Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big 12 to Begin Exploring Expansion Candidates

Started by Adam Stokes, July 19, 2016, 10:57:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Stokes

They've mentioned the possibility of adding either 2 or 4 teams.  Adding 4 teams makes the possibly of having Florida schools in the mix a little higher, though I think they'd probably be reaching for those.  Being in Orlando I think UCF has great long-term potential.  My choice would be BYU & Cincy, with Memphis and UCF rounding out to 4. 

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17108512/big-12-begin-exploring-expansion-candidates

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

go hogues

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 19, 2016, 11:00:32 pm
Memphis, Ark. State, Colorado,St, & BYU
That's a pretty pathetic bunch, save for BYU.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

island hog

Houston will almost certainly be one if them. ...

theFlyingHog

If the TV deal and the other team(s) they pull in are of high enough quality then Arkansas goes to the little xii.

:P /s

Murr

Football only members are being considered.

I expect BYU and Cincy to be the top two candidates.  Next class would be UCONN, Colorado State, Memphis, Northern Illinois.  More likely left out Houston (Texas h8's them and they would steal tons of recruits) and Boise State (academics terrible and still developing athletic facilities).

Bowlsby will be out looking for the best deals that these schools are willing to take to join the B12.  Some schools are willing to only take $10M per yr for the rest of the tv contract some have offered strong sponsorship support to the conference.

Well, this'll get interesting and should come to a quick conclusion as most of these schools have been vetted and combed through for years.

ZERO

I kind of think Marshall should get a shot, but of course they wouldn't bring in enough viewers. It would likely be between BYU, Boise State, Houston, UCF, Memphis, and Cincinnati. Check out Marshall's record under Holliday the past three years. He has his team stable and rolling, and I think there would be good rivalry implications between Marshall and WVU.

I also think NIU would be a good choice. Illinois doesn't have a great college football team, and I think NIU is better than Illinois. If they got a good team competing in a major conference, Chicago might start caring about CFB.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ZERO on July 20, 2016, 01:18:57 am
I kind of think Marshall should get a shot, but of course they wouldn't bring in enough viewers. It would likely be between BYU, Boise State, Houston, UCF, Memphis, and Cincinnati. Check out Marshall's record under Holliday the past three years. He has his team stable and rolling, and I think there would be good rivalry implications between Marshall and WVU.

I also think NIU would be a good choice. Illinois doesn't have a great college football team, and I think NIU is better than Illinois. If they got a good team competing in a major conference, Chicago might start caring about CFB.

The state has Northwestern who is a pretty good team and Chicago still doesn't follow CFB. Main reason - Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs, and Soxs.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 20, 2016, 05:20:36 am
The state has Northwestern who is a pretty good team and Chicago still doesn't follow CFB. Main reason - Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs, and Soxs.

I keep hearing Houston is pretty much a lock, though the Big 12 really needs to branch out of Texas.

They also need a team closer to WVU. NIU isn't that much closer.  I suspect Memphis. It's in SEC country and it would bring in a basketball hotbed and school with BB history.  Marshall, Cincy, UCF are all possibles.  I see no potential members that would stand with UT or KU scholastically, which, still, supposedly stands for something.  Indeed, I see no potential  members that would raise the stature of the conference.  I wonder whether CSU is a possibility. Doesn't help WVU, but brings visibility back to Colorado, with a team that is arguably better than CU.

EFBAB

Inhogswetrust

July 20, 2016, 08:02:28 am #9 Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:51:12 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: exit followed by a boar on July 20, 2016, 07:35:16 am
I keep hearing Houston is pretty much a lock, though the Big 12 really needs to branch out of Texas.

They also need a team closer to WVU. NIU isn't that much closer.  I suspect Memphis. It's in SEC country and it would bring in a basketball hotbed and school with BB history.  Marshall, Cincy, UCF are all possibles.  I see no potential members that would stand with UT or KU scholastically, which, still, supposedly stands for something.  Indeed, I see no potential  members that would raise the stature of the conference.  I wonder whether CSU is a possibility. Doesn't help WVU, but brings visibility back to Colorado, with a team that is arguably better than CU.

EFBAB

So how much closer to Morgantown do you think Memphis is than NIU? It's only 164 miles farther to NIU. Why do people keep bringing up basketball. Basketball is only a secondary consideration for expansion. Conferences are not getting these huge national media deals because of basketball. Cincy is the much better option than both NIU and Memphis.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

EFBAB

Just my opinion, but if they go with a two team expansion I think it will be two of the three of Cincy, Memphis or UCF, Cincy and Memphis being the most likely from the standpoint of being closer to WVU.

