Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transfers

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, January 11, 2018, 07:42:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

farmhawg

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 11, 2018, 03:05:39 pm
Chad will be very successful at Arkansas!
I agree. Hated the last hire but this one will be very good.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 12, 2018, 09:03:54 am
anyone see will Graggs tweet last night?

Lol at Bolin's article? Even Wil knows he's a clickbate blogger.

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2018, 09:28:10 am
Yeah I doubt Will even read the article... just wanted to make a comment about TEs

To be fair I didn't read that garbage either.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2018, 09:28:10 am

lets hope tight ends get a little more action than they did at SMU. At clemson he used the TE a little more.

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 12, 2018, 10:36:13 am
lets hope tight ends get a little more action than they did at SMU. At clemson he used the TE a little more.

They stated when they arrived at SMU that there wasn't a TE on the roster, don't know if it's true or not, but it's been mentioned. Just like everyone thinks the QB will be a dual threat, he'll use what he has foro the team's best interests.

NoogaHog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 11, 2018, 05:28:58 pm
CBB inherited Wise, Flowers, Philon, Spaight, Tevin Mitchell, Chris Smith, and Jamicheal Winston on defense.   Brandon Allen, Jonathan Williams, Julian horton, Keon hatcher, Brey Cook, Mitch Smothers, Grady Ollison,  Travis Swanson, Kiero Small, and  Jeremy Sprinkle on offense.

That was not a 3-9 Team.

Yes, on that team there were NINE players who STARTED an NFL game in 2017. And they went 3-9.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 12, 2018, 10:41:54 am
Yes, on that team there were NINE players who STARTED an NFL game in 2017. And they went 3-9.
I keep bringing up struggling in the Samford game.  That was the game (and the 3-9 season altogether) that made me suspect that Bielema was fools gold. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

East TN HAWG

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 11, 2018, 05:28:58 pm
CBB inherited Wise, Flowers, Philon, Spaight, Tevin Mitchell, Chris Smith, and Jamicheal Winston on defense.   Brandon Allen, Jonathan Williams, Julian horton, Keon hatcher, Brey Cook, Mitch Smothers, Grady Ollison,  Travis Swanson, Kiero Small, and  Jeremy Sprinkle on offense.

That was not a 3-9 Team.

We should never be a 3-9 team, but this team was not a bowl team.  Just listing players does not tell the whole story.  In 2013, BA was the starting QB with no experience.  I believe two of the Oline starters were Skipper and Kirkland as FR.  We lost all our RB's (DJ, Knile Wingo) and Williams and Collins (quality by young) we thrust into the line up.  We lost Hamiltonand  Gragg, so we were starting new WRs. 

On defense, we lost our starting LBs Tank Wright and Highsmith, etc.  Between 2012 and 2013, we lost most of our experience in key positions.  Granted there was some talent (and some that you listed is questionable SEC talent).   

This year we are much deeper than we were in 2013.  We have more 4* on the roster this year.  The talent you mentioned Wise, Philon, Spaight, Winston were all in the first year.  You don't start FR or SO and expect to win on this level.  When Sprinkle came he was a skinny WR being converted to TE, he was not ready in 2013.

rhames

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 12, 2018, 11:23:50 am
We should never be a 3-9 team, but this team was not a bowl team.  Just listing players does not tell the whole story.  In 2013, BA was the starting QB with no experience.  I believe two of the Oline starters were Skipper and Kirkland as FR.  We lost all our RB's (DJ, Knile Wingo) and Williams and Collins (quality by young) we thrust into the line up.  We lost Hamiltonand  Gragg, so we were starting new WRs. 

On defense, we lost our starting LBs Tank Wright and Highsmith, etc.  Between 2012 and 2013, we lost most of our experience in key positions.  Granted there was some talent (and some that you listed is questionable SEC talent).   

This year we are much deeper than we were in 2013.  We have more 4* on the roster this year.  The talent you mentioned Wise, Philon, Spaight, Winston were all in the first year.  You don't start FR or SO and expect to win on this level.  When Sprinkle came he was a skinny WR being converted to TE, he was not ready in 2013.

