Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bleacher Report's Barrett Sallee predicts Arkansas last in the West...

Started by Darren DeLoach, July 18, 2016, 08:31:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren DeLoach

He said on Bo Mattingly's show today that the Hogs will win one maybe two conference games this year. Just a little fodder for the dog days until the season begins.

Looks like he wrote a brief story on it as well...nothing new.

http://teamstre.am/29AXp9c

SEC Media Days 2016: B/R Barrett Sallee's Predicted Order of Finish | Bleacher Report

via ble.ac/teamstream-
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on July 18, 2016, 08:31:34 pm
He said on Bo Mattingly's show today that the Hogs will win one maybe two conference games this year. Just a little fodder for the dog days until the season begins.

You mean this....?

Mississippi State and Arkansas will both be competitive and make bowl games, but this a retooling year for each.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2650958-sec-media-days-2016-br-barrett-sallees-predicted-order-of-finish
Go Hogs Go!

Darren DeLoach

I was running and heard him being interviewed by the guys on Bo's  show. I assume the article points out the same scenario. He did mention that he expected us to be bowl eligible, but to finish in 6th.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Darren DeLoach

His logic was the typical talking points for those predicting a bottom of the division finish. Offense losses, DB 's terrible, no proven HB or QB.

He keyed in on the secondary and the Hunter Henry loss.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on July 18, 2016, 08:41:51 pm
I was running and heard him being interviewed by the guys on Bo's  show. I assume the article points out the same scenario. He did mention that he expected us to be bowl eligible, but to finish in 6th.

It's a safe projection for him. With what we have to replace in production on offense and the unknowns on defense for this year, based on last year, his projection is a comfy spot to land. Even the renowned Phil Steele doesn't seem to be able to get a handle on who we will be...6-6 or 9-3? Kind of a big difference. Sallee is doing nothing more than taking the road with the least slope. Easier to say "I was wrong" if we win more than projected, than having to say "I was wrong" if he went out on a limb and picked us higher and we underachieved. It's just that time of year.
Go Hogs Go!

Darren DeLoach

Completely agree with your view on the projections made by the mass media. Seems folks aren't looking at the monster issues of A&M or Auburn or even Ole Miss for that matter.

I believe our season will be dictated by a few games: Texas A&M, Auburn,  Mississippi State, and Florida. Lose all 4 or go 1-3 and we are the bottom feeder. Split and we are where I think most of us believe, or 3-1/4-0 and we get to the double digit win column.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on July 18, 2016, 08:56:27 pm
Completely agree with your view on the projections made by the mass media. Seems folks aren't looking at the monster issues of A&M or Auburn or even Ole Miss for that matter.

I believe our season will be dictated by a few games: Texas A&M, Auburn,  Mississippi State, and Florida. Lose all 4 or go 1-3 and we are the bottom feeder. Split and we are where I think most of us believe, or 3-1/4-0 and we get to the double digit win column.

Could be that they feel more confident about those teams bouncing back based largely on how highly evaluated the talent was in the recruiting classes they have been bringing in.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bphi11ips

So Ole Miss loses Nkemdiche, Tunsil and Treadwell - 3 players in the first round - has lost two straight to Arkansas and has to travel to Fayetteville - and that's not a penciled in Razorbacks win?  Same thing with LSU without the NFL losses.  Ole Miss is traveling on its QB, but Brandon Harris has proven nothing other than his weaknesses.  LSU visits Arkansas a week after playing Alabama.  I'm sorry, but straight up I have to take the Hogs in those two.

Alabama barely sqeaked by the Hogs in 2014 and only because they were lucky.  We played them toe-to-toe in Tuscaloosa last year until Bielema got impatient with the kicking
game.  Bama gets Arkansas on the road a week before traveling to Tennessee.  They have depth and talent, but Arkansas has a 4th year junior QB and the most underrated group of WRs in the country.  The Hogs should be undefeated coming into this game and coming out of it, too. 

Florida is the one I have trouble dealing with.  Will they have an offense?  If not the Hogs could win this one, but Florida usually beats Arkansas up in the trenches and burns them on the edges.  I'll believe we can beat Florida when I see it.  A lot seems to have changed since Urban Myer and Steve Spurrier were running things.  Still, Florida feels like a loss.

Arkansas is better than Mississippi State.  Period, end of story.  Back to winning against those aggies.

Auburn is an unknown.  Their own fans don't have a good feeling about the season.  But the Hogs travel to Auburn after Alabama and Ole Miss.  It will be hard to get up for those three in a row, and Auburn is coming off an open date.  At least we won't have to play in the August soup, but if Auburn finds a QB they will be hard to beat in Jordan-Hare.  Best hope is for Auburn to lose 2 or 3 early and have a lynch mob mentality in their fanbase by the time we arrive.  Ya'll will love that.  If not, this game is probably a loss.