If they go with a four team expansion I think you could add the possibilities of Colorado State and BYU. But if they do that, particularly with regard to BYU, you have added yet a third timezone to deal with from the standpoint of travel and if it involves the inclusion of most major sports, BYU would present a scheduling problem for other sports aside from football, who do schedule games on Sunday.

Who knows how it will all work out? It isn't like the Big 12 has made good, quality, strategic decisions about their future in the past.
Go Hogs Go!

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

The_Iceman

I would be surprised if Texas, TCU, and Baylor allowed Houston to join. If you add another Big 12 team from Texas, the competition is going to get fierce in recruiting. But, from a football perspective, I'd love it.

Cincinnati, Memphis, BYU, and Houston would all be solid choices. They need another team to make WVU feel more connected, and the first two I listed would do that.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 19, 2016, 11:00:32 pm
Memphis, Ark. State, Colorado,St, & BYU

No UCA.......waits for Go Hogs to tell us how they'd win it the first year......

NaturalStateReb

If they're smart, they'd take BYU, Boise State, Cincinnati, and UNLV.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 20, 2016, 08:26:49 am
I would be surprised if Texas, TCU, and Baylor allowed Houston to join. If you add another Big 12 team from Texas, the competition is going to get fierce in recruiting. But, from a football perspective, I'd love it.

Cincinnati, Memphis, BYU, and Houston would all be solid choices. They need another team to make WVU feel more connected, and the first two I listed would do that.

Texas adding Houston probably means Texas adding another vote that Texas can control in an expanded Big 12.  Houston can't really hurt Texas in recruiting, so I don't think they'd be opposed.  It doesn't make any sense for any other existing Big 12 member, though.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 20, 2016, 08:54:58 am
If they're smart, they'd take beg BYU, Boise State, Cincinnati, and UNLV to jump on the sinking ship.

FIFY, don't think it is in the Big12's hands to "take" anyone........   first they've got to con these schools into thinking this would be a good idea.......

NashvilleHog

On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I don't think it would be tough to convince any G5 school to join except if Boise or BYU think they will get a shot at joining the PAC.

The fact that the Florida schools aren't in the "locks" category tells you the B12 still doesn't quite know what they are doing.  TV markets are huge, both schools are still growing and the conference gets a footprint in Florida so it's not just ratings but recruiting as well, kind of how the SEC got it's foot in the door with Texas A&M.  Don't have to take both but if you do it's built in travel partners as well.  UCF is in the top 10 in enrollment in the US with 60k students.  And if you are a current B12 member where would you rather travel late fall early spring Cincinatti or Orlando.

SEC has always expanded the right way, basically inside out to expand footprint.  B12 couldn't do that in the last round because they just needed warm bodies.  They would be wise to fill in the gaps and go for biggest markets that actually expand the brand.  Sorry but Houston brings nothing to the table except another warm body.  If they add 3 good ones and you want to add Houston as your throw away pick to round it out that's fine. 

One last thing to consider if I was the Big 12.  Right now you are adding just to keep up.  If you really wanted to make a splash and get people talking, don't add 4, add 6.  Become the first P5 conference with 16 teams.  It's a bit daring and risky so of course they won't do it.  Other reason they wouldn't do it is because it would further dilute UT's power in the conference.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BearsBisonsBoars

You're probably right, but Northwestern in a private school. It might be different if they were represented by a public institution.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on July 20, 2016, 09:24:59 am
You're probably right, but Northwestern in a private school. It might be different if they were represented by a public institution.
So is Notre Dame... and I would bet that a majority of Chicagoans are pretty avid fans of the Irish.......

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 20, 2016, 09:20:40 am
I don't think it would be tough to convince any G5 school to join except if Boise or BYU think they will get a shot at joining the PAC.

The fact that the Florida schools aren't in the "locks" category tells you the B12 still doesn't quite know what they are doing.  TV markets are huge, both schools are still growing and the conference gets a footprint in Florida so it's not just ratings but recruiting as well, kind of how the SEC got it's foot in the door with Texas A&M.  Don't have to take both but if you do it's built in travel partners as well.  UCF is in the top 10 in enrollment in the US with 60k students.  And if you are a current B12 member where would you rather travel late fall early spring Cincinatti or Orlando.

SEC has always expanded the right way, basically inside out to expand footprint.  B12 couldn't do that in the last round because they just needed warm bodies.  They would be wise to fill in the gaps and go for biggest markets that actually expand the brand.  Sorry but Houston brings nothing to the table except another warm body.  If they add 3 good ones and you want to add Houston as your throw away pick to round it out that's fine. 

