Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big 12 to Begin Exploring Expansion Candidates

Started by Adam Stokes, July 19, 2016, 10:57:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GuvHog on July 20, 2016, 12:51:12 pm
I believe A&M bolting for the SEC has hurt the Horns more than TCU or Baylor.
Correct !
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

GuvHog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 20, 2016, 12:51:54 pm
Correct !

The Horns knew A&M would surpass them in recruiting if the Aggies jumped to the SEC and they also know they will become an afterthought recruiting wise in North Texas if the Oklahoma Schools make that same move so they are frightened by that possibility.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

AirWarren

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 20, 2016, 12:39:46 pm
Nebraska has never really fit into the Big 10-14 (whatever they are).  Any chance they move back?

I disagree. I think Nebraska fits in perfectly with the Big 10. They and TAMU leaving put the nail in the coffin of that conference.

Arkansas state
Memphis
southern miss
Tulsa

These could be "decent" fits for that stupid conference.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GuvHog on July 20, 2016, 12:56:54 pm
The Horns knew A&M would surpass them in recruiting if the Aggies jumped to the SEC and they also know they will become an afterthought recruiting wise in North Texas if the Oklahoma Schools make that same move so they are frightened by that possibility.
Actually who I think benefited the most from A&M's jump to the SEC are the rest of the teams in the SEC as this brought live SEC games into the Texas television marketplace (BIG!) and has given premier Texas athletes the chance to see teams from other states that are members of the SEC on a weekly basis.    I think we see that these Texas kids are far more open to visiting and attending out of state schools than they were before A&M jumped to the SEC, because of the weekly exposure on tv and the weakness that they perceive has crept up on A&M and Texas.    I think A&M has become dumpster fire and the negative publicity that their most recent star, Heisman trophy winning athlete has caused hasn't helped it any as their parents are probably thinking at least twice before allowing their kid to commit to A&M.
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Atlhogfan1

What has hurt the Horns is Mack was an avg at best coach.  Great recruiter in his prime but avg coach.  As a result, he allowed the program to get soft and follow the lead of the lesser resourced programs in going to the spread.  It made the entire program soft and brought Texas down.  Instead of building like Bama or LSU and taking advantage of their recruiting ability, they went the way of Baylor or Purdue or Kansas or Ok St.  Stupid. They should crush everyone but OU with physical superiority and depth.  A&M has been as stupid and is soft as a result.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cinco de Hogo

Atlhogfan1

I'll add Texas also was at a point where they selected recruits and selected the wrong ones in some instances.  That softness I mentioned earlier has permeated throughout Texas as we know.  That Todd Dodge/Briles effect.  Texas HS athletes also tend to be very developed in high school compared to other states which results in inflated rankings but they also sometimes seem to have less developing to do to reach their ceiling when in college.  I know this is getting off the Big 12 topic.  I just buy less into the A&M leaving and BU and TCU rising hurting Texas than some.  Texas hurt themselves.  They should operate with little affect from these other programs. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

gawntrail

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 01:28:20 pm
I'll add Texas also was at a point where they selected recruits and selected the wrong ones in some instances.  That softness I mentioned earlier has permeated throughout Texas as we know.  That Todd Dodge/Briles effect.  Texas HS athletes also tend to be very developed in high school compared to other states which results in inflated rankings but they also sometimes seem to have less developing to do to reach their ceiling when in college.  I know this is getting off the Big 12 topic.  I just buy less into the A&M leaving and BU and TCU rising hurting Texas than some.  Texas hurt themselves.  They should operate with little affect from these other programs.

Could you imagine a Norm Chow type OC at UT...?  All that talent to recruit within your reach and a pro style system to feed them in to... I'm glad Texas operates the way it does.  If it smartened up, UT would be a juggernaut.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: gawntrail on July 20, 2016, 02:08:41 pm
Could you imagine a Norm Chow type OC at UT...?  All that talent to recruit within your reach and a pro style system to feed them in to... I'm glad Texas operates the way it does.  If it smartened up, UT would be a juggernaut.

