Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RIP Joe Garagiola

Started by ricepig, March 23, 2016, 03:47:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Gosh, had no idea he was that old.  I'll remember him as one of Curt Gowdy's sidekicks on the Saturday Game of the Week when I was young.  Not sure if he was before or after Tony Kubek.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

ya beat me to it. I was just going to post about this. Isn't he the one that pushed the coffee makers back in the 70's?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 23, 2016, 03:51:06 pm
Gosh, had no idea he was that old.  I'll remember him as one of Curt Gowdy's sidekicks on the Saturday Game of the Week when I was young.  Not sure if he was before or after Tony Kubek.

Yeah, it just further cements in my brain that I'm getting old. My physical attributes prove I am, but in my brain I'm thinking differently. NBC baseball game of the week, the only one you watched on TV that week, now you can watch them all.

Vantage 8 dude

Sorry to see the news of his passing. However, 90 y.o. ain't a bad life......I'd take it.

ricepig

IronMountainHog

Charlie Browns favorite baseball player.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 23, 2016, 03:51:06 pm

I think they overlapped.  Garagiola took over after Kubek left, if I recall correctly.

Joe was a good announcer, much better than he was as a player.  He and Yogi grew up in the same area, both MLB catchers.  Joe was the one who couldn't hit.

EastexHawg

Well, now that I look at it he had a .257 lifetime batting average.  Better than I thought...

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 23, 2016, 04:15:04 pm
Well, now that I look at it he had a .257 lifetime batting average.  Better than I thought...

Well, today that's worth about $6m a year, back in Joe's day, lucky to keep playing.

bolo

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 23, 2016, 03:51:12 pm
ya beat me to it. I was just going to post about this. Isn't he the one that pushed the coffee makers back in the 70's?
dimagio
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 23, 2016, 04:12:29 pm
I think they overlapped.  Garagiola took over after Kubek left, if I recall correctly.

Joe was a good announcer, much better than he was as a player.  He and Yogi grew up in the same area, both MLB catchers.  Joe was the one who couldn't hit.

Toss Bob Ueker in there too.  All guys whose fame came as much for things they said and did off the field than what they did on the field (though Yogi was an all-time great).
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Tejano Jawg

That MLB game of the week was a big deal when I was a kid. Joe was a good one...a big part of my TV-watching back then.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

PonderinHog

Say it ain't so, Joe.   :(

DeltaBoy

Damn I gotten Old I remember him Calling the Red Birds on the Radio and later on TV. RIP
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PeabodyHawg

He also used to do color for the Westminster Kennel Club Championship.

The bumbling commentator in the Mockumentary "Best in Show" was based on Joe.

jswineberiaskirk

He and Kubek did the games together after Gowdy and Kubek

Rev. Jerry Falwell

Who's next?  Mr. Wiffle?

NT Rev
Goats are handy...milk, cheese, mower, fertilizer, sex toy, BBQ.  They're like the swiss army knife of animals.......you can quote me on this....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Rev. Jerry Falwell on April 15, 2016, 05:43:31 pm
Who's next?  Mr. Wiffle?

NT Rev
Actually I think it'd likely be Mr. Whimple of Charmin' toilet tissue fame. Remember, DON'T squeeze the Charmin'.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Rev. Jerry Falwell on April 15, 2016, 05:43:31 pm
Who's next?  Mr. Wiffle?

NT Rev

Up until a couple days ago, my guess would have been Yul Brynner. :'(
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Jackrabbit Hog

James Franco.   (Great great grandson of Generalissimo Francisco Franco).

And he's still dead.