Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cowherd accuses Bama and Arkansas of manipulating schedule.

Started by rhog1, July 19, 2016, 02:21:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/video-colin-cowherd-criticizes-alabamas-arkansas-schedule/
Wow we have a really hard conference slate year in and year out. Of course you try to position your weaker games before  your harder ones that just makes sense.

The_Iceman

Pure garbage.

We play stinking TCU game 2. We play a LT team game 1 that is a solid mid-major program. We have one of the toughest schedules in the entire country. How in the flying hell can Colin Cowturd complain about our schedule?!?!

STFU Colin.

scooby21322

Yea, you can't compare SEC schedules to PAC-12 schedules.  Colorado is an easier win than LA Tech, for example. 

Vantage 8 dude

July 19, 2016, 02:40:38 pm #3 Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:03:47 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: rhog1 on July 19, 2016, 02:21:24 pm
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/video-colin-cowherd-criticizes-alabamas-arkansas-schedule/
Wow we have a really hard conference slate year in and year out. Of course you try to position your weaker games before  your harder ones that just makes sense.
I agree with what the post indicates: That Cowturd is more interested in hearing his own voice rather than sticking with the facts. What a total tool!!

dhizzle

He works for fox now he can't pump up the sec. Fox shows more big 12 and pac 12 games, so his homerism leans that way.

tysonr7

Halftime every day from 12-2 on ESPN Arkansas

AirWarren

TDHawgs

Lol.. and TCU plays South Dakota State before us... so what's the big deal? It's not like Arkansas and Alabama is the only teams that have schedules like that.

Seebs

Summer and he is a Northeast slacktard. HE knows a lot about lacrosse and wrestling but leave football to the South please
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

rljjr

factchecker

Cowherd is the leader for the "hot take click bait" press.  Clay Travis is another one.  These are guys who sole purpose is to rile up fan bases and piss people off.  Same reason Tiger Bait calls every sports station in the state.  Controversy = Cash

Just let Phyllis handle ol' Cowturd:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

AugustaHog

USC definitely has a tough schedule, but that doesn't mean that Ark/Bama are scheduling cream puffs.  Most every team in the country schedules one tough OOC game and the rest light-weights.  I'm not sure how we got thrown in there.  LT won 10 games last year.  Not too shabby.  That's better than Utah St. and Colorado for sure.  Obviously there are holes in the schedule and we filled in the ones we wanted with the lighter weight games.  Duh.  We'd be stupid to pile TCU right into the heart of SEC play.  What a moron.  And yet, he failed to mention how easy the SEC East schools schedules look relative to the ones he was hammering from the West.  Our 12, regardless of how they are set up, go toe to toe with anybody.  I wonder if he drilled the Baylor/TCU schedules that cost them spots in the playoff two years ago.

FraggleHog

Cowherd has always been a west coast bandwagoner... Nothing new to see here. He's a shock jock that says ridiculous statements to drive traffic. This thread is proof that he's pretty darned good at it.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

oldbear

Actually it would be pretty dumb not to schedule some easier games in between the tougher games. How it could be a point of complaint, I fail to see. I may be missing something but this conversation is simply causing the loss of brain cells for everyone involved.

Wildhog

I WISH we'd manipulate our schedule so that it's easier.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Biggus Piggus

Cowherd is trying to come up with an argument against the schedule-strength calculation, which always shows SEC West teams with tough schedules even if they play a few weaklings. Arkansas gets two pushovers this season. BFD.

It's his usual empty sophistry. Gnat-like.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Porked Tongue

It's not that big a deal.  We do play a relatively weak n/c schedule. 

BearsBisonsBoars

He's going after 'Bama because it will draw clicks and using us a beard.

Let him spout his nonsense. There's no chance of it affecting recruits or playoff voters, so no big deal.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 19, 2016, 04:31:24 pm

Two cupcakes
Louisiana Tech
TCU

That seems like a pretty normal non-conference schedule. If you have to play the SEC West as a conference schedule, along with Florida, then you really don't need 3 Power 5 teams on there.

RazorbackBassist

He failed to mention that Arkansas will play 7 consecutive SEC teams to finish the season. GO HOgs

Hawghiggs

I do wish we would stop playing FCS programs. We could play someone really tough. Like Kansas.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 19, 2016, 04:51:46 pm
Two cupcakes
Louisiana Tech
TCU

That seems like a pretty normal non-conference schedule. If you have to play the SEC West as a conference schedule, along with Florida, then you really don't need 3 Power 5 teams on there.
I know the schedule.  Thanks.