Arkansas is better than the rest of the teams on their schedule and should win them all, and that includes TCU and A&M.  Guys like Barrett Sallee flip a coin between Mississippi State and Arkansas and say 6 or 7. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

lefty08

He also predicted LSU 5th in the west, dude is a clown, and the website that employs him is crap

Next
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Dominicanhog

Quote from: lefty08 on July 18, 2016, 10:53:43 pm
He also predicted LSU 5th in the west, dude is a clown, and the website that employs him is crap

Next

it's like stock pickers on TV.. they never ask how you've done with your previous picks ..... wish they'd give a percentage of correct calls on all these prognosticators...

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Biggus Piggus

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2522037-sec-media-days-2015-br-barrett-sallees-predicted-order-of-finish

Barrett Sallee's picks this time last year (actual results in parentheses):

SEC West

Alabama (Alabama)
Auburn (Ole Miss)
Ole Miss (Arkansas and LSU, tie)
Texas A&M
Arkansas (Texas A&M and Mississippi State, tie)
LSU
Mississippi State (Auburn)

SEC East

Tennessee (Florida)
Georgia (Georgia and Tennessee, tie)
Missouri
Florida (Vanderbilt and Kentucky, tie)
South Carolina
Kentucky (Missouri and South Carolina, tie)
Vanderbilt

I don't know how anyone makes picks in the East. Four teams finished way under .500 last season. Only one West team was under .500.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Barrett Sallee's SEC West predictions in 2014:

Auburn 11-1, 7-1 SEC (actual 8-5, 4-4)
Alabama 11-1, 7-1 (12-2, 7-1)
LSU 9-3, 5-3 (8-5, 4-4)
Ole Miss 9-3, 5-3 (9-4, 5-3)
Texas A&M 7-5, 3-5 (8-5, 3-5)
Mississippi State 7-5, 3-5 (10-3, 6-2)
Arkansas 3-9, 0-8 (7-6, 2-6)

The final records above include bowl games, which Sallee did not predict.

Sallee loves him some Auburn, doesn't he. Sallee was most consistently wrong about MSU and Arkansas.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on July 18, 2016, 08:56:27 pm

While we can say that all games are important, I think that the stretch of games from Oct 8th through Nov 12th, with an open date on Oct 29th just prior to the Florida game, and with 4 of the 5 games being at home in Fayetteville, will truly determine how this season turns out for the Hogs.

10/8   Alabama
10/15  Ole Miss
10/22  at Auburn
10/29  Open
11/5   Florida
11/12  LSU

Win 3 of 5 or even 4 of the 5 and we will see a better season than many expect. Lose 4 of the 5 and we will be fighting late in the season to get a bowl. But JMO.
Go Hogs Go!

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 19, 2016, 06:53:45 am
While we can say that all games are important, I think that the stretch of games from Oct 8th through Nov 12th, with an open date on Oct 29th just prior to the Florida game, and with 4 of the 5 games being at home in Fayetteville, will truly determine how this season turns

If we can find a way to get to Oct 8th without a loss or even with a split (TCU/A&M), the offense will have had time to find an identity and gel under AA.  If the CRS Defense from 2014 shows up instead of the mess from 2015...or better, then we can be competitive in that gauntlet.  I believe CRS can be a good DC, but last year showed that we didn't have plug and play replacements for the Triangle.

So many "is" are why predictions are all over the board and the safe place is 6th or 7th. 

Poker Porker

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 19, 2016, 06:53:45 am
While we can say that all games are important, I think that the stretch of games from Oct 8th through Nov 12th, with an open date on Oct 29th just prior to the Florida game, and with 4 of the 5 games being at home in Fayetteville, will truly determine how this season turns out for the Hogs.

10/8   Alabama
10/15  Ole Miss
10/22  at Auburn
10/29  Open
11/5   Florida
11/12  LSU

Win 3 of 5 or even 4 of the 5 and we will see a better season than many expect. Lose 4 of the 5 and we will be fighting late in the season to get a bowl. But JMO.

agree about this stretch... win 3 of 5, along with 5, maybe 6 more, would make for a very nice season... less than 3 wins during this stretch makes for major disappointment, unless we have already beaten TCU and A&M... I'd like to see 5 conference wins, to show our sustainability in the SEC... to do this imo, we really need the A&M game, just to get in position for the difficult stretch you mention.....

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 18, 2016, 09:52:13 pm
So Ole Miss loses Nkemdiche, Tunsil and Treadwell - 3 players in the first round - has lost two straight to Arkansas and has to travel to Fayetteville - and that's not a penciled in Razorbacks win?  Same thing with LSU without the NFL losses.  Ole Miss is traveling on its QB, but Brandon Harris has proven nothing other than his weaknesses.  LSU visits Arkansas a week after playing Alabama.  I'm sorry, but straight up I have to take the Hogs in those two.

