Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O-VER-RATE-ED...

Started by hogfan_no1, July 22, 2016, 06:46:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan_no1

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

bigdaddyhawg

I like the way they did this -- didn't just pull stuff out of his rear, but based his poll on some numbers.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

East TN HAWG

Good article.  I expected Texas to be number one.  I'm surprised they weren't.

Hog Waller

It is a good article, but I agree with the OP...How is ND not on the list?  With the exception of maybe a couple of years, it has amazed me how ND starts the season hyped up and in the Top 10, only to fizzle early with a couple of really bad losses.  I would argue that LSU should not be on the list, rather ND should replace them.

hogsanity

People still get caught up in the mystique of ND. We just got back from a visit there with my son, who is looking at colleges, and it is really hard once you are there to separate the reality of today from all the things you have heard and know about ND. All the famous alums, the huge games in the stadium, Touchdown Jesus, etc. They did not even do more than mention the football team, explaining how student tickets work for football, and yet even that was exciting. And the stadium is right there, not more than a 10 minute walk from anywhere on campus. Didn't hurt either that at 2pm on July 19th it was only about 82 degrees either. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on July 22, 2016, 09:04:35 am
People still get caught up in the mystique of ND. We just got back from a visit there with my son, who is looking at colleges, and it is really hard once you are there to separate the reality of today from all the things you have heard and know about ND. All the famous alums, the huge games in the stadium, Touchdown Jesus, etc. They did not even do more than mention the football team, explaining how student tickets work for football, and yet even that was exciting. And the stadium is right there, not more than a 10 minute walk from anywhere on campus. Didn't hurt either that at 2pm on July 19th it was only about 82 degrees either. 

Go up to there in January or Feb,  when you are actually in class, haha.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2016, 09:07:33 am
Go up to there in January or Feb,  when you are actually in class, haha.

Oh they mentioned the winters 2 or 3 times. The 1st picture we saw in the room where they did the presentation was of the campus covered in what looked like about 2 feet of snow.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razoredge178

Southern Cal could've been on that list.

hogfan_no1

Quote from: razoredge178 on July 22, 2016, 09:18:33 am

Actually, Southern Cal is on the list.  Came in at #2, right behind #1 Georgia as the most overrated team in college football.
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

hogsanity

A lot of the overrated issue comes from doing preseason rankings at all. How do you rank teams before anyone has played or before practices even start? Only way to do it really is on past season performance, and what type of players are on the team. The teams mentioned, more often than not, have good to great seasons the year prior, plus many of them have highly rated recruiting classes year after year, so it is easy to rank them highly before anyone plays.

Wonder how different the list would have been if teams were not rated until October 1st?

bphi11ips

Quote from: razoredge178 on July 22, 2016, 09:18:33 am

They were number two.

Would be interesting to see the reverse analysis.  Which teams most exceeded expectations.  2010 would help the Razorbacks.  Maybe other years.  Conference finishes versus preseason prognostications may be a good way to approach the question.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

Good to see it quantified in some way.  A decade goes by fast.  Probably why some of these brands held such esteem with pollsters still. 

IMO, VT has been the biggest overrated fraud in college football since the Vick season.  But this realization has started to creep in over recent years and it is probably why they manage to only be 10th in this list over the last decade.

When VY won Texas the NC, this made UGa the biggest underachievers in college football. 

Nebraska is the biggest has been program on the list.  With their brand faded, not sure what could put them back where they once were.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hog Waller on July 22, 2016, 08:44:45 am
It is a good article, but I agree with the OP...How is ND not on the list?  With the exception of maybe a couple of years, it has amazed me how ND starts the season hyped up and in the Top 10, only to fizzle early with a couple of really bad losses.  I would argue that LSU should not be on the list, rather ND should replace them.

The list is not subjective, it's objective.  They compared where they were predicted to finish to how they finished and came up with a composite number.

Does that help?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

go hogues

Seems like Auburn and Texas always start the season in the top 25. Both have been overrated more than not over the last 15 years or so.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hog Waller on July 22, 2016, 08:44:45 am
probably because they are so consistently over hyped they are still ranked after losing.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Razorbacker79

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 22, 2016, 09:27:50 am
They were number two.

