Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For at least one guy, broiler chicken production is the key for the Hogs

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 21, 2018, 05:59:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

This is a ridiculous off season article but this guy (lightheartedly) has a theory that broiler chicken production in the South is the reason for SEC dominance and that due to an increase in production of broiler chicken in Arkansas, that Chad Morris may be the best hope to break up the Georgia/Alabama dominance of the SEC.

From the article:

That intrigue lead me to the undeniable truth that the SEC will continue to be dominated by the University of Georgia and the University of Alabama for the foreseeable future unless the other SEC states begin to invest in their ability to raise, cultivate, and sell Broiler Chickens.

According to the USDA, Georgia and Alabama combined produced almost 28% of all broiler chickens in 2016, which probably explains why those two teams sit atop the college football throne in 2017. All other SEC states combined produced just over 37% of US Broilers – if you exclude Arkansas from that total then you get just under 26%, so I think it's safe to assume that Chad Morris is the SEC's best hope to break up the Alabama-Georgia monopoly. Collectively, the SEC produces a whopping 65.13% of all US broilers, and that contribution to our economy can largely explain why the SEC has won 9 national titles since 2006 while the ACC won 2 due to North Carolina's broiler prowess and the B1G won just 1. Broiler production is virtually non-existent in the west, which explains why the PAC 12 has excluded from the CFP in recent years.

Based on this I think it's fair to predict that the SEC will continue to be dominated by Alabama and Georgia in the near future, but the investments being made by Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi could lead to a more competitive conference top to bottom going forward.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/85slzj/looking_at_the_future_of_the_sec/
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

I saw the title and figured this was another twistup thread... 

I'll read it.  Thanks for posting.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razCzar

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 21, 2018, 06:19:55 am

LOL... I did too.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: razCzar on March 21, 2018, 06:46:34 am
LOL... I did too.

Surprise! At least this isn't about concessions. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

I like your style Muskogee.

This is my theory on broiler production and sec winning. Those big time chicken company execs. love college football. Some of these execs. love it a little more than others and they get these big time recruits by using their big time 'influence'

I'm thinking the execs. in NW Arkansas need to start 'influencing' more 'people' or we might need to have a few heads roll and get some big dogs in here that LOVE some Arkansas Razorbacks.

Lot's of cash can flow through chicken operations - I mean the bag may stink a little, but it's still full of green.

As long as the FBI doesn't start raiding chicken houses, we are good.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on March 21, 2018, 07:17:54 am

This is my theory on broiler production and sec winning. Those big time chicken company execs. love college football. Some of these execs. love it a little more than others and they get these big time recruits by using their big time 'influence'

I'm thinking the execs. in NW Arkansas need to start 'influencing' more 'people' or we might need to have a few heads roll and get some big dogs in here that LOVE some Arkansas Razorbacks.

Lot's of cash can flow through chicken operations - I mean the bag may stink a little, but it's still full of green.

All that's well and good, however, when we're talking commodity production and prices let's not forget those ever lovin' corn dogs. Heck, since this is the life blood of any true and faithful LSU fan we need to monitor this situation closely. If for some reason there was to be a major famine that wiped out hotdog production-along with the coating that surrounds the delicious treat :o-then there would most definitely be a major crisis brewing. I suspect that instead of cancelling school as the state father's threatened to do a year or so back due to budget constraints, obviously this potential development could reignite a crisis due to a food shortage down in Louzzianna. Can anyone that has the know-how monitor this serious potential threat to state and national security ??? Could Tyson with their pork production capabilities some how step in to alleviate this possible catastrophic event?

ricepig

FBI is more interested in the fighting chickens. If the PTB would have let Johnny hire Butch, we'd be flush with chicken feathers.

oldfart

arkansas and georgia swap back and forth as to leaders in brouler production far ahead of alabama

Ex-Trumpet

California was once yuge in broiler production during the Pac-10's heyday.  Maybe there is an unsaid relationship!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Porkys Revenge

There's a direct relationship between the hormones they're getting injected with and it's effects on the human body.

I bet Joseph Stone, the 6 foot 8, 340lb lineman we're recruiting out of Alabama, lives within a 1/4 mile of a chicken house.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 21, 2018, 09:39:09 am
There's a direct relationship between the hormones they're getting injected with and it's effects on the human body.

I bet Joseph Stone, the 6 foot 8, 340lb lineman we're recruiting out of Alabama, lives within a 1/4 mile of a chicken house.

I heard he was raised in Georgia and moved to Trussville, Alabama just a year or two ago. I'm not making this up.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

TexHog188

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 21, 2018, 11:36:41 am
This may be the first book I remember reading. Probably scarred me for life:

https://www.rookebooks.com/product?prod_id=30161

Nobody doesn't like chicken.

My dad grew up during the Great Depression and ate almost exclusively chicken for many years.  After he returned from Europe at the end of WWII, he never ate another chicken, hated them.  When mom made chicken and cornbread for dinner, he would eat cornbread in a glass with milk.  Never Chicken.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

oldfart

regardless of the common misperception chickens are not given hormones or steroids

BallHog1

the hormones they're getting injected
You think they're giving chickens shots?
That would take a while and be pretty labor intensive....

twistitup

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 21, 2018, 12:50:15 pm
You think they're giving chickens shots?
That would take a while and be pretty labor intensive....

it's in the feed

ricepig

PowderedToastMan

There’s a direct relationship between the hormones they’re getting injected with and it’s effects on the human body.

Hormone use in poultry production has been illegal since the early 1960's. It would be quite difficult to administer as well.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

ricepig

Quote from: PowderedToastMan on March 21, 2018, 01:05:28 pm
Hormone use in poultry production has been illegal since the early 1960's. It would be quite difficult to administer as well.

I've heard some of the chicks were hooked on the stuff......

PonderinHog

twistitup

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Tejano Jawg

LOL...I absolutely thought that!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Pig in the Pokey

No way dem FBI Bawz are going into a nasty ass chicken house. #WeStraight
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Porkys Revenge

WBOBO

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2018, 01:12:10 pm
I've heard some of the chicks were hooked on the stuff......
Are you referring to the High Speed chicken feed?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

redleg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 21, 2018, 05:59:40 am
This is a ridiculous off season article but this guy (lightheartedly) has a theory that broiler chicken production in the South is the reason for SEC dominance and that due to an increase in production of broiler chicken in Arkansas, that Chad Morris may be the best hope to break up the Georgia/Alabama dominance of the SEC.

From the article:

That intrigue lead me to the undeniable truth that the SEC will continue to be dominated by the University of Georgia and the University of Alabama for the foreseeable future unless the other SEC states begin to invest in their ability to raise, cultivate, and sell Broiler Chickens.

According to the USDA, Georgia and Alabama combined produced almost 28% of all broiler chickens in 2016, which probably explains why those two teams sit atop the college football throne in 2017. All other SEC states combined produced just over 37% of US Broilers – if you exclude Arkansas from that total then you get just under 26%, so I think it's safe to assume that Chad Morris is the SEC's best hope to break up the Alabama-Georgia monopoly. Collectively, the SEC produces a whopping 65.13% of all US broilers, and that contribution to our economy can largely explain why the SEC has won 9 national titles since 2006 while the ACC won 2 due to North Carolina's broiler prowess and the B1G won just 1. Broiler production is virtually non-existent in the west, which explains why the PAC 12 has excluded from the CFP in recent years.

Based on this I think it's fair to predict that the SEC will continue to be dominated by Alabama and Georgia in the near future, but the investments being made by Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi could lead to a more competitive conference top to bottom going forward.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/85slzj/looking_at_the_future_of_the_sec/

Um....I...I got nothing. WTH?!

I wonder...has this guy ever been in a commercial chicken house? Have any of you? It wreaks of ammonia and chicken crap and pee pee. You can literally see it floating around in the air! One house can hold 30,000 chickens! It is not a human friendly environment! Chickens can handle it. But man! It's hard to breath. My uncle is use to it, though, and so were my grandparents.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

RME

Quote from: redleg on March 26, 2018, 11:41:39 am

I wonder...has this guy ever been in a commercial chicken house? Have any of you? It wreaks of ammonia and chicken crap and pee pee. You can literally see it floating around in the air! One house can hold 30,000 chickens! It is not a human friendly environment! Chickens can handle it. But man! It's hard to breath. My uncle is use to it, though, and so were my grandparents.

Whoosh

woodrow hog call

It's great in August when the birds are 4-5 weeks old and start dying by the thousands because of the heat and humidity. Dig a big ditch and start filling it up.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

oldfart

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2018, 12:57:13 pm
Somebody injects the feed??

hormones are protein based and if eaten will be broken down and ingested like a protein. thats why insulin has to be injected. contrary to poular belief chickens are not given hormones. beef cattle are given a hormone pellet  to allow them to lay down fat in the muscle (marbling) at an early age so the meat will be tender. chickens already have more than enough fat and do not need to be tenderized by a hormone. at one time many years ago if you wanted a big chicken it was an old chicken and tough. so some of them received a pellet of the same type as beef cattle in the back of the neck. this was outlawed in 1957 as a result of the Delaney Amendment to the Food and Drug law.

ricepig

Quote from: oldfart on March 26, 2018, 09:14:14 pm
hormones are protein based and if eaten will be broken down and ingested like a protein. thats why insulin has to be injected. contrary to poular belief chickens are not given hormones. beef cattle are given a hormone pellet  to allow them to lay down fat in the muscle (marbling) at an early age so the meat will be tender. chickens already have more than enough fat and do not need to be tenderized by a hormone. at one time many years ago if you wanted a big chicken it was an old chicken and tough. so some of them received a pellet of the same type as beef cattle in the back of the neck. this was outlawed in 1957 as a result of the Delaney Amendment to the Food and Drug law.

