Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Richard Davenport saying Morris is HIGHLY respected by Texas HS coaches

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, December 07, 2017, 08:26:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

Richard you said on the Morning Rush that you were blown away by the comments of the Texas HS coaches about coach Morris.  Can you tell us what some of those comments were?

On a personal note:  The recruiting forum just got interesting again to me

TTT out...
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Science Fiction Greg

He's highly respected by a lot of high school coaches, including the one where I work.  I had a 15 minute conversation about Chad Morris with a high school coach in Oklahoma (has coached in Arkansas, too) yesterday.  He said that Chad Morris has always been one of the best coaches he's known, and has a friend that is close to him.  He's the kind of coach you want your kid to play for.  Nothing but glowing reviews.

I told him I went back and watched some videos of SMU's games last season and liked what I saw of the offense.  He said he watched every game of SMU's he could last year because he was already such a big fan of him.  He also said he didn't think Arkansas could get him (in other words, he thought that he might wait for a bigger job).

This coach at least loves him.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 07, 2017, 08:53:41 am
He's the kind of coach you want your kid to play for.  Nothing but glowing reviews.

This is why I think our recruiting has a chance to be better than it ever has with him.  The high school coaches in Texas will be giving their opinions to players on where to go and who to play for.   I think we'll get looks and visits we wouldn't get otherwise.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Roadhog82

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 07, 2017, 09:02:55 am
This is why I think our recruiting has a chance to be better than it ever has with him.  The high school coaches in Texas will be giving their opinions to players on where to go and who to play for.   I think we'll get looks and visits we wouldn't get otherwise.

Very good point. A lot of high caliber receivers and such will want to play somewhere where they can put up numbers. Morris' s style will draw them in

FutureMan

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 07, 2017, 08:53:41 am
He's highly respected by a lot of high school coaches, including the one where I work.  I had a 15 minute conversation about Chad Morris with a high school coach in Oklahoma (has coached in Arkansas, too) yesterday.  He said that Chad Morris has always been one of the best coaches he's known, and has a friend that is close to him.  He's the kind of coach you want your kid to play for.  Nothing but glowing reviews.

I told him I went back and watched some videos of SMU's games last season and liked what I saw of the offense.  He said he watched every game of SMU's he could last year because he was already such a big fan of him.  He also said he didn't think Arkansas could get him (in other words, he thought that he might wait for a bigger job).

This coach at least loves him.

Great info.  Thanks for sharing!  The highest compliment you can give someone in the workforce is the respect from their peers.  Sounds like CMM has that in spades.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Kicking Wing

Do a lot of fans and media live in a freaking bubble or do they just not pay attention to anything not Arkansas related?  I know local radio is that way but not sure about the rest.  Morris has been considered one of the best offensive minds in college football for a while now and it is the most common knowledge that he is extremely well thought of in Texas HS coaching circles.  I cannot believe anyone needs someone to tell them these things.

I realize that a lot of bubbas wanted a name they recognized but as far as actually hiring the type of coach that Arkansas needs to compete in 2017, they got the right guy.

pghawg1

Davenport said he was blown away by the positive reaction Morris had with the High School coaches. That will for sure help recruiting in Texas,since he already has a good relationship with those coaches.

Porcius Magnus

For years I've read complaints about hiring coaches with no ties to Texas recruiting.  Well, they finally got their man (and IMO a fantastic hire) and where are they?  I'm looking forward to seeing this new staff at work and to see what those ties will mean for our program.

BearsBisonsBoars

Let's see...

A&M has a coach who is perceived as having screwed over his players at his last stop.

Texas is trending towards another coaching bust. It's early so thst might not pan out, but Herman did not meet expectations year 1.

Baylor is in shambles.

TCU is strong, but seems to have plateaued.

This strikes me as as good a shot as we're going to get to carve out a chunk of Texas recruiting the way we used to. Glad we have a guy who seems able to do this.

oldhawg

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 07, 2017, 10:35:11 am
Let's see...

A&M has a coach who is perceived as having screwed over his players at his last stop.

Texas is trending towards another coaching bust. It's early so thst might not pan out, but Herman did not meet expectations year 1.

Baylor is in shambles.

TCU is strong, but seems to have plateaued.

This strikes me as as good a shot as we're going to get to carve out a chunk of Texas recruiting the way we used to. Glad we have a guy who seems able to do this.

You forgot Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, both of which practically live on Texas talent.

hobhog

He obviously has a great respect for HS coaches. He said will have 24-7 open door policy for them and former Razorbacks. Excellent thing to say with no prompting.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: oldhawg on December 07, 2017, 10:42:58 am
You forgot Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, both of which practically live on Texas talent.

No doubt they're above us. I'm just saying we have an opportunity to leapfrog some of the others.

HF#1

I think the proof is in the pudding. Not even hours after it was official, a five star qb committed to A&M was open to talking with us. This is an eye opening hire for Arkansas in the state of Texas.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HoopS

OtterHog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 07, 2017, 11:13:18 am
I think the proof is in the pudding. Not even hours after it was official, a five star qb committed to A&M was open to talking with us. This is an eye opening hire for Arkansas in the state of Texas.

but what about his record at SMU?!?!

HF#1

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 07, 2017, 11:14:23 am
but what about his record at SMU?!?!

He's undefeated here, that's all I give a rats ass about. To really answer your question, his record at SMU may be the most impressive by a college coach in the last 3 years.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HF#1 on December 07, 2017, 11:13:18 am

Anybody who has watch Jimbo Fisher rheam a player out (and it happens repeatedly) knows it will not end well for him at TAMU.

The guy can recruit but he can't get the most out of his players.  He ultimately failed at FSU, where he had great, great recruiting classes (never out of the the top five) because he was a prick to work for...

Gonzo

Quote from: HF#1 on December 07, 2017, 11:14:58 am
He's undefeated here, that's all I give a rats ass about. To really answer your question, his record at SMU may be the most impressive by a college coach in the last 3 years.

Even being a bit skeptical about the choice, I think there is much to like about him. But that may be a little over the top. Just off the top of my head, Swinney and Frost may have something to say about that.

Go Hogs!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 07, 2017, 11:29:51 am
Anybody who has watch Jimbo Fisher rheam a player out (and it happens repeatedly) knows it will not end well for him at TAMU.

The guy can recruit but he can't get the most out of his players.  He ultimately failed at FSU, where he had great, great recruiting classes (never out of the the top five) because he was a prick to work for...

83-23 with a national championship, four top eight finishes in eight years, and a 5-2 bowl record is failing?  He lost his starting QB in the first game of this season, otherwise his lowest finish in the coaches poll was #23.  Going into this year he was 78-13 and his .857 winning percentage was third all-time among major college coaches, behind only Knute Rockne and Frank Leahy and ahead of Bear Bryant, Urban Meyer, Barry Switzer, and Tom Osborne.

How is that failing?

Kicking Wing

Quote from: pghawg1 on December 07, 2017, 09:46:13 am
Davenport said he was blown away by the positive reaction Morris had with the High School coaches. That will for sure help recruiting in Texas,since he already has a good relationship with those coaches.
Davenport should probably get out more!  :)