Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cedric Cobbs not in a good place

Started by bigpigpimpin, July 23, 2016, 09:56:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

Was busted for dealing drugs, and faced up to 4 years in jail. However, he avoided jail time because he supposedly has a traumatic brain injury from football. He is receiving impatient treatment for chronic traumatic encephalopathy. This is associated with repeated brain injuries, and results with depression, memory loss, and progressive dementia. There was no opposition of this from the prosecution, so this must be true.

I hope that Cedric can get help.

pigture perfect

It sure would answer a lot of questions about why he's been in trouble with the law.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

CampuspostmanHOG

He called the Campus Post Office a couple of years ago looking for a package. It was very clear he was a confused fellow.

Hogeration

I would suspect that his biggest issue is his addiction.  CTE may have played a role in getting him to that point but the addiction took over.  If he works the program and really begins to help people as he stated in the article, his disease will become a blessing and gift to help others. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 23, 2016, 10:03:35 pm
It sure would answer a lot of questions about why he's been in trouble with the law.

Can you blame his drug use on his football days of taking licks or just an excuse for his weakness to drugs.  hard to prove but I really have my doubts.  Really easy to get psychologist as a expert witness and who is the wiser but no doubt he needs our prayers and he needs help. 

I can now see lots of drug users blaming something in life for his or her drug use and no one held responsible for their actions.  Sometimes we need to quit blaming our past circumstances and get in charge of our actions.

PorkRinds

I think the treatment would work better if it was patient instead of impatient.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 24, 2016, 09:20:47 am

:)  +1

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

#4 was also one of my favs.  Sad to see anyone struggle with this illness.  I hope he gets the help he needs.  It's never too late as long as you're alive. 

hoglady

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 24, 2016, 08:26:30 am
Can you blame his drug use on his football days of taking licks or just an excuse for his weakness to drugs.  hard to prove but I really have my doubts.  Really easy to get psychologist as a expert witness and who is the wiser but no doubt he needs our prayers and he needs help. 

I can now see lots of drug users blaming something in life for his or her drug use and no one held responsible for their actions.  Sometimes we need to quit blaming our past circumstances and get in charge of our actions.

To me that depends on how many drugs he was given while recovering from injuries. Many times that how it all gets started.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Jackrabbit Hog

That's a pretty blunt statement.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BPsTheMan

football head trauma made him deal drugs?

yeah, that's a big pile of BS right there

BPsTheMan

He needs help and prayers? Okay, I'm fine with that, but what about the people he's aided in becoming drug addicts?

3kgthog

How'd his lawyer pull that off? CTE can't be diagnosed until after death.

phadedhawg

I will always remember his touchdown against UNLV.  It was the first game I brought my father to.  Crappy performance for most of the day but Cobb breaking that tackle near the goalline made the day.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 26, 2016, 11:14:05 am

Of course it is.  How many here played ball years ago when your coach fitted you with your helmet by sticking it on your head, jerking the face mask from side to side and if the face mask didn't turn all the way to your ear he called it a fit?  There was no such thing as concussions, it was called getting "your bell rung" and you went back to practice.    I loved to watch Cobbs play but saying head trauma led him to make the decisions he's made is a crock. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogcard1964

Quote from: phadedhawg on July 26, 2016, 11:45:57 am
I will always remember his touchdown against UNLV.  It was the first game I brought my father to.  Crappy performance for most of the day but Cobb breaking that tackle near the goalline made the day.

Excellent football player. Human being? not so much.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 26, 2016, 12:15:38 pm
Of course it is.  How many here played ball years ago when your coach fitted you with your helmet by sticking it on your head, jerking the face mask from side to side and if the face mask didn't turn all the way to your ear he called it a fit?  There was no such thing as concussions, it was called getting "your bell rung" and you went back to practice.    I loved to watch Cobbs play but saying head trauma led him to make the decisions he's made is a crock.

yup

I played up to age 22 and got my head bashed in the entire way

I'm not a drug dealer

Murr

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 26, 2016, 01:05:14 pm
yup

I'm not a drug dealer

The great Marilyn Manson said it best, "I don't like the drugs, but the drugs like me."

