Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All (bleeping) Phil Mickelson Posts Go HERE

Started by HogHeathen, April 10, 2006, 09:01:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The debate about Phil's character has been coming up quite often over the years; what do you think?

Yes
No
Don't Care

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: 12under on April 10, 2006, 03:47:09 pm
Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 10, 2006, 03:14:26 pm
None of this really matters to me, but I would point out that Arkansas' own John Daly manages to walk the courses and compete professionally.  He's really not the poster child of good health.
thats because you can never generalize everyone in a particular sport as in shape or not.  it also has to do with your definition of "in shape".  most professional golfers are in shape, but not to the degree of, say, a basketball player.

Like I said, it really doesn't matter to me.  However, I think what most people consider "in shape" would be the same measure a physician would use.  I can walk all day toting my golf bag, but I can not claim to be "in shape" in terms of optimal weight, body fat, cardio endurance, etc.  I think that's what people are talking about here.

Hugehogsfan

I just think that if you look at the whole equation, the fact that they are swinging golf clubs and doing it well.  Who cares about their physical fitness.  I agree the "man boobs" are bothersome, but you know what half the people I work with have man boobs.  I just think that once again the public opinion of what someone should look like is getting outrageous. 

mtownhog

A couple of years ago Phil Mickelson played in the FedEx St. Jude Classic in Memphis and missed the cut by one stroke.  I had a buddy who was watching him putt on the 18th hole.  As Mickelson was judging his putt, Mickelson's caddy came up to him and said "sink this and we make the cut."  Mickelson missed a fairly easy putt by about an inch and as he was walking off the green he said to his caddy "lets get the **** out of here."  Since then I have never like him.

EastexHawg

April 10, 2006, 04:33:24 pm #53 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 04:41:28 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: mtownhog on April 10, 2006, 04:02:34 pm
A couple of years ago Phil Mickelson played in the FedEx St. Jude Classic in Memphis and missed the cut by one stroke.  I had a buddy who was watching him putt on the 18th hole.  As Mickelson was judging his putt, Mickelson's caddy came up to him and said "sink this and we make the cut."  Mickelson missed a fairly easy putt by about an inch and as he was walking off the green he said to his caddy "lets get the **** out of here."  Since then I have never like him.

Have you ever listened to Tiger cuss like a sailor, throw clubs, and blame his caddy when he hits a drive into the woods at the Masters ("I wanted to hit an iron, but Stevie talked me into driver")?

Have you ever heard "Gentle Ben" Crenshaw cuss a blue streak?

Or Lee Trevino?  I was at a senor event a few years ago, and both the "Merry Mex" and his big, fat caddy were rude as could be to the gallery.  At one point, Trevino's caddy was driving the cart and some people were in front of him...causing him to tell them to "get the f--- out of the way."

Roger Staubach once told an L.A. Ram who sacked him during a regular season game, then talked some smack to him (the Rams won the regular season game) "we'll see you f------ chokers in the playoffs."  Roger is about as classy an athlete as you'll find...but these guys are competitors, and most of them will let fly with a cuss word now and then.

As for whether or not Phil is in shape...whatever.  Augusta National is about 7,500 yards long...if you walked just the eighteen holes themselves, straight down each fairway.  When you combine the areas from tee to green, you're probably talking about walking close to 10,000 yards in a round.  Walking 31 holes, now you're up to maybe 18,000 yards.  That's over ten miles. 

Go try walking ten miles in a day, under pressure, up and down extremely hilly terrain.  Now see how steady your legs are to enable you to drive the ball 320 yards into a landing area that is 20 yards wide.

Most people I know start to lose something in their legs if they bowl three games...and wear themselves out hitting a large bucket of balls at the driving range.

I would like to see the people who talk about Mickelson being an out of shape fatass go through the morning conditioning work he does (he supposedly went through a 3-1/2 hour workout and practice session the morning of the third round at the Bell South Classic last week...then played a few holes of golf on another course before teeing off and walking 18 holes at Sugarloaf), then walk a hilly course.  It might not be quite as easy as it looks.