It was a poor joke attempt, as in someone taking a syringe and injecting every pellet of feed.

Been10Hog

HogPharmer

Quote from: Been10Hog on March 27, 2018, 08:28:13 am
Legal way to give our players PEDs. Give it to the chickens and the catfish!!

Put it in the PB&J sammiches
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

little pigee

hog.goblin

Quote from: TexHog188 on March 21, 2018, 12:21:25 pm
My dad grew up during the Great Depression and ate almost exclusively chicken for many years.  After he returned from Europe at the end of WWII, he never ate another chicken, hated them.  When mom made chicken and cornbread for dinner, he would eat cornbread in a glass with milk.  Never Chicken.

There is a Nazi joke in there somewhere, but perhaps it's too soon...

Ex-Trumpet

There is exactly ZERO hormones given to chickens.  This is fake news at its worst.

What chicken companies have done, however, is breed a chicken that gets very large, very quickly, with large breasts...that's where the money is!!

But absolutely zero hormones are administered to chickens--injected, ingested, or otherwise.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

twistitup

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 28, 2018, 09:45:51 am
There is exactly ZERO hormones given to chickens.  This is fake news at its worst.

What chicken companies have done, however, is breed a chicken that gets very large, very quickly, with large breasts...that's where the money is!!

But absolutely zero hormones are administered to chickens--injected, ingested, or otherwise.

Somebody must work for Tyson (or Georges)~

ok,ok... 'growth enhancers'  or antibiotic 'growth promoters'

little pigee

Quote from: twistitup on March 28, 2018, 10:14:56 am

I hear Tyson is focusing on protein, so they have that going for them.

Bacons Rebellion

... breed a chicken that gets very large, very quickly, with large breasts...that's where the money is!!

Money often gravitates to large breasts.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: twistitup on March 28, 2018, 10:14:56 am

Haha, no...just tired of all the bad info out there.

And yes, nutrition plays a yuge roll in performance, just like in sports.  There are folks getting paid $$$ to figure out how to do it better.

And don't even get me started on "free range" bs...

Ex-Trumpet

PonderinHog

twistitup

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 28, 2018, 11:32:33 am
Haha, no...just tired of all the bad info out there.

And yes, nutrition plays a yuge roll in performance, just like in sports.  There are folks getting paid $$$ to figure out how to do it better.

And don't even get me started on "free range" bs...

Free range has nothing to do with nutrition...it's about confinement - true?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: twistitup on March 28, 2018, 01:02:09 pm

Supposed to be, but most people are surprised when they see a "free range" facility.  Organic is yet another topic, that does involve nutrition.

Lady Razorback

As a matter of fact, I have been.  My poultry clients say it smells like money. 

Been in commercial layer houses. 

Been on hog farms. 

It's actually a little frightening how much I know about all of this. 

Lady Razorback

There are companies that raise smaller birds which Chick-Fil-A and Church's used to prefer.  It is challenging though to make any money on smaller birds. 

I had a kosher chicken processing plant in Pennsylvania.  The best tasting chicken really.  But rabbi's had to slit the throats, seriously, and then all the blood is drained before any processing.  I had this young, young staff woman come home and quit after taking inventory there.  Her comment to me was that she was a vegan and found it offensive.  I seriously asked her what in the heck did she expect working for an accounting firm with a niche in animal agriculture. 

I should have made her do an inventory on a hog farm before she left.  You have to wash in and out of every house, and where paper attire.  Yes, all attire is paper.  If you're lucky its only a little under freezing so your hair isn't completely ice. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lady Razorback on March 28, 2018, 08:27:18 pm
As a matter of fact, I have been.  My poultry clients say it smells like money.

Been in commercial layer houses. 

Been on hog farms. 

It's actually a little frightening how much I know about all of this. 

Just like a good landfill. The first time you get a whiff, it smells awful. The deeper and longer that you get into the business, the more it smells like money and the less that you tend to notice the stench.
Go Hogs Go!

Lady Razorback

Quote from: twistitup on March 28, 2018, 01:02:09 pm
Right confinement.  I would not eat free range chicken.  It is tougher and not nearly as tasty. 
I would NEVER eat cage free eggs.  Think about it...

Lady Razorback

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2018, 08:36:31 pm
Just like a
Just like a good landfill. The first time you get a whiff, it smells awful. The deeper and longer that you get into the business, the more it smells like money and the less that you tend to notice the stench.

When it started smelling like money to me, I knew I had to do something different with my life.   ;D