Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Riddle me this....

Started by porkrindjimmy, December 01, 2017, 09:52:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PharmacistHog

The biggest issue with kiffin is what makes him a good recruiter: his smartass mouth. Its fun if he's winning and recruiting at a high level but the twitter trolling before and after an asskicking might be hard for fans to take. But I'm willing to risk it.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: travelinhog on December 02, 2017, 07:57:07 am
Kiffin's 2009 recruiting class was 8th in the entire country. Saban hired him as his offensive coordinator. Kiffin turned TN from a loser to a winner in one season, just like he has done at FAU. In the last 30 years, the greatest Razorback seasons have been with coaches who went from NFL head coaching jobs back to college head coaching jobs (Holtz & Petrino) records in the last  All of these facts indicate that Kiffin will be successful at Arkansas.

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Season/2009-Football/Commits

One year doesn't make a HC'ing career and going 7-6 in his one year as a HC at Tennessee is hardly the thing that great resumes are made of. If you are hanging your hat on that 7-6 season as success, keep in mind he won just 2 more games than Fulmer the year before. In 2007 Tennessee was 10-4 and played for the SECCG and were 9-4 in 2006. It isn't like he didn't have something to work with at Tennessee.
Go Hogs Go!

Hog Waller

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 02, 2017, 07:29:58 am
Which Arkansas HC (since joining the SEC) has given us a string of top 15 recruiting classes? That is what it will take. Even Petrino wasn't going to be able to sustain 10 and 11 win seasons every year. Petrino = Gus = Leach  There isn't anyone who has been listed that is suddenly going to catapult us into the kind of recruiting classes that we need to compete for the West. Thus, need a guy who can do more, with less.

IMO Petrino > Gus...Leach isn't even in range to sniff either's shorts.  Would take Petrino back before throwing a bunch of money Gus.  I think Gus would be a HUGE mistake.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 02, 2017, 06:53:50 am

I doubt that he would. And as soon as he left, he would be trolling us on twitter because he has no loyalty to Arkansas. Want to go through this whole mess again in 3 years? Hire Kiffin.

I was surprised you weren't on the Lane Train ....but I think your creating a damn before you have a river to build it on..

He improved UT's record the only year he was there, the USC job was a disaster he walked into,, lost 30 scholarships his 3 years there, and still never had a losing year , that's doing more with less.. matter of fact in his 6 years of HC,  6 winning teams and none finishing lower than 3rd in division... Throw in the learning under Saban and Carroll  and he looks like a winner...

Also, the 3 schools he's been HC, were in better shape or no worse, the day he left than when he arrived.. although USC still had sanctions, it wasn't LK's fault...

He's different and kids like it..

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hog Waller on December 02, 2017, 08:10:06 am
IMO Petrino > Gus...Leach isn't even in range to sniff either's shorts.

Well we all have our opinions.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 02, 2017, 08:12:04 am
I was surprised you weren't on the Lane Train ....but I think your creating a damn before you have a river to build it on..

He improved UT's record the only year he was there, the USC job was a disaster he walked into,, lost 30 scholarships his 3 years there, and still never had a losing year , that's doing more with less.. matter of fact in his 6 years of HC,  6 winning teams and none finishing lower than 3rd in division... Throw in the learning under Saban and Carroll  and he looks like a winner...

Also, the 3 schools he's been HC, were in better shape or no worse, the day he left than when he arrived.. although USC still had sanctions, it wasn't LK's fault...

He's different and kids like it..

Hire him and we will be going through this again in 3 years.
Go Hogs Go!

Captain Morgan

IMO Petrino > Gus...Leach isn't even in range to sniff either's shorts.  Would take Petrino back before throwing a bunch of money Gus.  I think Gus would be a HUGE mistake.
Petrino is 8-7 in the last 15 games with the Heisman trophy winner. He has lost to ACCupcakes Wake Forest and Boston College.

lumphog

Butch Davis - AD/DC
Gus             - AAD/HC
Freeze         - OC
Jason Peters - OL
D-Mac          - RB

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 02, 2017, 08:13:56 am
Hire him and we will be going through this again in 3 years.

cart before the horse..  but why, because he had done so well someone wanted him?

travelinhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 02, 2017, 08:05:18 am
One year doesn't make a HC'ing career.

True, but Arkansas is a perfect place for that to happen. I have nothing against Gus and in fact, I wanted him in 2007 (pre Petrino) & in 2012. But the there is drama surrounding Gus. Just as we were at the end of the Nutt era, the fan base is emotionally exhausted. We need excitement & more importantly hope. Petrino gave that to us and so would Kiffin. I would be very happy with Norvell too, I just think that Kiffin is a better fit for our fan base in 2017.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 02, 2017, 08:16:12 am
cart before the horse..  but why, because he had done so well someone wanted him?