Texas also limits itself because a coach has to be so much more than a football coach.  It is true for many programs.  But Texas has that "white shirt"  image they like to project.  Some talented coaches would be way too independent and strong of personalities for them.  Another reason why they have one VY driven NC in 40+ years.  Image over winning for their head coach choices.  I'm pulling for Strong.  Hate Texas but that program has been such an underachieving waste it has messed up the balance in our region.  Our program doesn't need stronger programs at BU, TCU, TT, Ok St etc.  We compete with them in the region in recruiting. 

bphi11ips

The Big 12 doesn't really have good longterm options.  Oklahoma and Texas are the only true power players in the league.  The others have dragged them down closer to their level since realignment began in earnest after Arkansas left the SWC and the Big 8 and SWC merged.  Adding metropolitan schools only further dilutes conference power and prestige.  To do that for a short term benefit in a nascent playoff situation doesn't make sense.

The better option for Texas and Oklahoma is to petition the SEC, PAC, or B1G for admission and leave the rest scrambling.  The SEC offers the best regional/cultural fit, but it would also be the most difficult conference in which to compete for titles.

I'll predict Big 12 expansion doesn't happen, Oklahoma and Texas bolt, and we wind up sooner than later with four 16-team super conferences.  The rest  of the Big 12 scramble for the remaining slots in the Big 64.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 20, 2016, 12:26:30 pm
Or have academic standards that most of us could meet.  ;)

You'ns speak for y'all'selfs. I's read good and do other things good too.

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 20, 2016, 02:51:26 pm
The Big 12 doesn't really have good longterm options.  Oklahoma and Texas are the only true power players in the league.  The others have dragged them down closer to their level since realignment began in earnest after Arkansas left the SWC and the Big 8 and SWC merged.  Adding metropolitan schools only further dilutes conference power and prestige.  To do that for a short term benefit in a nascent playoff situation doesn't make sense.

The better option for Texas and Oklahoma is to petition the SEC, PAC, or B1G for admission and leave the rest scrambling.  The SEC offers the best regional/cultural fit, but it would also be the most difficult conference in which to compete for titles.

I'll predict Big 12 expansion doesn't happen, Oklahoma and Texas bolt, and we wind up sooner than later with four 16-team super conferences.  The rest  of the Big 12 scramble for the remaining slots in the Big 64.

I agree. I believe Texas will bolt for the PAC 12 and take 3 other Texas universities with them to create a PAC 16 and I addressed where I believe the Oklahoma schools will go earlier in this thread.

BearsBisonsBoars

Bill Snyder is reportedly saying that two former Big 12 schools are wanting to come back.

I figure Colorado has to be one of them. They don't fit the PAC very well culturally and have gotten their skull kicked in every year since they joined.

The other one is a little less certain. Is it Missouri or Nebraska? I seriously doubt it's A&M.

GuvHog

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on July 20, 2016, 03:11:23 pm
Bill Snyder is reportedly saying that two former Big 12 schools are wanting to come back.

I figure Colorado has to be one of them. They don't fit the PAC very well culturally and have gotten their skull kicked in every year since they joined.

The other one is a little less certain. Is it Missouri or Nebraska? I seriously doubt it's A&M.

My guess would be Nebraska. Mizzou seems to be happy in the SEC.

Atlhogfan1

CU's program was already in decline well before they left the Big 12.  Their problem isn't conference affiliation. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on July 20, 2016, 03:11:23 pm

Well, the aggies are used to winning national championships at least every other year, if not more often, so it could be them...

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on July 20, 2016, 03:07:21 pm
I agree. I believe Texas will bolt for the PAC 12 and take 3 other Texas universities with them to create a PAC 16 and I addressed where I believe the Oklahoma schools will go earlier in this thread.

I think someone else above suggested that OU joining the SEC would kill Texas recruiting in North Texas a/k/a The Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex.  There's probably some truth in that.  Texas may want to keep its enemy close in conference affiliation.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogwild

Nebraska has never really fit into the Big 10-14 (whatever they are).  Any chance they move back?

