Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

U.S. Olympic Trials - Razorback Update

Started by yraciv, July 03, 2016, 07:42:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

I've been really impressed with the showing by our athletes past & present so far at the Olympic trials.
Jarrion Lawson - Is currently 2nd in the long jump final w/ a career best 28 ft jump. He is also qualified for the 100 final that will be run in 20 minutes on NBC. Not likely to qualify there, but still an impressive debut showing, and likely will be going to Rio in the long jump.
Taylor Ellis Watson - Just missed out on a spot on the team by .08 seconds finishing 4th in the 400. Still a great showing!
Kenzo Cotton - Made it to the semifinal of the 100, and finished 14th, which is impressive for our less decorated sprinter.
Tyson Gay - Is in the final for the 100 as well

Lots more to come seeing as this is the start of the trials, but excited to keep tracking all the Razorbacks!

JHicks3636

Lawson finished 7th in the 100 finals and Gay finished 5th so neither make it to Rio at that distance. Lawson does go to the Olympics in the long jump with the longest collegian jump since 1994. His 28' 1 3/4" jump was also wind legal. He will run the 200 meters on July 7-8-9 as long as he keeps advancing in qualifying.

arkansastrack

Quote from: JHicks3636 on July 03, 2016, 08:04:30 pm
Lawson finished 7th in the 100 finals and Gay finished 5th so neither make it to Rio at that distance. Lawson does go to the Olympics in the long jump with the longest collegian jump since 1994. His 28' 1 3/4" jump was also wind legal. He will run the 200 meters on July 7-8-9 as long as he keeps advancing in qualifying.
Really hate this for Tyson. He has had the worst luck when it comes to the Olympics. He and Bolt were close to the same prior to Tyson getting injured during the 200m in 2008. Bolt had run 9.73 and Tyson 9.77 that year including a 9.69 wind aided time at the Trials. Then in 2012 he finished 4th. He will go down as probably the greatest sprinter ever to not win a medal in the 100m. He also has the fastest 2 times in American History as well as the #2 (9.69) and #5 (9.71) times ever (behind Bolts 9.58 and 9.69 and Yohan Blake's 9.69).

Lawson's jump is the longest extended collegiate season jump since former Razorback Erick Walder's 8.74m (28-8.25) in 1994. Walder's mark is also the collegiate record.

pork in the whiskers

I'm pretty sure both Gay and Watson will make the team as part of relay teams... not sure, but I was
thinking there are 6 members that train for each relay in case of injuries, etc.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

kodiakisland

July 03, 2016, 09:37:13 pm #5 Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:05:51 pm by kodiakisland
Quote from: longpig on July 03, 2016, 08:32:43 pm
What women do we have in the trials?

This is probably the best summary through Saturday of those competing:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/arkansas-opens-strong-at-olympic-trials

I know Morris and Weeks will be vaulting, Clark in the steeplechase, Stumbaugh in hurdles.

Found this that may have everyone:  http://www.hotsr.com/news/2016/jul/01/ua-tracksters-take-oregon-trail-to-olym/

For those wanting to keep up with the live results:  http://trialsresults.usatf.org/
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hoglady

Lawson had to run the 100 about 30 minutes after finishing the long jump.
He was long shot to begin with and the timing sure didn't help.
Gay has not had good starts this weekend - not sure how his start was in the final.
I recorded it and my recording stopped before the replay - anyone help me with that??
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JHicks3636

Quote from: hoglady on July 03, 2016, 10:02:48 pm
Lawson had to run the 100 about 30 minutes after finishing the long jump.
He was long shot to begin with and the timing sure didn't help.
Gay has not had good starts this weekend - not sure how his start was in the final.
I recorded it and my recording stopped before the replay - anyone help me with that??

Actually Lawson had to be allowed to go out of turn on his 2nd jump so he could race in the 100 semis. He was 4th in the jump order but was allowed to jump last in that round. He actually fouled on his 2nd and 3rd jumps. He passed his 5th and 6th jumps after his big jump on his 4th attempt. I guess he tried to get as much rest as possible but he came up short. Still a great effort on his part. By the way he won the fan vote for the men's portion of the 2016 Bowerman Award. I have not seen that posted.

kodiakisland

Quote from: JHicks3636 on July 03, 2016, 10:27:08 pm
Actually Lawson had to be allowed to go out of turn on his 2nd jump so he could race in the 100 semis. He was 4th in the jump order but was allowed to jump last in that round. He actually fouled on his 2nd and 3rd jumps. He passed his 5th and 6th jumps after his big jump on his 4th attempt. I guess he tried to get as much rest as possible but he came up short. Still a great effort on his part. By the way he won the fan vote for the men's portion of the 2016 Bowerman Award. I have not seen that posted.

According to the results, he has a fair jump of 27 3-3/4 for his second jump.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

yraciv

Quote from: pork in the whiskers on July 03, 2016, 08:29:28 pm
I'm pretty sure both Gay and Watson will make the team as part of relay teams... not sure, but I was
thinking there are 6 members that train for each relay in case of injuries, etc.

