Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tackling

Started by jackflash, July 23, 2016, 07:33:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jackflash

This is the area I hope the Hogs improve on. If we can do this I think our defense will make major improvement in SEC play

ricepig

Are you hoping we recruit some improved tacklers?

JaketheSnake

Two years ago we were excellent tacklers.  Or at least vastly improved from what we had been used to.  Last year we broke in a lot of new talent and the tackling went down.  We should see it be much improved this year bc of what we are returning.

JIHawg

The Ole Miss game was nightmarish, re tackling.  We have to tackle that qb this year.  He can't be that hard to get down.  I hope the defense devotes practices to just tackling him when we play them.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: JIHawg on July 23, 2016, 08:44:40 pm
The Ole Miss game was nightmarish, re tackling.  We have to tackle that qb this year.  He can't be that hard to get down.  I hope the defense devotes practices to just tackling him when we play them.
Yeah I just finished watching their drive to open up the 3rd and that drive was horrible at least 6 missed tackles and sacks on that one drive. We probably lead 17-7 at the half if not for missed tackles.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on July 23, 2016, 07:36:24 pm
Are you hoping we recruit some improved tacklers?

Why are you seemingly implying we must recruit improved tacklers to improve our tackling?

factchecker

July 24, 2016, 01:17:48 am #6 Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:57:02 am by factchecker
Quote from: onebadrubi on July 24, 2016, 12:45:55 am
Why are you seemingly implying we must recruit improved tacklers to improve our tackling?

This thread originated (for some unknown reason) on the recruiting board.  This is why Rice asked the question.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JIHawg on July 23, 2016, 08:44:40 pm

Which teams that played old misses did a good job tackling him?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2016, 06:53:22 am
Which teams that played old misses did a good job tackling him?
Florida
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

nwahogfan1

Quote from: jackflash on July 23, 2016, 07:33:51 pm
This is the area I hope the Hogs improve on. If we can do this I think our defense will make major improvement in SEC play

I agree.  I don't know how we are taught to tackle but I see so many DBs  all over the country wanting to deliver the big knock out lick and miss when a good old fashion wrap up and put the ball carrier on the ground would work.  Is it wanting to be on ESPN that makes them want to crush the ball carrier?   Plus you will not have to use your head which causes head trama on a wrap up.  I just want the guy on the ground myself.

onebadrubi

Quote from: factchecker on July 24, 2016, 01:17:48 am
This thread originated (for some unknown reason) on the recruiting board.  This is why Rice asked the question.

Ah makes sense!

bphi11ips

Tackling is on its way out.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hoggish1

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 24, 2016, 08:31:59 am
I agree.  I don't know how we are taught to tackle but I see so many DBs  all over the country wanting to deliver the big knock out lick and miss when a good old fashion wrap up and put the ball carrier on the ground would work. 

^ statement is spot on.  The object of tackling is simply to get the ball carrier on the ground as quickly and efficiently as possible.  Period.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 24, 2016, 09:59:24 am
^ statement is spot on.  The object of tackling is simply to get the ball carrier on the ground as quickly and efficiently as possible.  Period.

I agree, don't worry about being "flashy" or making the highlight reel with a big hit, just be efficient, wrap up, take the guy down. Go low, he might step out of it, go high, he might over power you, get the middle and wrap up, he isn't going anywhere and you have stolen his momentum from him.
Go Hogs Go!

jackflash

I see some schools are going to the Rugby type of tackling the say it safer. Right now Ohio State and Seattle of the NFL are the only ones I can remember. I wonder would this work for Arkansas

theFlyingHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 24, 2016, 10:15:59 am
I agree, don't worry about being "flashy" or making the highlight reel with a big hit, just be efficient, wrap up, take the guy down. Go low, he might step out of it, go high, he might over power you, get the middle and wrap up, he isn't going anywhere and you have stolen his momentum from him.
And those big hits get flags thrown and they'll kick you out.

onebadrubi

Quote from: theFlyingHog on July 24, 2016, 12:09:44 pm
And those big hits get flags thrown and they'll kick you out.

Tyler Wilson says BS! 

bennyl08

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 24, 2016, 08:31:59 am
I agree.  I don't know how we are taught to tackle but I see so many DBs  all over the country wanting to deliver the big knock out lick and miss when a good old fashion wrap up and put the ball carrier on the ground would work.  Is it wanting to be on ESPN that makes them want to crush the ball carrier?   Plus you will not have to use your head which causes head trama on a wrap up.  I just want the guy on the ground myself.

I'd say there are many possible motivations. For a DB in particular, if they weren't in position to defend the completion while the ball is in the air, they may not be looking to get on ESPN, but instead, are still trying to defend the pass by hitting the receiver hard just after they touch it. At that point, it becomes a question of risk/reward. Risk: you mistime it and get a penalty, you time it well but have bad technique and get injured or draw a targeting penalty, or, you don't make the tackle and there might not be anybody else nearby. Rewards: you cause an incompletion, you cause a fumble, you get in the players head and the rest of the game they want to know where you are.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse