Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

About Chad Morris:

*  Turned 49 on Monday

*  High school head coaching record:  169-38

*  Clemson record year before Morris became OC:  6-7

*  Clemson record while Morris was OC:  42-11

*  SMU record year before Morris became HC:  1-11

*  SMU record under Morris:  14-22 (7-5 in 2017)

*  High school QB

*  One of four FBS head coaches who did not play college football; the other four are Paul Johnson, David Cutcliffe and Mike Leach

Chad Morris grew up just east of Dallas during a time when Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M, SMU and Houston were often ranked in the Top 10.  He knows that Arkansas is a program with a high ceiling.  Clemson's run began when Morris became OC.  Nothing in Clemson's history would indicate it could sustain the success it has sustained since 2011.  Dabo Swinney credits Morris for helping get it started.  Malzahn decided to stay at Auburn but said if you want the closest thing to me go get Chad Morris.

A lot of folks here have said they want a coach who can do more with less.  Morris proved he can do that in large Texas public high schools, where you can't recruit your way to success.  The only way to sustain the kind of success Morris sustained in Texas high school football is to out-develop, out-prepare, and out-coach your opponents.  Morris has proven that he knows how to build and he knows how to win.

At 49, Morris is the right age to step up to a program like Arkansas. Norvel at 36 needs some seasoning.

Recruiting is where Morris can take Arkansas to the next level.  You can't judge him by his rankings at SMU, where football has been suppressed since the NCAA embarrassed an elite academic school with the death penalty.  SMU has been apologizing for fielding a football team ever since.  Morris recruited Deshaun Watson.  In the four years before Morris joined the Clemson staff, the Tigers' average recruiting ranking was 21.  They averaged 12 during Morris' four years at OC.

Morris coached high school teams near Houston, Austin and Dallas.  Houston and DFW is where Arkansas's best teams, some of whom Morris grew up watching, were built.  DFW, especially, is in the Arkansas footprint for football and for students in general.  As for Arkansas, Morris should have no problem establishing relationships with high school coaches.  He is one of them.  His offense is what most of them run.

With the salary Morris will require, Arkansas can afford an elite DC and will get one.  Will it be Venables?  Who knows?  But money talks.  The notion that there are no good defensive players in Arkansas's footprint is bunk.  An elite DC will find them and sign them for an opportunity to play in the SEC in the finest facilities.  If Jeff Long did anything right, it was upgrading the players' facilities.  The locker room, etc., will beat many NFL locker rooms.

Hogville posters will continue to gnash teeth because the BOT didn't bring them the shiniest new media darling, the one who tweets the best or the one who just won the most.  But the BOT is filled with some of the best minds in the country.  Those guys are all badasses with badass friends who know football in general and Arkansas football in particular.  They had good reasons for their decisions.  Decisions having nothing to do with access.  If they want access they do what they have done for decades - pick up the phone.  They want to do what is best for Arkansas, and that means winning.  The news on this head coach will be gone by Christmas.  Winning will put butts in seats and keep them there.  Hell, maybe it will even keep students in the stands after halftime.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

FANONTHEHILL

This is a solid hire.  The excitement level in the building will go up and it should in the fan base as well.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bphi11ips

Great link from FOTH and must reading for everyone here.

DeltaBoy

He going to be great!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

RME

Good post.

Would also like to add:

* Tulsa total offense in 2009: 54
* Tulsa total offense in 2010 (Morris): 8

*Clemson total offense in 2010: 82
*Clemson total offense in 2011 (Morris): 16
*Clemson total offense in 2012 (Morris): 8
*Clemson total offense in 2013 (Morris): 12
*Clemson total offense in 2014 (Morris): 55 (DeShaun Watson's first year)

transplant

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 06, 2017, 09:13:55 am
About Chad Morris:

Recruiting is where Morris can take Arkansas to the next level.  You can't judge him by his rankings at SMU, where football has been suppressed since the NCAA embarrassed an elite academic school with the death penalty. 

But is it not fair to expect that with his great recruiting accumen he would have improved SMU recruiting from the levels enjoyed by his predecessor?  Did this happen?  What I've looked at indicates that he recruited at basically the same level as June Jones and his staff.

devildog

I'm in the Taurus, lets ride!

jst01

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 06, 2017, 10:09:22 am
Great link from FOTH and must reading for everyone here.

Yep

hogfansince79

Fun facts about Chad Morris... then why take a little shot at Norvell?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

bphi11ips

Quote from: transplant on December 06, 2017, 10:26:57 am
But is it not fair to expect that with his great recruiting accumen he would have improved SMU recruiting from the levels enjoyed by his predecessor?  Did this happen?  What I've looked at indicates that he recruited at basically the same level as June Jones and his staff.

Good question and I certainly don't have an explanation. But look at the link FOTH provided and it may be part of the answer. Basically, SMU was not just a dumpster fire, no one cared before Morris showed up.

transplant

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 06, 2017, 10:36:28 am
Good question and I certainly don't have an explanation. But look at the link FOTH provided and it may be part of the answer. Basically, SMU was not just a dumpster fire, no one cared before Morris showed up.
See, that's my real issue.

No one cared before he got there...and he didn't improve recruiting.
I'm sure he can coach, but I'm not sure he can get the player we need to be competitive with the top 4 schools in the SEC West.

The Boar War

At 49, Morris is the right age to step up to a program like Arkansas. Norvel at 36 needs some seasoning.

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 06, 2017, 10:35:12 am
Fun facts about Chad Morris... then why take a little shot at Norvell?

Because when Memphis was beating SMU by 44 it was clear that Norvell wasn't ready.

247Hog

About Chad Morris:

*  Turned 49 on Monday

*  High school QB

*  One of four FBS head coaches who did not play college football; the other four are Paul Johnson, David Cutcliffe and Mike Leach

Chad Morris grew up just east of Dallas during a time when Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M, SMU and Houston were often ranked in the Top 10.  He knows that Arkansas is a program with a high ceiling.  Clemson's run began when Morris became OC.  Nothing in Clemson's history would indicate it could sustain the success it has sustained since 2011.  Dabo Swinney credits Morris for helping get it started.  Malzahn decided to stay at Auburn but said if you want the closest thing to me go get Chad Morris.

A lot of folks here have said they want a coach who can do more with less.  Morris proved he can do that in large Texas public high schools, where you can't recruit your way to success.  The only way to sustain the kind of success Morris sustained in Texas high school football is to out-develop, out-prepare, and out-coach your opponents.  Morris has proven that he knows how to build and he knows how to win.

Recruiting is where Morris can take Arkansas to the next level.  You can't judge him by his rankings at SMU, where football has been suppressed since the NCAA embarrassed an elite academic school with the death penalty.  SMU has been apologizing for fielding a football team ever since.  Morris recruited Deshaun Watson.  In the four years before Morris joined the Clemson staff, the Tigers' average recruiting ranking was 21.  They averaged 12 during Morris' four years at OC.

Morris coached high school teams near Houston, Austin and Dallas.  Houston and DFW is where Arkansas's best teams, some of whom Morris grew up watching, were built.  DFW, especially, is in the Arkansas footprint for football and for students in general.  As for Arkansas, Morris should have no problem establishing relationships with high school coaches.  He is one of them.  His offense is what most of them run.

With the salary Morris will require, Arkansas can afford an elite DC and will get one.  Will it be Venables?  Who knows?  But money talks.  The notion that there are no good defensive players in Arkansas's footprint is bunk.  An elite DC will find them and sign them for an opportunity to play in the SEC in the finest facilities.  If Jeff Long did anything right, it was upgrading the players' facilities.  The locker room, etc., will beat many NFL locker rooms.

Hogville posters will continue to gnash teeth because the BOT didn't bring them the shiniest new media darling, the one who tweets the best or the one who just won the most.  But the BOT is filled with some of the best minds in the country.  Those guys are all badasses with badass friends who know football in general and Arkansas football in particular.  They had good reasons for their decisions.  Decisions having nothing to do with access.  If they want access they do what they have done for decades - pick up the phone.  They want to do what is best for Arkansas, and that means winning.  The news on this head coach will be gone by Christmas.  Winning will put butts in seats and keep them there.  Hell, maybe it will even keep students in the stands after halftime.

I'm sure 99% of fans will support him and have to understand the frustration yesterday. He's our coach and i will do nothing but hope he succeeds here.

With that said, i agree he had to rebuild an SMU program that basically put players on the field. However, the death penalty excuse from 30 years ago needs to stop today. That's a loser mentality to use a 30 year old excuse and we've heard enough of those the past several years. He had a tough job at SMU...agreed. It is on the upswing...agreed...just please don't keep the 1980's death penalty angle going. I'm afraid that'll turn people away from him before giving him a chance.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Oklahawg

Quote from: transplant on December 06, 2017, 10:26:57 am

You know what happens when a coach bails on the program but doesn't physically leave. Smile happens. We went 8 months without a "coach" and it took two years to repair. June Jones checked out for a season and a half before finally just calling it quits halfway through a season. He left nothing in the cupboard at a place that is going to have fewer pieces to work with in triage than Arkansas has.

The rebuild resume at SMU is pretty solid in my eyes.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Quote from: 247Hog on December 06, 2017, 11:20:47 am

I'm sure 99% of fans will support him and have to understand the frustration yesterday. He's our coach and i will do nothing but hope he succeeds here.

With that said, i agree he had to rebuild an SMU program that basically put players on the field. However, the death penalty excuse from 30 years ago needs to stop today. That's a loser mentality to use a 30 year old excuse and we've heard enough of those the past several years. He had a tough job at SMU...agreed. It is on the upswing...agreed...just please don't keep the 1980's death penalty angle going. I'm afraid that'll turn people away from him before giving him a chance.

The Death Penalty is not the excuse. Had SMU committed to football afterwards it had a history of good football to fall back on. It didn't.  I concluded long ago it was because the administration and alumni wanted to distance SMU from football. There are some here who could add to that.

Hogsfan1981

Never played college ball.

Die hard aggie that Texas A&M didn't want.

Would have gone anywhere so he didn't get stuck at SMU for life.

Had one winning season at SMU. Was a few plays away from having another  losing season.

Not a strong recruiter.

One of the last coaches on TN list. If they were not being blasted by the media he would have went there. But as desperate as they are their fans still didn't want him.

Has talked $@$& about Arkansas as a job destination.

Recommended by Gus for the job. Flew a plane to see Gus coach high school ball so he could copy his offense #Diet Gus

But the national media loves a nice guy and other teams love we got a weak hire so yay.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Uncommon

Has already been labeled on Hogville as:
Nutt 2.0
Bielema 2.0
JLS 2.0

within the first 24 hours of his hiring.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: transplant on December 06, 2017, 10:50:14 am
See, that's my real issue.

No one cared before he got there...and he didn't improve recruiting.
I'm sure he can coach, but I'm not sure he can get the player we need to be competitive with the top 4 schools in the SEC West.

IF you took everything you were not sure about, and then took everything you were sure about, and separated them by success after the fact you would find many "Can't misses'" in the darn pile and many "Not Sure's" in the HOF...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 11:28:05 am
Never played college ball.

Die hard aggie that Texas A&M didn't want.

Would have gone anywhere so he didn't get stuck at SMU for life.

Had one winning season at SMU. Was a few plays away from having another  losing season.

Not a strong recruiter.

One of the last coaches on TN list. If they were not being blasted by the media he would have went there. But as desperate as they are their fans still didn't want him.

Has talked $@$& about Arkansas as a job destination.

Recommended by Gus for the job. Flew a plane to see Gus coach high school ball so he could copy his offense #Diet Gus

But the national media loves a nice guy and other teams love we got a weak hire so yay.

Some how I believe this will be mounted on the all in 3 years... Either for good, or bad...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 06, 2017, 11:46:32 am
Some how I believe this will be mounted on the all in 3 years... Either for good, or bad...

I don't have a 2nd account so you will be able to find me. Unlike most on here.

bphi11ips

HognotinMemphis

About Chad Morris:

*  Turned 49 on Monday

*  High school QB

I've stated much of this in a combination of posts over the past week. It is all 100% accurate. As to opinion in this comment, it's rational, reasoned and common sensical. All of which 95% of the lemmings here are not capable of. Morris is light years better than Bielema and it will show in the first year. Whatever happens, Coach Morris will not field a 0-8 or 1-7 SEC record EVER while he is at Arkansas. And Bielema has left him with not much at QB, either line, and at RB and secondary. Yet, next year will be better than 1-7 in SEC. And that 1 win Bert had was by skin of teeth by 1 point.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.