Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drills

Started by hogfankb, May 01, 2006, 03:17:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfankb

Anyone got any good drills that really helped your game?

I am personally looking for something to help with my balance. I keep falling out of my swing. But I am sure a lot of us have tried some drills that might help others hogvillians.

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

If you are falling out of your swing, you may be just swinging too hard.  Find out how fast,or hard you can swing without loosing your balance, and then swing about 80% of that.  It will also help with accuracy.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

razorbackdan

Quote from: hogfankb on May 01, 2006, 03:17:02 pm

I am personally looking for something to help with my balance. I keep falling out of my swing. But I am sure a lot of us have tried some drills that might help others hogvillians.

When practicing, Make a full swing with your feet together and the ball in the middle. If you hit the ball pretty well, you have built some torque, released it and retained your balance, which are key components of a good golf swing.

Hawg414

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on May 01, 2006, 03:39:44 pm

If you are falling out of your swing, you may be just swinging too hard.  Find out how fast,or hard you can swing without loosing your balance, and then swing about 80% of that.  It will also help with accuracy.

...and believe it or not, you just might be surprised with how far it goes anyway. 
slowing things down gets your timing back in sync... and distance comes from timing and tempo moreso than hitting it as hard as you can.
i am playing my best when i am hitting everything what i feel is about 75-80%

HamShank

Favorite putting drill:

Line up 5, 5 foot putts around a hole.  The first one is for birdie.  The second one is for par.  The third one is for birdie.  The fourth one is for par.  And so on.

When you get to -5, you've won.  If you get to +5, you've lost. 

If you master that, back it up another 5 feet.  10 footer for birdie.  10 footer for par.

This will give you an amazing amount of confidence on short putts on the course.

Feralhog

May 02, 2006, 07:14:10 am #5 Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 07:27:14 am by Feralhog
   Spend twice the time practicing your short game than you do the full swing.  For chipping, scatter balls around the edge of the practice green, strike every chip with the purpose of sinking it.  Don't stop until you hole 3 out. (total, not in a row) Take this mindset and try and hole your chips on the course.

It's a good idea adding pressure into practice.  I like the sound of Hamshanks putting drill.  Try this one.  Line 3 balls, 2ft, 5f, and 7ft from the hole.  Stroke putts moving from one distance to the next, if you miss, start over.  Keep going until you make all three putts, three times in a row.

For touch.  Stick tees in the green 7ft, 15ft, 20ft, and 30ft apart. Roll the first 3 putts to the 7ft tee, as close to the tee without going past, then move to 15 and so on.  After you've done each distance, start again, this time stopping the ball just past the tee, as close as possible.

Here's a touch drill to use before teeing off.  Move clockwise around the hole, stroking ONLY 2ft putts. Start at 12:00, move to 2:00, 4:00, 6:00, etc etc.  Stroke the putt to where the ball barely reaches the hole before going in.  Not only does this hone in your short putt touch, seeing a lot of putts go into the hole, helps your confidence before the first tee.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former coach finder for the Tejas Longhorns.......Feralhog the Magnificent

hogfankb

I know that is a big problem with my swing. I have a hard time fixing it though. It also stops me from keeping my head down and I tense up at contact. I can feel all of these things happening I just haven't been able to get myself to stop doing it consistantly.

To try and relax and get my tempo right I usually starting swinging the club back and forth without stopping. Taking the club back and making my swing and like a pendulum allowing the club to work it way back through the backswing again. I can really tell my rythm, balance, and head position are much better while doing this. But there is something about my initial take back that is out of rythm and then I tense up at contact. Very frustrating.

I have become pretty good at staying balanced with my shorter irons(7-LW). But anything lower than that I tend to tense up which usually results in me rocking out of the swing and hitting it thin or throwing my hands around the ball and duck hooking it.

hog golf

for balance:
swing while standing on left foot only. will be difficult at first but after 10-12 tries, you'll be able to do it. amazing how quickly it will help your tempo and balance. try it without club first, then use a club after you get the hang of it.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: hogfankb on May 02, 2006, 08:39:12 am

I know that is a big problem with my swing. I have a hard time fixing it though. It also stops me from keeping my head down and I tense up at contact. I can feel all of these things happening I just haven't been able to get myself to stop doing it consistently.

To try and relax and get my tempo right I usually starting swinging the club back and forth without stopping. Taking the club back and making my swing and like a pendulum allowing the club to work it way back through the backswing again. I can really tell my rhythm, balance, and head position are much better while doing this. But there is something about my initial take back that is out of rhythm and then I tense up at contact. Very frustrating.

I have become pretty good at staying balanced with my shorter irons(7-LW). But anything lower than that I tend to tense up which usually results in me rocking out of the swing and hitting it thin or throwing my hands around the ball and duck hooking it.

One thing I did to improve my tempo was to pick out a moderately slow song that I liked, mine is mind games by John Lennon, then while you are setting up to swing hum to yourself, during your practice swing and during your shot.  It also helps you not to think about all the things that might go wrong.  Focus on the tempo of the song and swing in tempo.  Fuzzy whistles to keep his tempo.  Try it, it might just work, it did for me.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

12under

Quote from: hogfankb on May 01, 2006, 03:17:02 pm

for balance, put the fat end of a baseball bat on the ground with the grip in the air.  put your forehead on the grip end and while keeping your head on it run in circles.  then try to hit a golf ball.  if you hit it, you have incredible balance.   sorry for the smarta$$ remark, but i couldnt resist.

Illinihog

Do you know what else helps with the balance and tempo.  When you go to the range don't put on your golf shoes.  Hit balls in your tennis shoes.  You won't swing nearly as hard and will help your tempo.  Try it out.

jkcrunch

Quote from: Feralhog on May 02, 2006, 07:14:10 am
   Spend twice the time practicing your short game than you do the full swing.  For chipping, scatter balls around the edge of the practice green, strike every chip with the purpose of sinking it.  Don't stop until you hole 3 out. (total, not in a row) Take this mindset and try and hole your chips on the course.

It's a good idea adding pressure into practice.  I like the sound of Hamshanks putting drill.  Try this one.  Line 3 balls, 2ft, 5f, and 7ft from the hole.  Stroke putts moving from one distance to the next, if you miss, start over.  Keep going until you make all three putts, three times in a row.

For touch.  Stick tees in the green 7ft, 15ft, 20ft, and 30ft apart. Roll the first 3 putts to the 7ft tee, as close to the tee without going past, then move to 15 and so on.  After you've done each distance, start again, this time stopping the ball just past the tee, as close as possible.

Here's a touch drill to use before teeing off.  Move clockwise around the hole, stroking ONLY 2ft putts. Start at 12:00, move to 2:00, 4:00, 6:00, etc etc.  Stroke the putt to where the ball barely reaches the hole before going in.  Not only does this hone in your short putt touch, seeing a lot of putts go into the hole, helps your confidence before the first tee.   

Amen Feral I picked up this same pratice strategy last year for the first time.   Following this will get you at least five stokes in a matter of a couple of weeks 

Thunder when you do practice your full swing work on holding your finish for at least until the balls lands.  This give your mind feedback and the chance to process it.