Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown IX

Started by clutch, April 05, 2015, 01:50:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty08

Cubs fan here, just reading the comments, thought I'd add something. No sensible Cub fan expects to be in the playoffs this year. This team will hit some HRs but also strikes.out way too much. Clutch hitting will be a problem.as well, as seen tonight.

All that being said the Cubs fans have reason to be excited about the season. Finally we have people in place willing to spend the type of money it takes to.compete. they are also doing it the right way, actually.developing talent rather than spending big on guys like Soriano and Nomar towards their nd of their careers. In 2 years they turned a scrappy farm system into the best system in baseball, so there is reason for the excitement

Wishing the cards the best this season outside of theb16 more games against the Cubs. Its tough as a lifelong cub fan living in cards country.  Haha
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

popcornhog

Quote from: dacskc on April 06, 2015, 12:54:06 am
They're delusional. About 5 min into the game, I was like "yep, same ol' Cubs." Lol. Cubs fans on my Twitter feed were hilarious (they would've totally won if Kris Bryant had been there...of course). Soler looked entertainingly awful. I quite enjoyed it. Wish we didn't have to wait til Tues for game 2.

One game though, come on man!

I'd rather the Cubs win 110 games and the NL Central, only to get beat on a walk off homer by the Cardinals at Wrigley in game 7 of the NLCS.  But that's me.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: lefty08 on April 06, 2015, 07:25:21 am
Cubs fan here, just reading the comments, thought I'd add something. No sensible Cub fan expects to be in the playoffs this year. This team will hit some HRs but also strikes.out way too much. Clutch hitting will be a problem.as well, as seen tonight.

All that being said the Cubs fans have reason to be excited about the season. Finally we have people in place willing to spend the type of money it takes to.compete. they are also doing it the right way, actually.developing talent rather than spending big on guys like Soriano and Nomar towards their nd of their careers. In 2 years they turned a scrappy farm system into the best system in baseball, so there is reason for the excitement

Wishing the cards the best this season outside of theb16 more games against the Cubs. Its tough as a lifelong cub fan living in cards country.  Haha

Truthfully, I would like to see the Cubs challenge for the division as I think it's good for baseball to have the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry mean something and direct any attention away from the Red Sox and Yankees.

As for the Cubs; I absolutely hate any ridiculous media hype, even for teams I root for. I got so sick of the "Cardinal Way" talk that was going around for a while, it's ridiculous that the media can't just report on the game and have to have some kind of stupid storyline or catchphrase or something that they all repeat ad nauseam. Just talk about the game!

And BTW, assuming you're in Arkansas, don't call it Cardinals country or ErieHog may come and slap you to sleep.  :)
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

I'm hoping the division race goes Cards, Bucs, Cubs, Brewers with reds bringing up the rear by a large margin.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 06, 2015, 09:47:04 am

don't call it Cardinals country or ErieHog may come and slap you to sleep.  :)

Agreed.  And Lefty08, we've all been assigned Erie's latest book, "Humility and How I Obtained It", so get on that please.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

dacskc

Lol you mean we aren't gonna get to see Cards highlights on the jumbotron next Fall? I thought we had that settled? ;)

With the Cubs' continuing plight, I've pretty much lost any hatred I had for them. At this point it's just a lot of head-shaking and amusement (mostly at the media). Plus i'm wondering if there really is something to that goat curse after watching Lester last night. I honestly would rather the Brewers become the perennial cellar dwellers. If the Cubs actually managed to make post season, I'd probably root for them just because it would be that whole dogs and cats living together thing. Haha

clutch

Quote from: dacskc on April 06, 2015, 02:06:23 pm
Lol you mean we aren't gonna get to see Cards highlights on the jumbotron next Fall? I thought we had that settled? ;)

With the Cubs' continuing plight, I've pretty much lost any hatred I had for them. At this point it's just a lot of head-shaking and amusement (mostly at the media). Plus i'm wondering if there really is something to that goat curse after watching Lester last night. I honestly would rather the Brewers become the perennial cellar dwellers. If the Cubs actually managed to make post season, I'd probably root for them just because it would be that whole dogs and cats living together thing. Haha

I can't figure out why you'd throw Lester opening day since he didn't really have a spring. I guess it was more of a hype thing. The Wainwright/Lester matchup.

lefty08

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 06, 2015, 11:14:40 am
Agreed.  And Lefty08, we've all been assigned Erie's latest book, "Humility and How I Obtained It", so get on that please.