Actually that team blew at least 3 fourth quarter leads. If I remember correctly.

It was a better team than 3-9

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hogtimes

Well that is a relief....glad you gave us the heads up

East TN HAWG

Quote from: rhames on January 12, 2018, 11:29:27 am

Actually that team blew at least 3 fourth quarter leads. If I remember correctly.

It was a better team than 3-9

I agree, but that transition was still a dumpster fire compared to the one that Morris is inheriting. 

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 12, 2018, 11:23:50 am

Tell that to the champs Alabama.  They played more freshmen than we did that year and won it all.   We were talented and experienced enough to win 6 games.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

jackflash

I think Morris will fare better he comes with  wide open offense something Arkansas has to have. Now we see if he can get defensive players here

bennyl08

Quote from: jackflash on January 12, 2018, 01:44:18 pm
I think Morris will fare better he comes with  wide open offense something Arkansas has to have. Now we see if he can get defensive players here

Has to have? The only times we have won the SEC-W have been sans wide open offenses. But sure, that was under Nutt and the SEC west wasn't as strong.

Under Petrino, the best team we had was in 2010 with a power run game offense balanced by a play action pass deep ball offense. Essentially the same offense we ran under Bielema just executed better.

The closest we have come to defeating Bama was a year with a limited passing game and a 6 yards and a cloud of dust run game. We also beat LSU that year.

We don't have to have a wide open offense. We just need to have a team that executes the play calls well and coaches that can make good calls.

We probably can win big with a wide open offense, if that offense is executed well. However, it certainly doesn't have to be wide open. Petrino's wasn't and we had back to back 10+ win seasons, a BCS game, and a top 10 finish.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawginbigd1

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 12, 2018, 11:32:07 am
I agree, but that transition was still a dumpster fire compared to the one that Morris is inheriting.
This is huge and most these people don't get it, the program was in shambles after that 4-8 season, it is not after this one, this team can be successful this season, that 2013 team had very limited upside, but still should have won 4 or 5.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 12, 2018, 01:25:22 pm
Tell that to the champs Alabama.  They played more freshmen than we did that year and won it all.   We were talented and experienced enough to win 6 games.
They are recruiting and landing 5 stars.  We are not there nor have we ever recruited to that level.  If we are expecting our freshman to come in and start, we will be 3-9. 

I could not find the championship depth chart, but to start the season: offense, defense, KR, PR, deep snapper, kicker.  They started 10 seniors and 8 jrs, 6 soph, 2 FR.  The two freshman were the deep snaper and KR.   

They do not rely on FR to win.  5* FR do help, and will see the field. 

SouthTulsaHog

2013 - Allen hurt his shoulder in the Southern Miss game and was never the same the rest of the season. With that said, if we don't blow leads to Rutgers, Miss St, and LSU, we go 6-6 and go to a bowl game.

Same thing with 2014. That team could've gone 9-3 or 10-2. Blew so many close games that year too

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 06:43:08 pm
Morris inherits even more talent than Bielema did, so hoping that we won't have a throwaway first year under Morris.

Have to disagree.  The depth isn't anywhere close to what Bert had coming in. The pure talent isn't as good either. Save for a handful of players.

Bert's first recruiting class was by far their best.  Morris is going to be hamstrung by this first class as a result of Bert's roster mismanagement. Morris' first class is going to be 8 scholarship players down. It's like he's starting off on probation.

There's going to be some players come in this class that will play in the fall but the lack of numbers will hurt depth and hurt development of some players that could be forced to forego a redshirt year.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Nashville Fan

Someone who follows recruiting please correct me.

10 Spots to fill for 2018
(7) LOIs received for 2018
(6-8) more LOIs wanted for 2018.
So that means Morris expects 3-5 players to transfer after spring?
Pittman or Bust!

bennyl08

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on January 12, 2018, 04:01:24 pm
Have to disagree.  The depth isn't anywhere close to what Bert had coming in. The pure talent isn't as good either. Save for a handful of players.

Bert's first recruiting class was by far their best.  Morris is going to be hamstrung by this first class as a result of Bert's roster mismanagement. Morris' first class is going to be 8 scholarship players down. It's like he's starting off on probation.

There's going to be some players come in this class that will play in the fall but the lack of numbers will hurt depth and hurt development of some players that could be forced to forego a redshirt year.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=655565.msg11325780

I've spelled out the depth rosters b/w the two years here.

Pretty hard to argue that what Morris has to work with in 2018 is worse than what Bielema had to work with in 2013. Even more so if we are talking about what Bielema has left for Morris vs what Petrino left for Bielema because then you have to remove Derby, Collins, Kirkland, Skipper, Henry, and Ellis off of that 2013 depth chart.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SooieGeneris

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on January 12, 2018, 03:50:48 pm
2013 - Allen hurt his shoulder in the Southern Miss game and was never the same the rest of the season. With that said, if we don't blow leads to Rutgers, Miss St, and LSU, we go 6-6 and go to a bowl game.

Same thing with 2014. That team could've gone 9-3 or 10-2. Blew so many close games that year too

This. We led Rutgers by at least 17 at one time then went full-Bert in the 2nd half.

Driving inside the 10 yard line for the winning score vs MSU at LR in a tie game, fumbled, lost in OT.

Had LSU at the 2 yard line with 2 minutes left and I think a 6 point lead, might have been 3-4, went full-Bert and allowed a long pass for a TD right at the end. From a QB who hadn't done anything all year.

That guy could figure out more ways to lose at the end of games than any coach I've ever seen. I can overlook losing one of those 3, maybe LSU, but not three. That team should have been 5-7 probably, same as Petrino's first season.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

ricepig

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 12, 2018, 05:03:10 pm
This. We led Rutgers by at least 17 at one time then went full-Bert in the 2nd half.

Driving inside the 10 yard line for the winning score vs MSU at LR in a tie game, fumbled, lost in OT.

Had LSU at the 2 yard line with 2 minutes left and I think a 6 point lead, might have been 3-4, went full-Bert and allowed a long pass for a TD right at the end. From a QB who hadn't done anything all year.

That guy could figure out more ways to lose at the end of games than any coach I've ever seen. I can overlook losing one of those 3, maybe LSU, but not three. That team should have been 5-7 probably, same as Petrino's first season.

So, he fumbled on the goal line and bit on the stop and go? Now, he made some  dumb decions, but he didn't lose them by himself.

razorback44

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 11, 2018, 07:24:18 pm
I just don't think there's more talent on the roster today than CBB's first year.   Especially the lines.

There's not. Don't let anyone try to pull the wool over your eyes and tell you different.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

stahawg

One of our FBs has learned he will be with Lunney & the TEs.

#1 STUNNA

Johnathan Nance has transferred

ml2200

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 13, 2018, 10:22:51 am

Has he graduated, or is he going to sit out a year?  Didn't expect any juco guys to transfer.

RaisinHog

Man that is weird .. o well good luck mr. Nance

The NewEra

January 13, 2018, 11:24:13 am #77 Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:43:14 am by The NewEra
Those who think a TE or FB will not be used in a CCM offense are sorely mistaken.  Here is a clip of the Clemson / Auburn game that should dispel that theory.

Take notice of No. 30 (fullback Diehl) and No. 83 (tight end Allen)

STLhawg

This is the first I have heard of him leaving.  You would think the WRs would be happy CM was hired.

The NewEra

Quote from: STLhawg on January 13, 2018, 11:24:22 am
This is the first I have heard of him leaving.  You would think the WRs would be happy CM was hired.

If true, it doesn't make a lot of sense, at least to me.

rzrbkman

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 12, 2018, 10:51:21 am
I keep bringing up struggling in the Samford game.  That was the game (and the 3-9 season altogether) that made me suspect that Bielema was fools gold. 

I always like to point out that in that Samford game the defensive line was dominate against our Oline.  How did they deal with that? They hired Samford's Dline coach Rory Segrest.   The same dline coach that that many say didn't know what he was doing when here.   All this to say that is the problem players, coaching, scheme, situation, or just having a bad day?  The answer from day to day is "yes".
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

#1 STUNNA

actually read his tweet wrong... he is not transferring.

EastexHawg

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 12, 2018, 11:32:07 am

Nine NFL starters = a dumpster fire?  LOL.

When the legend and the facts contradict each other, go with the legend.  It's been repeated so often that it must be true.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 14, 2018, 08:45:33 am
Nine NFL starters = a dumpster fire?  LOL.

When the legend and the facts contradict each other, go with the legend.  It's been repeated so often that it must be true.
If you remember back to the great motor cycle ride, we did not go outside to hire a coach because we had several key seniors and thought that we could make a run again.  All those key players left. We ended up starting players in 2013 that were not prepared for 2013.

Also in 2012, the team was not focused on wining,but things such as hot piss.  The culture was very bad.

Many of those 9 were young and needed time to develop.  Swanson/Hamilton were probably the best players on that team.  In 2013, BA, Wise, Flowers,Kirkland, Spaight were not the players they grew into.  To state 9 NFL staters is misleading because most of these had not seen the field prior to 2013.

MORAZOR

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 14, 2018, 08:31:46 am
actually read his tweet wrong... he is not transferring.
So you read his twitter posts, then came on here posting he's transferring?  Hogville at it's best.  SMDH

Seriously pointing out how many 2013 players were not prepared for starting has merit. 

Now, exactly how many players available to start the 2018 season are READY.  As far as appearing to know what to do, none of the O-linemen appear to KNOW what to do.  The TEs have not excelled in the past so will they in 2018.  We have a regressed RB in Whaley.  Will that turn around or is that just what he did and no correction.  Who on D has shown that they can and will play SEC ball in 2018.

If all you had to go on was past performance, we might have 6 players on the entire team that you could rest assured are ready, willing and able to play SEC level football.  Honestly, I am not sure I can name 6.  One Guy I believe in is Pulley, but what if he doesn't come back from the injury for example.  And Agim, most believe he can trim up here, strength up there and smart up over there and make a serious hand, but can he???  MINDSET for 2018, the biggest problem with our team.  When many, many players show regression from their freshman to their sophmore years, somehow, these players are not getting the education necessary to go forth better.  Think Whaley.

EastexHawg

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 14, 2018, 11:56:01 am
Many of those 9 were young and needed time to develop.  Swanson/Hamilton were probably the best players on that team.  In 2013, BA, Wise, Flowers,Kirkland, Spaight were not the players they grew into.  To state 9 NFL staters is misleading because most of these had not seen the field prior to 2013.

Jonathan Williams ran for 900 yards and averaged 6 yards per carry in 2013.  Trey Flowers had 14.5 tackles for loss and 5 sacks.  Philon had the same number of tackles in 2013 that he had in 2014, with 9 TFL and 3 sacks.  Those are just three examples. 

Remember when sophomore Tyler Wilson came in at a moment's notice against Auburn in 2010 and threw for over 300 yards and 4 TDs?  Brandon Allen had more experience than Wilson did at that time, not to mention all the spring and preseason snaps to get ready.  If only he had had the same coaching Wilson had...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 14, 2018, 08:40:45 pm
Jonathan Williams ran for 900 yards and averaged 6 yards per carry in 2013.  Trey Flowers had 14.5 tackles for loss and 5 sacks.  Philon had the same number of tackles in 2013 that he had in 2014, with 9 TFL and 3 sacks.  Those are just three examples. 

Remember when sophomore Tyler Wilson came in at a moment's notice against Auburn in 2010 and threw for over 300 yards and 4 TDs?  Brandon Allen had more experience than Wilson did at that time, not to mention all the spring and preseason snaps to get ready.  If only he had had the same coaching Wilson had...