One last thing to consider if I was the Big 12.  Right now you are adding just to keep up.  If you really wanted to make a splash and get people talking, don't add 4, add 6.  Become the first P5 conference with 16 teams.  It's a bit daring and risky so of course they won't do it.  Other reason they wouldn't do it is because it would further dilute UT's power in the conference.

Nah, UT says to add, UTEP, UTSA, UTA, UT-Dallas, UT-Permian Basin, and one of the Med schools. Those schools along with Kansas, football only, would be one side of the conference.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 20, 2016, 09:26:21 am
So is Notre Dame... and I would bet that a majority of Chicagoans are pretty avid fans of the Irish.......

haha, that's not the same. Northwestern has no history of success. And they're nominally Methodist, not explicitly Catholic. There's a huge difference in Church loyalty up there.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on July 20, 2016, 09:32:07 am
haha, that's not the same. Northwestern has no history of success. And they're nominally Methodist, not explicitly Catholic. There's a huge difference in Church loyalty up there.

ahhhh.... mixing religion and football....   makes sense... ;)

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 20, 2016, 09:33:52 am
ahhhh.... mixing religion and football....   makes sense... ;)

Oh it totally does /s

I just chalk it up to Yankees being Yankees  :P

OutlawHawg

Big 12 would be great if they added Houston, Cincy, UCF and USF. The two Florida schools both have enormous student bodies and have proven they can win even with competing for Florida talents with the Big 3.

JayBell

Someone would be smart to start a new conference to compensate for the collapse of the WAC.  The Mountain West is too weak now. Conference USA, Sun Belt and American conferences are WAY too spread out.  They do nothing to engage local fan bases.

It'd be smart for the Big XII to add Houston, Boise State, BYU and a rival for West Virginia (Cincinnati), but I don't think they're smart enough to do it.  Everyone is scared of Boise and doesn't think the market is valuable enough.  Texas is going to quash any plans to add Houston.

You can build a conference in the midwest/west with Boise State, Houston and BYU.  Pick up some other markets like Tulsa and SMU and you can roll with it.

Atlhogfan1

The Big 12 has zero good options for expansion.

Their "best" options discussed:

Central Florida:  Florida's 4th best athletic program? 

Cincinnati:  Good lord.  Nippert Stadium in a conference with Owen Field, DKR, Boone's World, ...

Memphis:  LOL - Guess FedEx can pay for them to be somewhat competitive.  Recruiting base of Memphis vs the states of Texas and Oklahoma. 

BYU:  At least they have a brand and built in national following. 

Houston:  A commuter college with little fan following. 

UNLV: added to the list for NSR's mention

The SEC should react and expand with Georgia State, Charlotte, USF, UConn, Boise and SD St. 

University of Texas should really be embarrassed.

The Big 12's spin is these programs will grow?  By that time, college football may be split off into real super conferences. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 20, 2016, 08:54:58 am
If they're smart, they'd take BYU, Boise State, Cincinnati, and UNLV.

UNLV in football? Yep that's laughable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NashvilleHog on July 20, 2016, 09:11:02 am
Memphis.  Not sure who else...

Geographically a good potential choice but other than that nothing else.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 10:49:34 am

Memphis:  LOL - Guess FedEx can pay for them to be somewhat competitive.  Recruiting base of Memphis vs the states of Texas and Oklahoma. 

All three are commuter schools with not a large fan following. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: island hog on July 19, 2016, 11:09:01 pm
Houston will almost certainly be one if them. ...

Most texas people don't want that happening, especially the Austin ones.  They seem to think Houston could be a powerhouse pretty easily given the right conference.  I'd look for the Big 12 to consider Houston but Texas to block it. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2016, 08:02:28 am
So how much closer to Morgantown do you think Memphis is than NIU? It's only 164 miles farther to NIU. Why do people keep bringing up basketball. Basketball is only a secondary consideration for expansion. Conferences are not getting these huge national media deals because of basketball. Cincy is the much better option than both NIU and Memphis.

Basketball will be a close 1a consideration for the Big 12. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2016, 10:52:45 am
UNLV in football? Yep that's laughable.

The selling points: market, brand from basketball and the stadium they are discussing building in Vegas.  This would be the spin from the Big 12.  Just shows how pitiful this situation is. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Locutus_of_Boar

EFBAB

Whether UH makes it or not depends on how much political clout Baylor still has in Texas.