I'm saying his viewpoint and the hyperactiveness to it is not a big deal. Hell, he called out Bama too.   No biggie.

bphi11ips

Now ya gone and done it. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogwild

Quote from: scooby21322 on July 19, 2016, 02:38:06 pm
Yea, you can't compare SEC schedules to PAC-12 schedules.  Colorado is an easier win than LA Tech, for example.

I would like to point out that over the past 4 seasons the two teams with far away with the weakest OOC schedules in the SEC have been the two recent Big 12 transfers.

In their first four seasons in the SEC, Texas A&M and Missouri have combined to play 32 OOC games, Indiana and Arizona State were their only opponents that belonged to P5 conferences.

jgphillips3

Yeah, we are cooking it this year.  We only have 6 top 25 teams instead of the usual 7 or 8 on our schedule and we managed to accomplish that by having Auburn and Missouri sucking rather than scheduling.  Jeez...

brandon

SEC should play 9 conference games. PAC 12, Big 12 and Big Ten do. The best teams in the PAC play 9 conference games plus they've scheduled 2 P5 schools out of conference. 11 P5 games to our 9

Hogwild

Quote from: brandon on July 19, 2016, 05:08:57 pm
SEC should play 9 conference games. PAC 12, Big 12 and Big Ten do. The best teams in the PAC play 9 conference games plus they've scheduled 2 P5 schools out of conference. 11 P5 games to our 9

East teams would be against it.  9 SEC games, + their rivals (Clemson, Florida State, Ga Tech, Louisville) would mean they couldn't be able to schedule any P5 home & aways.

Jek Tono Porkins

Relative to whom? Everyone else is doing the same thing; play one hard team and two not hard teams. Look at the best teams from the other power 5 conference's non-con schedule:

Ohio State:
Bowling Green, Tulsa, @Oklahoma.

Michigan State:
Furman, BYU, @ Notre Dame (rivalry)

Oregon:
UC Davis, Virginia, @ Nebraska.

Stanford:
Kansas State, @ Notre Dame (rivalry), Rice

Clemson:
@ Auburn, Troy, SC State, South Carolina (rivalry)

Florida State:
Ole Miss (neutral site), Charleston Southern, @ USF, Florida (rivalry).

OU: @ Houston, ULM, Ohio State

Baylor:
Northwestern State, SMU, @ Rice

I don't see how our schedule is any weaker than any of those schedules, and we play in a tougher conference.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hogwild

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on July 19, 2016, 05:13:10 pm
Relative to whom? Everyone else is doing the same thing; play one hard team and two not hard teams. Look at the best teams from the other power 5 conference's non-con schedule:

Ohio State:
Bowling Green, Tulsa, @Oklahoma.

Michigan State:
Furman, BYU, @ Notre Dame (rivalry)

Oregon:
UC Davis, Virginia, @ Nebraska.

Stanford:
Kansas State, @ Notre Dame (rivalry), Rice

Clemson:
@ Auburn, Troy, SC State, South Carolina (rivalry)

Florida State:
Ole Miss (neutral site), Charleston Southern, @ USF, Florida (rivalry).

OU: @ Houston, ULM, Ohio State

Baylor:
Northwestern State, SMU, @ Rice

I don't see how our schedule is any weaker than any of those schedules, and we play in a tougher conference.

I don't think Stanford is a good example, they will play 11 of 12 games against P5 opponents.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on July 19, 2016, 05:13:10 pm
Relative to whom?
Anyone.  He's an opinion giver.  His view (right or wrong) does not affect our season in any shape, manner or form.   He doesn't have pull with the playoff system not anything else that determines our season ending result.

To add, I have no issue with our schedule.  You(and others) have leaped to that part.

I'm always surprised at the anxiety everyone has over the opinion of the 623  media people that give opinions that are exclusive to them.

There is not a trickle down result.

phadedhawg

I watched his show a few times when on vacation and he seemed alright but this is just stupid.  I'm not saying that because I'm a SEC homer/Razorback fan, it just doesn't make sense.  Plus it's obviously said just to rile up the fanbases so I guess best to ignore it lol

hobhog

He's picked on Bama for years. Just about ruined the Tide program by doing it....