None, the faculty would revolt before they even consider leaving the Big 10.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 03:22:25 pm
CU's program was already in decline well before they left the Big 12.  Their problem isn't conference affiliation.

DSM-Dope Smokers Matter!

That state is a mess of cultural difference worse than the USA as a whole.  I doubt very many of them have time to worry about sports.  Only about 1/2 millions of them would be true Buff fans anyway.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 20, 2016, 09:20:40 am
I don't think it would be tough to convince any G5 school to join except if Boise or BYU think they will get a shot at joining the PAC.

The fact that the Florida schools aren't in the "locks" category tells you the B12 still doesn't quite know what they are doing.  TV markets are huge, both schools are still growing and the conference gets a footprint in Florida so it's not just ratings but recruiting as well, kind of how the SEC got it's foot in the door with Texas A&M.  Don't have to take both but if you do it's built in travel partners as well.  UCF is in the top 10 in enrollment in the US with 60k students.  And if you are a current B12 member where would you rather travel late fall early spring Cincinatti or Orlando.

SEC has always expanded the right way, basically inside out to expand footprint.  B12 couldn't do that in the last round because they just needed warm bodies.  They would be wise to fill in the gaps and go for biggest markets that actually expand the brand.  Sorry but Houston brings nothing to the table except another warm body.  If they add 3 good ones and you want to add Houston as your throw away pick to round it out that's fine. 

One last thing to consider if I was the Big 12.  Right now you are adding just to keep up.  If you really wanted to make a splash and get people talking, don't add 4, add 6.  Become the first P5 conference with 16 teams.  It's a bit daring and risky so of course they won't do it.  Other reason they wouldn't do it is because it would further dilute UT's power in the conference.

USF and UCF are in big markets, but they don't move the needle in those markets.  They're basically supersized FIUs and FAUs.  You get a spot in Florida, alright--a spot that's at least 4th or 5th.  You've already got Texas, which is full of recruits, that's much closer.  The number of Florida recruits you'd add by taking USF and UCF would be pretty small--most of those high D1 recruits are already going to an SEC or ACC school.  Taking them would be a mistake.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2016, 10:52:45 am
UNLV in football? Yep that's laughable.

Certainly no worse historically in football than Memphis, in a bigger TV market, with no pro sports competition, and the basketball's decent. 

Is it really any crazier than USF, or Colorado State, or most of the programs mentioned?  Not really.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 20, 2016, 12:46:23 pm
10 years ago I wouldn't disagree. But 10 years ago I wouldn't have believe that top kids in Texas would pick A&M, Baylor and TCU over Texas. Times have changed and Texas has been hurt by allowing TCU and Baylor being in the Big 12

Not really, at least in terms of sway in the Big 12.  If anything, the defections have increased Texas' position.  Right now, the Big 12 exists because Texas wills it to exist.  That's harsh, but true.  It's the big, rich, flagship school in a state with 25 million people.  TCU, Baylor, and Taco Tech will do what Texas says because they know and Texas knows that if Texas walks and the Big 12 folds, those other schools, and pretty much every school not named Oklahoma, might not have a seat at one of the other conferences.

Texas can pretty much hold that over the smaller schools' heads.  That's why OU can't get any traction any time they come up against Texas on a vote.  The Big 12 can live on without OU, but not without Texas. 

I'm of the opinion that TCU and Baylor can only win at these all-time highs when Texas is down.  Baylor no longer has Briles, and Texas won't suck forever.  At some point, those two programs are going to come down to earth a bit.  May not be a crash, but if Texas gets good again, they won't be able to maintain 10 win seasons with consistency.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: GuvHog on July 20, 2016, 12:56:54 pm

The Oklahoma schools leaving would hurt, but Texas is still the biggest school in Texas.

What would really hurt would be losing the Red River Rivalry, and seeing all of their traditional rivals--Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M--living the high life in the SEC while they're still stuck in college football's trailer park.  The upside is that they'd completely own that trailer park.