They do bring 6, so I'd assume Gay is going.  I actually think he'd be a better fit for the relay considering his continuous struggles out of the block.  Ellis Watson on the other hand I'd say should get in, but isn't a lock.  Courtney Okolo has consistently beat her and put up great times this year until the finals.  Francena McCory had 2 of the top 10 times in the world coming into yesterday, so she may get the call.  And then I'd think it would be between Ellis Watson & Quanera Hayes for 6th.  Hayes looked awful in the finals, but had a sub 50 run back in April.  I'm not sure what the selection process is though.

JHicks3636

July 04, 2016, 01:37:16 pm #10 Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:10:52 pm by JHicks3636
Four former or present Razorbacks will be in action today (July 4th) in the U.S. Track and Field Olympic Trials. Jessica Kamilos and Devin Clark will be running in the 1st round of the Womens' 3000 meter steeplechase. Chrishuna Williams will be in the finals of the Womens' 800 meter run. Stanley Kebenei will run in the Mens' 3000meter steeplechase. The Trials will take a break tomorrow and only the hammer throws will be contested on July 6th. The meet will crank back up on July 7th.

pork in the whiskers

Kamilos and Kebenei both move on to their gender steeplechase final, which is Thursday.

JHicks3636

Chrishuna Williams finishes 3rd in the 800 and will go to Rio with an Olympic qualifying time. Moved from 7th to 3rd in the last 200 meters.

pork in the whiskers

Lawson wins his heat in slowest time of 4 Hogs running 200. Gay and Spearmon finish 2 & 3 in heat with fastest winning time. All 3 move to next round as automatic qualifiers. Cotton may get in on time. Gochenour failed to advance in women's hurdles. Kamilos in steeplechase finals later.

JHicks3636

Lawson, Gay and Spearman advance as automatic qualifiers in the 1st round of the 200 meters. Kenzo Cotton also advanced as one of the top 3 times other than automatic qualifiers. Semis will be tomorrow and finals on Saturday.

JHicks3636

For some reason Arkansas freshman Damajahnee Birch did not start her heat of the 400 meter hurdles.

JHicks3636

Stephanie Brown was an automatic qualifier in the 1500 meters prelims. Semi-finals will be on Friday, finals on Sunday.

rzrbackramsfan

hawgmasta

JHicks3636

Neil Braddy advances to the semi-finals in the 400 meter hurdles. He was not an automatic qualifier but advanced as one of the top four times after the autos. Semi-finals will be Friday and finals on Sunday.

JHicks3636

Dorian Ulrey is an automatic qualifier in the Men's 1500 meters preliminaries. Semis tomorrow with finals on Sunday.

JHicks3636

Duncan Phillips joins Ulrey in advancing in the 1500 meters. Phillips squeaks in as the 5th of 6 time qualifiers after the autos.

JHicks3636

The finals of the Womens' 3000 meter Steeplechase is the final event of the night where a runner with Arkansas connections ran. Jessica Kamilos finishes 12th of 14 runners and will not go to Rio. That is the end of tonight's reports.

yraciv

Quote from: JHicks3636 on July 07, 2016, 09:14:57 pm
Neil Braddy advances to the semi-finals in the 400 meter hurdles. He was not an automatic qualifier but advanced as one of the top four times after the autos. Semi-finals will be Friday and finals on Sunday.

Great to hear with my hometown Braddy!  Good to see everyone advance, but they are going to need huge outings to advance to finals, much less olympics next round.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

kibster

Can someone do a post with all that have qualified and then update it as more qualify?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

JHicks3636

July 08, 2016, 05:38:23 pm #26 Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:58:05 pm by JHicks3636
Quote from: kibster on July 08, 2016, 11:04:00 am
Can someone do a post with all that have qualified and then update it as more qualify?

I don't know if this is what you want but here goes. These are the athletes with an Arkansas connection who will be in Rio and the team they will represent:

Jamaica
Kemoy Campbell  5000 meters
Veronica Campbell-Brown 200 meters, 4x100 relay
Omar McLeod  110 meter hurdles
Clive Pullen   triple jump

South Africa
Christine Kalmer   marathon
Dominique Scott  10,000 meters

Trinidad and Tobago
Sparkle McKnight  400 meter hurdles

USA
Taylor Ellis-Watson  4x400 relay
Tyson Gay  4x100 relay
Jarrion Lawson  long jump
Chrishuna Williams 800 meters

JHicks3636

Taylor Ellis-Watson makes it through the 200 meters 1st round as an automatic qualifier. Semis on Saturday, finals on Sunday.

JHicks3636

July 08, 2016, 06:11:39 pm #28 Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:28:24 am by JHicks3636
The Women's pole vault is presently suspended due to weather. At the time it was suspended Lexi Weeks and Sandi Morris were 2 of 9 vaulters who had cleared 4.4 meters. The height needed to automatically advance to Sunday's final will be 4.5 meters or about 3 3/4" more than they have vaulted so far. Ten vaulters are already out of the competition. I apologize that I forgot that April Steiner Bennett also advanced meaning 3 of the remaining 11 have Arkansas ties.

pork in the whiskers

Weather is just awful. Mid 60's with a steady rain and wind. Should be an interesting night.

JHicks3636

Duncan Phillips does not advance out of the the semi-finals of the 1500 meters. Dorian Ulrey runs in the next heat.

JHicks3636

Quote from: pork in the whiskers on July 08, 2016, 06:12:50 pm
Weather is just awful. Mid 60's with a steady rain and wind. Should be an interesting night.

I guess they did not stop the men's high jump. Only 14 of 26 jumpers were able to clear the opening height which is still 3 1/2" under the Olympic standard and height needed to advance to the event final. What a mess.

JHicks3636

Ulrey does not advance in the 1500 meters either despite running faster than everyone in the 1st heat.

JHicks3636

Neil Braddy does not advance in the 400 meter hurdles.

Dr. Starcs

Does Fayetteville ever have a chance of hosting the trials?
Or does Eugene have a monopoly on it?

JHicks3636

The women's pole vault has resumed and only 11 of 24 entrants are still jumping including Morris and Weeks. Since there are only 11 remaining vaulters, all of them, except Jenn Suhr, passed through the 4.5 meter height so they automatically qualify for the finals on Sunday. Suhr easily cleared 4.5 which was her opening height. She is the former world record holder and present American record holder. She had to make a height to advance to the finals. Everyone else had already made a height.

JHicks3636

Stephanie Brown advances to the finals of the the 1500 meters. She ran 5th in her semi to auto qualify. There will be 12 runners in Sunday's final.

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on July 08, 2016, 06:33:55 pm
Ulrey does not advance in the 1500 meters either despite running faster than everyone in the 1st heat.

That's a tough break for him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JHicks3636

Stanley Kebenei  does not advance in the 3000 meter steeplechase. He was in 2nd place going to the last lap and had a final lap of 1:28+. I assume he must have fallen.

ricepig

Quote from: JHicks3636 on July 08, 2016, 07:33:32 pm
Stanley Kebenei  does not advance in the 3000 meter steeplechase. He was in 2nd place going to the last lap and had a final lap of 1:28+. I assume he must have fallen.

Yep, at the last water jump. He was in 3rd/4th and it was a little congested and slipped going over the hurdle/jump.

Kris kringle Lick A Pring

Quote from: JHicks3636 on July 08, 2016, 06:57:44 pm
The women's pole vault has resumed and only 11 of 24 entrants are still jumping including Morris and Weeks. Since there are only 11 remaining vaulters, all of them, except Jenn Suhr, passed through the 4.5 meter height so they automatically qualify for the finals on Sunday. Suhr easily cleared 4.5 which was her opening height. She is the former world record holder and present American record holder. She had to make a height to advance to the finals. Everyone else had already made a height.

Was this on TV today?  Hate that I missed it.

ricepig

Quote from: Kris kringle Lick A Pring on July 08, 2016, 07:37:27 pm
Was this on TV today?  Hate that I missed it.

Nah, not really, I think they showed one or two vaults, max. Hopefully they show more of the finals on Sunday.

JHicks3636

In the 200 meter semis, Arkansas had 4 runners. Only Tyson Gay advances to the Sunday finals. Cotton, Lawson and Spearman are out

JHicks3636

The night is over for Arkansas entrants. See you tomorrow.

JHicks3636

July 09, 2016, 03:59:59 pm #44 Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:55:27 pm by JHicks3636
Add Tina Sutej to the list

Jamaica
Kemoy Campbell  5000 meters
Veronica Campbell-Brown 200 meters, 4x100 relay
Omar McLeod  110 meter hurdles
Clive Pullen   triple jump

Slovenia
Tina Sutej  pole vault

South Africa
Christine Kalmer   marathon
Dominique Scott  10,000 meters

Trinidad and Tobago
Sparkle McKnight  400 meter hurdles

USA
Taylor Ellis-Watson  4x400 relay
Tyson Gay  4x100 relay
Jarrion Lawson  long jump
Chrishuna Williams 800 meters

Dr. Starcs

Who all goes tonight?

Edit *question answered* And nobody answered my question about the prospect of Fayetteville ever hosting the trials. Anyone have any info?

longpig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 08, 2016, 06:55:45 pm
Does Fayetteville ever have a chance of hosting the trials?
Or does Eugene have a monopoly on it?

Probably not, mostly because of the heat.  Hard to beat Eugene for weather this time of year and I'm sure Nike has a lot to do with it as well.  These heavy rains aren't the norm.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Dr. Starcs

Haha, thanks longpig.

You must've posted that as I was asking again.

JHicks3636

After 2 of 7 events in the heptathlon, Taliyah Brooks is 5th and Alex Gochenour is 9th. Payton Stumbaugh did not start the event. Two more events in the hep today and 3 to finish up tomorrow.

JHicks3636

After 3 of 7 events in the heptathlon, Brooks stands 8th and Gochenour 10th. One event left today.