Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone think there is a market for this?

Started by hogfankb, April 27, 2006, 08:51:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfankb

Do you think golf courses or even just players would want some software that would let them figure up their handicap and some useful stats about their rounds?

I know a lot of courses have handicap calculators but they don't really keep up with much of else. Most of the online ones I have found don't have many Arkansas courses in them and if they do they usually are not updated at all. I personally like to keep up with what I have done during a round. Like how many putts,fairways/greens hit, up-and-down %, and sand saves so that I know what parts of my game is hurting me the most. Am I the only one that likes to do this?

The reason I ask is that I have written a very rough application that allows you to enter course information and input your scores by hole for rounds. It then calculates some things like handicap and scoring average for each hole on that course. Does anyone think this might be something other people would be interested in if I really took some time to fine tune it and get more indepth with it?

Feralhog

I like it.  I'm not a puter geek, and I'm sure it would probably be too expensive, but to expand your idea a bit.  I've thought some kind of smart score card could be made available to players that not only did some of the things you described, but also posted your score electronically after the round. 

Sorta off topic.  Along the lines of keeping stats.  One of the things I started doing is keeping track of the total feet holed for my putts in a round.  The formula I use is any putt holed under 2ft gets a score of 2 feet, and any putt holed over 10 feet gets a score of 10 feet.  The rest is scored by the actual distance of the putt holed, ie; a holed six footer gets six.  Anytime my total drops below 55, I know I need to spend some extra time rolling putts.       
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hogfankb

Quote from: Feralhog on April 27, 2006, 09:04:33 am
I like it.  I'm not a puter geek, and I'm sure it would probably be too expensive, but to expand your idea a bit.  I've thought some kind of smart score card could be made available to players that not only did some of the things you described, but also posted your score electronically after the round. 

Sorta off topic.  Along the lines of keeping stats.  One of the things I started doing is keeping track of the total feet holed for my putts in a round.  The formula I use is any putt holed under 2ft gets a score of 2 feet, and any putt holed over 10 feet gets a score of 10 feet.  The rest is scored by the actual distance of the putt holed, ie; a holed six footer gets six.  Anytime my total drops below 55, I know I need to spend some extra time rolling putts.      

I have thought about the first part of your post as well. I thought perhaps a Palm Pilot app that would sycronize when you got back to the clubhouse or even at the turn. I also wanted to make it where you could order your food from the palm like at #8 tee box. That way you could see a menu/prices on the palm and be able to get your total to make your turn as quick as possible. But that would require a lot more things(like internet access near the box). Possible but more expensive.

I like your statistic too. Number of putts like I do doesn't really tell you a whole lot unless. You can leave a 20 foot putt 10 feet short but make the 10 footer. I wouldn't call that great putting but it still shows up as a 2 putt.

Feralhog

April 27, 2006, 09:32:31 am #3 Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 09:37:23 am by Feralhog
You know the GPS stuff on golf carts you can keep score, and contact the clubhouse.  I would bet if it was programmed, you could do the food thing with the menu and stuff.  Like I said, I'm no geek, but I'm smart enough to know that 99% of the time, the way we use this stuff doesn't scratch the surface of what can actually be done.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

HogISH™

i am a geek ( or aleast employee a few)... you figure out the software and we will look at writing it. sounds like a great idea but where will you get all of the course spec's for it. plus getting people like al to put a pc in the bar @ pvac will be a challange.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

hogfankb

Quote from: HogISH™ on April 28, 2006, 08:27:32 am
i am a geek ( or aleast employee a few)... you figure out the software and we will look at writing it. sounds like a great idea but where will you get all of the course spec's for it. plus getting people like al to put a pc in the bar @ pvac will be a challange.

HogISH

The software would be able to add a new course to the database. Where the club pro(or whoever) could go in add the course and all the statistics for the course. Rating, slope, par, par for each hole and all of that for each tee box. That way any user that steps up to the computer could select whatever courses have been put in the database and add a round to whichever course they had played.

Doesn't PVAC have a computer in the pro shop area over by the putters/irons? I think they have one over there for handicap calculations but I haven't ever used the software so I don't know how indepth or customizable it is.

HogISH™

i think the only one w/ internet access is in al's office. pm me sometime and you can come by the office and we can whiteboard the idea.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.