Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Money is On....

Started by Rooka, October 08, 2012, 12:08:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooka

October 08, 2012, 12:08:38 pm Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:10:46 pm by BallHawger
I really hope we snatch up Gruden and I think its a possibility, but let's say that falls through for the sake of argument.

My money is on Art Briles.

I know I saw HoopS post his name in the Gruden threads and I have to agree. I have thought since this search started that he would be not necessarily on my top list but on Long's. In my opinion, I would rather have Holgorson from WVU, but that's not who I see Long wanting at the top of his list.

Briles has an innovative and fast offense. Big time recruiter in Texas. He is only at $1,800,000 a year right now. No problems, as far as I know, with violations or creating bad face for himself or his university. Heisman Trophy winner that wasn't a highly touted guy coming out of HS. He seems to be able to recruit the lesser players the ones in Texas that don't choose the Longhorns or other big time programs and makes a team that can compete with them and beat them.

I am warming up to the idea, but ONLY if we splash the cash for a great DC as well.

Thoughts?

Tim Harris

He worries less about defense than Petrino does.

HoopS

The fact that he replaced a RG3 and still puts up 63 points on the road vs a team Texas couldn't get out of the 30s on....tells me the ole boy can flat run an offense and develop. 

I'd want him to be given the $ to bring in a big time DC. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: HoopS on October 08, 2012, 12:36:45 pm
The fact that he replaced a RG3 and still puts up 63 points on the road vs a team Texas couldn't get out of the 30s on....tells me the ole boy can flat run an offense and develop. 

Put up 63 and still lost. You should NEVER lose a game you score that many points in.

jry04

He had the Heisman winner, and two receivers drafted and only won 9 games in the Big 12.

HoopS

Rooka

This.

If you bring him in for the offensive mind and are willing to pay top dollar for a great DC then I don't see the scoring 63 points and losing being a problem anymore. I mean I wouldn't expect him to come coach an SEC team and beat SEC teams scoring 63 points. With the defenses in this conference that just isn't reasonable. Scoring in the 30s or 40s is not out of the realm of possibility. That's why a great DC is a must and I am sure that is understood. Atleast, I hope it is.

HoopS

I'm pretty certain that whoever we hire will be given the funds to bring in an SEC level staff.   

Rooka

Quote from: HoopS on October 08, 2012, 12:53:23 pm
I'm pretty certain that whoever we hire will be given the funds to bring in an SEC level staff.   
I do too. Not by any sources, but I would believe so as well. If it is a name like Briles, I think many would expect a proven DC.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: BallHawger on October 08, 2012, 12:55:01 pm
I do too. Not by any sources, but I would believe so as well. If it is a name like Briles, I think many would expect a proven DC.

Is that Rick Flair in your avatar?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Killean

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 08, 2012, 04:59:54 pm
Is that Rick Flair in your avatar?

That's will ferrell from the Eastbound and Down
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Rooka

Killean

Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Torqued pork

October 08, 2012, 08:18:50 pm #13 Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:22:16 pm by Bubbaswinestein
If we must hire an offensive guy who doesn't give a rip about having a defense it should be Holgerson. Break the bank if necessary.

navyhog24

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on October 08, 2012, 08:18:50 pm
If we must hire an offensive guy who doesn't give a rip about having a defense it should be Holgerson. Break the bank if necessary.

Holgerson drinks too much for Captain Integrity.

JONAS

I have heard that Briles does not want to leave the state of Texas.

regi

No basketball on grass, does not work at top level of SEC. Briles will not get a call and shouldn't. We play Bama, LSU, AU, State and some years UF, Vols, UGA and Carolina. It is Grown man football, not flag football. Briles can stay where he is.

passinghog

You've gotta wonder about anyone who thinks he should be a serious candidate...

How old is he? 57? Not to mention he's an average recruiter.

We need someone who the players will respect. Why would anyone want to play for Briles?

latrops

Quote from: Showtimehog on October 08, 2012, 09:21:01 pm
You've gotta wonder about anyone who thinks he should be a serious candidate...

How old is he? 57? Not to mention he's an average recruiter.

We need someone who the players will respect. Why would anyone want to play for Briles?

Ten wins at Baylor and a Heisman winner.  He has a solid reputation for fielding good offenses.  I'd be worried about his defenses if he wound up with the Arkansas job, but he does deserve some credit for winning at Baylor.  You have to be a good coach to win there.  I wouldn't be devastated if he wound up with the Arkansas job, though I think that is probably unlikely.