototypical size in every player to put a great team on the field. 

Having said that, there's no question CBB/staff are have made progress in improving the size and speed of our team.  The overall talent gap between our team and the PTB is decreasing.  If you don't see that, you're not paying close enough attention.

But, in reality, it's doubtful we ever put teams on the field that will 100% match or exceed the athletic size and talent that Bama, or LSU, or even Auburn puts on the field.  Surely you don't expect that to happen, do you?

Sooooooo, that means we have to find the Jerico Nelson's of the world who are great LITTLE players. 

Is that such a bad thing anyway?  IMO part of being a Hog fan is rooting for the underdog we've always been and probably always will be.

Agree.
Until BB came along though, we frequently had mismatched players.

Now, not so much.
BB's done an excellent job of building depth.

And we have fairly consistently been light at LB since joining the SEC.

Getting the occasional undersized player isn't so bad, but I'm hoping it's much rarer than in years past, and it certainly seems to be so with BB.

EDIT:
I don't think I missed his point.
He made it seem I was opposed to EVER  having an undersized player.
He also used some examples that didn't really work, like Mallett and Tyler, but who cares.  I don't want to spend anymore time on the small points.
His response to me:

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 27, 2016, 09:40:32 am

Via was good but I don't know about "once in a generation" aside from the statistic anomaly sometimes referred to as "the Bua effect." All that aside, I don't know that I would ever characterize Bua's play as "wreck less" I can think of a few on field wrecks I wish he would have "abandoned" before they started.

The one at Florida jumps to mind.