Inhogswetrust

Maybe when hell freezes over.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 01:13:27 pm
What has hurt the Horns is Mack was an avg at best coach.  Great recruiter in his prime but avg coach.  As a result, he allowed the program to get soft and follow the lead of the lesser resourced programs in going to the spread.  It made the entire program soft and brought Texas down.  Instead of building like Bama or LSU and taking advantage of their recruiting ability, they went the way of Baylor or Purdue or Kansas or Ok St.  Stupid. They should crush everyone but OU with physical superiority and depth.  A&M has been as stupid and is soft as a result.

Mack was a good CEO coach who had great assistants.  When those assistants left, the program started downhill.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AP85 on July 20, 2016, 01:05:30 pm
I disagree. I think Nebraska fits in perfectly with the Big 10. They and TAMU leaving put the nail in the coffin of that conference.

Arkansas state
Memphis
southern miss
Tulsa

These could be "decent" fits for that stupid conference.

Only one of those choices is even halfway decent.............Memphis.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 20, 2016, 03:50:53 pm
Mack was a good CEO coach who had great assistants.  When those assistants left, the program started downhill.

Agreed. Mack was a great face of the Texas program and filled the role they wanted well. 

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 20, 2016, 03:34:32 pm
DSM-Dope Smokers Matter!

That state is a mess of cultural difference worse than the USA as a whole.  I doubt very many of them have time to worry about sports.  Only about 1/2 millions of them would be true Buff fans anyway.

CU fits in very well with the West Coasters.  Lots of transplants have moved to Colorado.  And their fan base's passion fits in with some of the Pac 12's more laid back attitude as well.  They haven't recovered from the Barnett incidents and drama.  With no recruiting base, they need a strong brand to go out and get players.  Hawkins couldn't win there after Barnett and they've just never been able to recover. 

factchecker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2016, 03:52:50 pm
Only one of those choices is even halfway decent.............Memphis.

I agree.  Memphis is in a good TV market. The city is built to host visitors.

They play in a good stadium (Liberty Bowl) with sufficient capacity. They average a respectable attendance (43,802 for 2015).
I'm not sure how well their fans travel.  They also have a historically good basketball program.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Atlhogfan1

July 20, 2016, 04:28:12 pm #79 Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:39:45 pm by Atlhogfan1
Athletic Dept revenue of the public universities
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

2. Texas $183 million Revenue Expenses $173 million

Texas   Big 12 $183,521,028 $173,248,133 $0  0.00
Oklahoma   Big 12 $134,269,349 $123,017,251 $0  0.00
Oklahoma State   Big 12 $95,931,739 $93,144,396 $7,795,211  8.13
Kansas   Big 12 $91,860,673 $92,207,877 $1,960,129  2.13
West Virginia   Big 12 $90,523,565 $87,265,473 $4,403,165  4.86
Texas Tech   Big 12 $79,979,481 $76,525,961 $4,261,291  5.33
Kansas State   Big 12 $75,323,278 $67,316,209 $862,680  1.15
Iowa State   Big 12 $75,283,516 $75,209,309 $2,044,400  2.72

Lowest in Big 12: 47th Iowa St $75 million in revenue and expenses, subsidy $2 million

54th Cincy $52.5 million in rev, 51.7 in expenses and $23 million subsidized

Central Florida   AAC $51,455,603 $47,647,475 $24,772,104  48.14

Houston   AAC $44,815,210 $45,437,942 $25,994,014  58.00

Memphis   AAC $43,430,404 $43,287,138 $18,187,902  41.88

Total Subsidy: The sum of students fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money. The NCAA and others consider such funds "allocated" or everything not generated by the department's athletics functions.

The subsidy amounts especially the % to total are ridiculous for these programs.  But they want to try and step up and compete on an even more costly level counting on an increase in revenue.  How much more revenue will they take in and are they still going to take millions from students or public funds to subsidize? 

Memphis is $32 million lower than Iowa State in revenue with an $18 million subsidy.  How much is Fed Ex willing to pump in?  Lets not get into the gap between Texas, OU or Ok St, KU and WV and these city colleges. 

