Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown VIII

Started by Hogtropolis™, March 02, 2014, 01:59:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

Let's hope for another exciting season. I can't wait to see this pitching staff in action.

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

The Hogfather

Probably won't do much this year.  May not even win a game....

McKdaddy

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 05, 2014, 03:10:45 pm
Probably won't do much this year.  May not even win a game....

Ha, remember that poster last season that had no sense of sarcasm?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 06, 2014, 10:12:38 am

The Cardinals will be lucky if they come in 6th in the Central Division this year. Why would people be sarcastic? I just don't get it.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

McKdaddy

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 06, 2014, 03:18:09 pm
The Cardinals will be lucky if they come in 6th in the Central Division this year. Why would people be sarcastic? I just don't get it.

True. Anything more than 70 wins would be gravy.

dhornjr1

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 07, 2014, 10:35:10 am
True. Anything more than 70 wins would be gravy.

I don't know why they're gonna bother to play the games. They're gonna make the '62 Mets look like the '26 Yankees.

ucahogfan

Looks like the Cards took a page out of the Braves Offseason Handbook and locked up one of their top young players long term by giving Carp 6 years at 52 million with a team option in 2020 for 18.5 million.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10572804/matt-carpenter-st-louis-cardinals-signs-contract-extension

jrulz83

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 08, 2014, 12:15:20 pm
Looks like the Cards took a page out of the Braves Offseason Handbook and locked up one of their top young players long term by giving Carp 6 years at 52 million with a team option in 2020 for 18.5 million.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10572804/matt-carpenter-st-louis-cardinals-signs-contract-extension

Good deal for the Cardinals. Locks down a core player that was going to get expensive come arbitration and free agency. Carpenter epitomizes a Cardinal fan favorite. I hope he continues to produce and will be glad to see him at third base and leading off for the near future.

pigture perfect

Pretty good scratch for a guy we weren't sure of at the beginning of last year.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ucahogfan

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 08, 2014, 02:56:50 pm
Good deal for the Cardinals. Locks down a core player that was going to get expensive come arbitration and free agency. Carpenter epitomizes a Cardinal fan favorite. I hope he continues to produce and will be glad to see him at third base and leading off for the near future.
Yep, he had an excellent season last year, but I think his WAR might go down with a move to 3B which normally has more production.  No doubt he is a great hitter and the Cards will get their moneys worth out of the deal, but I just don't think he will sustain the WAR he did last year with a move to 3B.

jrulz83

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 08, 2014, 05:27:48 pm
Yep, he had an excellent season last year, but I think his WAR might go down with a move to 3B which normally has more production.  No doubt he is a great hitter and the Cards will get their moneys worth out of the deal, but I just don't think he will sustain the WAR he did last year with a move to 3B.

I concur, his WAR could regress some playing at third; however, if he can post another .390+ OBP leading off, I'm pretty sure everybody will be happy. The lead off spot was a big hole for the Cardinals until he stepped into it. He made the offense move last year by getting on base at a .392 clip. To me, any other production from him is just gravy if he can come close to that again and play strong defense at third.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 08, 2014, 05:57:48 pm
I concur, his WAR could regress some playing at third; however, if he can post another .390+ OBP leading off, I'm pretty sure everybody will be happy. The lead off spot was a big hole for the Cardinals until he stepped into it. He made the offense move last year by getting on base at a .392 clip. To me, any other production from him is just gravy if he can come close to that again and play strong defense at third.
A lot of scouts are expecting him to regress some because he had his best season at the plate as a pro ever.  He didn't even post those numbers in the minors.  He just seems like someone who will have another .300+ type season with 40+ doubles and get on base at a high clip.  Almost certainly an upgrade over Freese.

jrulz83

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 08, 2014, 06:04:50 pm
A lot of scouts are expecting him to regress some because he had his best season at the plate as a pro ever.  He didn't even post those numbers in the minors.  He just seems like someone who will have another .300+ type season with 40+ doubles and get on base at a high clip.  Almost certainly an upgrade over Freese.

I think some regression being expected is fair. I personally believe he's going to be right about where he was last year number wise. Carpenter came out of nowhere and finished fourth in MVP voting last year, like you said best season ever for him. The question is was it a fluke? Looking at his career numbers, yeah, it was. So I get the expectations being lower. I just don't think he will regress much if at all. All reports are that the guy is outworking everybody. I'm banking on that translating to the field.

Poor David Freese, he'll always be remembered for the one postseason run and nothing else. The Carpenter phenomenon made getting rid of Freese easy for fans and management to do.

McKdaddy

Ray Piggers

Tavares played for the first time this spring Friday, and doubled in his first at bat. Scored later on a double by Wong, who had himself a game. First real breakthrough for Wong, who was relieved by his performance to say the least. 3 hits, 2 rbis, and a stolen base.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 09, 2014, 12:29:09 pm
Garcia, on Garcia:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/garcia-this-is-the-opposite-of-a-setback/article_1908ec7a-5853-5b97-b723-f82fdf2eea5a.html

His mind is right, but is it smoke blowing? It certainly sounds like encouraging news for him.  As I have said before, hopefully just a hiccup for him. If he appears in double digit games it would be a very successful season for him.

jrulz83

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on March 09, 2014, 07:16:09 pm
Tavares played for the first time this spring Friday, and doubled in his first at bat. Scored later on a double by Wong, who had himself a game. First real breakthrough for Wong, who was relieved by his performance to say the least. 3 hits, 2 rbis, and a stolen base.

Matheny said Wong just needed to play, I guess he was right. What happens with Taveras could be interesting. I think he starts at AAA, but there is a need for a big bat on the bench. He's not a player the Cardinals want sitting on the bench though. It could get interesting.

What happens with newly signed SS Aledyms Diaz is another intriguing story: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/matheny-eager-to-see-newly-signed-diaz-in-games/article_fb69fbbe-be6f-5e54-b585-fe5bae2b0570.html

jrulz83

March 11, 2014, 06:11:52 pm #18 Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:20:50 am by jrulz83
It sounds like Taveras won't make the team:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/hamstring-hurts-taveras-chances-to-make-team/article_14ccf8bc-082d-5169-a297-d123ea4f8e60.html

So a bench consisting of Ellis, Kozma, Descalso, Jay and Robinson? Or drop Kozma and have a twelfth pitcher?

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 11, 2014, 06:11:52 pm
It sounds like Taveras won't make the team:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/taveras-still-out-probably-won-t-make-team/article_ea0b29d3-1f1a-56d3-ae89-d5fb77b1b778.html

So a bench consisting of Ellis, Kozma, Descalso, Jay and Robinson? Or drop Kozma and have a twelfth pitcher?
I haven't been following real close, but what about Wong? Is he slated to start now?

jrulz83

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 11, 2014, 07:33:51 pm
I haven't been following real close, but what about Wong? Is he slated to start now?

I believe that is the plan unless he falters. He started slow, 0-10 with 4Ks, but had an especially good day today, along with strong performances in his previous two Grapefruit League games:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/wong-has-big-day-at-bat-and-in-field/article_9eae0fbb-7aba-5ab3-9a0d-be419c6db388.html

Today he had a two run homer, double, and made a diving catch if you don't care to read the article.

pigture perfect

I can't wait for real baseball.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 11, 2014, 08:20:32 pm

I can't either, but I have always enjoyed Spring Training. You get to hear about prospects, see them develop, maybe impact the MLB roster. You get to watch an injured player begin his rehab, see a seasoned veteran have a season ending injury and wonder how the team can recover. Daylight saving hits and you get to see different lineups and debate the pros and cons of each one, you get to see the rotation and bullpen form, watch a player that's pressing and see it click for him to relax and just play. It all leads to what should be a national holiday; Opening Day. Maybe it's just a baseball starved hunger, but I really enjoy Spring Training.

jrulz83

It's official, Taveras optioned to Memphis:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/taveras-optioned-to-memphis/article_232c5f29-bea4-5993-a96e-a02fd5dadb96.html

Memphis is where he needed to be even if the ankle and hamstring had been healthy. He needs to play every day, get ABs, and more outfield experience, not sit on the bench in the MLB. When he proves he is healthy and ready, a roster spot with significant playing time will be available.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 13, 2014, 05:59:49 pm
It's official, Taveras optioned to Memphis:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/taveras-optioned-to-memphis/article_232c5f29-bea4-5993-a96e-a02fd5dadb96.html

Memphis is where he needed to be even if the ankle and hamstring had been healthy. He needs to play every day, get ABs, and more outfield experience, not sit on the bench in the MLB. When he proves he is healthy and ready, a roster spot with significant playing time will be available.

Oscar Taveras should be the CF.  He's proven everything he can in MiLB.  Now if they are planning on giving him a week or two to make sure his injuries are fine, that's one thing.  But if they are planning on AS break or later, that's stupid.

jrulz83

Quote from: Baseball Hog on March 13, 2014, 06:53:05 pm
Oscar Taveras should be the CF.  He's proven everything he can in MiLB.  Now if they are planning on giving him a week or two to make sure his injuries are fine, that's one thing.  But if they are planning on AS break or later, that's stupid.

