Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Welcome Coach Morris - What's a realistic first-year expectation?

Started by Hog Milanese, December 06, 2017, 01:30:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What's a realistic first-year expectation?

4-8
5-7
6-6
7-5
8-4 (or better)

Hog Milanese

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I said 5-7... Gonna be a bunch to retool, and one helluva time conditioning for the guys already on the hill... It really all hinges on the O-Line.. Enos did a stellar job with QB's compared to any time before Petrino. The QB battle will be fun to watch. I think 6-6 on the high side.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GringoHog

Might go 0-12.  Might take 7 years to win an SEC game like the Bielema era.  I've heard that the group of players on the Hill is rich with talent, the schedule is favorable.  I'm overly optimistic but I could see a 7 win season.  The cupboard isn't bare like when Morris arrived to SMU.
"There are Lions, Tigers and Bears ,but there ain't but one Razorback!" - HDN The Great

hawgball40

I say 4-8. Set the bar low and see where he can get us. He holds himself accountable for his teams short comings. I will be happy if he wins 4 games, but i think there is an outside shot if he wins bielema's players over and gets them ready, we could  be a pretty good, albeit slow team.

phadedhawg

I imagine Bert's players are looking for a reason to have hope.  It was obvious they loved their coach but they didn't play like they thought they could win a game vs a decent team.  This should give them a new lease on life.

But the talent issue is what it is, I voted 5-7

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

coachingsearchbro

I think it mostly depends on whether he can get the offensive line play turned around before next season.

I think 6-6 is likely, 7-5 is definitely possible:

2018 Arkansas Football Schedule
Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS WIN
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State WIN
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS WIN
Sept. 22 – at Auburn
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas)
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS WIN
Oct. 20 – TULSA WIN
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT WIN
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State TOSS UP
Nov. 24 – at Missouri TOSS UP

MontanaHog

6-6 minimum. Run the table out-of-conference (admittedly CSU in Ft. Collins won't be easy), Vanderbilt, and please, dear God, Mizzou. And in 2019 we have to finally beat the Aggies.

AirWarren

Got a LOT of weight to lose.

Ready for body by herb to see his way out.

tasteslikechicken

Hog Milanese

My vote is 6-6. That's what I'd be "okay with" at this point.

gawntrail

HotlantaHog

I voted 6-6.

1. There are big holes in talent -- offensive line was terrible this year, defense worst in Arkansas history, special teams poor, no consistent threats in skill positions like WR and running backs.
2. There will be some mismatches between the skills the players do have and what fits in the Chad Morris faster-paced offensive system.
3. The schedule is incredibly easy for an Arkansas schedule (though honestly not sure how Colorado State and Tulsa will be.)
4. Much of the SEC will be less than awesome. It's a top-heavy league dominated by Auburn, Alabama and Georgia.

Put it all together and the likely outcome is somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5. With good luck could be at the high end or better. With bad luck (transfers, injuries), could be at the low end.

(Worth noting this year's schedule looked on the easy side too-- and Hogs ended up 4-8 and were a couple plays from 2-10.)

RazorChuck

Probably 1-11, may improve in year two, but probably never get over 4 wins per year.

RazorChuck

Quote from: coachingsearchbro on December 06, 2017, 02:09:38 pm
I think it mostly depends on whether he can get the offensive line play turned around before next season.

I think 1-11 is likely, 0-12 is definitely possible:

Sept. 8 – at Colorado State LOSS
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS LOSS
Sept. 22 – at Auburn LOSS
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas)LOSS
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS LOSS
Oct. 20 – TULSA LOSS
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT LOSS
Nov. 3 – Open Date Possible LOSS
Nov. 10 – LSU LOSS
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State LOSS
Nov. 24 – at Missouri LOSS

hogsanity

Everyone needs to stop counting Co St as a easy win. Hogs go on the road in only their 2nd game trying to install a new offense, with, possibly a FR, RSFR or Soph Qb, maybe a new defensive scheme, and will be playing at altitude as well. NOT an easy 2nd game out for a program retooling.

I'd say a REALISTIC expectation is 5 or 6 wins.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

supersaint

My analysis shows that we should expect a 41.67% increase in wins.  Looking at 5.668 wins. I'll post more later once I can take a break from making bank and put my charts together. 
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

HF#1

6-6 is a solid goal. Schedule is setup to make a bowl game in part because Long thought he was going be able to use it to justify another year for Bielema.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RazorPiggie

4-0 in the non conference. I think we could beat Ole Miss, Vandy. Tossups will be aTM, Miss State and Mizzou.

HawgWyld

7-5. That's four wins in the OOC schedule and 3-5 in the SEC. Realistic record with a new coach and the talent on hand.

Coondog Hog

talent level is better than those who coached it. 7 or 8 wins is possible
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on December 06, 2017, 02:37:03 pm
6-6 is a solid goal. Schedule is setup to make a bowl game in part because Long thought he was going be able to use it to justify another year for Bielema.

How so? Hogs were supposed to play Michigan, until they bailed out, so just how did Long set it up to make a bowl? SEC schedule is set by the SEC office.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The OTR

arsuperhog

Quote from: supersaint on December 06, 2017, 02:35:27 pm
My analysis shows that we should expect a 41.67% increase in wins.  Looking at 5.668 wins. I'll post more later once I can take a break from making bank and put my charts together. 
you forgot to carry the one and account for inflation. My statistics show 7.6666666666666667 wins in year one.

100percentFactz

5-7. 6-6 If his buddy gus gives him a free win. That's what friends are for.  ;D

supersaint

Quote from: arsuperhog on December 06, 2017, 02:54:56 pm
you forgot to carry the one and account for inflation. My statistics show 7.6666666666666667 wins in year one.

I guess you've been studying common core and it rotted your synapses. 
Does your mom know that you have the computer?
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: coachingsearchbro on December 06, 2017, 02:09:38 pm

I think 6-6 is likely, 7-5 is definitely possible:

Sept. 8 – at Colorado State WIN
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS WIN
Sept. 22 – at Auburn
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas)
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS WIN
Oct. 20 – TULSA WIN
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT WIN
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State TOSS UP
Nov. 24 – at Missouri TOSS UP

This is where I am.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 06, 2017, 02:43:17 pm
4-0 in the non conference. I think we could beat Ole Miss, Vandy. Tossups will be aTM, Miss State and Mizzou.

If we beat the Aggies, they will melt so hard. That one is circled on my calendar. Most important on the schedule.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

ICEman

The SEC is going to show this new hire a good hearted butt whoopin' during his first year. A record of 5 and 7 probable.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

FutureMan

I went with the conservative 5-7.  A new system to break in always results in some growing pains.  But there is also the new coach bump and excitement; schedule is favorable, too.  All said, 5-7 seems right.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

GoHogzzGo

7 wins due to schedule. I could except 6 since he is changing scheme so significantly.

That being said I'll give dude several years to get his system and players in place before getting the pitchfork out.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

PerfectMedium

I was gonna say 5-7 until I looked at the schedule. We could easily go 7-5

HWY 7

If we go 6-6 I think you have to consider it a success, comparatively speaking.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

RexMentor

You should ask this question after he names a defensive coordinator. Defense will determine what kind of season we have.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Hog Milanese on December 06, 2017, 01:30:33 pm
What's a realistic first-year expectation?
4 games we should win
The 2 Miss schools games, 1 for sure
Mo and Vandy 50-50
I think 7 games

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Billy Bats

Six reg season, seven with the bowl game.  This dude is going to be legit. 

Boardon Hamsay

I shall bookmark this thread and return once I have more info (staff, recruiting class finalization, etc.) but based on what we know right now, 6-6 feels like a fair starting point.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Tortfeasor