Besides Harry, you still get ur head bashed in at the tavern.

Iwastherein1969

couldn't agree more....this opioid paranoia going around the nation now is a sad thing...sad for two reasons, 1) it is an addictive drug and those who use it in a recreational manner should be prosecuted heavily, but 2) and this is much worse, is that hydrocodone, when used properly is a wonder drug...it gives people who have chronic pain and must live with it a second lease on living a normal life..furthermore, physicians have cut way back in prescribing the drug because of the "doctor shoppers" and drug seekers, but all this does is make life difficult for those who genuinely need the medication...think about it, you get the beginnings of MS, where severe pain accompanies the muscle spasms and lack of muscle elasticity...the doctor prescribes strong anti-inflammatories which only lead to kidney and liver damage without curbing the pain...the FEDS have good and honest physicians so afraid to prescribe opioids that people who shouldn't have to live in pain daily must do so...summing this up, the drug's efficacy is perfect for chronic pain sufferers and those who use them as they are prescribed, but people who are just looking for a buzz and over dose has caused an overreaction from the DEA and the people who need it can't get it and the people who abuse and don't the meds buy it on the street....its a sad situation for everyone concerned...the FEDS need to allow physicians to prescribe the meds needed by the individual patient....it shouldn't take long to weed out the drug seekers

ad: as for Cedric, I hope he turns his life around because everyone deserves a second, third and fourth chance as long as they hurt no one else
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

longpig

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 27, 2016, 09:11:11 pm
couldn't agree more....this opioid paranoia going around the nation now is a sad thing...sad for two reasons, 1) it is an addictive drug and those who use it in a recreational manner should be prosecuted heavily, but 2) and this is much worse, is that hydrocodone, when used properly is a wonder drug...it gives people who have chronic pain and must live with it a second lease on living a normal life..furthermore, physicians have cut way back in prescribing the drug because of the "doctor shoppers" and drug seekers, but all this does is make life difficult for those who genuinely need the medication...think about it, you get the beginnings of MS, where severe pain accompanies the muscle spasms and lack of muscle elasticity...the doctor prescribes strong anti-inflammatories which only lead to kidney and liver damage without curbing the pain...the FEDS have good and honest physicians so afraid to prescribe opioids that people who shouldn't have to live in pain daily must do so...summing this up, the drug's efficacy is perfect for chronic pain sufferers and those who use them as they are prescribed, but people who are just looking for a buzz and over dose has caused an overreaction from the DEA and the people who need it can't get it and the people who abuse and don't the meds buy it on the street....its a sad situation for everyone concerned...the FEDS need to allow physicians to prescribe the meds needed by the individual patient....it shouldn't take long to weed out the drug seekers

ad: as for Cedric, I hope he turns his life around because everyone deserves a second, third and fourth chance as long as they hurt no one else

So you want to prosecute heavily after the 4th chance?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Iwastherein1969

What I'm saying is that sitting in jail, where drugs are abundant and education of drugs falls woefully short, yes, the user should be cut slack. Let me make this specific, the illegal user, not the people who suffer in silence every day who are prescribed the medication. The jails are full of people who use illegal drugs and it rehabilitates no one. JMHO and I am conservative GOP kind of guy.

ad: the sellers and dealers are the one's who should get the harsh penalties
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Amityvillehogger

C4 will always be one of my favorite Hogs. Hope he gets help before it's too late.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

longpig

yup

I'm not a drug dealer

Congratulations on your thick skull.
Don't be scared, be smart.

goodguytex

yup

I'm not a drug dealer
That does explain a lot though... ;) ;D

goodguytex

The Kig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 25, 2016, 08:48:05 pm
That's a pretty blunt statement.

Probably not as intended... the OP misspoke in using the term IMpatient vs. INpatient.
Poker Porker

cosmodrum

Couple judgmental buttholes up in here 
Go away, batin'

hvsupastar

Quote from: Hogeration on July 24, 2016, 08:17:24 am
I would suspect that his biggest issue is his addiction.  CTE may have played a role in getting him to that point but the addiction took over.  If he works the program and really begins to help people as he stated in the article, his disease will become a blessing and gift to help others. 