It's hard to put him on the team when he's made 6 PAs in Spring Training. He's proven everything in 186 PAs over 46 games at AAA? I'm thinking they give him a month or or two to get everything worked out, bring him up some time in middle to late May or early June depending on how hurt he really is. The main determinate on when he cracks the roster is team need. The Cardinals are in a rare position of not having to rush him. The Cardinals have continually expressed doubt about him in CF. I don't know why, but they have always spoke haltingly about him being an everyday CF at the MLB level.

McKdaddy

Oklahawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 11, 2014, 08:20:32 pm

Every now and then, between the last pitch of the World Series and the first day Pitchers/Catchers report I find a Venezuelan League or Mexican League Winter League game on MLB network. Otherwise, it is a really dark time for me. ANYTHING that resembles baseball is good!

Regular season games? Gravy.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jrulz83

I don't know if anybody else cares, but here are the Cardinals Spring Training stats with 13 days to go until opening day:

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2014/3/18/5520666/cardinals-spring-training-tracker-which-players-are-getting

Neshek seems likely to make the bullpen, the bench appears to be lacking power if it goes the way I think it will.

pigture perfect

Good to see Wong having a great spring. Just a few more days.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 18, 2014, 04:04:01 pm
Good to see Wong having a great spring. Just a few more days.

Hopefully his spring success will translate to the regular season. I like Bourjos having a .364 OBP. If that carries over, he will be playing a lot.

McKdaddy

No big surprises on rotation to open the season: Wainwright, Lynn, Miller, Wacha and Kelly.

Hogtropolis™

When will Garcia be back and whose spot will he take in the rotation?

McKdaddy

I read an article by Goold yesterday stating that Garcia was to throw 25 pitches off the mound yesterday, but have not seen anything on the outcome of those throws. He'll open up on the DL, the article went on to say, and that if all goes well he will come back in an "unknown capacity". Garcia mentioned in the article that he's going to have to learn to pitch with discomfort as both doctors (Andrews and another famous one I can't recall at the moment) have said his shoulder is structurally fine.

McKdaddy

dacskc

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 06, 2014, 10:12:38 am

That was hilarious, he was pretty indignant.

I can't wait for tomorrow! On a recent Cowherd episode, he claimed that nobody but the most "insane die-hard" fan could watch all nine innings of every game in a season. I've done it several years straight (after discovering the Sports Pack when we got satellite) so I guess I must be one of "those" people

DeltaBoy

Hooray it is Opening Day!!!!!! 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Hogfather

Worst Cardinal team ever.  We'll be lucky to finish ahead of the lowly, sorry arse, pathetic Cubs.

pigture perfect

The Hogfather

jrulz83

This should be an interesting opening day match-up. Hamilton vs. Molina, (Molina has given up 294 stolen bases and has 236 CS in 1195 games) Wong and Bourjos vs. Brayan Pena (who has given up 203 SB and has 83 CS in 302 games), I'm hoping to see some running today.

dacskc

I want to see some solid D up the middle and hopefully a little more offense from the three new guys (I guess Wong still counts as new) as well. Last year was dismal.

jrulz83

This game with Spanish speaking announcers on ESPN3 is way better than listening to Al Hrabosky.

The Boar War

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 31, 2014, 03:14:57 pm
This game with Spanish speaking announcers on ESPN3 is way better than listening to Al Hrabosky.

You can turn back.  It's Ricky Horton.

dacskc

Waino looking awesome.

I will admit (as a spelling nazi) that Jhonny Peralta is going to bug the crap out of me.

jrulz83

Quote from: The Boar War on March 31, 2014, 03:32:43 pm
You can turn back.  It's Ricky Horton.

The bad thing is, he is barely tolerable to me, too much talk of the Dodgers and Tommy Lasorda love. It's no wonder that Dan Mclaughlin has had multiple DUIs listening to those two, I feel his pain:

I'll stick to the Spanish broadcast, I understand a number every now and then.  :)

dacskc

This 8th inning is unbelievable. They're trying their best to give away Waino's 100th win.

jrulz83

Quote from: dacskc on March 31, 2014, 05:51:16 pm
This 8th inning is unbelievable. They're trying their best to give away Waino's 100th win.

That was an U-G-L-Y one, but C-Mart picked the defense up.

dacskc

2014 off to a great start! Congrats to Wainwright. Hope Wacha picks up where he left off :).

pigture perfect

magic number is 161. And we beat Cueto. Awesome.