Would be interesting to see the reverse analysis.  Which teams most exceeded expectations.  2010 would help the Razorbacks.  Maybe other years.  Conference finishes versus preseason prognostications may be a good way to approach the question.
http://thebiglead.com/2016/07/22/ranking-the-most-underrated-college-football-programs-of-last-decade/

But they stuck with comparing national preseason rankings with postseason results.  I don't think the two good years under BP were enough.  As impressive as the improvement in conference record was in 2015 for us, it's still not what they were looking at, and it was one season.  But I agree with what you've been posting--I think this year we'll be way under-rated and I hope it begins a more impressive upward trend--just got to win those OOC games.
Turn up that damn jukebox!!

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: hogsanity on July 22, 2016, 09:24:25 am
A lot of the overrated issue comes from doing preseason rankings at all. How do you rank teams before anyone has played or before practices even start? Only way to do it really is on past season performance, and what type of players are on the team. The teams mentioned, more often than not, have good to great seasons the year prior, plus many of them have highly rated recruiting classes year after year, so it is easy to rank them highly before anyone plays.

Wonder how different the list would have been if teams were not rated until October 1st?
That about sums it up.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Laughing Hog

Surely, Notre Dame must have it's own article about being THE MOST O-VER-RATED team of the last 40 years.
It's the only explanation for them not being at the top of this list! It's one of the main reasons I hate them almost as much as I hate the whorns.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on July 22, 2016, 09:04:35 am

Of course they failed to mention the constant below freezing weather and large amounts of frozen precipitation for three straight months while your son would have to walk to class, etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

nationwish

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 23, 2016, 08:09:23 am
Of course they failed to mention the constant below freezing weather and large amounts of frozen precipitation for three straight months while your son would have to walk to class, etc.

Three months? I go to South Bend for a week every spring for a client, and it snows well into April. I think this year the weather here in Tulsa was maybe in the 70s and there it snowed every day, with Friday being the worst.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Laughing Hog on July 23, 2016, 06:15:43 am
Surely, Notre Dame must have it's own article about being THE MOST O-VER-RATED team of the last 40 years.
It's the only explanation for them not being at the top of this list! It's one of the main reasons I hate them almost as much as I hate the whorns.
you and I agree. Summed up well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Arazorbackguy1

Richt will turn around that Miami program.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on July 23, 2016, 11:15:54 pm
Richt will turn around that Miami program.

Maybe. If he stays awhile and stops choking in big games. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jacobp

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 23, 2016, 08:09:23 am
Yeah Jan-March can be pretty tough. But they do a FANTASTIC Job up here of clearing the roads and sidewalks

Lake City Hog

If I told you that we could have a coach that would give us an average of 9.6 wins per year for 15 straight years and win or tie for the division championship 6 times during that span, what would you say?
Now, please remember that during that 15 years our conference won 9 National Championships. So this guy might not ever win an NC, but he would challenge for 1 every 4 to 6 years.

Sorry, but I would take a coach like that in a heartbeat.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Lake City Hog on July 24, 2016, 03:21:59 pm
If I told you that we could have a coach that would give us an average of 9.6 wins per year for 15 straight years and win or tie for the division championship 6 times during that span, what would you say?
Now, please remember that during that 15 years our conference won 9 National Championships. So this guy might not ever win an NC, but he would challenge for 1 every 4 to 6 years.

Sorry, but I would take a coach like that in a heartbeat.

Peoples complaint though were he never could win the big game. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 24, 2016, 03:44:20 pm
Peoples complaint though were he never could win the big game. 

Not totally true. Peoples complaints were also that he had some of the top classes every single year and losing to teams he shouldn't lose to. 

If my school was bringing in top 5 and top 10 classes every single year and still couldn't win the sec when Alabama and lsu are both down then yes he should be gone.  Both Tennessee and Florida have not been very good the last few years and instead of winning the east he was losing it to south carolina and Missouri.  Seriously. The guy is a good guy, great recruiter, but an slightly above average coach. 

If my coach was averaging that type of success AT Arkansas then heck yeah I would love that.  He was at Georgia though where recruiting is a lot easier than it is at Arkansas. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?