It isn't just about attendance or fan support emotionally.  It takes significant resources to have athl dept's in the major conferences.  Memphis dreams to be Louisville.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 20, 2016, 03:48:46 pm
The Oklahoma schools leaving would hurt, but Texas is still the biggest school in Texas.

What would really hurt would be losing the Red River Rivalry, and seeing all of their traditional rivals--Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M--living the high life in the SEC while they're still stuck in college football's trailer park.  The upside is that they'd completely own that trailer park.

They wouldn't lose the Texas game with OU, that would still be played in Dallas every year as an OOC game. I doubt that anyone in Oklahoma and most in Texas (UT fans) would allow that to go away. Too much tradition. That game was going on the whole time that both teams were in separate conferences (Big Eight/SWC) and it would most likely continue.

Maybe Texas wouldn't attempt to go to the Pac 12 again if OU and OSU left for the SEC, but they might. That would be the one thing that might set them apart from the rest of the Texas schools and perhaps be attractive to recruits.
Go Hogs Go!

Murr

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 20, 2016, 03:30:18 pm
I think someone else above suggested that OU joining the SEC would kill Texas recruiting in North Texas a/k/a The Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex.  There's probably some truth in that.  Texas may want to keep its enemy close in conference affiliation.

I would rather have OU/UT in SEC West than OU/OSU.  If OU left first and without OSU, that might get the UT BMD and AD seriously looking at the SEC.  Might even convince them to convert the LHN into the SEC West network.  I'd be fine with ensuring they get $15M/yr for converting the network over if the SEC can't payout a minimum of $15M per schools with money from two networks.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Murr on July 20, 2016, 04:55:26 pm
I would rather have OU/UT in SEC West than OU/OSU.  If OU left first and without OSU, that might get the UT BMD and AD seriously looking at the SEC.  Might even convince them to convert the LHN into the SEC West network.  I'd be fine with ensuring they get $15M/yr for converting the network over if the SEC can't payout a minimum of $15M per schools with money from two networks.

The SEC could add Texas and OU to the West, and some Arkansas fans would still complain if we didn't win 9-10 games a year.

Atlhogfan1

No more SEC addition especially an OU or Texas.  This conference is ridiculous enough.  We don't need to get stronger or at least add teams who can recruit on a high level.  Bad enough we brought in A&M.  We need college football to be balanced.  And the Horn caused implosion of the Big 12 changed that for the worse. 

The NCAA is not given enough power by its member institutions.  College football needs a strong governing body and one of its first acts should be to get this conference switching under control. 

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 05:08:02 pm
No more SEC addition especially an OU or Texas.  This conference is ridiculous enough.  We don't need to get stronger or at least add teams who can recruit on a high level.  Bad enough we brought in A&M.  We need college football to be balanced.  And the Horn caused implosion of the Big 12 changed that for the worse. 

The NCAA is not given enough power by its member institutions.  College football needs a strong governing body and one of its first acts should be to get this conference switching under control.

I agree completely. SEC dominance is fun and all, but we need the other conferences and it's foolish to pretend that we don't.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on July 20, 2016, 05:10:16 pm
I agree completely. SEC dominance is fun and all, but we need the other conferences and it's foolish to pretend that we don't.

It is beneficial for the SEC to be so successful.  But at some point, we will devour ourselves.  The SECW has come close in recent seasons especially last season if not for our 4th and 25.  OM would have won the West and with that Memphis loss and Fl blowout probably would have left the SEC out of the playoff.  Our program specifically doesn't need another elite recruiting opponent to have to climb over. 

Murr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 05:08:02 pm

If we did pods an 9 conference games with two permanent rivals:
1. OU, UT, Ark(A&M, Ole) Mizz
2. LSU(Ala, Aub), A&M(Ark, UT), Ole, MSU
3. Alabama(Aub, LSU), Vandy, Tenn(UGa, FL), UK
4. Aub(LSU, Ala), UGA(Tenn), FL(Tenn), USC

Arkapigdiesel

It's amazing how big of a joke the Big XII is, in its' current form.  The discussed add-ons will do nothing but reinforce how far the Big XII has fallen.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

HOGGISHABOUTAR

Memphis will be a lock for the same and only reasons that Memphis TN even exists on this planet

FED EX and Fred Smith!