What is it that any of us are discussing that isn't "cart before the horse"? We haven't hired anyone yet.

Either because he does well and jumps for a better job (most likely) or he ends up not fitting in well here or ends up not being able to do what so many expect him to do. The last thing(s) that this particular program needs is to:

1) hire a guy who needs training wheels as a HC at the P-5 level,
2) hire someone who is going to be successful but is just waiting for the next great opportunity to make the jump,
3) or hire someone who (at the P-5 level over an extended period of time) hasn't demonstrated that they can take lesser recruiting classes and do more with them.

We need to win more games but we also need someone who isn't going to be here and gone in 3-4 years. Instability is not the friend of Arkansas.

JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on December 02, 2017, 08:15:21 am
Petrino is 8-7 in the last 15 games with the Heisman trophy winner. He has lost to ACCupcakes Wake Forest and Boston College.

You guys keep saying that because it makes you feel better but he can win 9 for the 3rd year in 4 at UL, one losing year in 13.. Heisman winners, bowl games.... record over long term...

You can dissect most any coaches record and find a 10-15 game stretch, especially over 2 years to create a negative narrative ..

racinghog

Quote from: travelinhog on December 02, 2017, 07:57:07 am
Kiffin's 2009 recruiting class was 8th in the entire country. Saban hired him as his offensive coordinator. Kiffin turned TN from a loser to a winner in one season, just like he has done at FAU. In the last 30 years, the greatest Razorback seasons have been with coaches who went from NFL head coaching jobs back to college head coaching jobs (Holtz & Petrino) records in the last  All of these facts indicate that Kiffin will be successful at Arkansas.

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Season/2009-Football/Commits
Don't tell Wally that!! He thinks the best coaches since Frank were Hatfield and Nutt!!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 02, 2017, 08:24:41 am
What is it that any of us are discussing that isn't "cart before the horse"? We haven't hired anyone yet.

Either because he does well and jumps for a better job (most likely) or he ends up not fitting in well here or ends up not being able to do what so many expect him to do. The last thing(s) that this particular program needs is to:

2) hire someone who is going to be successful but is just waiting for the next great opportunity to make the jump,
3) or hire someone who (at the P-5 level over an extended period of time) hasn't demonstrated that they can take lesser recruiting classes and do more with them.

We need to win more games but we also need someone who isn't going to be here and gone in 3-4 years. Instability is not the friend of Arkansas.

JMO

Not a thing said do I disagree with.... but in your guesstamation, who checks all those boxes, I missed your choice, if you gave one..

TheEnemy

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 01, 2017, 09:52:42 pm

And then there is Lane. My man. Practically asked for the job on the tranny Travis show earlier in the week. Brings the swag. The boys love him and want to play for him. He is a smartass. He is a troll. He beats to a different drum. He is an offensive genius. He has a chip on his shoulder the size of Alabama for Nick Saban. Nick Saban. That dude is at the top and Lane wants to knock him off. He is absolutely perfect for this job. He honestly should have been candidate 1, 1A, 1B and candidate 2. We still don't have a permanent AD yet..the interim one adores Lane Kiffin. 

PRJ

Sign him now!

PA_HOG

It seems pretty obvious that they are waiting on what happens today with Gus.  (The same could be true with Norvell, but less likely)  If Auburn wins today, they have to move on to plan B.  If the top choice was anyone other than Malzahn or Norvell, they would be in house already.  Right?  Personally, I think Kiffin is plan B. 

I'm fine with Malzahn, Norvell or Kiffin, though each takes us on a different path.  I'm bit skeptical with anyone else (But still hopeful). I wouldn't mind Venables, but I don't see him coming.  Too much like Kirby Smart waiting on the right job and this isn't it for him. 

If nothing else, we need to have a HC by tomorrow (Sunday)!

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 02, 2017, 08:28:52 am
Not a thing said do I disagree with.... but in your guesstamation, who checks all those boxes, I missed your choice, if you gave one..

It's a tough hire, no doubt about it. Much more difficult than it would be for Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, A&M and much more difficult than it should be for Tennessee. Think we have a mess? We aren't a mess (yet), Tennessee is a badly managed mess.