Brandon Allen spent a year under Bobby and a year under Paul. He did have the same coaching

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 11, 2018, 03:09:26 pm
Have they said it directly? No.  However, with current signees we are at either 85 or 86 scholarships and Morris has said he intends to sign 8 more.  So, ipso facto, some guys are going to be moved along.
Thank you for the clarification...  +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 06:43:08 pm
Hence my line about Bielema doing less with more.

Morris inherits even more talent than Bielema did, so hoping that we won't have a throwaway first year under Morris. However, given the significant philosophy change that Morris is bringing and inheriting a team that was part of a lost lockerroom last year, if Morris only wins 3 games this year, I won't be calling for his firing.

You could call for Morris to be fired?

Who are you, Jerry or Jesus?
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

EastexHawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 14, 2018, 08:51:32 pm
Brandon Allen spent a year under Bobby and a year under Paul. He did have the same coaching

He had less than one year under Bobby Petrino, his 2011 redshirt season.  Tyler Wilson was a third year sophomore in 2010, just as Brandon was in 2013.  The difference is he had played one year under Smiley Smith and one under Bielema at that time.

King Kong

January 15, 2018, 06:24:13 am #92 Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:09:25 am by King Kong
Quote from: EastexHawg on January 14, 2018, 11:44:16 pm
He had less than one year under Bobby Petrino, his 2011 redshirt season.  Tyler Wilson was a third year sophomore in 2010, just as Brandon was in 2013.  The difference is he had played one year under Smiley Smith and one under Bielema at that time.

The real difference was Wilson was throwing to Childs, Wright, Hamilton, Adams and Williams in the Auburn game.

Allen was throwing to Horton, Herndon, a Hatcher who dropped or fumbled every 5th play and a Freshman HH. Pretty mediocre group.

Hatcher and HH eventually improved and then Allen got better. Let's also not forget Sprinkle added 50lbs since that season.That's not even including the shoulder injury BA had that took away the zip on his passes

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 14, 2018, 11:56:01 am
If you remember back to the great motor cycle ride, we did not go outside to hire a coach because we had several key seniors and thought that we could make a run again.  All those key players left. We ended up starting players in 2013 that were not prepared for 2013.

Also in 2012, the team was not focused on wining,but things such as hot piss.  The culture was very bad.

You have to understand that ETH is an avid Petrino supporter. He takes all criticism of that transition to equal somehow that Petrino couldn't recruit. He's blinded by protectionist rage. Your points, no matter how valid, will thud against his forehead without any penetration. You may even show him how it's not directly Petrino's fault, but someone will come behind you with a pic of Petrino in that neck brace and just piss him off again...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

code red

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 11, 2018, 08:40:25 am
Are you guessing this, or have you heard? Let me clarify, have you heard an ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS COACH speak that?
Agreed....at this point we need warm bodirs.  Skeptical.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

No way he goes less than 6 wins with our schedule next year.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

AirWarren

Hopefully we have several transfer...

King Kong

Quote from: AP85 on January 15, 2018, 07:49:59 am

If coach needs suggestions I have about 5-7 that both sides would be happier with the change

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: AP85 on January 15, 2018, 07:49:59 am
Quote from: King Kong on January 15, 2018, 07:55:40 am
If coach needs suggestions I have about 5-7 that both sides would be happier with the change

Go to campus.  Tell the players face to face they don't belong.  They will be at the Smith Center 4pm today.  Or hide behind a keyboard like a coward. Your  call.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

King Kong

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 15, 2018, 07:59:41 am
Go to campus.  Tell the players face to face they don't belong.  They will be at the Smith Center 4pm today.  Or hide behind a keyboard like a coward. Your  call.

I live about 8 hours away or I wouldn't have any issue doing so. Now I won't post their names on a message board out of respect.

But, the players I'm thinking about have already been passed up by younger guys on the roster. Heck, Bielema called these same players out last year in a press conference.