Alabama barely sqeaked by the Hogs in 2014 and only because they were lucky.  We played them toe-to-toe in Tuscaloosa last year until Bielema got impatient with the kicking
game.  Bama gets Arkansas on the road a week before traveling to Tennessee.  They have depth and talent, but Arkansas has a 4th year junior QB and the most underrated group of WRs in the country.  The Hogs should be undefeated coming into this game and coming out of it, too. 

Florida is the one I have trouble dealing with.  Will they have an offense?  If not the Hogs could win this one, but Florida usually beats Arkansas up in the trenches and burns them on the edges.  I'll believe we can beat Florida when I see it.  A lot seems to have changed since Urban Myer and Steve Spurrier were running things.  Still, Florida feels like a loss.

Arkansas is better than Mississippi State.  Period, end of story.  Back to winning against those aggies.

Auburn is an unknown.  Their own fans don't have a good feeling about the season.  But the Hogs travel to Auburn after Alabama and Ole Miss.  It will be hard to get up for those three in a row, and Auburn is coming off an open date.  At least we won't have to play in the August soup, but if Auburn finds a QB they will be hard to beat in Jordan-Hare.  Best hope is for Auburn to lose 2 or 3 early and have a lynch mob mentality in their fanbase by the time we arrive.  Ya'll will love that.  If not, this game is probably a loss.

Arkansas is better than the rest of the teams on their schedule and should win them all, and that includes TCU and A&M.  Guys like Barrett Sallee flip a coin between Mississippi State and Arkansas and say 6 or 7.

Florida doesn't scare me in the trenches. With Bielema, I think we'll always be in good hands. What scares me about Florida is their speedy WRs getting open because our DB play isn't good, even if they have mediocre QB play.

Their defense will pretty good but by that time I think our offense will be cruising by then.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 19, 2016, 06:50:37 am

LSU 9-3, 5-3 (8-5, 4-4)

Sallee loves him some Auburn, doesn't he. Sallee was most consistently wrong about MSU and Arkansas.

Don't know what I was thinking. Sallee most consistently underrated MSU and Arkansas, but he was most wrong about Auburn, his favorite team.
[CENSORED]!

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

wildturkey8

hogcard1964

I would guess there's literally 0% chance this team finishes in last.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 21, 2016, 01:29:13 pm

I would not say that. Arkansas would not be crippled by a couple of injuries. That is the kind of team that usually finishes last. But is it mathematically possible for all seven teams to tie for first? In such a case, Arkansas would be first and last in the West.
[CENSORED]!

HogBreath

Next
This is so unfair to clowns.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

popcornhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 21, 2016, 01:29:13 pm

Nothing would surprise me. I wouldn't be shocked by anything this year -- winning the West or coming in 7th. Lots of unknowns.

But there's not a 0% chance of finishing in last.
WPS

navyhog24

nwahogfan1

there will be several close games next year where someone(s) has to step up.  It can be our defense making a big play to stop a team from scoring in the final 2 minutes or it may be AA may need to make a play in the final 2 minutes on offense.  Who wins those games will decide if we are 9-3 or 6-6 or anywhere in between.

Lets see who will be our play makers this year.  We need them to step up and shine.

JackJohnson

it takes time to build a program the right way...especially when CBB took over a complete dumpster fire devoid of any talent or high character kids.  It may take 2 full recruiting cycles (8 years) to rid the program of the mess left by Petrino and JLS

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on July 22, 2016, 08:20:13 am
it takes time to build a program the right way...especially when CBB took over a complete dumpster fire devoid of any talent or high character kids.  It may take 2 full recruiting cycles (8 years) to rid the program of the mess left by Petrino and JLS

I guess it depends on what you mean the "right" way, I'd say we will see the fruits of our labor these next few years. I'm not predicting championships, but good seasons.

Hogarusa

Some of you take predictions like an insult to a family member.  It would be best for your health and well being to ignore if you cant handle it emotionally.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

EastexHawg

Quote from: JackJohnson on July 22, 2016, 08:20:13 am

And some of us were amazed when Nutt got a two year pass.

Completely devoid of any talent?  Do Brandon Allen, Darius Philon, Jonathan Williams, Chris Smith, Trey Flowers, Deatrich Wise, Travis Swanson, and Zach Hocker know they are completely devoid of talent?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 22, 2016, 11:22:20 am

Bielema already got his two-year pass, though he had only one losing season vs. Nutt's two.

I agree though -- Arkansas was not devoid of talent, only had some talent holes when Bielema took over.