Fred has already guaranteed to sponsor the Big 12 championship game, and believe it or not, they are actually doing some serious upgrades to their practice facilities as we speak.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Murr on July 20, 2016, 06:16:18 pm
If we did pods an 9 conference games with two permanent rivals:
1. OU, UT, Ark(A&M, Ole) Mizz
2. LSU(Ala, Aub), A&M(Ark, UT), Ole, MSU
3. Alabama(Aub, LSU), Vandy, Tenn(UGa, FL), UK
4. Aub(LSU, Ala), UGA(Tenn), FL(Tenn), USC

If OU/Texas came to the SEC I wouldn't even bother with pods, just go to two eight-team divisions and nine conference games (7 divisional + 2 crossover rotated annually). You would have two very geographically and historically balanced divisions, almost like conferences in the pre-expansion era. I think you build and maintain better rivalries that way.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Murr on July 20, 2016, 04:55:26 pm

I'll be shocked (though it wouldn't be the first time) if Oklahoma ever goes anywhere without Oklahoma State. I know, many of you think that the tie between the two isn't as binding as it is, but I really believe that the two will never (in the short term anyway...next 10-20 years) be separated. Package deal, but that isn't all bad.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Adam Stokes

The Big 12 coaches got polled on who they'd want the two school to be.  The results:

5 - BYU
5 - Houston
4 - Cincinnati
4 - Memphis
1 - Central Florida
1 - Colorado St

So there are obviously 4 leaders, it'll be interesting to see how the widdle it down.  Makes you wonder if anyone among the Texas schools voted for Houston, didn't expect them to be that high.

Apparently the AAC also has a 27 month wait & a 10 million dollar buyout, so that can only help BYU & CSU.

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/7/20/12243018/big-12-expansion-byu-houston-favorites-conference-coaches-football

Adam Stokes

Quote from: factchecker on July 21, 2016, 12:02:39 am
BYU fans making bid for lil 12 acceptance:

http://www.byutobig12.com/

Surprised they left Memphis off the list, think it would be good to add UCF as well.  Great website though, BYU is at or near the top of everything.  It think they'd 100% get in if they didn't have to worry about Sunday play.  As a football only their a shoe-in.

JayBell

Quote from: Adam Stokes on July 21, 2016, 05:36:49 amThe Big 12 coaches got polled on who they'd want the two school to be.  The results:

5 - BYU
5 - Houston
4 - Cincinnati
4 - Memphis
1 - Central Florida
1 - Colorado St

So there are obviously 4 leaders, it'll be interesting to see how the widdle it down.  Makes you wonder if anyone among the Texas schools voted for Houston, didn't expect them to be that high.

Apparently the AAC also has a 27 month wait & a 10 million dollar buyout, so that can only help BYU & CSU.

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/7/20/12243018/big-12-expansion-byu-houston-favorites-conference-coaches-football

That is interesting.  Looks like the coaches just want to shore up the competition in the region and move slightly east, but they really don't care about the Florida market we keep hearing about in the media.

NaturalStateReb

There's the possibility here for some major dominoes to fall as a result of what the Big XII is doing.

Let's say that the Big XII takes a couple of teams from the American--could be two of Cincinnati, Memphis, or Tulane. That means that the American is probably going to be looking to C-USA to backfill, who will probably in turn look to the Sunbelt for its own backfilling as it did previously. La Tech is a logical replacement if it's Tulane, and maybe a logical replacement regardless. Marshall/Southern Miss/Western Kentucky/Rice would all be strong backfill candidates.