Eh, I'm good haha
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

lefty08

Quote from: clutch on April 06, 2015, 04:58:35 pm
I can't figure out why you'd throw Lester opening day since he didn't really have a spring. I guess it was more of a hype thing. The Wainwright/Lester matchup.

Well tbh I agree with you. Both pitchers weren't near their normal stuff. Both got hit pretty hard, tHe cards just got timely hits, and the Cubs struck it on pitches out of the strike zone as usual. I expect to see more of both

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 06, 2015, 04:58:35 pm

Who pays a pitcher unable to execute a pickoff $150+ mil?

lefty08

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 06, 2015, 05:58:15 pm
Who pays a pitcher unable to execute a pickoff $150+ mil?

How many sbs did st Louis have last night?

There's a huge difference in can't and doesnt

jrulz83

Quote from: lefty08 on April 06, 2015, 06:19:14 pm
How many sbs did st Louis have last night?

There's a huge difference in can't and doesnt

4, the most in a game since 2012.....

Good luck with Billy Hamilton.

lefty08

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 06, 2015, 06:27:02 pm
4, the most in a game since 2012.....

Good luck with Billy Hamilton.

Not sure why you are being a jackass, but I remember 2 of them were on a Double steal with no throw from the catcher on a pitch in the dirt. I remember one guy thrown out at 2nd.

Edit: I remember Bourjos had 1 on a pitch run also, Lester wasn't in the game.

jrulz83

Quote from: lefty08 on April 06, 2015, 06:29:52 pm
Not sure why you are being a jackass, but I remember 2 of them were on a Double steal with no throw from the catcher on a pitch in the dirt. I remember one guy thrown out at 2nd.

Answering a question by stating a fact is being a jackass? Okay.

Again, it's the most steals the Cardinals have had in a game since 2012. They were looking to be aggressive against Lester because they know there is no fear of a decent pickoff move from him and the bad thing is; the Cardinals are not a base stealing team.

Billy Hamilton of the Reds will steal home on Lester if he gets an opportunity. Other teams will continue to exploit the weakness until Lester does something to stop them. How many of those steals will result in "cheap" runs by season's and contract's end? How many of those "cheap" runs will result in losses?

Call me names all you want, but it's going to be a huge problem for him until he stops teams from doing it.

lefty08

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 06, 2015, 06:42:45 pm
Answering a question by stating a fact is being a jackass? Okay.

Again, it's the most steals the Cardinals have had in a game since 2012. They were looking to be aggressive against Lester because they know there is no fear of a decent pickoff move from him and the bad thing is; the Cardinals are not a base stealing team.

Billy Hamilton of the Reds will steal home on Lester if he gets an opportunity. Other teams will continue to exploit the weakness until Lester does something to stop them. How many of those steals will result in "cheap" runs by season's and contract's end? How many of those "cheap" runs will result in losses?

Call me names all you want, but it's going to be a huge problem for him until he stops teams from doing it.

Ok

I think you deserve the name, I was actually being polite

You're right, It might become a problem

jrulz83

Quote from: lefty08 on April 06, 2015, 06:47:30 pm
Ok

I think you deserve the name, I was actually being polite

You're right, It might become a problem

It is a problem now, not might be, not could be. It is a problem now, today, this very second.