BTW, is hearing someone utter a cussword once and not being in chiseled, pristine shape make you dislike someone...I'm guessing you don't have very many friends.  And I'm guessing you HATE Reggie Herring.

Oh, one more thing.  Tiger pretty much ended any chance I had of supporting him a few years ago when he made a big stink out of wanting to be paid to play on the Ryder Cup team.  This was after he signed two endorsement deals worth $100 million before he ever swung a club as a professional.

Playing the Ryder Cup just to represent their country was apparently okay with Nicklaus, Palmer, Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Tom Watson, Byron Nelson, and all the other golfers who paved the way for him to make his hundreds of millions...but it wasn't good enough to Tiger.

I'm glad Phil won, and especially glad that he beat Tiger despite the fact that Tiger gets ten times the air time of any golfer on tour.  I expect some day to tune into the U.S. Open and hear, "Davis Love, the leader by four shots, is about to putt for eagle on twelve...but let's go to 16, where Tiger Woods is tying his shoe.  Bobby, are those 16 or 18-inch shoelaces Tiger is wearing this week?"

Tiger is a great golfer, but...ENOUGH ALREADY.  I'm tired of having him stuffed down my throat.  I'm so sick of him I hope he never wins another tournament.

Whataboar™

April 10, 2006, 04:34:08 pm #54 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 04:41:45 pm by Whataboar™
Don't care for Mickelson.
Have on very good authority there's a lot we don't know behind that carefully crafted image.
However, I like watching him play.
A Tiger vs. Phil rivalry can only be good for golf.
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

ElRopo

TorsinAHog

I dont understand why there is all the disdain for MM?  Enlighten me please.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

TheMayorOfHogtown

B/c people like to hate....  And he's from Murray State, right?

idochog

PHONEY PHIL,

dont let the camera fool you.
I love Jesus!

Jerry Swinefeld

I'd just like to see golf have another good rivalry, and Mickelson-Tiger seems to be the best chance.

hoginator

Phil on tv is my favorite player.
Phil in real life I don't know, so I can't judge.
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

mtownhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 10, 2006, 04:33:24 pm

Have you ever listened to Tiger cuss like a sailor, throw clubs, and blame his caddy when he hits a drive into the woods at the Masters ("I wanted to hit an iron, but Stevie talked me into driver")?

Or Lee Trevino?  I was at a senor event a few years ago, and both the "Merry Mex" and his big, fat caddy were rude as could be to the gallery.  At one point, Trevino's caddy was driving the cart and some people were in front of him...causing him to tell them to "get the f--- out of the way."

Roger Staubach once told an L.A. Ram who sacked him during a regular season game, then talked some smack to him (the Rams won the regular season game) "we'll see you f------ chokers in the playoffs."  Roger is about as classy an athlete as you'll find...but these guys are competitors, and most of them will let fly with a cuss word now and then.

As for whether or not Phil is in shape...whatever.  Augusta National is about 7,500 yards long...if you walked just the eighteen holes themselves, straight down each fairway.  When you combine the areas from tee to green, you're probably talking about walking close to 10,000 yards in a round.  Walking 31 holes, now you're up to maybe 18,000 yards.  That's over ten miles. 

Go try walking ten miles in a day, under pressure, up and down extremely hilly terrain.  Now see how steady your legs are to enable you to drive the ball 320 yards into a landing area that is 20 yards wide.

Most people I know start to lose something in their legs if they bowl three games...and wear themselves out hitting a large bucket of balls at the driving range.

I would like to see the people who talk about Mickelson being an out of shape fatass go through the morning conditioning work he does (he supposedly went through a 3-1/2 hour workout and practice session the morning of the third round at the Bell South Classic last week...then played a few holes of golf on another course before teeing off and walking 18 holes at Sugarloaf), then walk a hilly course.  It might not be quite as easy as it looks.