At the end of the day its almost a who cares situation on the teams outside of Texas.  Effectively ESPN will be pressuring Texas into merging the LHN with a future Big XII network and they bodies to fill inventory.  BYU 1, NIU 2, Cincy 3 seems the likely preferred ESPN order.  UH's market value is almost non-existent given that UT and BU blanket the Houston market.

Hopefully, the Big XII pulls this off as it will lock Texas and Oklahoma out of the SEC and doom them to ever dwindling importance in the world of college football.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2016, 10:57:39 am
All three are commuter schools with not a large fan following.

Yep.  This is ridiculous.  Texas, OU, OSU, KU need to bail if they can find homes.  We know Texas and OU can.  Reform a MWC with what remains.  WV can go back in with Cincy and Memphis.   Blow up what is left of the Big 12 and let Bowlsby find a new job. 

Inhogswetrust

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 10:49:34 am

Their "best" options discussed:

Central Florida:  Florida's 4th best athletic program? 

Cincinnati:  Good lord.  Nippert Stadium in a conference with Owen Field, DKR, Boone's World, ...

BYU:  At least they have a brand and built in national following. 

The SEC should react and expand with Georgia State, Charlotte, USF, UConn, Boise and SD St. 

University of Texas should really be embarrassed.

The Big 12's spin is these programs will grow?  By that time, college football may be split off into real super conferences.

about as succinct as I've seen written.... personally,  I think you embellished each schools actual appeal a bit.......as it is,  the best of a bad situation is: Cincy, Memphis and UCF and hope they can build up something similar to what BU and TCU have done...

onebadrubi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 11:06:10 am
Yep.  This is ridiculous.  Texas, OU, OSU, KU need to bail if they can find homes.  We know Texas and OU can.  Reform a MWC with what remains.  WV can go back in with Cincy and Memphis.   Blow up what is left of the Big 12 and let Bowlsby find a new job.

There is more and more talk within Oklahoma sports radio and the people there that OU and OSU are not as much a package deal as they were a few years back.  They believe OSU and OSU believes it themselves that they would be just fine on their own.  Would be funny to me to watch the BIG 12 jump through hoops to add teams then watch a OU just jump ship at the end. 

Hogwild

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 20, 2016, 08:26:49 am
They need another team to make WVU feel more connected, and the first two I listed would do that.

The Big 12 really screwed the pooch, when they didn't take UL when they took West Virginia.  BYU and Louisville would have been great choices a few years back.  Now they are looking at Memphis, Colorado State, Tulane, UCONN, Cincinnati. 

Hoggish1

I would say there is a really good following in Chicago for Notre Dame...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 20, 2016, 12:13:57 pm
I would say there is a really good following in Chicago for Notre Dame...

True. A lot of alums in the city.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on July 20, 2016, 09:24:59 am

Or have academic standards that most of us could meet.  ;)

wildturkey8

That list shows why the Big 12 is likely doomed.  I don't think Florida State is a serious candidate, Texas doesn't want them and FSU doesn 't want Texas, the LHN and the associated baggage with it.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 20, 2016, 11:28:25 am
There is more and more talk within Oklahoma sports radio and the people there that OU and OSU are not as much a package deal as they were a few years back.  They believe OSU and OSU believes it themselves that they would be just fine on their own.  Would be funny to me to watch the BIG 12 jump through hoops to add teams then watch a OU just jump ship at the end. 

Could be that's why the Big 12 is talking about adding 4 schools. I still believe OU and OSU will eventually wind up in the SEC West.

hogcard1964

Nebraska has never really fit into the Big 10-14 (whatever they are).  Any chance they move back?

Hawgar The Horrible

Fredrick W. Smith (aka the University of Memphis) will get an invitation.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on July 20, 2016, 08:56:27 am
Texas adding Houston probably means Texas adding another vote that Texas can control in an expanded Big 12.  Houston can't really hurt Texas in recruiting, so I don't think they'd be opposed.  It doesn't make any sense for any other existing Big 12 member, though.

10 years ago I wouldn't disagree. But 10 years ago I wouldn't have believe that top kids in Texas would pick A&M, Baylor and TCU over Texas. Times have changed and Texas has been hurt by allowing TCU and Baylor being in the Big 12

GuvHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 20, 2016, 12:46:23 pm
10 years ago I wouldn't disagree. But 10 years ago I wouldn't have believe that top kids in Texas would pick A&M, Baylor and TCU over Texas. Times have changed and Texas has been hurt by allowing TCU and Baylor being in the Big 12

I believe A&M bolting for the SEC has hurt the Horns more than TCU or Baylor.