Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommendations on clubs

Started by HamShank, April 19, 2006, 10:36:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamShank

I'm a formerly scratch golfer that is getting back into playing frequently after what has essentially been a 6-7 year hiatus.  I'm now playing enough again to justify investing a couple of grand into a new set of irons and new woods.  The problem is that, though I've started playing weekly again, and generally shoot between 75-80, I'm really behind on the new technology.

IRONS:  I THINK I'm looking for a set of blades (what I've always played with) and was thinking the Taylor Mades or the Mizunos.  However, if somebody has others to recommend, I want to look into them.

WOODS: I've only hit the Titliest woods which are pretty long.  Any other recs.?

SHAFTS: I generally hit the ball really, really high so I think I need some stiffer shafts.

I'm heading to a Demo Day at a local driving range in a week or so and want to have a better idea of what I should focus on.

Thanks, guys.

Feralhog

April 20, 2006, 07:13:53 am #1 Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 07:21:06 am by Feralhog
I'd check here.

http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/irons/default.asp

You might want to think about putting a hybrid club in your bag as well.     
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

HamShank

Thanks, I'll check these out.  +1

Patch

April 20, 2006, 12:40:16 pm #3 Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 12:45:45 pm by Patch

A lot has changed since you last played. This is the new wave of technology.

In all seriousness, I've heard good things about the Ping G5 Driver and Nike Sasquatch Driver from multiple sources.

pigture perfect

Make sure to at least try the Cleveland HiBore Driver. I tried one at a charity tourney in Pheonix amonth ago, and it was the sweetest driver I have ever hit. Just saving my money to get myself one.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HamShank

Quote from: Patch on April 20, 2006, 12:40:16 pm

A lot has changed since you last played. This is the new wave of technology.

In all seriousness, I've heard good things about the Ping G5 Driver and Nike Sasquatch Driver from multiple sources.

Thanks, Patch.  I was thinking about getting a new "mashie," or maybe even buying a dozen or so "featheries" before I go out next.  I hear Bob Jones just opened a great course in Georgia.

Patch

Quote from: HamShank on April 20, 2006, 09:32:28 pm
Thanks, Patch.  I was thinking about getting a new "mashie," or maybe even buying a dozen or so "featheries" before I go out next.  I hear Bob Jones just opened a great course in Georgia.

Glad I could help  :)

hawgdaddy306

If you were a scratch golfer, and want to return to form, no matter what brand or design of clubs you decide on, be sure to pay the little extra to be properly fitted.  Thats the best money a golfer can spend to improve his or her game. 

As for the clubs, I have the callaway X-18 tour irons, and I love them.  I have an R7 taylormade driver, which I couldnt wait to get, but now I am lukewarm on it.  Its long, but you better make good contact or the spin is very exaggerated.  I have a callaway hawkeye III 3 wood, and use it for most par 4's.  Its really long, Im usually within 10 or 15 yards of my buddies off the tee, and you can really work this club, so Im in more fairways than they are, which to me makes the short amount of distance I give up worth it.

I am playing callaway fordged wedges, 54* and 60*, I would recommend them also.  They replaced my clevelands, are a little more forgiving than the clevelands and cost about $30 less each, ( I promptly dropped that 60 bucks on a dozen pro-v1x balls)

You didnt ask specifically, and may have a putter you love (my dad is one of the best putters I have ever seen, and his 35 year old bullseye is ragged, but he wouldnt trade it for anything on the market). If not, my blade of choice is a scotty cameron studio, and if you like a mallet, you see so many tour players rolling the oddesey two ball, that may be worth a tryout also. 
With the hiring of Bobby Petrino, the National Championship  project is already showing signs of improvement and will soon be back on schedule.

razorbackdan

Quote from: hawgdaddy306 on April 22, 2006, 04:18:57 pm
  I have an R7 taylormade driver, which I couldnt wait to get, but now I am lukewarm on it.  Its long, but you better make good contact or the spin is very exaggerated. 

