Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to make the Hogs band better

Started by atekido, July 13, 2016, 11:00:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

atekido

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: atekido on July 13, 2016, 11:00:51 am
Just enlist this girl and bam you will have the most popular and feared Band in football.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/17019175/young-woman-marching-band-becomes-internet-sensation

Except that wasn't a "marching band". It was the Boston Crusaders, a DCI Drum and Bugle Corp. I wish more schools bands did DCI style shows.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

wholehog92

That girl has the just the right amount of crazy to be fun for a little while. lol.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Hog_Swanson

Can someone post a youtube link?  The video wouldn't pull up for me on the espn site.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

theFlyingHog

LRHawg

I didn't know King Joffrey played keyboard

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 13, 2016, 11:55:47 am
That girl has the just the right amount of crazy to be fun for a little while. lol.
that's a one banger....the kind you get one good one fired off then say, "baby, let's get some shut eye and go for seconds when we wake up"... then after crazy bish is asleep, you don't even get dressed, grab your clothes and put on your shoes and get to the car as fast as possible....then ride around for an hour to make sure she doesn't follow you and then go home....sorta like Will Smith's character in I AM LEGEND
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 13, 2016, 11:36:56 am
Except that wasn't a "marching band". It was the Boston Crusaders, a DCI Drum and Bugle Corp. I wish more schools bands did DCI style shows.

Nice to see someone appreciate something I spent 6 years of my life doing
Go away, batin'

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Michael D Huff AIA

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 14, 2016, 12:45:44 am

I was a music Ed major my first two years of college when DCI was really growing. My nephew is a high school band director in Arkansas at one of the larger programs and knows several people involved with DCI.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

younghog

GO HOGS

cosmodrum

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 14, 2016, 12:03:01 pm
I was a music Ed major my first two years of college when DCI was really growing. My nephew is a high school band director in Arkansas at one of the larger programs and knows several people involved with DCI.

I bet I know your nephew or at least who he is.
Go away, batin'

Ex-Trumpet

What corp were you with?  My daughter is marching with Phantom Regiment this summer.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 14, 2016, 04:07:52 pm
What corp were you with?  My daughter is marching with Phantom Regiment this summer.

One of my favorites going back years.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Better?

As in a sack of rabid weasels is better than a chocolate cake?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 13, 2016, 11:55:47 am

Agreed. After a few drinks at the bar, she might break a heel....and we all know a broken heel is typically a plus at the bar, but she'd prolly break the other one off and get back to the bar. So, she'd be fun but you gotta remember fun will turn into cray cray if you hang out with her longer than a night or two.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 13, 2016, 11:36:56 am

Think OSU...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 14, 2016, 08:15:15 pm
Think OSU...

Not really corp style but closer than some. Quite a few Big 10 bands march the same or similar to OSU as well.

Hawgar The Horrible

I've watched that clip a dozen times now. Even imagined myself being 30 years younger.

The answer remains not no, but hell no.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

RazorbackBassist

Bogues89

My first thought from the thread title was wgaf, but after watching the clip, I'm with you. And +1 to wholehog92.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Lanny and I have said this type of non football related thread will not be tolerated much longer.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 14, 2016, 08:52:23 pm
Not really corp style but closer than some. Quite a few Big 10 bands march the same or similar to OSU as well.

That's my point...  Close wins the cigar!

Ex-Trumpet

Pretty sure most folks wouldn't appreciate what some DCI corps are putting out there now...anyone seen the Bluecoats flitting about in their yoga body suits this year?!?!  That would go over really well in just about any SEC stadium!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Inhogswetrust

July 20, 2016, 11:15:53 am #27 Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:48:26 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 20, 2016, 08:17:43 am
Pretty sure most folks wouldn't appreciate what some DCI corps are putting out there now...anyone seen the Bluecoats flitting about in their yoga body suits this year?!?!  That would go over really well in just about any SEC stadium!!

There is a lot of truth in that post. DCI shows have changed quite a bit over the years.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2016, 11:15:53 am
There is a lot of truth in that spot. DCI shows have changed quite a bit over the years.

And not necessarily for the better.  Band kids already have a stigma to overcome (right or wrong, doesn't matter).  Being dressed up like Tinkerbell certainly won't help!!

cosmodrum

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 20, 2016, 12:41:33 pm
And not necessarily for the better.  Band kids already have a stigma to overcome (right or wrong, doesn't matter).  Being dressed up like Tinkerbell certainly won't help!!