I will gladly bear any moniker that you would care to ascribe to me because nothing is worse than the moniker that you carry: Cubs fan.

lefty08

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 06, 2015, 07:11:29 pm
It is a problem now, not might be, not could be. It is a problem now, today, this very second.

I will gladly bear any moniker that you would care to ascribe to me because nothing is worse than the moniker that you carry: Cubs fan.

And there it is, just as I thought

You don't want discussion, you want to show your rear

I could explain to you only 1 of those steals was his fault, but I'm not gonna waste my breath

If you decide to grow up and want to discuss baseball I'll be here

jrulz83

Quote from: lefty08 on April 06, 2015, 07:18:40 pm

I could explain to you only 1 of those steals was his fault, but I'm not gonna waste my breath

Says the person that accused me of being a jackass because I intimated that Billy Hamilton would kill Lester....

I'll explain in three easy steps how every one of those steals except the Bourjos one was his fault.

Step 1) By never throwing over, base runners can take monster leads.

Step 2) By never throwing over, base runners that have the intention of stealing know that they can go on first movement.

Step 3) By allowing runners to go on first movement Lester forces his catcher to get rid of the ball extremely quickly. That puts the added pressure on the catcher that often results in no throws like on the double steal.

lefty08

The pitch on the double steal was in the dirt, no matter who pitches or catches it's gonna be a steal. He wasn't even in the game when Bourjos stole his base. Baserunners were 1 for 2 other than those 2 examples.

I don't think it's as big of a deal as you are insinuating

jrulz83

Quote from: lefty08 on April 06, 2015, 07:35:24 pm
The pitch on the double steal was in the dirt, no matter who pitches or catches it's gonna be a steal. He wasn't even in the game when Bourjos stole his base. Baserunners were 1 for 2 other than those 2 examples.

I don't think it's as big of a deal as you are insinuating

I said he was responsible for every steal except Bourjos did I not?

You better check the video, that pitch wasn't in the dirt.

1 for 2 otherwise, okay, how many steals did the Cardinals have last season? I'll answer, 57 for 28th out of the 30 team MLB. They are not a running team. What will a real running team do to Lester?

You're free to believe that it isn't a big deal, but little things make big differences over the course of the MLB season.

dhornjr1

clutch

Quote from: lefty08 on April 06, 2015, 07:18:40 pm

Really? He struck no fear in runners. There were a couple steals where the cardinals player was close to being thrown out. Without a large lead and good jump they were getting off a guy they knew wasn't going to throw over, it was a huge advantage for the cards. That falls on Lester. At this level, not being able to hold a runner close is a big deal........ And apparently not being able to throw to third either when he had Heyward dead to rights.

jrulz83

Rain/Freeze out tonight.  :'(

dacskc

I've been waiting MONTHS for baseball and to start the season, there's an off day and a rainout.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

dhornjr1

Quote from: dacskc on April 07, 2015, 06:24:46 pm
I've been waiting MONTHS for baseball and to start the season, there's an off day and a rainout.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

And they always have the off day after opening day in case there's a rainout on opening day.

Worked out great in this case, didn't it?

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 07, 2015, 06:48:48 pm
And they always have the off day after opening day in case there's a rainout on opening day.

Worked out great in this case, didn't it?

pigture perfect

Was it a rainout or faulty public restrooms at Wrigley? I've heard it both ways.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 07, 2015, 11:48:36 pm
Was it a rainout or faulty public restrooms at Wrigley? I've heard it both ways.

So have I, I think the Cubs are just scared of the Cardinals. 

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 07, 2015, 11:48:36 pm

How could they have possibly thought it was going to be alright to only have 2 functional restrooms on opening night?

dhornjr1

Attaway offense! Woo hoo!

jrulz83

There goes the undefeated season. >:(

Lynn pitched great, the offense has had trouble with Arrieta going back to last year and that continued today. The good thing about baseball is you get to play tomorrow Friday.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 08, 2015, 06:31:35 pm
There goes the undefeated season. >:(

Lynn pitched great, the offense has had trouble with Arrieta going back to last year and that continued today. The good thing about baseball is you get to play tomorrow Friday.