BTW, is hearing someone utter a cussword once and not being in chiseled, pristine shape make you dislike someone...I'm guessing you don't have very many friends.  And I'm guessing you HATE Reggie Herring.

Oh, one more thing.  Tiger pretty much ended any chance I had of supporting him a few years ago when he made a big stink out of wanting to be paid to play on the Ryder Cup team.  This was after he signed two endorsement deals worth $100 million before he ever swung a club as a professional.

Playing the Ryder Cup just to represent their country was apparently okay with Nicklaus, Palmer, Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Tom Watson, Byron Nelson, and all the other golfers who paved the way for him to make his hundreds of millions...but it wasn't good enough to Tiger.

I'm glad Phil won, and especially glad that he beat Tiger despite the fact that Tiger gets ten times the air time of any golfer on tour.  I expect some day to tune into the U.S. Open and hear, "Davis Love, the leader by four shots, is about to putt for eagle on twelve...but let's go to 16, where Tiger Woods is tying his shoe.  Bobby, are those 16 or 18-inch shoelaces Tiger is wearing this week?"

Tiger is a great golfer, but...ENOUGH ALREADY.  I'm tired of having him stuffed down my throat.  I'm so sick of him I hope he never wins another tournament.

You didn't get what I was trying to say. I could care less about him cussing, he intentionally missed the putt in order to get out of the tournament.  I don't know if he disliked something about the tournament or the city or what.  It showed no class at all.

SirCHog

Illinihog

Besides being one big prick.  Meet the guy a couple of times and tell me what you think.

TorsinAHog

We hate all people from Murray, KY?   :puke:
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

12under

Quote from: mtownhog on April 10, 2006, 05:53:56 pm

You didn't get what I was trying to say. I could care less about him cussing, he intentionally missed the putt in order to get out of the tournament.  I don't know if he disliked something about the tournament or the city or what.  It showed no class at all.
i doubt very seriously that he missed the putt on purpose.  his comment probably was more out of frustration than trying to miss the putt to get out of town.  trust me when i tell you i have heard of no one that intentionally misses a putt to miss a cut.  if that were the case, why even go to the tourny or get that close to the cut line.

SiriusHog™

I used to root for Mickelson.. until I saw this... ??? ???

RhodeHog

I haven't liked him since the U.S. Open in Tulsa.  He wasn't signing autographs when I was there for the practice round.  I overheard some 7 year old kid talking, and he was heartbroken. 

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Rhodehog on April 10, 2006, 06:35:37 pm
I haven't liked him since the U.S. Open in Tulsa.  He wasn't signing autographs when I was there for the practice round.  I overheard some 7 year old kid talking, and he was heartbroken. 

I was a volunteer at that Open...  He wasn't very fan friendly.  Tom Kite and Ernie Els were tops.

Hawgon

Sergio was the best I saw at the Tulsa Open about autographs.  We followed him and Jesper during the practice rounds.  Several times Sergio had to run a hundred yards or so to catch up with his group because he was lagging behind signing autographs.  He seemed like a really good natured kid who knew he was lucky to be doing what he is doing.  I wonder if he is still that way?

returntoglory

hes better than the snake charmer vijah singh

hogfan064

Phil's body fat is probably 30% or higher. Sorry that is not in shape.  Like I've said before there are plenty of fat meter readers out there that walk 10 miles a day 5 days a week and that doesn't make you in shape.  Phil is fat, just accept it and move on. 

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

chillinhoggie

excoach

There are alot of great golfers who are over weight. Look at Tim Herron, Craig Stadler, John Daly & Jason Gore. This doesnt make them bad people.

hogfan064

Quote from: excoach on April 11, 2006, 10:15:44 am
There are alot of great golfers who are over weight. Look at Tim Herron, Craig Stadler, John Daly & Jason Gore. This doesnt make them bad people.

Noone stated it made them bad people.  It just means that they aren't in shape.  Just because you can walk a golf course doesn't mean your in shape as evident by the people you listed above

12under

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 11, 2006, 11:01:36 am

Noone stated it made them bad people.  It just means that they aren't in shape.  Just because you can walk a golf course doesn't mean your in shape as evident by the people you listed above
most professional golfers are in "shape", meaning overall healthy and quite physically active.  could they do a triathalon, no, but neither could a lot of football or basketball players.

hogfan064

Quote from: 12under on April 11, 2006, 11:06:20 am

most professional golfers are in "shape", meaning overall healthy and quite physically active.  could they do a triathalon, no, but neither could a lot of football or basketball players.

No, but how many golfers could play football or basketball?  Football and basketball players play golf all the time. I'm sure alot of golfers are healthy, but just because you play golf doesn't mean that makes you healthy.  Remember this is a sport that 60 year old men play every weekend while drunk.  I'd like to see a 60 year old drunk man play basketball.

hawg IQ

I like tiger the least..Its not racial on my part..its because its racial on his part!
go hogs go !

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 11, 2006, 11:12:44 am
Remember this is a sport that 60 year old smokers play every weekend while drunk.  I'd like to see a 60 year old drunk smoker play basketball.

I edited to help make the point.

12under

No, but how many golfers could play football or basketball?  Football and basketball players play golf all the time. I'm sure alot of golfers are healthy, but just because you play golf doesn't mean that makes you healthy.  Remember this is a sport that 60 year old men play every weekend while drunk.  I'd like to see a 60 year old drunk man play basketball.
i know tons of professional golfers that play basketball and many other sports.  if you are asking whether they could do it professionally, not many.  some, but not many.  same can be said of any sport.  i never said that just because you play golf you are healthy, just that most professional golfers are in good, healthy shape.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: 12under on April 11, 2006, 11:48:31 am

i know tons of professional golfers that play basketball and many other sports.  if you are asking whether they could do it professionally, not many.  some, but not many.  same can be said of any sport.  i never said that just because you play golf you are healthy, just that most professional golfers are in good, healthy shape.

As a perennial volunteer for both PGA and LPGA events, I will say that "most" pro golfer are in good physical shape.  However, there are more "out-of-shape" people playing professional golf than in any other pro sport I can think of.  Would you agree with that statement?

12under

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 11, 2006, 11:51:31 am

As a perennial volunteer for both PGA and LPGA events, I will say that "most" pro golfer are in good physical shape.  However, there are more "out-of-shape" people playing professional golf than in any other pro sport I can think of.  Would you agree with that statement?
probably any major sport, if you consider it a major sport.  what about nascar, bowling and things of that nature.  i would say that as a whole, golfers are in better shape than those guys.  i do know that there is an endurance quality that cant be overlooked in nascar.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: 12under on April 11, 2006, 11:55:33 am

probably any major sport, if you consider it a major sport.  what about nascar, bowling and things of that nature.  i would say that as a whole, golfers are in better shape than those guys.  i do know that there is an endurance quality that cant be overlooked in nascar.

I suppose my definition of a 'major sport' has to do with the prize money or salaries involved.  Bowling really doesn't make that grade.  Nascar, maybe, but that's a "motor sport" where the human is not the primary engine as with football, basketball, baseball, golf, hockey, etc.

hogfan064

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 11, 2006, 11:59:55 am

I suppose my definition of a 'major sport' has to do with the prize money or salaries involved.  Bowling really doesn't make that grade.  Nascar, maybe, but that's a "motor sport" where the human is not the primary engine as with football, basketball, baseball, golf, hockey, etc.