They were pretty bad holes, especially at linebacker, Oline, QB, and wide receiver.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 22, 2016, 01:13:38 pm
Bielema already got his two-year pass, though he had only one losing season vs. Nutt's two.

I agree though -- Arkansas was not devoid of talent, only had some talent holes when Bielema took over.

They were pretty bad holes, especially at linebacker, Oline, QB, and wide receiver.

We were rudderless, I'll admit I was in the give it to JLS camp to hold it together, biggest mistake ever.

MJ2

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on July 18, 2016, 08:31:34 pm

Looks like he wrote a brief story on it as well...nothing new.

http://teamstre.am/29AXp9c

SEC Media Days 2016: B/R Barrett Sallee's Predicted Order of Finish | Bleacher Report

via ble.ac/teamstream-

Assume he's right for 2016, then what happens?   

ricepig

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 22, 2016, 03:27:37 pm
Thank God the Mayans were wrong..

I know why they perished, on a trip to Chichen Itza outside of Cancun years ago to look at the ruins, it was a onehundredthirtyeleven degrees, I assume they melted.

WizardofhOgZ

Next

I didn't hear the interview, and I totally agree about Bleacher Report, in general . . .

But . . .

I also must say that I've been reading Sallee for the past 5-6 years now, and he's usually a pretty objective guy.  In fact, I'd almost call him pro-Arkansas, on balance, over the years.  He was on Scouts "College Football News" site when I first started reading him, but moved to TBR a year or so back.  That's a squirrely website - many "reporters" there are just nothing more than fans, no different than what you read on boards like this.  On the other hand, as time has gone on, they do have some legit journalists, like Sallee mixed in.

Of course, I hope he's wrong.  But it's not like he's had a history of being ignorant about Arkansas football or has not paid attention, because he has.  That said, he can still be wrong and I hope he is.  If I'm being honest, part of me is afraid that he's not.  I've said for the past year that 2017 is going to be our "payoff" season, and anything we get in 2016 is gravy to me.  I'm greedy and I always want for the Hogs to be successful.  But I acknowledge that there are a number of real question marks on this year's team, and the odds are against our finding answers to all of them.  A lot of those question marks have to do more with lack of experience than they do long-term talent - so that's why I'm pointing more toward 2017.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2016, 03:32:03 pm
I know why they perished, on a trip to Chichen Itza outside of Cancun years ago to look at the ruins, it was a onehundredthirtyeleven degrees, I assume they melted.

They'da never lasted in a rice field.

Oh, and Barrett Sallee hates Arkansas.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 18, 2016, 08:50:06 pm
It's a safe projection for him. With what we have to replace in production on offense and the unknowns on defense for this year, based on last year, his projection is a comfy spot to land. Even the renowned Phil Steele doesn't seem to be able to get a handle on who we will be...6-6 or 9-3? Kind of a big difference. Sallee is doing nothing more than taking the road with the least slope. Easier to say "I was wrong" if we win more than projected, than having to say "I was wrong" if he went out on a limb and picked us higher and we underachieved. It's just that time of year.

Speaking of slopes...

2013 SEC record 0-7 with an average score of -21 points.
2014 SEC record 2-6 with an average score margin of -1.5 points
2015 SEC record 5-3 with an average score of +4.5 points

The projection for 2016 would be 6-2 with an average scoring margin around +6 points.

Bottom line is with a likely slightly less efficient offense and a slightly better defense Arkansas will be marginally better in 2016 against a conference that is slightly weaker with a conference schedule that is more favorable and overall about the same except for the TCU game.

Peter Porker

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 22, 2016, 11:22:20 am

Completely devoid of any talent?  Do Brandon Allen, Darius Philon, Jonathan Williams, Chris Smith, Trey Flowers, Deatrich Wise, Travis Swanson, and Zach Hocker know they are completely devoid of talent?

A few underclassmen. Good job, champ.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

GuvHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on July 24, 2016, 06:54:28 pm
A few underclassmen. Good job, champ.

Doesn't matter what class they were in, the team was far from devoid of talent when CBB took over.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on July 24, 2016, 07:00:45 pm
Doesn't matter what class they were in, the team was far from devoid of talent when CBB took over.

Yeah, one OL will get you far, especially playing Bielema's style............

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2016, 07:34:30 pm

Yeah, one OL will get you far, especially playing Bielema's style............

Style is the key.   He had talent. It didn't fit his style though. That was a big reason for such a terrible first season.  His style was not what was ran the previous 4 years here.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

[/quote

Huh? Seriously?..."Smile!"
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

tusksincolorado

Well some writer this season has to play the role of "dullest knife in the drawer".

GO HAWGS!  :razorback:
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Chief Mac

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 19, 2016, 06:50:37 am

LSU 9-3, 5-3 (8-5, 4-4)

He's a HUGE Auburn homer. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Peter Porker

That's a good one!