Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Laid an egg

Started by ShadowHawg, November 24, 2017, 04:29:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Quote from: TheSportsGuy on November 24, 2017, 05:34:19 pm
We put all we had into last game to win.  NC didn't need to against Portland.  We didn't have to same energy level.  Shots didn't fall.  Legs were gone.  Simple as that.  We are as good as they are, but just not tonight.  No big deal.  Our team is legit and will continue to get better.  Get a day of rest and finish 2-1.  Move on

HawgnCorona

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 24, 2017, 04:33:36 pm
And we lost by damn near 20. So effing what.

Oh gee wiz, get over yourself dude. They will be just fine..they lost to the #5 ranked team, get a clue.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

3kgthog

God help us if we're already using tired legs as an excuse. I don't know why we can't just admit the half court offense is below high school quality and if Macon and Barford are cold, there's no one else on this roster that can take over.

checkraiser88

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 25, 2017, 01:09:28 am
God help us if we're already using tired legs as an excuse. I don't know why we can't just admit the half court offense is below high school quality and if Macon and Barford are cold, there's no one else on this roster that can take over.

Go ahead and rewatch the Oklahoma game and compare it to the NC game, you'll see it was tired legs. Just look at the energy level. We had 3 starters all play 35 minutes.

HawgnCorona

Good lord man u can get off the bus at he next stop...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: niels_boar on November 24, 2017, 08:22:22 pm
The supporting cast wasn't ready to carry us to a win over a top-ten team when our best five were hardly ever on the court together.  The bench will get stronger as the season progresses.  We needed CJ to go off with the Macon's injury and Barford's foul trouble, but it's not quite fair to expect him to go off and carry us to a win over a possible FF team at this point in his career.  Going 4 for 10 from the arc was hardly a poor showing. Those two that he hit in a row down the stretch on our late run will pay dividends later.  Young players need to see good things happen to develop confidence.

Man, I think you might be my favorite poster (except Kevin mchpherson of course).  Keep bringing that heat.  I agree again.  Barford, Macon, Beards hardly ever had the mojo going all at once togethe.  Thus, We needed CJ to go off, he didn't, but did ok, and hopefully he builds off of that.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: checkraiser88 on November 25, 2017, 01:11:12 am
Go ahead and rewatch the Oklahoma game and compare it to the NC game, you'll see it was tired legs. Just look at the energy level. We had 3 starters all play 35 minutes.

100%!  Come on, we can't use tired legs as an excuse because it's early in the season? As if we didn't need to go all out to beat OU LESS than 24 hours earlier.

hogginbama

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 24, 2017, 05:33:03 pm
Why don't we have the depth on the roster already?  This is a poor excuse.

Year 7 and no depth. It is only a 13 man roster, what gives?

Didnt get to watch the game due to MIL being in ER, but from reading comments it seems as the same ole, same ole.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Ironhawg

This game was a good early season opportunity to gauge where we are against a top quality opponent.  Mike got a good look at his team and knows what needs to be fixed come tournament time.  I really think the fact that Arkansas had a tough game against OU while UNC won easily probably gave them fresher legs and an advantage. 
There's lots to be concerned about but the season is still very, very young.  If this game had taken place in late February it would be troublesome, but it's November.  Look at the lessons learned, build on the positives and move on.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogginbama on November 25, 2017, 02:50:10 am
Year 7 and no depth. It is only a 13 man roster, what gives?

Didnt get to watch the game due to MIL being in ER, but from reading comments it seems as the same ole, same ole.

If you're asking why we don't have the depth than you haven't been paying attention. Thomas has just returned from suspension, Garland has a medical issue, Cook has a legal issue and Hall has to develop.

Beard, Macon and Barford have to play alot of minutes right now.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 25, 2017, 06:44:53 am
If you're asking why we don't have the depth than you haven't been paying attention. Thomas has just returned from suspension, Garland has a medical issue, Cook has a legal issue and Hall has to develop.

And they played a TON of minutes on Thursday. I was worried with 10 minutes left in the OU game that our guards hadn't been able to rotate out enough and that it would affect us on Friday. Mike should have paced those three a bit better on Thursday.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

parallaxpig

Despite what Macon said they have been pointing to this game since schedule was released. They were tight which was reflected on their poor shooting. Also and most important NC plays perimeter defense well. they pushed our guards out and we don't have a post presence to counter that.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 24, 2017, 07:01:50 pm
We will only go as far as Barford and Macon can take us, and they didn't play well enough. Gafford will be inconsistent most of the season. Outside of those 3 we don't have another scoring option besides Beard and he is a 12 points in 30 plus minutes guy. CJ is not fulfilling his role so far. Missing Garland is huge imo.

All true.. not sure why people think we're supposed to be better than UNC.. saw another poster say well UNC is not as good as last year.. Really?  They are defending national champs with tons of talent.. we got some juco's and a 4 star center..

The thinking was, we'll be better than last year ,with maybe a worse record.. nothing has changed except dimwit thoughts...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 25, 2017, 01:25:19 am
Good lord man u can get off the bus at he next stop...

brain already did...

hobhog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 25, 2017, 02:02:44 am
100%!  Come on, we can't use tired legs as an excuse because it's early in the season? As if we didn't need to go all out to beat OU LESS than 24 hours earlier.

Guess we can't play tournaments then? Our legs get tired?

That's an excuse, not a reason we lost.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 25, 2017, 08:00:27 am
All true.. not sure why people think we're supposed to be better than UNC.. saw another poster say well UNC is not as good as last year.. Really?  They are defending national champs with tons of talent.. we got some juco's and a 4 star center..

The thinking was, we'll be better than last year ,with maybe a worse record.. nothing has changed except dimwit thoughts...

Pretty good post.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hobhog on November 25, 2017, 08:11:14 am

There was alot of reasons for the losing to Carolina. Maye was the biggest reason and the intensity of Carolina defense. If Jones knock down those threes it's a different game. They was good looks but didn't fall. Let's beat UCONN!

Pigasaurus

Quote from: randalt on November 24, 2017, 04:50:35 pm
North Carolina played much tougher defense than we did. We still don't have much half court offense when we face a good defense.
First game this year we had a longer team playing smothering defense. They can learn from it.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

hawgball40

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 25, 2017, 05:49:59 am
This game was a good early season opportunity to gauge where we are against a top quality opponent.  Mike got a good look at his team and knows what needs to be fixed come tournament time.  I really think the fact that Arkansas had a tough game against OU while UNC won easily probably gave them fresher legs and an advantage. 
There's lots to be concerned about but the season is still very, very young.  If this game had taken place in late February it would be troublesome, but it's November.  Look at the lessons learned, build on the positives and move on.
We need CJ Jones to step up, and we need some scoring in the post. And we need to continue practicing our defense and perfecting our rotations. Other than that, i think we're pretty good. Unknowns are how well Cook will be able to return to action, and if by some miracle we get KG eligible, how much he changes the outlook and ability of this team. If he gives us a new dimension on offense his length should be able to help us in guarding good perimiter players, so he could end up being a difference maker. of course, with everything we've heard, he may never play a game for us at this point.

HamIAm

You don't play back to back days in the NCAA tournament.  But yes there are a number of reasons we lost. And isn't it better to find them out now than once conference season starts.

hawgball40

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on November 25, 2017, 06:53:03 am
And they played a TON of minutes on Thursday. I was worried with 10 minutes left in the OU game that our guards hadn't been able to rotate out enough and that it would affect us on Friday. Mike should have paced those three a bit better on Thursday.
What choice did he really have? Oklahoma, largely because of Trae Young's infinite range, was matching us punch for punch, and we had no answer other than barford/macon.

hawgball40

did you even watch the game? thats the major root cause of yesterdays bad performance genius. good grief some of you people don't understand the game of basketball. Our team has limited depth and our bench doesn't give us much. We've got the best team to date in Mike's tenure, and they can have a pretty damn good season and make the tourney and maybe win 2-4 games or so. But we still don't have the depth to match the deep benches of elite teams. Just the way it is. I was hoping that hall and osabouhien would be able to give us more, but they really don't give us much right now. There's hope that cook can give us something in the post and maybe stretch the defense and give us some midrange/3pt threat to force their forwards out of the lane, but thats a ? at this point. Maybe KG gets eligible, but idk. We're a pretty good team i think. Top 25 material for sure. But we need Gafford to develop a post presence and Jones to continue to step up. He took another little step last night in nailing a couple of big 3s. but we need more production from him off the bench or we'll be living and dying with macon/barford this season.