I'm not saying pro golfers aren't in good, healthy shape.  I'm saying Phil Mickleson isn't in excellant shape like someone posted earlier.  Someone that's in excellant shape doesn't have man boobs or double chins.  The man has a body fat of probably 30%.  This is where fitness and golf came in on this discussion.  There are some golfers in great shape, Phil is not one of them. 

hogfan064

Also in NASCAR you have to have some muscle as well.  To move that car around the track takes alot of strength.  Especially at tracks like Bristol where you keep getting bumped. The endurance factor is huge.  You can't rest in NASCAR.  It is nonstop action except for 14 second pitstops.  You also got to be able to take a bump.  Getting in a wreck going 190MPH will hurt and if you take a week off to recover from pain you might as well forget the points race.  You have to race every week.  Unlike every other sport where you can take a day or a tourney off.  NASCAR is also a sport that the winner isn't decided until the very end.  This can't be said in most sports. 

EastexHawg

Quote"...Phil Mickleson isn't in excellant shape like someone posted earlier.  Someone that's in excellant shape doesn't have man boobs or double chins.  The man has a body fat of probably 30%."

Wow, I guess I haven't given his physical appearance nearly enough thought.  I don't make it a habit to watch his "boobs". 

After all, I'm only interested in watching him play golf.  I don't want to date him or marry him...

hogfan064

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 11, 2006, 12:59:15 pm
Quote"...Phil Mickleson isn't in excellant shape like someone posted earlier.  Someone that's in excellant shape doesn't have man boobs or double chins.  The man has a body fat of probably 30%."

Wow, I guess I haven't given his physical appearance nearly enough thought.  I don't make it a habit to watch his "boobs". 

After all, I'm only interested in watching him play golf.  I don't want to date him or marry him...

Well, when the discussion is about Phil's physical condition and someone calls it great then pointing out his fat will come up.  If the discussion was whether Phil is a great golfer then I doubt double chins would come up.

I don't want to marry him either, but he lucked out on that wife of his.

12under

i guess i define "good shape" as cardiovascular fitness.  phil, cardiovascularly, would be considered in good shape due to just the amount of physical activity that he does(despite his man boobs).  trust me, what you see on tv or imagine the lifestyle of a professional golfer to be, is just the tip of the iceberg.

hogfankb

I don't understand the point of this conversation. Is he in Tiger, Lebron or Vick shape? Of course not. Are there not examples of guys with "man boobs" in almost every other sport? Yes.

Football = Almost every lineman
Basketball = Oliver Miller
Baseball = David Wells
Hockey = ?? (Who cares?)

12under

Quote from: hogfankb on April 11, 2006, 01:05:48 pm
I don't understand the point of this conversation. Is he in Tiger, Lebron or Vick shape? Of course not. Are there not examples of guys with "man boobs" in almost every other sport? Yes.

Baseball = David Wells
Hockey = ?? (Who cares?)

i think everyone will agree on that.  maybe we should start a thread about sports' best man boobs.  possibly nate newton or the fridge

hogfankb

Quote from: 12under on April 11, 2006, 01:08:42 pm

Baseball = David Wells
Hockey = ?? (Who cares?)

i think everyone will agree on that.  maybe we should start a thread about sports' best man boobs.

That will get you beat up in the Tavern.

hogfan064

Baseball = David Wells
Hockey = ?? (Who cares?)

What's this thing you call hockey?  I know there are athletes in other sports that are fat.  I'm just saying Phil is fat.  I'm not saying all golfers are fat and out of shape.  This is not a knock on golf.  I'm just saying Phil is fat.  Can we all agree on that?

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 11, 2006, 01:13:31 pm
I'm just saying Phil is fat.  Can we all agree on that?

"He's not fat!  He's big boned!"

hogfan064

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on April 11, 2006, 01:18:20 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 11, 2006, 01:13:31 pm
I'm just saying Phil is fat.  Can we all agree on that?

"He's not fat!  He's big boned!"

Kyle "Shutup fatass"

Eric "Screw you guys I'm going home"