No truer words have been spoken about a golf club. I've hit some of my best drives ever with this driver, but if it's not just pured with a squared clubface, go ahead and hit a provisional. I can make all kinds of mistakes with my Cleveland 410 OS and still be in the fairway or first cut most times with decent distance.

HamShank

Quote from: hawgdaddy306 on April 22, 2006, 04:18:57 pm
If you were a scratch golfer, and want to return to form, no matter what brand or design of clubs you decide on, be sure to pay the little extra to be properly fitted.  Thats the best money a golfer can spend to improve his or her game. 

As for the clubs, I have the callaway X-18 tour irons, and I love them.  I have an R7 taylormade driver, which I couldnt wait to get, but now I am lukewarm on it.  Its long, but you better make good contact or the spin is very exaggerated.  I have a callaway hawkeye III 3 wood, and use it for most par 4's.  Its really long, Im usually within 10 or 15 yards of my buddies off the tee, and you can really work this club, so Im in more fairways than they are, which to me makes the short amount of distance I give up worth it.

I am playing callaway fordged wedges, 54* and 60*, I would recommend them also.  They replaced my clevelands, are a little more forgiving than the clevelands and cost about $30 less each, ( I promptly dropped that 60 bucks on a dozen pro-v1x balls)

You didnt ask specifically, and may have a putter you love (my dad is one of the best putters I have ever seen, and his 35 year old bullseye is ragged, but he wouldnt trade it for anything on the market). If not, my blade of choice is a scotty cameron studio, and if you like a mallet, you see so many tour players rolling the oddesey two ball, that may be worth a tryout also. 

Thanks, Hawgdaddy.  As far as putters are concerned, I'm happy with the Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom mallet I bought last year when I was really getting back into playing.  I wondered what in God's name could justify charging that much for a putter, and then I learned.  On long putts, I'm no better, but inside 10 feet, I'm more consistent than ever before.

And thanks for the info. on the Taylor Made woods.  I keep hearing these same comments.  Just not forgiving.  I'll look elsewhere.  And the info. on wedges is much appreciated.  That's something I didn't ask about, but something I needed to know.  I'm really thinking about a 3-wedge system for the first time in my life.

cadensdad

Ping S59 irons are great blades.  Rifle 6.0 steel shafts are great xtra stiff shafts.  Ping G5 18 degree hybrid is a good club to keep in the bag to keep it low off the tee when there is a stiff wind.

Feralhog

Quote from: cadensdad on April 25, 2006, 11:32:18 am
Ping S59 irons are great blades.  Rifle 6.0 steel shafts are great xtra stiff shafts.  Ping G5 18 degree hybrid is a good club to keep in the bag to keep it low off the tee when there is a stiff wind.

Somehow it just doesn't seem right seeing the word Ping and Blades used in the same sentence!  ;)

These new hybrids may be the single best advancement for golf, since titanium.  I've been playing for 39 years, and I've never seen a situation like this!  Every single person I speak with who carries a hybrid, loves it, regardless the brand. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

oldbear

I know that you may have your heart set on blades, but I have even seen several pros have perimeter weighted irons in their bags.  I was actually pretty shocked when I went to the US Open at Southern Hills and saw clubs in some bags that were a couple of generations older than my Ping ISI's.  I still use them, but if I were investing, I would have to look at the Callaways.  Last year, I had my clubs worked on, and used some that a buddy of mine owned.  They were great.  These were x-14.  I can only imagine what the 18s are like.  I am not a big fan of the Titleist woods.  Several people I play with are.  The R7, from Taylormade, the Ping G series and the Callaway fusion seem to be easier to hit to me.  It seems like even the better players look for something easier because their misses are not as bad.  But then again, I'm about a 12, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Hawg414

Quote from: Feralhog on April 25, 2006, 12:04:30 pm
Quote from: cadensdad on April 25, 2006, 11:32:18 am

Somehow it just doesn't seem right seeing the word Ping and Blades used in the same sentence!  ;)

These new hybrids may be the single best advancement for golf, since titanium.  I've been playing for 39 years, and I've never seen a situation like this!  Every single person I speak with who carries a hybrid, loves it, regardless the brand. 

feralhog...
for someone who lacks detailed knowledge about the hybrids, what can you tell me are the pros and cons vs a 5 wood?  i need 1 club between my 3 iron and my 3 wood, and right now it is a 5 wood (and had been a 1 iron til about 4 weeks ago).  you think i should exchange it for a hybrid?  if so, which degree would fall right in between 3 iron and 3 wood... 17*?