My first 3 calls would have been to Gundy (not happening now, if ever), Kyle Whittingham and Mike Leach with my next call to either Venables or Gus. My dark horse would have been Les Miles. Yes, Les Miles. He can at least gather a good, strong staff. Good coaches will coach for him and he will let them coach, but he might need help hiring an OC/QB coach. And, Les can recruit. You want a guy that would be supremely motivated after his experience at LSU? I believe he would be very motivated.
Go Hogs Go!

Redhogs

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 01, 2017, 11:00:41 pm
Well, Kiffin already cheated on his wife and got divorced, so there is that.

You'd just have to worry about him hooking up with students, starting another Tinder catfishing persona, being late for his own meetings, embarrassing the program on Twitter, and flirting with any open job that might be a lateral move or higher. Yeah, what a great hire that'd be.
And the Harley dealers would have no problems....bring on Lane!!

hog_fan

Think he was eliminated when search firm got involved and some don't like his background. Think Morris was put out to quiet talk on others.

Redhogs

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 02, 2017, 08:38:24 am
It's a tough hire, no doubt about it. Much more difficult than it would be for Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, A&M and much more difficult than it should be for Tennessee. Think we have a mess? We aren't a mess (yet), Tennessee is a badly managed mess.

My first 3 calls would have been to Gundy (not happening now, if ever), Kyle Whittingham and Mike Leach with my next call to either Venables or Gus. My dark horse would have been Les Miles. Yes, Les Miles. He can at least gather a good, strong staff. Good coaches will coach for him and he will let them coach, but he might need help hiring an OC/QB coach. And, Les can recruit. You want a guy that would be supremely motivated after his experience at LSU? I believe he would be very motivated.

I called Miles for the OM job, thought he'd bring them stability, but Luke did a good job.. never saw MG or KW leaving, though I would be good with either... I'm a no on BV , imo we need a HC...

Redhogs

Quote from: hog_fan on December 02, 2017, 08:42:20 am
Think he was eliminated when search firm got involved and some don't like his background. Think Morris was put out to quiet talk on others.
I think you are right...the PTB do not have the stones to hire Lane...unfortunately.

Captain Morgan

Les Miles never developed a QB and runs that boring ground and pound pro style. It would be an utter disaster.

Redhogs

So glad you are the only one with that list.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Captain Morgan on December 02, 2017, 08:44:41 am
Les Miles never developed a QB and runs that boring ground and pound pro style. It would be an utter disaster.

Which is why I said...

Go Hogs Go!

secfan30

Quote from: Redhogs on December 02, 2017, 08:46:05 am

Agreed, except I'd be ok with Leach.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Redhogs on December 02, 2017, 08:46:05 am

As we all know, it ain't over, yet.
Go Hogs Go!

TheEnemy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 02, 2017, 08:47:24 am
Which is why I said...

Except he doesn't listen or allow those coaches to coach how they want.

Why do you think LSU fired him?  Didn't matter what OC they brought in.....it never changed...... And they tried a bunch of them

porkerfinger

What are the % chances that it won't be Malzahn or Norvell?

moses_007

Does Kiff bring his dad back as DC?

texasdvm

I agree on Kiffin. We are always late to the dance.  Late on Paul Bear Bryant, and late on Gus when we could have got him all to ourselves because we had to play it safe and get the Wisconsin Walrus and his boring brand.  No, we screwed the pooch then and now we need to swing for the fence and get Kiffin. It is the only chance we have today to compete in the SEC West.  Hell, Barnhill was swinging for the fence in hiring JFB.  They would approve!

jrulz83

Quote from: moses_007 on December 02, 2017, 08:53:11 am
Does Kiff bring his dad back as DC?

Monte has a role on FAU, I think he's Defensive quality control. Not sure of title, but it's something like that.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

TheEnemy

Quote from: texasdvm on December 02, 2017, 08:54:00 am
I agree on Kiffin. We are always late to the dance.  Late on Paul Bear Bryant, and late on Gus when we could have got him all to ourselves because we had to play it safe and get the Wisconsin Walrus and his boring brand.  No, we screwed the pooch then and now we need to swing for the fence and get Kiffin. It is the only chance we have today to compete in the SEC West.  Hell, Barnhill was swinging for the fence in hiring JFB.  They would approve!

swhogpen

LK the Donald Trump of college football gotta love it !!

porkrindjimmy

Somebody is needing some attention in this here thread.

People who are blinded by stats, people who look for the safe hires, people who cry about this stability nonsense are the reason we are in the mess we are in now. They were constantly told from day one about Bret Bielema was in over his head..they then bombarded us with stats that they said showed us he was a winner. Then they started the stability threads. We need stability, only way to succeed is stability and Bret has it in spades. When the sand ran out of that hourglass they moved on to browbeating anybody who disagreed that Bret Bielema wasn't the greatest man who ever graced these hills...called you crazy and my favorite one....irrational....

Naw boys, move out the way. You don't get anywhere in life by being safe and not taken risks. I mean sure...you get a car, a 2 bedroom house, a wife, who puts on a 100 lbs in a 5 year span, because you inpregnated her 4 times in that span. Not for me, not for me. You want to win Big? You want to Recruit big? You want a chance to play for the big brass ring? To have nice things? Fast cars, faster women, more Horses and lots of money....Hire Lane damn Kiffin....

Les Miles? Get the hell outta here with that nonsense.

PRJ

EastexHawg

IMO Petrino > Gus...Leach isn't even in range to sniff either's shorts.  Would take Petrino back before throwing a bunch of money Gus. 

I agree with you.  Oddly enough, if we lure Gus away from Auburn they may end up with the better end of the bargain by signing Petrino.

The "problem" with this, from my viewpoint at least, is that I have to hope we sign Gus because (a) we won't hire Petrino and (b) if we don't get Gus I can't trust that a battle of wills won't result in us getting a project coach like Morris or Tim Horton.

We can't afford to let A&M get Jimbo Fisher while we end up with the Aggie graduate they didn't want or Horton.  If that happens we will set sail on another 5-10 years of being irrelevant.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 02, 2017, 09:09:25 am
Somebody is needing some attention in this here thread.

You, perhaps?

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 02, 2017, 09:09:25 am
You want to win Big? You want to Recruit big? You want a chance to play for the big brass ring? To have nice things? Fast cars, faster women, more Horses and lots of money....Hire Lane damn Kiffin....

PRJ

I'd be as surprised with the hire of Kiffin as I will be if this whole Malzahn thing happens.
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

I don't understand why Leach isn't a possibility.
He can coach, he's got an innovative offense and he's learned he needs a defense.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Kiffy celebrating TD before pass is caught because he knew he had the D setup for it. 

My only complaint with him was he forgot about Bama's RBs a little too often. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 02, 2017, 09:22:47 am
You, perhaps?

I'd be as surprised with the hire of Kiffin as I will be if this whole Malzahn thing happens.

No brotha, that is you. Les Miles? Les Miles? LMAO.

You are gonna be wrong on this one which won't be surprising.

You were consistently wrong on Bret. And I do mean consistently. You and your bro's called me every name in the book...called me irrational...

But you know what y'all never called me? The one thing I was. And that is I was correct.

PRJ

porkerfinger

Quote from: hoglady on December 02, 2017, 09:27:21 am
I don't understand why Leach isn't a possibility.
He can coach, he's got an innovative offense and he's learned he needs a defense.

Leach IS a possibility...

along with about a dozen others.

HawgTide

Wow. Les Miles? The guy that was too stubborn to adjust and wasted all that 4 and 5 star Louisiana talent? No thank you. He's old and out of touch

Count Hogula

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 02, 2017, 09:32:32 am
No brotha, that is you. Les Miles? Les Miles? LMAO.

You are gonna be wrong on this one which won't be surprising.

You were consistently wrong on Bret. And I do mean consistently. You and your bro's called me every name in the book...called me irrational...

But you know what y'all never called me? The one thing I was. And that is I was correct.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: HawgTide on December 02, 2017, 09:39:00 am

Wow. Les Miles? The guy that was too stubborn to adjust and wasted all that 4 and 5 star Louisiana talent? No thank you. He's old and out of touch

Just like their ideas. Old and out of touch.

PRJ

ifghog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 02, 2017, 08:24:41 am

JMO

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 02, 2017, 08:04:57 am
The biggest issue with kiffin is what makes him a good recruiter: his smartass mouth. Its fun if he's winning and recruiting at a high level but the twitter trolling before and after an asskicking might be hard for fans to take. But I'm willing to risk it.

it's like hiring Ponderin  :D

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ifghog on December 02, 2017, 10:16:20 am
Ok Muskogee I hear you bitching about everyone....pose a solution. Who do you want?? Gus aint coming so who fits what you want? I wants name.

He gave you one....Les Miles.

This is how ole Muskogee feels about Les....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lAn-Nl7dyeM

PRJ

ifghog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 02, 2017, 10:19:03 am

PRJ
Yeah saw that after my post. That's ridiculous. I'd take Morris over Miles. I am all on Board with LK. He is what We need. If not Norvell but I know LK would take it in a heart beat. He's just arrogant enough to get it done at AR!

Count Hogula

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 02, 2017, 10:19:03 am

PRJ

Let me imbed that for you, PRJ, LMAO