PonderinHog

You think it's bad now?  Wait till USC knocks off Bama in September.

bolo1010

Quote from: factchecker on July 19, 2016, 02:59:34 pm
Cowherd is the leader for the "hot take click bait" press.  Clay Travis is another one.  These are guys who sole purpose is to rile up fan bases and piss people off.  Same reason Tiger Bait calls every sports station in the state.  Controversy = Cash

Just let Phyllis handle ol' Cowturd:

*stands up and slowly starts to clap*

Hogarusa

I mean we do sort of manipulate the schedule though, correct? Theres nothing wrong with doing so, either.  Ifs being smart due to the stupid BCS system of the past and now the present 4 team playoff. Hasnt Saban himself noted how many opponents Bama plays coming off of a bye week? Thats manipulation of the schedule.  The issue with his argument is that basically every P5 team has some ability to do this, which makes the argument silly.  A P5 power is playing 7-8 home games out of 12.  That seems like manipulation
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

lumphog

Hog N Bama

onebadrubi

I saw this, got a little angry then thought about it for a bit.

Who did cowherd work for previously?  Who is he trying to get attention away from?  Answer to 1 and 2 just so happen to be having a "car wash" of sec coaches highlighting bama and Arkansas today.

What you didn't see him mention is that Arkansas had a top tier opponent back out of a deal and we most likely must fill that with a cream puff in a couple years. He also refused to mention our schedule out loud completely, because if he did he would realize why we aren't tied in with more bigger schools at the moment. With a home and home with TCu, war memorial game, and jerry world, we can't just keep offering to go places in home and home series.

What he also knows but doesn't want to bring up, the sec west division schedule is so tough and you don't get to pick those games. There is not a cream puff in the west, then add FLORIDA coming from the east... All the while pac 12 has cream puffs within their conference. He can't say that though because he has to pump up pac 12 for his program.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quick, tell me one thing Cowherd said last week?
Times up. Nobody remembers or cares.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

onebadrubi

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 19, 2016, 10:38:40 pm
Quick, tell me one thing Cowherd said last week?
Times up. Nobody remembers or cares.

Yeah but His cohost is hot!

go hogues

State hasn't played a meaningful ooc game in I don't know how long. OM rarely does. This FSU game is definitely new for them.
It's clearly for clicks but my gosh, he could find more juicy stuff on Arkansas than that to complain about.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

PorkRinds

Why wouldn't teams set their schedule up to benefit them as much as they can?  Win the SEC you go to the playoff. Do what you can to help yourself.

Biggus Piggus

The idiot actually claimed Arkansas should be criticized for having an open date the week before Florida. We have an open date after playing eight weeks in a row. The guy just doesn't care whether what he says makes any sense.
[CENSORED]!

buldozer

RME

Quote from: Hogarusa on July 19, 2016, 08:47:29 pm
I mean we do sort of manipulate the schedule though, correct? Theres nothing wrong with doing so, either.  Ifs being smart due to the stupid BCS system of the past and now the present 4 team playoff. Hasnt Saban himself noted how many opponents Bama plays coming off of a bye week? Thats manipulation of the schedule.  The issue with his argument is that basically every P5 team has some ability to do this, which makes the argument silly.  A P5 power is playing 7-8 home games out of 12.  That seems like manipulation

Absolutely. Why wouldn't Long and Bielema want that? I don't understand the whole up-in-arms deal over this. Why wouldn't we want Arkansas to manipulate a schedule that favors us?

You folks who gripe and moan about guys like Cowherd and Clay Travis are the same ones that keep those guys employed. (Unpopular opinion side-note: I think Travis is pretty spot on and funny.)

jkstock04

He has been whining about this for 10 years now. I see his point but strength of schedule is tough to argue against.

He is an admitted USC/pac 12 homer. He's no more bias than most of the comments on Hogville.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ZERO

He's just trying to stir something up in the slow season. It's his job, unfortunately. I only hope he doesn't actually believe it, because that would be irredeemably stupid for a number of reasons.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Theolesnort

Quote from: dhizzle on July 19, 2016, 02:43:27 pm
He works for fox now he can't pump up the sec. Fox shows more big 12 and pac 12 games, so his homerism leans that way.
HE KNOWS WHERE HIS BREAD IS BUTTERED! When he was at ESPN he was always pointing out how the SEC towered over the college football landscape. Cowherd is the very epitome of expediency. If you call in tell him I said that he a bought and paid for shill but I still like him. :P
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

King Kong

If we are manipulating the schedule.... We suck at it