I would be interested in the statistics of death totals of CTE that aren't intertwined with drug addiction. 
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

ThisTeetsTaken

I'll never forget his games against Texas in the Cotton Bowl his freshman year and against Bama his last year here. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hoglady

I've been around Cedric a number of times when he was in high school - my daughter went to school with him.
He was just a quiet, nice, respectful kid that stayed out of trouble.
Worked part time while playing football and a number of other sports.
This is just like looking at a different person.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: The Kig on July 28, 2016, 11:39:09 am
Probably not as intended... the OP misspoke in using the term IMpatient vs. INpatient.

You obviously aren't familiar with JRH's famous wit.  This should help.

http://www.smokingwithstyle.com/pot-etiquette/joint-etiquette/rolling-blunts/

DeltaBoy

Prayers sent for the Texas Cotton Bowl Killer C-4  Y2K baby.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 28, 2016, 11:43:33 am
Couple judgmental buttholes up in here

as usual you lead with the mouth before thinking

DownTownHawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 01, 2016, 03:50:51 pm
Prayers sent for the Texas Cotton Bowl Killer C-4  Y2K baby.

From me too . A lot a people Pullin for him .

sickboy

This stuff is sad. The traumatic blows to the head are serious.

In case anyone didn't know, former Auburn running back and current Los Angeles Ram, Tre Mason, is currently missing and family are worried for his safety and fear CTE.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/08/tre_mason_threatened_to_call_w.html

LZH

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 27, 2016, 09:11:11 pm

This 100%.

AugustaHog

I don't doubt that this could be the culprit for depression and other psychological issues.  Certainly, drugs can be an outlet for people seeking to fill a void.  Obviously we are still learning about this disease and its effects.  It would be very premature to say that anything with CTE is off limits.  From what I have read, it seems to change the very fiber of a person's being.  They start doing irrational things, even treating family members differently.  As a poster stated above, you can't definitively diagnose this with a live patient.  I'm sure he has symptoms and I hope they treat them.  Hopefully, whether legit or not, he uses this opportunity to improve his life and make better decisions.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 26, 2016, 11:14:05 am

Dean Weber called Cobb's shoulder injury the worst he'd ever seen. 3rd degree separation, torn rotator cuff, screwed up his labrum. Dean Weber also got busted at Arkansas for being way too heavy handed along with poor record keeping of narcotic pain killers for injured players. It is not uncommon for people that suffer severe injury to develop a dependency on narcotic pain relievers. It is not uncommon for people that have a dependency on expensive narcotic pain killers to sell them to afford their own habit. Does a possible brain injury turn someone into a drug dealer? No, probably not. But he has had enough circumstance that I would rather see them try to help him than flush him into the prison system.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

bolo1010

Ima pray for him.  He was one of my favorites coming out of highschool.  I still have newspaper clippings of him somewhere.  Prayers for C4

Pork Twain

Long-term drug use and poor life choices could also lead to the issues he is facing.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bennyl08

Several of the posts in here are very indicative of why we have the poor mental health culture that we do. A person can not mentally will their brain to a different chemistry and more than they can will their way to a healed achilles tear. I mean, can you just think really hard about being drunk and suddenly, your body chemistry is now different and you are drunk? If you can, stay away from black vans and helicopters because you have an awesome mutation, but most of us can't.

Different chemicals in the brain can greatly change the way you behave, much less when your brain has been physically rearranged due to CTE.

Now, that doesn't mean that a person is absolved from the consequences of their actions. However, one needs to know the causation of those actions to best come up with the consequences. A person chooses to consume alcohol and does something bad? Chances are their punishment is less than a sober person who did the same thing and tailored to them no longer consuming alcohol in such a way as to change their actions that much again.

Somebody with a mental disorder whose personality is modified not of their choosing, if they go out and do something bad, it may not be truly that person's will to do that, but was influenced by some disease, but since they have no control over the disease, then their consequences will revolve around being able to control their disease.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse