Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat-Mon (9/30-10/2/17) updates: Phillips now saying he'll announce Tuesday ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, September 30, 2017, 07:58:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Saturday (9/30/17) update ...

Josh Leblanc told me today he's down to TA&M and Georgetown, and that "maybe" he'll announce as early as this coming week. So, after eliminating Arkansas a week or so ago, he's now eliminated LSU. FWIW, he told me after he and Keyshawn Embery visited TA&M together that the Aggies were at the top of his list, and that he was pretty much taking his OV to LSU because it was the hometown school. If you remember when I started that "Hump Day predictions" thread, I picked him to TA&M w/a confidence level of 4 on a scale of 1-to-10. At the time, I wasn't sold on LSU not being tops on his list, but maybe that he wasn't tops on LSU's list and thus preimptively naming TA&M his leader pending his OV to LSU -- so I held out the possibility that he might still end up at LSU if Darius Days fell through.

With Leblanc eliminating LSU at this point (whether he eliminated them or vice-versa), I feel almost certain now that he wants to go to TA&M. And, with him possibly making an announcement this coming week, he may be waiting to see what happens with Reggie Chaney's visit there this weekend. If he picks Georgetown, I think it could mean Chaney either has or will be picking TA&M.

Chaney appears to be squeezing in an Oklahoma St visit ('Pokes in trouble) between the A&M visit and a scheduled visit to Wichita (just last week the Shockers picked up a commitment from 6-9 PF Morris Udeze over Butler, who was thought to be the leader) and a final visit to TCU (a few weeks ago, I got the impression that the Frogs' addition of 6-7 CF Feront Hunt might impact Chaney's decision).

Just boiling down some of that data, one could easily speculate that Chaney is really down to Arkansas and TA&M, and that Leblanc is waiting to see what happens with Chaney, hoping to land with the Aggies with Georgetown as the backup plan.

And with Jordan Phillips telling me on Thursday that he would likely announce something this coming week (at the time he he said "in the next 5 days or so") ... it's conceivable that Arkansas could be wrapping things up very soon.

I'm not predicting that, and there may be several other factors at play (Jericole Hellems for one, and maybe Arkansas has new options in the works given the current landscape in college hoops recruiting).

My best guess is Phillips calls the Hogs soon (if not, Arkansas is holding out for someone else), and Chaney won't take all his scheduled visits (I could be wrong here, but I laid out reasons why some of the schools on his OV list might have already been eliminated). Would be very unusual for Arkansas to wrap up a class by the early signing period, especially a 6-player class, but it just might fall into place that way, and we could possibly know as early as this coming week.

I

batmanfan

Sounds like we should hope Leblanc to A&M to make Chaney the most realistic target.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

mbgrulz

I can't help but feel that we are slow playing Phillips. It just seems like he's been high on us forever...visited...was high on us...visited other schools...still had us as #1...but no commitment.

Letsroll1200

King Kong

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 30, 2017, 10:38:41 pm
I really hope LeBlanc is a Hoya. Bring Georgetown back

You realize that means we probably missed out on Chaney right?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: King Kong on September 30, 2017, 10:54:55 pm
You realize that means we probably missed out on Chaney right?

We on so many players. Chaney will be a Razorback

King Kong

HogFoo

At this point, I was Jordan and Chaney.  I wish we could have gotten Steere.  But that's fine.  I'd take a  true 6'8 230+ inside guy.  Corliss was barely 6'6 and did well inside.  The only thing that bothers aboit Chaney is they mentioned him having game like Portis.  Id prefer that he could score inside with power and authority and maybe hit a kittle 10ft shot if he had too.  If Corliss had been 6'8 or 6'9 he's probably still in the NBA. 

As for other spot.  I really like the idea of Jordan.  Ya just can't go wrong with a 6'7 guard who can handle the ball!  I can't imagine Mike slow playing this kid.   But, yeah, Chaney/Jordan.. two favorites at this point!Hope they are Hogs!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

hogwood

Would love to see Hellems be a Hog. Not sure how that would be done but the staff needs to try IMO. But with Chaney being the biggest target of need and Phillips being the most likely target to commit, that's a difficult situation.

I see Hellems as a Dorian Finney-Smith (Florida) type player. It seemed like DFS was around forever and always taking care of business. Hellems could be someone we start 3 years in a row and someone who provides a constant on our team.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HogFoo on October 01, 2017, 04:20:57 am
At this point, I was Jordan and Chaney.  I wish we could have gotten Steere.  But that's fine.  I'd take a  true 6'8 230+ inside guy.  Corliss was barely 6'6 and did well inside.  The only thing that bothers aboit Chaney is they mentioned him having game like Portis.  Id prefer that he could score inside with power and authority and maybe hit a kittle 10ft shot if he had too.  If Corliss had been 6'8 or 6'9 he's probably still in the NBA. 

As for other spot.  I really like the idea of Jordan.  Ya just can't go wrong with a 6'7 guard who can handle the ball!  I can't imagine Mike slow playing this kid.   But, yeah, Chaney/Jordan.. two favorites at this point!Hope they are Hogs!

I would love a true 6'8 230 lb inside man.  Who is that tall that we are recruiting.  Chaney I have heard is somewhere around 6'6 I keep hearing but he plays big which is good.  Are you hoping he will grow.  Maybe your right.

The_Iceman

Isn't a&m and Adidas school? Will he still be getting the money he was promised now that the investigations have started?

hogwood

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 01, 2017, 08:16:48 am
I would love a true 6'8 230 lb inside man.  Who is that tall that we are recruiting.  Chaney I have heard is somewhere around 6'6 I keep hearing but he plays big which is good.  Are you hoping he will grow.  Maybe your right.

Chaney is listed as 6'7" 220 on Rivals. So that's pretty close.

mhuff

The coaches told Chaney that they would like for him to play like Portis. Otherwise , he could score inside or out. Whether he plays like Portis remains to be seen. He just will be given the freedom to shoot outside

The_Bionic_Pig

If we get Jordan that would mean we would have 4 player's 6'6 and up who can bring the ball up the court, the others being..

6'6 Khalil Garland
6'7 Darious Hall
6'8 Gabe Osabuohien

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mhuff

King Kong

Quote from: mhuff on October 01, 2017, 05:46:11 pm
Has Steere actually committed anywhere yet?

He will commit 10/6. Most believe it's NC State. Either way it won't be us.

mhuff

While I agree with you, things can change quickly. BUT, I said no visit no hope.

Hou-Hog

If Corliss had been 6'8 or 6'9 he's probably still in the NBA. 

Really?  At 43 yrs old?  Should be somewhat reasonable. 

Kevin McPherson

Sunday (10/1/17) updates ...

* '18 Jordan Phillips (6-6 wing, Grace Prep Academy in Arlington, TX) told me today that he'll make an announcement in the next couple of days -- "probably Monday" he said. Remember, I reported on Thursday that he said he'd probably announce in "the next 5 days or so" ... apparently he's sticking to that time frame. He's always told me the Hogs are in the lead. At this point, my confidence level is about as close to 100% as one can get be that he'll call the Hogs.

* '18 Reggie Chaney (6-8 PF, Findlay Prep by way of Frisco TX) told me today that his visit to Texas A&M this weekend "was good." He said he'll still visit Wichita (Oct. 13-15) and TCU (Oct. 20-22), and that his recent talk of visiting Oklahoma State is now "up in the air" in regards to whether or not he'll actually be taking a visit there. I asked him if there was a chance he'd shut things down soon and make an announcement before taking any more visits, and he told me "probably not." But I've also heard that he may very well decide between Arkansas and TA&M soon. Reggie told me he the Hog coaches have told him they'll try to visit him again at Findlay Prep this coming week.

* More updates coming later tonight.

MakingPlays

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 01, 2017, 08:19:51 pm
* '18 Reggie Chaney (6-8 PF, Findlay Prep by way of Frisco TX) told me today that his visit to Texas A&M this weekend "was good." He said he'll still visit Wichita (Oct. 13-15) and TCU (Oct. 20-22), and that his recent talk of visiting Oklahoma State is now "up in the air" in regards to whether or not he'll actually be taking a visit there. I asked him if there was a chance he'd shut things down soon and make an announcement before taking any more visits, and he told me "probably not." But I've also heard that he may very well decide between Arkansas and TA&M soon. Reggie told me he the Hog coaches have told him they'll try to visit him again at Findlay Prep this coming week.

* More updates coming later tonight.

TA&M and Arkansas definitely make the most since for Chaney.  OSU is dealing with FBI issues.  Wichita State already has 2 PFs committed for this class already, and TCU doesn't have an available scholarship unless someone decommits or they have someone transfer out. 

A&M does make me a little nervous though, because they are one of his home state schools, and they currently don't have any commits.  They can really push early playing time and him being the man there, since it's possible they could be losing most of their forwards after this year.

HogFoo

Love the possibility of getting Jordan.  Like that kid a lot.  I've seen where he is listed at 6'6. And 6'7. Which is he exactly  Kevin?  Not that it matters, either is still big for a guy that can handle the ball well.   

As for chaney, I'd love to have him as well.  At this point would we be on any other Bigs for this class?  Or would he be who we've basically cut it down too?  If we can get both him and jordan, I'd be happy.  Very excited about this class.  Adding it to the incoming class and the future of Hog basketball.

Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Kevin McPherson

Monday (10/2/2017) update ...

* Jordan Phillips told me this morning he's waiting till Tuesday to announce for purposes of convenience.  I suppose he could change his mind and still announce it later today, but as of this morning he decided to wait till tomorrow. Will be shocked if he does not call the Hogs.

ShadowHawg

Does he announce today?

navyhog24

From Kevin:

* Jordan Phillips told me this morning he's waiting till Tuesday to announce for purposes of convenience.  I suppose he could change his mind and still announce it later today, but as of this morning he decided to wait till tomorrow. Will be shocked if he does not call the Hogs.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=638731.0

mhuff

ShadowHawg

HogFoo

Quote from: Hou-Hog on October 01, 2017, 07:55:51 pm
Really?  At 43 yrs old?  Should be somewhat reasonable.
Yeah time flies huh?   He was a tweener.  wasn't tall enough to bang inside, wasn't quite the outside shooter.  Either way, had he been 6'8 -6'9 probably would have been NBA all star many many years.   Was great for us back in college days though.  But, just making a point.

HogFoo

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 01, 2017, 08:16:48 am
Well, ive seen so many different weights and sizes on these guys.  Not really which is the true sizes.  Last I saw Chaney was supposed to be 6'8 220ish.   And Jordan was 6'7 around 210.. but just yesterday I saw a recruiting site that had Jordan at 6'5 180??   I saw another that had him at 6'6  200..  so, not sure now what the weights size are on these kids.  I am hoping that Chaney  measurements were 6'8 220ish though.   

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HogFoo on October 02, 2017, 09:26:07 pm
Yeah time flies huh?   He was a tweener.  wasn't tall enough to bang inside, wasn't quite the outside shooter.  Either way, had he been 6'8 -6'9 probably would have been NBA all star many many years.   Was great for us back in college days though.  But, just making a point.

Corliss played 12 years in the NBA. That's a very good career.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 02, 2017, 11:40:48 am

* Reggie Chaney told me Hog coaches will be back at Findlay Prep on Thursday. It will mark the 3rd time Hog coaches have been to Findlay Prep to see Chaney since the current recruiting period began on September 9. TA&M has also been out to see him 3 times in that span. And, his only OVs to this point are Arkansas and TA&M.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 02, 2017, 10:35:14 pm
* Reggie Chaney told me Hog coaches will be back at Findlay Prep on Thursday. It will mark the 3rd time Hog coaches have been to Findlay Prep to see Chaney since the current recruiting period began on September 9. TA&M has also been out to see him 3 times in that span. And, his only OVs to this point are Arkansas and TA&M.
I have a question for you Kevin. Is there a reason why the staff never advanced with Trey Jemison? If we were to somehow miss on Chaney, he seems like he would be perfect (6'11 245).
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on October 02, 2017, 11:05:17 pm
I have a question for you Kevin. Is there a reason why the staff never advanced with Trey Jemison? If we were to somehow miss on Chaney, he seems like he would be perfect (6'11 245).

Hogs never offered him and they moved away from several other bigs who were at least 6-9. They looked at Javian Fleming (6-9 PF/C from Canton, MS) but didn't pursue him, either. Amanze Ngumezi got an offer but Arkansas moved away from him rather quickly. They liked Horton but he didn't get an offer, and I believe that had to do with his academics. 

Seems like Arkansas locked in on 3 guys in the 6-7 / 6-8 range in Reggie Chaney, Josh Leblanc, and Jericole Hellems. Out of that trio, Chaney appears to be who they're laser-focused on getting.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 02, 2017, 11:39:51 pm
Hogs never offered him and they moved away from several other bigs who were at least 6-9. They looked at Javian Fleming (6-9 PF/C from Canton, MS) but didn't pursue him, either. Amanze Ngumezi got an offer but Arkansas moved away from him rather quickly. They liked Horton but he didn't get an offer, and I believe that had to do with his academics. 

Seems like Arkansas locked in on 3 guys in the 6-7 / 6-8 range in Reggie Chaney, Josh Leblanc, and Jericole Hellems. Out of that trio, Chaney appears to be who they're laser-focused on getting.
Appreciate the the response Kevin. We'll see what happens with Chaney.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

navyhog24

I see Chaney as the only "big" that we're on. If we don't get Chaney, will the staff likely wait until the Spring and scramble to sign a big then?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 03, 2017, 07:54:41 am
I see Chaney as the only "big" that we're on. If we don't get Chaney, will the staff likely wait until the Spring and scramble to sign a big then?

I really think Mike is getting close to being "selective".. take the best available, don't worry about position.. and though we may be a bit short in Bigs for the future, he could get a juco next year.. may not sound optimal now, but we're not short on size this year...

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 03, 2017, 07:54:41 am

This staff is not in scramble mode, and certainly won't be in scramble mode if they wait till the spring should Chaney (or Hellems) get away. If they fill out 5 of the 6 available spots with preferred recruits in the early period (which looks to be at minimum what they'll accomplish) but miss out on Chaney, it might be wise to wait till spring to evaluate juco bigs, high school bigs, and grad-transfer possibilities.

In this age of high transfer rates and college coaches getting fired / moving on in March-April, the spring recruiting crop is not nearly as weak as it once was.

Swinesong1

I know he doesn't address a need, but IF they only fill 5 of 6 slots, that Canadian kid at SCA intrigues me. 

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 03, 2017, 11:23:24 am
I know he doesn't address a need, but IF they only fill 5 of 6 slots, that Canadian kid at SCA intrigues me.

Which one?

Kevin McPherson

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Kevin McPherson

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 03, 2017, 10:19:39 am
This staff is not in scramble mode, and certainly won't be in scramble mode if they wait till the spring should Chaney (or Hellems) get away. If they fill out 5 of the 6 available spots with preferred recruits in the early period (which looks to be at minimum what they'll accomplish) but miss out on Chaney, it might be wise to wait till spring to evaluate juco bigs, high school bigs, and grad-transfer possibilities.

In this age of high transfer rates and college coaches getting fired / moving on in March-April, the spring recruiting crop is not nearly as weak as it once was.

An excellent point... and when you have 9-10 players you create lots of possibilities with the last couple.. they can'.t all play anyway,,,,