Conference-USA, now mostly the Sunbelt circa 2010, screwed up realignment so badly the last time that they've been in danger of being passed by the current Sunbelt. They won't make those mistakes again--they'll take two of Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, and/or Troy. Right now, the Sunbelt is set to have less than 12 football playing schools starting in 2017--what's left over after the Red Wolves, Warhawks, and Trojans leave might not be enough to keep the Sun Belt going. Suddenly kicking Idaho and New Mexico State out might not look as smart.

Speaking of, what if the Big XII poaches the Mountain West? The MWC will have even fewer backfilling options than either the American or C-USA: it's pretty much the Sunbelt or bust. They could rescue Idaho and New Mexico State (Idaho announced it was dropping down to the FCS Big Sky for football), or they could pick up Texas-Arlington and/or Texas State. They could even take all four, but it's hard to imagine Boise being stoked about saving Idaho from it's relegation, the Texas schools are far away, and New Mexico State wouldn't be a great replacement for New Mexico, although the addition of an in-state rivarly game wouldn't hurt the MWC. The loss of one or both Texas teams would hurt the Sunbelt, but not fatally wound it.

Hogwild

I read an interesting article over on CBS, that the Big 12 isn't entirely sold on expansion. Some Big 12 schools just want to see how much FOX/ESPN will pay them not to expand. 

The current language in the contract say the Big 12 doesnt have to split their current TV payout with them. Instead ESPN/FOX have to pay an additional amount to cover full shares for the expanded teams only.  So if the Big 12 adds two teams the payout increases by 20%, or 40% with the addition of 4 teams.  Adding any two schools on the list wouldn't be cost favorable to FOX/ESPN, so instead they might just pay the conference 10% more not to expand.

However if the BIG 12 goes the football only route, very likely with BYU, it basically cost neutral for the conference.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hogwild on July 21, 2016, 10:45:24 am
I read an interesting article over on CBS, that the Big 12 isn't entirely sold on expansion. Some Big 12 schools just want to see how much FOX/ESPN will pay them not to expand. 

The current language in the contract say the Big 12 doesnt have to split their current TV payout with them. Instead ESPN/FOX have to pay an additional amount to cover full shares for the expanded teams only.  So if the Big 12 adds two teams the payout increases by 20%, or 40% with the addition of 4 teams.  Adding any two schools on the list wouldn't be cost favorable to FOX/ESPN, so instead they might just pay the conference 10% more not to expand.

However if the BIG 12 goes the football only route, very likely with BYU, it basically cost neutral for the conference.

There's a theory out there that the Big 12 is using this as a ploy to get a network.  Considering how badly the Big 12 has bungled realignment, it's hard to imagine them doing something that clever.

Hogwild

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 21, 2016, 10:51:06 am
There's a theory out there that the Big 12 is using this as a ploy to get a network.  Considering how badly the Big 12 has bungled realignment, it's hard to imagine them doing something that clever.

Their (Big 12) leadership has been terrible.  Texas has been going through ADs like we go through basketball coaches. 

Oklahoma president David Boren has been stating how he wanted Louisville instead of West Virginia saying how big of a mistake it was.

The other two members of the expansion committee set up in January, Ken Starr (who was opposed) and Gordan Gee (wants a traveling buddy for WVU).  If you don't remember who Gee is, he folded Vandy's athletic department into intramural sport department, before heading to Ohio State.  Gee was eventually let go at Ohio State for running his mouth a lot, 1) took a shot a TCU for playing a little sister of the poor schedule 2) made anti Catholic remarks when the Big 10 was trying to get Notre Dame 3) took numerous digs at Coach Bielema 
Quote"Someone was saying to me, well, you know, Bret Bielema leaving ... that was a blessing for Wisconsin and they knew it," Gee says. "Because he was under tremendous pressure. They didn't like him. Barry Alvarez thought he was a thug. And he left just ahead of the sheriff."

rhog1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/07/21/big-12-expansion-texas-governor-greg-abbott-houston-cougars/87389168/
This is the major problem with the Big 12 and why I am glad we don't have to deal with Texas politics anymore. The governor of Texas says no Big 12 expansion without Houston. No one state should have that much power in a conference.