Big Nasty 34

I was disappointed but not surprised in our lack of movement on offense. That's Mike's Achilles heel for sure. This was a great game for us to be tested early. I know legs were gone after OU but gotta have better half court motion.

Ironhawg

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 25, 2017, 09:06:26 am
We need CJ Jones to step up, and we need some scoring in the post. And we need to continue practicing our defense and perfecting our rotations. Other than that, i think we're pretty good. Unknowns are how well Cook will be able to return to action, and if by some miracle we get KG eligible, how much he changes the outlook and ability of this team. If he gives us a new dimension on offense his length should be able to help us in guarding good perimiter players, so he could end up being a difference maker. of course, with everything we've heard, he may never play a game for us at this point.

Having to start the season with players missing due to medicals amd suspensions is tough.  This is the time of year Mike plays around with his rotations.  It's hard to do that with players missing.  I am with you on Garland.  He could make a huge difference but we may never know.  We need some role players to step up now not later.

KlubhouseKonnected

I predicted all the racists would come out to begin beating the anti Anderson drum because he failed to beat the defending national champion
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hogginbama

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 25, 2017, 06:44:53 am

If he only has 3 guards then maybe he needs to change the scheme to fit the players or recruit more guards. Not sure how Cook, Thomas and Hall fit into limiting the minutes of Beard, Macon and Barford since they are not guards. Years 1,2 or 3, maybe can see a lack of guards for the system that depends a ton on them, year 7 not so much. Guess he needs to use Holmes, Hall and Jones to spell Macon, Barford and Beard some more. If not, next year with limited guard experience is gonna suck.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Lard

UNC played excellent defense and we were gassed due to a very tough first round game. 
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

hawgball40

Quote from: hogginbama on November 26, 2017, 02:21:45 am

If he only has 3 guards then maybe he needs to change the scheme to fit the players or recruit more guards. Not sure how Cook, Thomas and Hall fit into limiting the minutes of Beard, Macon and Barford since they are not guards. Years 1,2 or 3, maybe can see a lack of guards for the system that depends a ton on them, year 7 not so much. Guess he needs to use Holmes, Hall and Jones to spell Macon, Barford and Beard some more. If not, next year with limited guard experience is gonna suck.
Hey dummy, he recruited another guard, but the guy hasn't been cleared. also we have the transfer harris who is an electric pg like bj young. next year we have multiple guards coming in as freshman with solid skillsets. So instead of looking uneducated, just shut your mouth ok? Go take pot shots at a losing coach. Leave MA and the basketball team alone.

deserthog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on November 25, 2017, 10:54:10 pm
I predicted all the racists would come out to begin beating the anti Anderson drum because he failed to beat the defending national champion

Not supporting Anderson certainly doesn't make one a racist. I support Mike btw.

hawgball40

Quote from: deserthog on November 26, 2017, 09:19:22 am
Not supporting Anderson certainly doesn't make one a racist. I support Mike btw.
True. its more like a mix of racists, gobn shills, mike haters, legitimate detractors, and low iq morons spilling over from mmqb to give their reactionary "hot takes".

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: deserthog on November 26, 2017, 09:19:22 am

Racists don't
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

seasonhog

They better be working on some  half court plays.......maybe high/low post.....we started with 3 guards.....no inside offence ....UNC is not OK.

Many slow down teams in the SEC.

Cmheinley

39% shooting compared to 50% isn't going to win very often. credit to UNC. they played tough D, didn't miss any shots, and managed to spoil what seemed like 5 momentum changing fast breaks. (half we're fouls, but I'll avoid blaming the refs.)