They used score eleventy eight runs a game for Lynn. Now, they can't push across one. (smh)

Baseball...

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 08, 2015, 07:15:03 pm
They used score eleventy eight runs a game for Lynn. Now, they can't push across one. (smh)

Baseball...

It's a cruel game.

pigture perfect

Why don't they make up the game tomorrow?

dhornjr1

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 08, 2015, 08:47:59 pm

That'd be too much like right.

Horsesrus

My guess is they would prefer to make it up later in the year, preferably summer, when the stadium is more fan friendly (like having restrooms) and they could sell a lot more tickets.

jrulz83

Because they're the Cubs, oh yeah and the weather in Chicago still sucks.

jrulz83

April 10, 2015, 11:05:35 am #87 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:16:23 pm by jrulz83
Starting pitchers for the Cincinnati series:

Friday: John Lackey vs. Jason Marquis (making his first start since 2013)

Saturday: Michael Wacha vs. Johnny Cueto (Jason LaRue cleats to the face)

Sunday Carlos Martinez vs. Raisel Iglesias (making his MLB debut)

Looks to be some interesting pitching matchups in this series.

pigture perfect

Marquis had some decent years for the Cards. Sure wish he pitche'd for just about anyone else.

jrulz83

McKdaddy

Matt Adams,

The season has started.

Sincerely,

McK

McKdaddy

jrulz83

clutch

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 10, 2015, 08:14:14 pm
Can Grichuk play 1b?

I'm a big Grichuk fan. Hopefully he sees a lot of PT this year. Wish he played center or something.

Adams baffles me. We need him to become a power hitter. Or right now, just a hitter.

jrulz83

Three games in and there are a lot of the same warning signs from last season of a similarly stagnant offense.

It's waaaaay too early to worry though. Especially when you consider the way the schedule has worked out so far with all the off days right at the beginning of the season. If we're 25-30 games into it and things aren't moving in the right direction for the offense I'll start worrying.

The potential for a good offense is there, but some of the hitters are severely streaky (Jay,Peralta,Holliday). That can lead to the sputtering offense that we endured last season. But there is a long season in front of us and every season has its own intricacies that play out.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 10, 2015, 09:51:43 pm
Three games in and there are a lot of the same warning signs from last season of a similarly stagnant offense.

It's waaaaay too early to worry though. Especially when you consider the way the schedule has worked out so far with all the off days right at the beginning of the season. If we're 25-30 games into it and things aren't moving in the right direction for the offense I'll start worrying.

The potential for a good offense is there, but some of the hitters are severely streaky (Jay,Peralta,Holliday). That can lead to the sputtering offense that we endured last season. But there is a long season in front of us and every season has its own intricacies that play out.

10 hits tonight. Runs will start coming eventually I think.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 10, 2015, 10:36:43 pm
10 hits tonight. Runs will start coming eventually I think.

I feel that way too, but I felt the same way all last year and the offense never was consistent. The potential is there it just has to come together.

It was good to see Peralta get a two out RBI tonight; hopefully we'll see some more of that from him. It seems to me that Marquis has always been a tough pitcher in April; so to get 3 runs off of him in an early season game is probably a pretty good sign. Marquis was always frustrating to me when he pitched for the Cardinals, it always seemed like he'd run his record to 12-2 or something and just fade down the stretch and wind up 13-14.

jrulz83

Adams off the schneid with a 355 footer, he's 1 for 11 to start the season.

pigture perfect

We beat cueto, clap clap clapclapclap!!!

My least favorite player in MLB.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 11, 2015, 12:55:12 pm
Adams off the schneid with a 355 footer, he's 1 for 11 to start the season.

Obviously he read what I posted last night.

Let me try this again. We need the new skinny Yadi to gain some of his power back.