Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball Trivia Thread

Started by GatorHog, June 10, 2015, 09:50:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 11, 2015, 07:42:01 pm
What do these mlb legends all have in common?

Ken Griffey Jr, Sparky Anderson, Tom Seaver, Babe Ruth, Rube Waddell.
Left Handed

Big Nasty 34

Wisco Pig

They share the first name "George."

SPAL

Good guess....

Sparky and Seaver are righties.

SPAL

Wisco scores it.....

Can't stump this guy.

Wisco Pig

I'm decent with MLB, but UCA's college baseball questions are high cheese.

SPAL

George Herman Ruth
George Kenneth Griffey
George Thomas Seaver
George Edward Waddell
George Lee Anderson

GatorHog

Who is the only MLB player to throw an opening day no-hitter?

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

Only time the players on a team had the same average the following day of a game

GatorHog

Big Nasty 34

ucahogfan

GatorHog

GatorHog

Hint: Doesn't manage the Astros, and has won multiple World Series championships as manager

ucahogfan

Quote from: GatorHog on June 11, 2015, 08:18:04 pm
Hint: Doesn't manage the Astros, and has won multiple World Series championships as manager
I know who it is now.  Watching his team on TV now.

JHicks3636

Surely that is not Bruce Bochy

GatorHog

JHicks3636

yes. I knew he played catcher for Houston, but I can't believe he was that thin. LOL. UCA gave hint as they are on MLB Network against Mets

GatorHog

haha - it's Bochy.  I did a google image search for it, and google's best guess was Charley Kerfeld, lol

JHicks3636

If you look really close and squint, you can see him

GatorHog

Which player never played a game at first base?

Ken Griffey, Jr.
Mike Schmidt
Roberto Alomar
Eddie Mathews

JHicks3636

I think I know but will give someone else a chance. My choice did not play another position for over 15 years before finally playing another one.

Waldron_Hog

GatorHog

In what year was the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum dedicated in Cooperstown, New York?

yraciv

Quote from: GatorHog on June 12, 2015, 06:11:25 pm
In what year was the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum dedicated in Cooperstown, New York?

GatorHog

GatorHog

Who came up with the idea of planting ivy on the outfield walls of Wrigley Field?

JHicks3636

Nutty Bill Veeck. They talked about this during a recent game in discussing the new stadium changes. They wondered what Veeck and Wrigley would have thought of the changes.

GatorHog

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 12, 2015, 06:54:09 pm
Nutty Bill Veeck

bingo!  Thankfully the orange baseballs didn't take hold.. nvmd, different guy

GatorHog

JHicks3636

Quote from: GatorHog on June 12, 2015, 06:55:57 pm
bingo!  Thankfully the orange baseballs didn't take hold.. nvmd, different guy
Charley Finley?

ucahogfan

Quote from: GatorHog on June 12, 2015, 06:57:24 pm
"Name That Manager:"

Brad Ausmus.  Hopefully I got it right this time.

razorJAcker

ucahogfan

Quote from: razorJAcker on June 12, 2015, 07:00:03 pm
Buck Showalter
Has to be Buck.  Looks like a much younger him.

JHicks3636

I assume the WH is for West Haven and that minor league team moved in the late 70s so manager would probably be in his 60s

GatorHog

GatorHog

Which pitcher won 27 games on a team that only won 59?

Fergie Jenkins
Phil Niekro
Steve Carlton
Don Sutton
Bert Blyleven

JHicks3636

Carlton with a horrible Phillies team. Won the 1st of his 4 Cy Youngs

GatorHog

Carlton is correct!  The next closest to 27 wins was Fergie Jenkins with 25 in 1974 with the Texas Rangers

JHicks3636

Quote from: GatorHog on June 12, 2015, 07:36:19 pm
Carlton is correct!  The next closest to 27 wins was Fergie Jenkins with 25 in 1974 with the Texas Rangers
Jenkins got nosed out for the Cy Young by Catfish Hunter who had an identical 25-12 record. Just think, 37 decisions. Those days are gone forever. You're making me want to jump in the car and go down to play interactive trivia at TGI Fridays. I can answer some baseball and football questions. Basketball I just whistle and wait for the next question.

GatorHog

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 12, 2015, 07:44:51 pm
Jenkins got nosed out for the Cy Young by Catfish Hunter who had an identical 25-12 record. Just think, 37 decisions. Those days are gone forever. You're making me want to jump in the car and go down to play interactive trivia at TGI Fridays

Let me be on your team - some friends and I played bar trivia last Tuesday and they had like two sports questions out of 5 rounds.  One of them was: Which rival football team does Arkansas play every year in the battle of the boot?  lol

ucahogfan

With the College World Series starting tomorrow, I have a good question for this.  Who ended the college baseball season with a walk-off home run in the championship game in 1996?

yraciv

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 12, 2015, 08:02:12 pm
With the College World Series starting tomorrow, I have a good question for this.  Who ended the college baseball season with a walk-off home run in the championship game in 1996?

Warren Morris - This is my first college baseball memory.

ucahogfan

SPAL

In keeping with the CWS....

Who is the first player to play in the little league world series, college world series, and mlb world series.?

SPAL

Bonus

Name the only other player to do it.