Yeah, they are heading down the path of WGI. Oh well, I forget about it when I hear those dudes drum. Coats can play.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 14, 2016, 04:07:52 pm

Southwind 99-01. Taught the Madison Scouts "feeder" corps in 2002.

What does she play? I have a bunch of friends that marched there, taught there, etc.
Go away, batin'

Science Fiction Greg

DCI has been heading south since the stupid Cadets started doing their shows with "narration." 

<-- salty
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on July 20, 2016, 05:29:02 pm
DCI has been heading south since the stupid Cadets started doing their shows with "narration." 

<-- salty

Yep. George Hopkins can eat a bag of...you know.
Go away, batin'

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I could easily imagine waking up to find blood and something missing while simultaneously hearing her evil cackle over the roar of the garbage disposal.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Oklahawg

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 20, 2016, 05:40:27 pm
Yep. George Hopkins can eat a bag of...you know.

George Hopkins = D!ck. A successful, innovative d!ck, but a d!ck none-the-less.

Nicest staff I ever met were the Blue Stars.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PonderinHog

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 20, 2016, 04:18:40 pm
Southwind 99-01. Taught the Madison Scouts "feeder" corps in 2002.

What does she play? I have a bunch of friends that marched there, taught there, etc.

Mellophone...horn major at Arkansas!

cosmodrum

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 21, 2016, 08:45:06 am
Mellophone...horn major at Arkansas!

And, she was just on Conway the other night for rehearsal and I had no idea! I would've loved to go watch them rehearse.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 21, 2016, 12:47:56 am
George Hopkins = D!ck. A successful, innovative d!ck, but a d!ck none-the-less.

Nicest staff I ever met were the Blue Stars.

It's just a matter of time before woodwinds are in DCI. At that point, calling it DCI would be a joke, if it isn't already. Amplification, trombones/french horns, Bb horns replaced G bugles, voice, electronic instruments...ugh.
Go away, batin'

Jackrabbit Hog

You spent 6 years of your life making faces, gyrating, sneering and acting like a psycho?

Somehow I can believe that.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 22, 2016, 03:25:26 pm
You spent 6 years of your life making faces, gyrating, sneering and acting like a psycho?

Somehow I can believe that.

Naw mane, I played quads and the only face we made said "bad ass."
Go away, batin'

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 22, 2016, 03:30:03 pm
Naw mane, I played quads and the only face we made said "bad ass."

Like this one?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Science Fiction Greg

July 22, 2016, 07:28:07 pm #43 Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:21:58 am by Possible Oatmeal
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on July 22, 2016, 07:28:07 pm
I haven't even been to a DCI show since they started this crap.  And I teach HS marching band.

Oh, I still enjoy it, but it's not the activity I took part in anymore. Going to the Little Rock show next week. Really good lineup.
Go away, batin'

Inhogswetrust

I haven't even been to a DCI show since they started this crap.  And I teach HS marching band.

In Arkansas?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 22, 2016, 03:15:12 pm
And, she was just on Conway the other night for rehearsal and I had no idea! I would've loved to go watch them rehearse.

Yeah, she said they all about burned up!  That purple turf gets hot!!

Ex-Trumpet

It's just about to the point in Texas that if you haven't marched DCI, you probably won't get a gig teaching high school band.  It's more important than a Master's degree!!

Ex-Trumpet

Saw DCI in Cypress last night, headed to San Antonio in a few minutes for tonight's show.

Last night's performances were all amazing and all had unique styles.  Phantom and Santa Clara were the most "traditional" DCI. 

The amount of sound from corps is truly amazing.  For those who have never seen anything like this it's worth your time to check it out.  You will never view a college marching band the same again.  These kids put out twice the sound with half the people.

Inhogswetrust

July 23, 2016, 11:11:43 am #49 Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:23:09 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 23, 2016, 10:35:09 am
Saw DCI in Cypress last night, headed to San Antonio in a few minutes for tonight's show.

Last night's performances were all amazing and all had unique styles.  Phantom and Santa Clara were the most "traditional" DCI. 

The amount of sound from corps is truly amazing.  For those who have never seen anything like this it's worth your time to check it out.  You will never view a college marching band the same again.  These kids put out twice the sound with half the people.

That's because of no woodwinds AND those DCI members are some of the best at what they do. Not just any band member can get on a DCI corp.