Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Player Meeting is Over

Started by FANONTHEHILL, December 06, 2017, 05:04:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

Serious question.
Is it necessary for players to "love the coach" in order to have a successful team?
Is Saban, Petrino, Sweeny, etc loved?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 06, 2017, 05:16:12 pm
Who needs defense?! Smh

He better deliver Venables or this is doomed to fail.
This is my non-signature signature.

committedtothetusk

Quote from: JtBrash on December 06, 2017, 05:42:34 pm
Heard that no names were named specifically at the meeting, for DC hire, But a name was implied. A name worth the wait to see.

You've got my attention, I'm intrigued

PharmacistHog

Quote from: elksnort on December 06, 2017, 05:43:43 pm
Serious question.
Is it necessary for players to "love the coach" in order to have a successful team?

Petrino being loved is what got him fired.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PonderinHog

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 06, 2017, 05:23:14 pm
I just wonder why so many of you are convinced we can compete for sec titles with this hire. What evidence leads anyone to believe that?

As long as fans allow the ptb to continue screwing us, then we deserve it.
Haven't competed for SEC title since 06. Boner Bob's best year we were 3rd in our division.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

BorderPatrol

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 06, 2017, 05:47:26 pm

I like you a lot more than I used to, you old grouch.

bp

wachhog

Quote from: pigasaurus on December 06, 2017, 05:49:39 pm
Haven't competed for SEC title since 06. Boner Bob's best year we were 3rd in our division.
And 5th in the nation. If Chad can get us in the top 15, I'll be happy.

Boarcephus

Serious question.

DJ Williams said the TE's would gather around before practice and pray they'd make it through a Petrino practice.  Showed up for a Bielema practice and it was laid back, music playing, have a good old time.  Petrino won and Bielema didn't so I'd say no.  ;) 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 06, 2017, 05:43:18 pm
It's a new day!  The slate is clean.  FOTH, I hope your son decides to stay with the team.  Thanks for all you bring to this board (of ________.)   ;)

Brownnoser.   ;)

Thanks for the report FOTH.  I have to think Morris will find a homerun DC with the budget he likely has to work with. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

casken

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 06, 2017, 05:04:34 pm
Coach Morris met the team at 4:30.  My son said simply, "we love him".  Get ready for some up tempo football. 

Sounds very encouraging!
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

The NewEra

casken

That weren't no player...not in the strictest sense anyhow...
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Kneph13

Coach Morris met the team at 4:30.  My son said simply, "we love him".  Get ready for some up tempo football.

Glad to here.  Thanks for the news,FOTH.  Waiting on your summation.
There is no Political Correctness in war

JaketheSnake

Serious question.
I believe Sweeney is more of a players coach than a Saban/ Petrino type. 

ChicoHog

Serious question.
Swinney.  He's more of a players coach, CEO type like Bielema.  He is an awesome recruiter though. 

hawgdavis

Pig in the Pokey

I just wonder why so many of you are convinced we can compete for sec titles with this hire. What evidence leads anyone to believe that?

Houston Nutt competed for titles here.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

porkrindjimmy

We will pay upwards of 2 million for a DC. 2.5 million if it was Venables. It this guy gets a stout DC who can recruit.

In 2 to 3 years, this team will be down right dangerous.

PRJ

oldhawg

Clemson was Dabo Swinneys first head coaching job.
Lou Holtz was 13-20 his first three years as head coach.
Frank Beamer started 24-40-2 at Virginia Tech.
Mark Dantonio was 11-12 his first two years as head coach.
Art Briles was 16-20 his first three years as a head coach.
Les Miles was 12-12 his first two years as a head coach.
Oklahoma was Bob Stoops first job as a head coach.
........ and more ........

There are plenty of examples of highly successful head coaches not starting out as winners on the field.  On the other hand, look at Arkansas's most recent experiences in hiring former D-1 coaches with winning records ----- Bret Bielema, John L. Smith, Bobby Petrino, Danny Ford.

Optimism is a state of mind.  Until I have seen the product on the field, I choose to have high expectations and positive feelings about the new coaches potential for success.  If Morris crashes and burns, I'll deal with the disappointment later.  In the meantime why not enjoy the journey, before we get to the mountains.

That's why some believe that the Razorbacks can compete in the SEC.

Time to roll the dice.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2017, 05:20:53 pm
Not really, who was Norvell going to bring in?? And he was my #1 choice followed by Kiffin.

Which is where we are with this hire or a Norvell hire.. what about defense.. we are in the SEC..Sumlin ran a spread with much better talent and that didn't work to well, not saying Morris can't be a better coach but you need a solid defense ...the hurry up puts so much stress on the defense.. If you notice Gus's best 2 years he had a pretty good defense..and he used less up -tempo

My choices were Kiffin and Brown because of defense. not offense.. ..the DC is a very important hire for CCM... hope for the best..

JOKERHOG

Quote from: pigasaurus on December 06, 2017, 05:49:39 pm

Yeah, with a possilbity of playing in the nationwide title game up until the last weekend...
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Dominicanhog

What did they think about CBB?

daBoar

We've got a light in the sky, motorcycle love

The NewEra

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 06, 2017, 06:39:42 pm
We will pay upwards of 2 million for a DC. 2.5 million if it was Venables. It this guy gets a stout DC who can recruit.

In 2 to 3 years, this team will be down right dangerous.

PRJ

People use the term home run or splash hire a lot, but as far as the D-Coordinator position goes, we really need that type of hire.  Plus, as you said, he has to be one great recruiter.  This seems to be as important a hire to most of us Fans as the actual head coaching hire was.

jgphillips3

MojoHog

Serious question.

Bama players respect Saban so much that they probably do love him. It's one thing to be "respected-loved" and "loved-loved". Sure they probably don't like him when he's yelling at them, but the same could be said for your parents when you were a kid. When you respect someone so much that you would be willing to run through a brick wall that could be consider "loved". The same goes for parents of the players. They respect Saban so much that when they have a meet for the first time the parents probably walk away with the feeling of "This guy will get my kid better and keep him in line and I love him for that".
Go Hogs!
Go Pack Go!

HiggiePiggy

Who needs defense?! Smh

Yeah. I am sure we understand now that you don't like the hire.  It's over get over it. He will be here at least 4 years. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

kennypig

I wonder what Rafe Peavey has to say ?

Laughing Hog

Quote from: RazrRila99 on December 06, 2017, 05:06:32 pm
@FOTH - does your son have any preferences on who he'd like his next O-Line coach?  With Kugler (from UTEP) available, would he fit with Morris's style?  Guy is intense, great coach, and a pretty decent recruiter.  Thats all I know about him, dont know if the styles would fit though.

I just saw that the SMU coach was coming over, I was hopeful they would get Kugler

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-coach-chad-morris-reportedly-bringing-several-assistants-smu/

Several members of the SMU staff are coming with him, according to multiple reports. These reports followed another that said offensive coordinator Joe Craddock would also move to Arkansas

wide receivers coach Justin Stepp

Dustin Fry, the offensive line coach
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

snoblind

Only a fool believes any of the names, including this one, meant we were automatically competing for SEC titles.  We've been in the CG game 3 times.  None under the coach with best 2 year record since we have been in the league.

Excuse the rest of us who would like to see how things go before throwing a fit.

Matt Burks

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 06, 2017, 05:55:22 pm
DJ Williams said the TE's would gather around before practice and pray they'd make it through a Petrino practice.  Showed up for a Bielema practice and it was laid back, music playing, have a good old time.  Petrino won and Bielema didn't so I'd say no.  ;) 
Maybe this explains why the broke down in 2nd half in games

JONAS

Quote from: JtBrash on December 06, 2017, 05:42:34 pm
Heard that no names were named specifically at the meeting, for DC hire, But a name was implied. A name worth the wait to see.

Cool.  It doesn't have to be Venables.  He could bring in somebody who is young and out to prove himself.

JONAS

Quote from: Matt Burks on December 06, 2017, 07:02:28 pm
Maybe this explains why the broke down in 2nd half in games

That and he made no halftime adjustments whatsoever.

Wildhog

Thanks for posting.  Excited to see this offense.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

LawyerHog50

This.

The players are supposed to be mean, nasty machines out on the field.

Being nice makes them nice. Being mean makes them mean.

I hope Chad "13-24" Morris has that figured out by now.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

ricepig

Yeah....and I walked in the snow 5 miles to school every day and back home, it was also up hill both ways. We all seem to think it was lot harder when we did something, than our predecessors. Somewhere in the middle, the truth lay.

Pigstie

There was a tv camera in the meeting as well. Will it ever be shown?
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

LawyerHog50

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2017, 07:12:32 pm
Yeah....and I walked in the snow 5 miles to school every day and back home, it was also up hill both ways. We all seem to think it was lot harder when we did something, than our predecessors. Somewhere in the middle, the truth lay.

No. Petrino worked them like dogs during the offseason and during the season. and that's putting it nicely.

175 plays in a scrimmage was normal.

what did Bert have? 75?
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

Scott7703

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2017, 05:18:01 pm
Venables isn't coming, if that's what you are banking this hire on.

What if he does come?

Inhogswetrust

Who needs defense?! Smh

I bet your wife wakes up every morning looks over seeing you and thinks "damn he's still here".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AflacHawg

Quote from: JOKERHOG on December 06, 2017, 05:31:24 pm
I was never able to do that with BB but I can see why Morris was hired.  Definitely the right direction with the offensive philosophy.  Defense can't be worse than BB's so why not try to score more points...

Yepp thats what Norvell did to Morris.

deedster84

DOGALUM

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 06, 2017, 07:21:58 pm
I bet your wife wakes up every morning looks over seeing you and thinks "damn he's still here".
that is funny
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

rljjr

Quote from: casken on December 06, 2017, 06:14:57 pm
That weren't no player...not in the strictest sense anyhow...

She was on a scholarship of sorts.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

JONAS

DoubleReedHawgCaller

It's time to hang out at #chad'spad and get behind him and the team or find somewhere else  to display your negativity because these guys have seen enough of it from our fan base. Time to saddle up and man up. (Me included.)
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....