Hawg414

Quote from: oldbear on April 25, 2006, 02:30:19 pm
I know that you may have your heart set on blades, but I have even seen several pros have perimeter weighted irons in their bags.  I was actually pretty shocked when I went to the US Open at Southern Hills and saw clubs in some bags that were a couple of generations older than my Ping ISI's.  I still use them, but if I were investing, I would have to look at the Callaways.  Last year, I had my clubs worked on, and used some that a buddy of mine owned.  They were great.  These were x-14.  I can only imagine what the 18s are like.  I am not a big fan of the Titleist woods.  Several people I play with are.  The R7, from Taylormade, the Ping G series and the Callaway fusion seem to be easier to hit to me.  It seems like even the better players look for something easier because their misses are not as bad.  But then again, I'm about a 12, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

yeah, i think hardcore blades are, generally speaking, a thing of the past.  some expert players may still use em, but not nearly like it used to be.  with todays technology, you get a perimeter weighted club that still shapes as easily as the blades of yesteryear.  as for the s59s, seemed to me like they performed more like the others rather than a full blown blade.  in fact, i liked them quite a bit.  even owned them temporarily.  decided i might not be quite ready for those 100% of the time and got rid of them in favor of my ol trusty eye 2s.  until i can hit my target every single time i dont feel like i need to make a change that only lessens my chances even more. 

Feralhog

April 25, 2006, 10:05:02 pm #15 Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 10:08:44 pm by Feralhog
Hawg 14, I switch between carrying a 2 iron and 5 wood, depending on conditions, course, etc etc.  So I'm kinda in the same boat as you.  The hybrids  I've seen in action were 17 and 18 deg respectively, so that's where I'm leaning. 

I'm being pulled three different directions right now.  I'm  looking at buying a new set of irons, I'm also looking into a  high dollar shaft for my driver, and I'd like to find a hybrid.  Cash flow won't allow all three and I'm a bit hesitant to grab some hybrid's from our Club's demo rack until I'm in a position to buy.  And until I can go beat on some range balls, I don't feel comfortable giving an opinion, other than, everyone I've spoken with who has a hybrid, absolutely loves it. 

Right now the 5W and 2I serve a similar purpose for my game, so buying a hybrid is on the back burner.  Of course it sucks needing two clubs to fill the role of one.

HamShank

Thanks guys for your help.  Just wanted to report back what I went with after all the recommendations from you guys and the "Demo Day."  Ended up buying everything but a putter.  I think this will last me a while.  But through what you guys said on the board, and working with actual reps on these purchases, I got a mixed bag that's exactly right for me.

Driver - Titleist 905S - 8.5 degree with Aldila NV 85 shaft, stiff.  (I couldn't go with the R, no matter how many times I hit it, I just can't get used to the 460cc size.)

3-Wood - Titleist 904F - 13 degree with Aldila NV 85 shaft, stiff. 

Taylor Made Hybrid 2 - 16 degree, stiff.

Taylor Made Hybrid 3 - 19 degree, stiff.

4 and 5 irons - Taylor Made rac LT, stiff.  (I got these for the forgiveness they provide in the longer irons.)

6-PW - Taylor Made rac Forged TP, stiff.  (These just had the best feel of anything I could find.  I could work the ball like a blade with slightly more forgiveness than the Titleist or Mizuno blades.)

54 degree wedge - Taylor Made rac Black TP

58 degree wedge - Taylor Made rac Black TP

Thanks, again.